In list ranking countries response to the pandemic assessed by Foreign Policy Magazine, the United States ranks near the bottom.
"If you look at the mobility data collected from cell phones in many parts of the country, we're almost back to pre-Covid levels of mobility, so we're just not being as cautious as other people are in other countries," Murray told CNN's Wolf Blitzer on Friday.
"Number one, wash your hands. Number two, watch your distance -- meaning stay at least six feet from others and avoid crowded places. And number three, wear a face mask," Adams said.
One important factor to reopening the US while maintaining safety is rethinking the national strategy on testing for the virus, said Dr. Rajiv Shah, president of the Rockefeller Foundation and former USAID administrator.
Currently, only symptomatic people are frequently tested, meaning 40% to 50% of all spreaders, those who don't show symptoms, aren't being tested and told they may be contagious, he said.
"You have to know that as soon as possible, and then limit transmission from that node of contagion," he said during an Aspen Ideas webinar on Friday. "That's the whole ball game."
But even testing primarily symptomatic people been impacted by backlog, many states report.
The Virginia Department of Health reported a sharp increase of cases on Friday, but that increase came from a technical issue and a backlog from the two days prior, according to a statement.
And Miami-Dade County, the hotspot for cases in Florida, continues to struggle with a lag in testing results, according to state data obtained by CNN.
One day in the past week, testing labs reported that 19.2% of test results took more than seven days to deliver. On a different day, 45% of test results took between four and seven days.
Precautions matter for children, too
As schools reopen for the new school year, researchers are learning more about how the virus spreads among children.
A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention supports the early belief that most coronavirus cases in children appear to be either asymptomatic or mild. But, the report said, when children are hospitalized, they need the intensive care unit as often as adults do.
To slow the pandemic, the CDC said children should be encouraged to wash their hands often, keep a good physical distance away from others, and if they are 2 years of age or older, they should wear a mask when they are around people outside of their family members.
One rare but serious complication children can develop from a coronavirus infection is known as multisystem inflammatory syndrome, or MIS-C, and at least 570 cases have been reported, the CDC said.
As the pandemic continues, health care providers should be on the lookout for the syndrome that most commonly causes abdominal pain, vomiting and a skin rash.
More than 74% of the cases were among Hispanic and Black children, the CDC said.
Pandemic highlights racial disparities
For communities of color, Covid-19 has been a "double whammy" that shows the work the US needs to do to correct disparities in health and health care, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on Friday.
For example, Black Americans are more likely to have jobs that are considered essential, Fauci said, which leads to a much greater risk of being infected.
"Then there's the other thing that is really the chronic and decades-old dilemma of the social determinants of health, which is why African Americans have a higher degree of diabetes, of hypertension, of obesity, of heart disease, of chronic lung disease, of kidney disease," Fauci said. "That does not need to be. But to get corrected, you have to make a decades-long commitment to change that."
Part of that commitment has to include making resources like immediate testing and results as well as access to health care concentrated in demographics at higher risk of infection.
Trials for vaccines for Operation Warp Speed will be inclusive and diverse, chief adviser Moncef Slaoui said Friday. And once it is complete, he said they will be distributed widely.
"We are extremely cognizant of the importance of making sure that the vaccines, if and when they become available, are appropriately allocated in the population, on the basis of data ... and on the basis of need," he said.
CNN's Lauren Mascarenhas, Rebekah Riess, Gisela Crespo, Naomi Thomas, Jen Christensen and Rosa Flores contributed to this report.
