All that information in reality would expose how biased his investigation was, Rodriguez said.
But the defense was thwarted by Judge Mary Staley Clark, who sustained repeated state objections that served to protect Persinger. Harris was ultimately found guilty of maliciously killing his son and is serving a life sentence plus 32 years in prison.
His hearing for a new trial concluded Tuesday.
It wasnt just the experts like Persinger who found safe haven in Staley Clarks rulings, the defense alleges. There were also the Cobb County police investigators who, according to Harris defense, provided false testimony to secure search warrants.
Everything was biased in their minds and continued to get worse, as I saw it, defense co-counsel Bryan Lumpkin testified. We werent allowed to put up the evidence that bore that out.
With Staley Clark presiding, Harris appellate lawyer, Mitch Durham, argued Tuesday that Staley Clarks decisions in the 2016 murder trial made it impossible for his client to receive a fair shake. While Staley Clark is not expected to rule against herself, testimony from this weeks hearing will inform the appeal likely to follow in the Georgia Supreme Court.
Persinger, for example, made several nefarious insinuations about the time Harris spent on a psychologists website right before Coopers death. It was clear, Rodriguez testified Tuesday, that Persinger either did not know Harris had contracted with the psychologist to develop his site or prosecutors were trying to pull a fast one on me.
I wanted to confront him with all the easily available, easily discoverable information that wouldve made it clear to him (that Harris) wasnt involved in some kind of conniving plan to prepare for a criminal trial, Rodriguez said. All that information in reality would expose how biased his investigation was.
But he didnt get the chance.
You cant impeach someone with evidence they didnt know, Cobb Assistant District Attorney Linda Dunikoski said Tuesday, explaining the states position in the 2016 trial. Staley Clark sided with the state back then. It remains to be seen whether shes changed her mind.
Dunikoski fought back against defense claims that the judge prevented them from thoroughly challenging state witnesses.
Quoting lead defense counsel Maddox Kilgore, In his opinion, they did a great job of destroying law enforcement, Dunikoski said.
There was additional unfounded testimony about Harris from state witnesses, according to the defense. He never created a Whisper post saying I hate being married with kids, nor did he search for information about how long it takes for a child to die in a hot car, Rodriguez said.
Whether those factors amount to substantial harm requiring a new trial will be up to Judge Staley Clark, whose ruling will come sometime in the new year.
Harris, who appeared via Zoom at the virtual hearing, remains incarcerated at Macon State Prison in south central Georgia.
- Another Way the Coronavirus Is Outsmarting Us - The Atlantic - August 5th, 2022
- The Origins of Covid-19 Are More Complicated Than Once Thought - WIRED - August 5th, 2022
- Data limitations are making it harder to detect when COVID-19 is surging in Virginia - Virginia Mercury - August 5th, 2022
- Long covid: One in 8 have symptoms months after coronavirus infection - New Scientist - August 5th, 2022
- 8 Facts You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Vaccine & Pregnancy - Healthline - August 5th, 2022
- Coronavirus Today: Experts are taking a softer stance on masking; it's a different pandemic - Los Angeles Times - August 5th, 2022
- BD's base business growth in Q3 offset by drop in COVID-19 testing - MedTech Dive - August 5th, 2022
- 2022-2023 school year: Will coronavirus protocols change? Will there be weekly testing for NYC students? - SILive.com - August 5th, 2022
- 114 coronavirus cases reported in a week in Apache Junction, Gold Canyon area - Daily Independent - August 5th, 2022
- Hawaii Department of Health reports 3,689 new infections, 21 coronavirus-related deaths - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 5th, 2022
- Travel to Mexico during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - The Mercury News - August 5th, 2022
- Libraries Help Educate About COVID-19 Vaccination Ahead of Schoolyear - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2022
- Coronavirus - Delaware's Coronavirus Official Website - June 29th, 2022
- Corona Virus Update - Avery County - June 29th, 2022
- COVID-19 mutations spreading in Austin-Travis County, reinfections may be more severe - KXAN.com - June 29th, 2022
- Covid-19: What are the risks of catching the virus multiple times? - New Scientist - June 29th, 2022
- The Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 have together become dominant in the U.S., the C.D.C. estimates. - The New York Times - June 29th, 2022
- 'Better vaccines' needed to cover COVID variants, infectious disease experts say - KSTP - June 29th, 2022
- Coronavirus cases on the rise once again - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - June 29th, 2022
- The 5 Most Dangerous Spots You Can Catch Coronavirus Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 29th, 2022
- Gravity Diagnostics closes COVID-19 testing sites as fewer in the Tri-State get tested - WCPO 9 Cincinnati - June 29th, 2022
- Bill Gates Tests Positive for Coronavirus - The New York Times - May 12th, 2022
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2022
- Half of Covid-hospitalised still symptomatic two years on, study finds - The Guardian - May 12th, 2022
- Sulfur Burps and Diarrhea: Is It COVID-19 or Something Else? - Healthline - May 12th, 2022
- Severe COVID-19 may cause cognitive deficits equivalent to 20 years of aging - Medical News Today - May 12th, 2022
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) WHO Thailand Situation Report 235 - 11 May 2022 - Thailand - ReliefWeb - May 12th, 2022
