Robert N. Golden and Joseph E. Kerschner Published 6:00 a.m. CT Aug. 19, 2020
You do not have to be a doctor to understand the terrible impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In Wisconsin, new COVID-19 infections continue to rise. The virus has killed more than 1,000 Wisconsinites almost 225 in the past 30 days alone. Similar trends are occurring nationwide.
Our country needs a new path forward in the battle against the virus. The states two medical schools the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health and the Medical College of Wisconsin are heading up this fight by launching innovative COVID-19 clinical trials, developing rapid diagnostic testing, studying the complexities of this virusand increasing our capacity to offer telehealth and virtual visits. Our physicians, nurses and other health care professionals are working tirelessly.
But these frontline fighters need support from everyone to limit the spread of this virus.
The Association of American Medical Collegesrecently released a road map to reset the nations approach to the pandemic. It proposes evidence-based steps for immediate action.
Wisconsins medical schools support this plan. COVID-19 has not been contained by the current patchwork approach. To win the war against this virus, we desperately need an organized plan of attack particularly for supplies, testingand standards.
Combating COVID-19 requires robust and intact supply chains. Shortages in laboratory equipment, personal protective equipmentand other vital medical supplies (which our institutions and others throughout Wisconsin have already encountered) leave everyone vulnerable. We have conserved PPE and developed creative approaches to obtain and make new PPE, but its not enough.
The AAMC plan urges the federal government to invoke the Defense Production Act or other means to increase domestic production of such supplies. So no facility is caught short, the government should set thresholds and develop regional warehouses and stockpiles, with attention to greatest-need areas.
To fight effectively, we need to know where the enemy is. That requires testing. We embrace AAMCs recommendation for enhanced COVID-19 daily testing to identify flare-ups. This will require federal coordination of testing and supply levels. We need a central web portal for records so we can react swiftly to shortages in testing supplies. We also need rapid delivery of test results. This is critical. Since COVID-19 spread often occurs before an infected person shows symptoms, three things are essential: readily available testing, rapid reporting of resultsand contact tracing when an individual is positive.
We need consistent tactics to battle this virus. We support national standards for face coverings. Our nation needs uniform criteria for stay-at-home orders, reopening businessesand in-person instruction at K-12 schools. We support the AAMCs guidance for face coverings. While there are horrible disparities among certain populations, and some location-specific challenges, the biology of the virus does not vary from city to city or state to state. National standards will allow all communities to make informed decisions.
These steps must be taken immediately. The road map also charts a longer-term path forward to help minimize or prevent the next pandemic, because a lasting peace in this war requires planning.
We encourage the people of Wisconsin to support this road map, which provides a clear path away from the ravages of COVID-19 and toward a safe, healthy state.
Robert N. Golden, MD, is dean of the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Joseph E. Kerschner, MD is dean of theMedical College of Wisconsin School of Medicine.
- Trump Embraces Fringe Theories on Protests and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Elites are flouting coronavirus restrictions -- and that could hurt us all - CNN - August 31st, 2020
- Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported to New York State - ny.gov - August 31st, 2020
- How Italy's 'father of the swabs' fought the coronavirus - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Alaska coronavirus Q&A: How are people here getting COVID-19? And what's the deal with testing numbers? - Anchorage Daily News - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus news of the week (VIDEO) - Live Science - August 31st, 2020
- A case of coronavirus reinfection shows the complexities of the pandemic - The Verge - August 31st, 2020
- New drool-based tests are replacing the dreaded coronavirus nasal swab - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- How Minnesota's biggest beef producer is weathering the coronavirus - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- When the Threat of Eviction Meets the Threat of Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus worries force election officials to get creative - Wink News - August 31st, 2020
- This Trawlers Haul: Evidence That Antibodies Block the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- NIH imposes 'outrageous' conditions on resuming coronavirus grant targeted by Trump - Science Magazine - August 20th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Wednesday, August 19 - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: University of North Carolina temporarily suspends fall sports; Pope warns against the rich getting vaccine first - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020
- If New Zealand's Covid-19 outbreak is 'terrible' like Trump says, then how bad is the rest of the world? - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Faster test results and 'robust' immune response may offer hope of curbing the pandemic, experts say - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Why Pooled Testing for the Coronavirus Isn't Working - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus outbreak linked to wedding reception in Maine - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Gov. Justice hosts Dr. Deborah Birx, White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, to discuss West Virginia virus response - West... - August 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Daily Update 8-19-2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - August 20th, 2020
- A person with Covid-19 may have exposed others at a bar during Sturgis motorcycle rally - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- White House focus on oleandrin treatment for coronavirus would be 'nonsense,' experts say - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- August 19 evening update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 20th, 2020
