All that information in reality would expose how biased his investigation was, Rodriguez said.
But the defense was thwarted by Judge Mary Staley Clark, who sustained repeated state objections that served to protect Persinger. Harris was ultimately found guilty of maliciously killing his son and is serving a life sentence plus 32 years in prison.
His hearing for a new trial concluded Tuesday.
It wasnt just the experts like Persinger who found safe haven in Staley Clarks rulings, the defense alleges. There were also the Cobb County police investigators who, according to Harris defense, provided false testimony to secure search warrants.
Everything was biased in their minds and continued to get worse, as I saw it, defense co-counsel Bryan Lumpkin testified. We werent allowed to put up the evidence that bore that out.
With Staley Clark presiding, Harris appellate lawyer, Mitch Durham, argued Tuesday that Staley Clarks decisions in the 2016 murder trial made it impossible for his client to receive a fair shake. While Staley Clark is not expected to rule against herself, testimony from this weeks hearing will inform the appeal likely to follow in the Georgia Supreme Court.
Persinger, for example, made several nefarious insinuations about the time Harris spent on a psychologists website right before Coopers death. It was clear, Rodriguez testified Tuesday, that Persinger either did not know Harris had contracted with the psychologist to develop his site or prosecutors were trying to pull a fast one on me.
I wanted to confront him with all the easily available, easily discoverable information that wouldve made it clear to him (that Harris) wasnt involved in some kind of conniving plan to prepare for a criminal trial, Rodriguez said. All that information in reality would expose how biased his investigation was.
But he didnt get the chance.
You cant impeach someone with evidence they didnt know, Cobb Assistant District Attorney Linda Dunikoski said Tuesday, explaining the states position in the 2016 trial. Staley Clark sided with the state back then. It remains to be seen whether shes changed her mind.
Dunikoski fought back against defense claims that the judge prevented them from thoroughly challenging state witnesses.
Quoting lead defense counsel Maddox Kilgore, In his opinion, they did a great job of destroying law enforcement, Dunikoski said.
There was additional unfounded testimony about Harris from state witnesses, according to the defense. He never created a Whisper post saying I hate being married with kids, nor did he search for information about how long it takes for a child to die in a hot car, Rodriguez said.
Whether those factors amount to substantial harm requiring a new trial will be up to Judge Staley Clark, whose ruling will come sometime in the new year.
Harris, who appeared via Zoom at the virtual hearing, remains incarcerated at Macon State Prison in south central Georgia.
- What Is Coronavirus? | Johns Hopkins Medicine - December 14th, 2022
- What are the most common COVID symptoms now? Its no longer fever, loss of taste - AL.com - December 14th, 2022
- Experts Baffled by Why NASA’s “Red Crew” Wear Blue Shirts - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities Are Officially Being Sued by FTX Retail Investors - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Tells Astronauts That Tweeting Isn't As Important as Staying Alive - November 20th, 2022
- "Elon" Plummets in Popularity as a Baby Name for Some Reason - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Drops Stunning New James Webb Image of a Star Being Born - November 20th, 2022
- Ticketmaster May Have Finally Met Its Match: Furious Swifties - November 20th, 2022
- Celebrities' Bored Apes Are Hilariously Worthless Now - November 20th, 2022
- Startup Says It's Building a Giant CO2 Battery in the United States - November 20th, 2022
- FDA Gives First Go Ahead for Lab Grown Meat Product - November 20th, 2022
- Sam Bankman-Fried Admits the "Ethics Stuff" Was "Mostly a Front" - November 20th, 2022
- Elon Musk Locks Twitter Employees Out Office, Then Asks Them to Meet Him on the 10th Floor - November 20th, 2022
- Former Facebook Exec Says Zuckerberg Has Surrounded Himself With Sycophants - November 20th, 2022
- Panicked Elon Musk Reportedly Begging Engineers Not to Leave - November 20th, 2022
- NASA Orders Press Not to Photograph Launch Site After Moon Mission Takes Off - November 20th, 2022
- Twitter Claims Video of Moon Rocket Launch Is Revenge Porn - November 20th, 2022
- So Many People Are Using a Diabetes Drug for Weight Loss That Actual Diabetics Are Having Trouble Getting It - November 20th, 2022
- Experts Excoriate NASA Report Claiming James Webb Wasn't Homophobic - November 20th, 2022
- Behind the Lawsuit Against Celebs Who Shilled FTX Before Its Spectacular Meltdown - November 20th, 2022
- Amazing Map Lets You Scroll Through the Entire Known Universe - November 20th, 2022
- Greta Thunberg Says UN Climate Conference Is a Scam and She's Not Attending - November 4th, 2022
- Manslaughter Case Has a Strange Twist: Tesla That Killed Couple Was on Autopilot - November 4th, 2022
- Twitter Working on Plan to Charge Users to Watch Videos - November 4th, 2022
- NASA Sets Launch Date for Mission to $10 Quintillion Asteroid - November 4th, 2022
- This Deepfake AI Singing Dolly Parton's "Jolene" Is Worryingly Good - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Use Actual Lunar Soil Sample to Create Rocket Fuel - November 4th, 2022
