JERUSALEM, July 11 (Reuters) - Israel said on Sunday it will begin offering a third dose of Pfizer Inc's (PFE.N) vaccine to adults with weak immune systems but it was still weighing whether to make the booster available to the general public.
The rapid spread of the Delta variant has sent vaccination rates in Israel back up as new infections have risen over the past month from single digits to around 450 a day, and the country has moved to fast-track its next Pfizer shipment.
Health Minister Nitzan Horowitz said that effective immediately, adults with impaired immune systems who had received two doses of the Pfizer vaccine could get a booster shot, with a decision pending on wider distribution.
Pfizer and partner BioNTech SE , the main suppliers in a swift Israeli vaccination rollout that began in December, said on Thursday they will ask U.S. and European regulators within weeks to authorize booster shots.
The two companies cited an increased risk of infection after six months in seeking permission for a third shot.
Drawing criticism from some scientists and officials, the companies did not share the data showing that risk, but said it would soon be made public. They also cited recent Israeli data. read more
"We are examining this issue and we still do not have a final answer," Horowitz, speaking on Kan public radio, said about a booster for the general population in Israel.
"In any case we are administering as of now a third shot to people suffering from immunodeficiency."
About half of the 46 patients presently hospitalised in Israel in severe condition are vaccinated, and the majority are from risk groups, according to the health authorities. About 5.7 million out of Israel 9.3 population has received at leas one dose.
Israel was not going to rush into any decision on booster shots for the general public, Sharon Alroy-Preis, head of public health at the Health Ministry said.
"It's rather complex. We're presently seeing outbreaks largely among children and their parents who weren't necessarily vaccinated in January and February and we need to identify the (statistical) biases," Alroy-Preis told Kan.
It was still unclear, Alroy-Preis added, whether the vaccine was simply less effective against the Delta variant and if illness rates among those vaccinated in January and February were higher than for those who were inoculated later.
Horowitz said that separately, the health ministry would plug a Pfizer supply gap for ongoing two-dose inoculations of the general adult population by using Moderna Inc (MRNA.O) vaccines already in stock.
Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said in broadcast remarks to his cabinet on Sunday that he has agreed with Pfizer to bring forward the next delivery of doses to Aug 1. The shipment had been widely expected to arrive in September.
There was no immediate response from Pfizer to a request for comment.
Editing by Jeffrey Heller and Raissa Kasolowsky
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Read the original post:
- How We'll Know When The COVID-19 Crisis Is Over - NPR - July 12th, 2021
- Lambda Variant Of Covid-19 Coronavirus Is Spreading, What You Need To Know - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- New Zealand, where Covid-19 is dormant, fights another respiratory virus, and other news from around the world. - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Bat Scientists Warn That the World May Never Know Covid-19 Origins - The Wall Street Journal - July 12th, 2021
- FLORIDA Florida reports rise in coronavirus cases over the past week WINK NEWS - Wink News - July 12th, 2021
- Breath-Based Coronavirus Tests Are Being Developed - The New York Times - July 12th, 2021
- Fauci says there should be more coronavirus vaccine mandates at the local level - Anchorage Daily News - July 12th, 2021
- South Africa extends tight COVID-19 restrictions for another 14 days - Reuters - July 12th, 2021
- COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 9 July - World Economic Forum - July 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases in the Netherlands surge more than 800% in one week - BNO News - July 12th, 2021
- Over three-quarters of Britons re-evaluate their lives during Covid - The Guardian - July 12th, 2021
- COVID outbreaks: Where are the worst COVID-19 surges in the world? - Deseret News - July 12th, 2021
- Americans will need masks indoors as U.S. heads for 'dangerous fall' with surge in delta Covid cases - CNBC - July 12th, 2021
- Rob Schneiders Tweets About Covid-19 Vaccines Got These Responses - Forbes - July 12th, 2021
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- 173 infected in new coronavirus outbreaks at 41 schools, says Michigans April 19 school outbreak report - mlive.com - April 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus in Michigan: Heres what to know April 18, 2021 - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - April 20th, 2021
- Heres what it would take to cut Ohios coronavirus cases in half - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- U.K. Coronavirus Strain Does Not Lead To More Severe Illness And Death, Study Finds - NPR - April 20th, 2021
- Coronavirus cases trend down in Ohio after weeks of increases; hospitalizations still up - latest trends and - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- Florida mother and nurse finally leaves hospital after 111 days fighting coronavirus - FOX 35 Orlando - April 20th, 2021
- What the Coronavirus Variants Mean for Testing - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- How the Coronavirus Variants Are Spreading in New York City - The New York Times - April 20th, 2021
- Cleveland Indians trending toward 85% vaccination rate for coronavirus - cleveland.com - April 20th, 2021
- Covenant Health closes all drive-thru coronavirus testing sites - KLBK | KAMC | EverythingLubbock.com - April 20th, 2021
- Four Astros on COVID-19 list tentatively set to rejoin team - Houston Chronicle - April 20th, 2021