- Variants of the Virus that Causes COVID-19 - Coronavirus - Virginia Department of Health - May 12th, 2022
- How We'll Know When The COVID-19 Crisis Is Over - NPR - July 12th, 2021
- Lambda Variant Of Covid-19 Coronavirus Is Spreading, What You Need To Know - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- New Zealand, where Covid-19 is dormant, fights another respiratory virus, and other news from around the world. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Bat Scientists Warn That the World May Never Know Covid-19 Origins - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- FLORIDA Florida reports rise in coronavirus cases over the past week WINK NEWS - Wink News - July 12th, 2021
- Breath-Based Coronavirus Tests Are Being Developed - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Fauci says there should be more coronavirus vaccine mandates at the local level - Anchorage Daily News - July 12th, 2021
- South Africa extends tight COVID-19 restrictions for another 14 days - Reuters - July 12th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 9 July - World Economic Forum - July 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases in the Netherlands surge more than 800% in one week - BNO News - July 12th, 2021
- Over three-quarters of Britons re-evaluate their lives during Covid - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- COVID outbreaks: Where are the worst COVID-19 surges in the world? - Deseret News - July 12th, 2021
- Israel offers third shot of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to adults at risk - Reuters - July 12th, 2021
- Americans will need masks indoors as U.S. heads for 'dangerous fall' with surge in delta Covid cases - CNBC - July 12th, 2021
- Rob Schneiders Tweets About Covid-19 Vaccines Got These Responses - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- 173 infected in new coronavirus outbreaks at 41 schools, says Michigans April 19 school outbreak report - mlive.com - April 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 18, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 20th, 2021
- Heres what it would take to cut Ohios coronavirus cases in half - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- U.K. Coronavirus Strain Does Not Lead To More Severe Illness And Death, Study Finds - NPR - April 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases trend down in Ohio after weeks of increases; hospitalizations still up - latest trends and - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- Florida mother and nurse finally leaves hospital after 111 days fighting coronavirus - FOX 35 Orlando - April 20th, 2021
- What the Coronavirus Variants Mean for Testing - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- How the Coronavirus Variants Are Spreading in New York City - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- Cleveland Indians trending toward 85% vaccination rate for coronavirus - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- Covenant Health closes all drive-thru coronavirus testing sites - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - April 20th, 2021
- Four Astros on COVID-19 list tentatively set to rejoin team - Houston Chronicle - April 20th, 2021
- No, Having Raw Onions And Salt Cannot Cure Coronavirus - The Quint - April 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 133 total new cases; Death toll remains at 1,953; Active cases at 2,153 - KELOLAND.com - April 20th, 2021
- Covid updates: U.S. cases and hospitalizations drop; Mexico close to approving Russian vaccine - CNBC - February 4th, 2021
- One Emergency After Another: Wisconsin Governor And Legislators Battle Over COVID-19 - NPR - February 4th, 2021
- Dr. Fauci On Vaccinations And Biden's 'Refreshing' Approach To COVID-19 - NPR - February 4th, 2021
- EmitBio Demonstrates New Treatment Is Effective Against Multiple Types Of Coronavirus - The Mountaineer - February 4th, 2021
- A Year Into The Pandemic, What's Driving Varied Coronavirus Rates Across Wisconsin? - WisContext - February 4th, 2021
- Disinfecting a Car to Protect Against Germs, Coronavirus - Healthline - February 4th, 2021
- Why same 84 Ohio counties are on coronavirus red alert again this week, though orange counties arent at bott - cleveland.com - February 4th, 2021
- The shift from nought to hedonism overnight was too much for this lockdown zombie - Evening Standard - December 17th, 2020
- An impressive, multi-layered combination of players and instruments - Morning Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- Londoners party on eve of tougher COVID restrictions - Reuters UK - December 17th, 2020
- Review: 'Ferdinand, the Man With the Kind Heart,' by Irmgard Keun - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 17th, 2020
- Government take heed: Some goals are best achieved indirectly - The Daily Telegram - December 17th, 2020
- Blind Evolution Explained Everything - Discovery Institute - December 17th, 2020
- Melii And Sainvil Bubble With Tension In New Visual For HBK - RESPECT. - December 17th, 2020
- The Weekend Edit: Party Like It's 2021! - The Handbook - December 17th, 2020
- How to be happy | | bryantimes.com - The Bryan Times - December 17th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans final performance in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is one of searching intensity - iNews - December 17th, 2020
- Leeds pubs and bars react as Tier 3 rule remains meaning they can't open to customers at Christmas - Yorkshire Evening Post - December 17th, 2020
- My Favorite Fiction of 2020 - The New Yorker - December 17th, 2020
- BRIAN JOSEPH: On the joy and importance of small pleasures during COVID - TheChronicleHerald.ca - December 17th, 2020
- The Hanukkah Menorah to Light Up the World - jewishboston.com - December 17th, 2020
- The joy of a canceled Christmas - The Spectator US - December 17th, 2020
- A top 10 list of the best banned literary filth - The Irish Times - December 17th, 2020