- There's Something Strange About How These Stars Are Moving, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Spot "Stripped, Pulsating Core" of Star Caused By Horrific Accident - November 4th, 2022
- Cats May Be Tampering With Crime Scenes, Scientists Say - November 4th, 2022
- Scientists Found a Way to Control How High Mice Got on Cocaine - November 4th, 2022
- China Plans to Send Monkeys to Space Station to Have Sex With Each Other - November 4th, 2022
- Elon Musk Meeting With Advertisers, Begging Them Not to Leave Twitter - November 4th, 2022
- US Gov to Crack Down on "Bossware" That Spies On Employees' Computers - November 4th, 2022
- AOC Says Her Twitter Account Broke After She Made Fun of Elon Musk - November 4th, 2022
- Chinese Spaceplane Releases Mystery Object Into Orbit - November 4th, 2022
- Jeff Bezos' Housekeeper Says She Had to Climb Out the Window to Use the Bathroom - November 4th, 2022
- Huge Drone Swarm to Form Giant Advertisement Over NYC Skyline - November 4th, 2022
- Hackers Just Took Down One of the World's Most Advanced Telescopes - November 4th, 2022
- That "Research" About How Smartphones Are Causing Deformed Human Bodies Is SEO Spam, You Idiots - November 4th, 2022
- Another Way the Coronavirus Is Outsmarting Us - The Atlantic - August 5th, 2022
- The Origins of Covid-19 Are More Complicated Than Once Thought - WIRED - August 5th, 2022
- Data limitations are making it harder to detect when COVID-19 is surging in Virginia - Virginia Mercury - August 5th, 2022
- Long covid: One in 8 have symptoms months after coronavirus infection - New Scientist - August 5th, 2022
- 8 Facts You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Vaccine & Pregnancy - Healthline - August 5th, 2022
- Coronavirus Today: Experts are taking a softer stance on masking; it's a different pandemic - Los Angeles Times - August 5th, 2022
- BD's base business growth in Q3 offset by drop in COVID-19 testing - MedTech Dive - August 5th, 2022
- 2022-2023 school year: Will coronavirus protocols change? Will there be weekly testing for NYC students? - SILive.com - August 5th, 2022
- 114 coronavirus cases reported in a week in Apache Junction, Gold Canyon area - Daily Independent - August 5th, 2022
- Hawaii Department of Health reports 3,689 new infections, 21 coronavirus-related deaths - Honolulu Star-Advertiser - August 5th, 2022
- Travel to Mexico during Covid-19: What you need to know before you go - The Mercury News - August 5th, 2022
- Libraries Help Educate About COVID-19 Vaccination Ahead of Schoolyear - NBC4 Washington - August 5th, 2022
- Coronavirus - Delaware's Coronavirus Official Website - June 29th, 2022
- Corona Virus Update - Avery County - June 29th, 2022
- COVID-19 mutations spreading in Austin-Travis County, reinfections may be more severe - KXAN.com - June 29th, 2022
- Covid-19: What are the risks of catching the virus multiple times? - New Scientist - June 29th, 2022
- The Omicron subvariants BA.4 and BA.5 have together become dominant in the U.S., the C.D.C. estimates. - The New York Times - June 29th, 2022
- 'Better vaccines' needed to cover COVID variants, infectious disease experts say - KSTP - June 29th, 2022
- Coronavirus cases on the rise once again - KAMR - MyHighPlains.com - June 29th, 2022
- The 5 Most Dangerous Spots You Can Catch Coronavirus Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 29th, 2022
- Gravity Diagnostics closes COVID-19 testing sites as fewer in the Tri-State get tested - WCPO 9 Cincinnati - June 29th, 2022
- Bill Gates Tests Positive for Coronavirus - The New York Times - May 12th, 2022
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic - World Economic Forum - May 12th, 2022
- Half of Covid-hospitalised still symptomatic two years on, study finds - The Guardian - May 12th, 2022
- Sulfur Burps and Diarrhea: Is It COVID-19 or Something Else? - Healthline - May 12th, 2022
- Severe COVID-19 may cause cognitive deficits equivalent to 20 years of aging - Medical News Today - May 12th, 2022
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) WHO Thailand Situation Report 235 - 11 May 2022 - Thailand - ReliefWeb - May 12th, 2022
- Variants of the Virus that Causes COVID-19 - Coronavirus - Virginia Department of Health - May 12th, 2022
- How We'll Know When The COVID-19 Crisis Is Over - NPR - July 12th, 2021
- Lambda Variant Of Covid-19 Coronavirus Is Spreading, What You Need To Know - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- New Zealand, where Covid-19 is dormant, fights another respiratory virus, and other news from around the world. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Bat Scientists Warn That the World May Never Know Covid-19 Origins - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- FLORIDA Florida reports rise in coronavirus cases over the past week WINK NEWS - Wink News - July 12th, 2021
- Breath-Based Coronavirus Tests Are Being Developed - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Fauci says there should be more coronavirus vaccine mandates at the local level - Anchorage Daily News - July 12th, 2021
- South Africa extends tight COVID-19 restrictions for another 14 days - Reuters - July 12th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 9 July - World Economic Forum - July 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases in the Netherlands surge more than 800% in one week - BNO News - July 12th, 2021
- Over three-quarters of Britons re-evaluate their lives during Covid - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- COVID outbreaks: Where are the worst COVID-19 surges in the world? - Deseret News - July 12th, 2021