- No, Having Raw Onions And Salt Cannot Cure Coronavirus - The Quint - April 20th, 2021
- COVID-19 in South Dakota: 133 total new cases; Death toll remains at 1,953; Active cases at 2,153 - KELOLAND.com - April 20th, 2021
- Covid updates: U.S. cases and hospitalizations drop; Mexico close to approving Russian vaccine - CNBC - February 4th, 2021
- One Emergency After Another: Wisconsin Governor And Legislators Battle Over COVID-19 - NPR - February 4th, 2021
- Dr. Fauci On Vaccinations And Biden's 'Refreshing' Approach To COVID-19 - NPR - February 4th, 2021
- EmitBio Demonstrates New Treatment Is Effective Against Multiple Types Of Coronavirus - The Mountaineer - February 4th, 2021
- A Year Into The Pandemic, What's Driving Varied Coronavirus Rates Across Wisconsin? - WisContext - February 4th, 2021
- Disinfecting a Car to Protect Against Germs, Coronavirus - Healthline - February 4th, 2021
- Why same 84 Ohio counties are on coronavirus red alert again this week, though orange counties arent at bott - cleveland.com - February 4th, 2021
- The shift from nought to hedonism overnight was too much for this lockdown zombie - Evening Standard - December 17th, 2020
- An impressive, multi-layered combination of players and instruments - Morning Star Online - December 17th, 2020
- Londoners party on eve of tougher COVID restrictions - Reuters UK - December 17th, 2020
- Judge to decide whether her rulings deprived Ross Harris of fair trial - Atlanta Journal Constitution - December 17th, 2020
- Review: 'Ferdinand, the Man With the Kind Heart,' by Irmgard Keun - Minneapolis Star Tribune - December 17th, 2020
- Government take heed: Some goals are best achieved indirectly - The Daily Telegram - December 17th, 2020
- Blind Evolution Explained Everything - Discovery Institute - December 17th, 2020
- Melii And Sainvil Bubble With Tension In New Visual For HBK - RESPECT. - December 17th, 2020
- The Weekend Edit: Party Like It's 2021! - The Handbook - December 17th, 2020
- How to be happy | | bryantimes.com - The Bryan Times - December 17th, 2020
- Chadwick Bosemans final performance in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom is one of searching intensity - iNews - December 17th, 2020
- Leeds pubs and bars react as Tier 3 rule remains meaning they can't open to customers at Christmas - Yorkshire Evening Post - December 17th, 2020
- My Favorite Fiction of 2020 - The New Yorker - December 17th, 2020
- BRIAN JOSEPH: On the joy and importance of small pleasures during COVID - TheChronicleHerald.ca - December 17th, 2020
- The Hanukkah Menorah to Light Up the World - jewishboston.com - December 17th, 2020
- The joy of a canceled Christmas - The Spectator US - December 17th, 2020
- A top 10 list of the best banned literary filth - The Irish Times - December 17th, 2020
- 'The Stand' Early Buzz: The CBS All Access Stephen King Adaptation Gets Mixed Results - /FILM - December 17th, 2020
- FWD Transmissions: SHE Spells Doom - Drums of Affliction - Electronic Beats - December 5th, 2020
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' offers a better take with season 3, episode 8 'The Sanctuary' - Space.com - December 5th, 2020
- Can hypnotherapy root away your ailments? - Times of India - December 5th, 2020
- The Mandalorian: What Did Baby Yoda See In The Force? - Screen Rant - December 5th, 2020
- MR.BLACK brings the heat with reggae rave anthem 'Feel The Fire' on Showtek's label - We Rave You - December 5th, 2020
- Study: Ancient California Teens Took Hallucinogens as Part of Sacred Ritual Free Press of Jacksonville - Jacksonville Free Press - December 5th, 2020
- The 15 Best Techno Tracks of November 2020 - Magnetic Magazine - December 5th, 2020
- 9 fugas and Marygoround are the winning European titles at the Gijn Film Festival - Cineuropa - December 5th, 2020
- Harry, Meghan and memories of Princess Diana: The dark side of royalty - The Financial Express - December 5th, 2020
- W&W iconic festival anthem 'Lift Off!' turns 8 years old - We Rave You - December 5th, 2020
- Timmy Trumpet: I love people and that's what I miss the most about touring - We Rave You - December 5th, 2020
- What Are the Differences Between Trance and Techno? - One EDM - December 5th, 2020
- Suszynski: Knowing through imagination | VailDaily.com - Vail Daily News - December 5th, 2020
- Notice of prolongation of redemption date and partial redemption of convertible bonds PKG5 - GlobeNewswire - December 5th, 2020
- Trump Embraces Fringe Theories on Protests and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported to New York State - ny.gov - August 31st, 2020
- How Italy's 'father of the swabs' fought the coronavirus - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Alaska coronavirus Q&A: How are people here getting COVID-19? And what's the deal with testing numbers? - Anchorage Daily News - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus news of the week (VIDEO) - Live Science - August 31st, 2020
- A case of coronavirus reinfection shows the complexities of the pandemic - The Verge - August 31st, 2020
- New drool-based tests are replacing the dreaded coronavirus nasal swab - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- How Minnesota's biggest beef producer is weathering the coronavirus - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- When the Threat of Eviction Meets the Threat of Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus worries force election officials to get creative - Wink News - August 31st, 2020
- This Trawlers Haul: Evidence That Antibodies Block the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- NIH imposes 'outrageous' conditions on resuming coronavirus grant targeted by Trump - Science Magazine - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: University of North Carolina temporarily suspends fall sports; Pope warns against the rich getting vaccine first - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020