- Masks blunt the spread of coronavirus but not all are created equal - The Guardian - August 20th, 2020
- Few signs of collective mourning as the US tops 170,000 coronavirus deaths - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is spreading in schools, but the federal government isn't keeping count - NBC News - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers hope this old-fashioned treatment will work for coronavirus - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Older Children and the Coronavirus: A New Wrinkle in the Debate - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Here's what's behind all those backlogged coronavirus cases across Texas - The Dallas Morning News - August 20th, 2020
- Potential Rising Income Streams and Equity Retirement Solutions - Dividend.com - August 10th, 2020
- Millions of America's working poor may lose out on key anti-poverty tax credit because of the pandemic - Chicago Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Ive Witnessed the Decline of the Republican Party - The Atlantic - August 10th, 2020
- Pyxis Tankers Announces Financial Results for the Three and Six Months Ended June 30, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: 97,000 kids tested positive the last two weeks of July; college football faces decision time on fall season - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- Breaking down the executive actions Trump signed on coronavirus relief - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Brazil Reaches Milestone of More Than 100,000 Covid-19 Deaths and 3 Million Cases - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Looking Beyond The Coronavirus Numbers As Plans Are Put In Place For Returning To School, Restaurants Face Restrictions - CBS Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2020
- August 9 update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- Black and Hispanic children are impacted more severely by coronavirus, research shows - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Why the Coronavirus Is More Likely to Superspread Than the Flu - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Japan's coronavirus fatigue is fueling defiance in Tokyo, even as the case count rises - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Hours of Talks on U.S. Coronavirus Relief End With No Deal - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Nation hits 5 million coronavirus cases with few signs of slowing - NBC News - August 10th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus Monday, Aug. 10 - KING5.com - August 10th, 2020
- Farm Workers Harvest Crops With Few Protections From The Coronavirus : Shots - Health News - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Daily Update 8-9-2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: Trump's executive order on unemployment could take months to implement; hundreds quarantining in Ga. school district - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tests positive for coronavirus -- and then tests negative on second test - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Inside the federal prison where three out of every four inmates have tested positive for coronavirus - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Global deaths surpass 700,000; Vietnam reports further rise of infections - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- Trump administration steps in as advocacy groups warn of Covid 'death panels' - POLITICO - August 10th, 2020
- Europe's biggest countries are seeing Covid surges -- but not this one - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- More than 97,000 children tested positive for Covid-19 in the last two weeks of July, report says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Mexicos Coronavirus Struggle Worsened by Fear of Hospitals - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Study: 14 Face Masks, Here Are The Best, Worst For Covid-19 Coronavirus - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus testing: How it works, why Utah's tests are down, and what's coming next? - Salt Lake Tribune - August 10th, 2020
- Your Hot-Weather Guide to Coronavirus, Air-Conditioning and Airflow - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- How San Francisco succeeded more than other U.S. cities in fighting the coronavirus - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- 17 new coronavirus cases have been reported in Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 9th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus in Arizona Aug. 9 - 12news.com KPNX - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Heres What Happened This Week - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus Sunday, Aug. 9 - KING5.com - August 9th, 2020
- How fast is the coronavirus spreading (or not) in Philadelphia? Check this chart - Billy Penn - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Americans are moving around too much and taking coronavirus with them, expert says - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- Fact Check: Will there be a coronavirus vaccine by November? - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- One man with coronavirus attending Ohio church service led to infection of 91 others - NBC News - August 8th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Friday, August 7 - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- With Old Allies Turning Against Her, Birx Presses On Against the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Trump singles out Texas and Florida for help with coronavirus response - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- This Week in Coronavirus: July 31 to August 6 - Kaiser Family Foundation - August 8th, 2020
- St. Louis Cardinals have another series postponed because of positive coronavirus tests - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- At Europes Illegal Parties, Coronavirus Is the Last Thing on Anyones Mind - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- The Roach Unit is the only Texas prison reporting zero coronavirus cases - The Texas Tribune - August 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus in Oregon: 423 new infections and 9 deaths - oregonlive.com - August 8th, 2020
- Suspension Lifted of Georgia Student Who Posted Photos of Crowded Hall - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- 20 new coronavirus cases have been reported in Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- Saying goodbye to dying wife likely cost 90-year-old 'Romeo' his life. He had no regrets, family says. - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020