Originally posted here:
- Trump Embraces Fringe Theories on Protests and the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Elites are flouting coronavirus restrictions -- and that could hurt us all - CNN - August 31st, 2020
- Governor Cuomo Announces New Record High Number of COVID-19 Tests Reported to New York State - ny.gov - August 31st, 2020
- How Italy's 'father of the swabs' fought the coronavirus - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- Alaska coronavirus Q&A: How are people here getting COVID-19? And what's the deal with testing numbers? - Anchorage Daily News - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus news of the week (VIDEO) - Live Science - August 31st, 2020
- A case of coronavirus reinfection shows the complexities of the pandemic - The Verge - August 31st, 2020
- New drool-based tests are replacing the dreaded coronavirus nasal swab - Science Magazine - August 31st, 2020
- How Minnesota's biggest beef producer is weathering the coronavirus - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 31st, 2020
- When the Threat of Eviction Meets the Threat of Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 31st, 2020
- Coronavirus worries force election officials to get creative - Wink News - August 31st, 2020
- This Trawlers Haul: Evidence That Antibodies Block the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus Briefing: What Happened Today - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- NIH imposes 'outrageous' conditions on resuming coronavirus grant targeted by Trump - Science Magazine - August 20th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Wednesday, August 19 - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: University of North Carolina temporarily suspends fall sports; Pope warns against the rich getting vaccine first - USA TODAY - August 20th, 2020
- If New Zealand's Covid-19 outbreak is 'terrible' like Trump says, then how bad is the rest of the world? - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Faster test results and 'robust' immune response may offer hope of curbing the pandemic, experts say - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Why Pooled Testing for the Coronavirus Isn't Working - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus outbreak linked to wedding reception in Maine - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 UPDATE: Gov. Justice hosts Dr. Deborah Birx, White House Coronavirus Response Coordinator, to discuss West Virginia virus response - West... - August 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Daily Update 8-19-2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - August 20th, 2020
- A person with Covid-19 may have exposed others at a bar during Sturgis motorcycle rally - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- White House focus on oleandrin treatment for coronavirus would be 'nonsense,' experts say - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- August 19 evening update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 20th, 2020
- Masks blunt the spread of coronavirus but not all are created equal - The Guardian - August 20th, 2020
- Opinion: There is a safe, healthy path forward from the ravages of the coronavirus - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - August 20th, 2020
- Few signs of collective mourning as the US tops 170,000 coronavirus deaths - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus is spreading in schools, but the federal government isn't keeping count - NBC News - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers hope this old-fashioned treatment will work for coronavirus - CNN - August 20th, 2020
- Older Children and the Coronavirus: A New Wrinkle in the Debate - The New York Times - August 20th, 2020
- Here's what's behind all those backlogged coronavirus cases across Texas - The Dallas Morning News - August 20th, 2020
- Potential Rising Income Streams and Equity Retirement Solutions - Dividend.com - August 10th, 2020
- Millions of America's working poor may lose out on key anti-poverty tax credit because of the pandemic - Chicago Reporter - August 10th, 2020
- Ive Witnessed the Decline of the Republican Party - The Atlantic - August 10th, 2020
- Pyxis Tankers Announces Financial Results for the Three and Six Months Ended June 30, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus live updates: 97,000 kids tested positive the last two weeks of July; college football faces decision time on fall season - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- Breaking down the executive actions Trump signed on coronavirus relief - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Brazil Reaches Milestone of More Than 100,000 Covid-19 Deaths and 3 Million Cases - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Looking Beyond The Coronavirus Numbers As Plans Are Put In Place For Returning To School, Restaurants Face Restrictions - CBS Pittsburgh - August 10th, 2020
- August 9 update: The latest on the coronavirus and Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- Black and Hispanic children are impacted more severely by coronavirus, research shows - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Why the Coronavirus Is More Likely to Superspread Than the Flu - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Japan's coronavirus fatigue is fueling defiance in Tokyo, even as the case count rises - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Hours of Talks on U.S. Coronavirus Relief End With No Deal - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Nation hits 5 million coronavirus cases with few signs of slowing - NBC News - August 10th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus Monday, Aug. 10 - KING5.com - August 10th, 2020
- Farm Workers Harvest Crops With Few Protections From The Coronavirus : Shots - Health News - NPR - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 Daily Update 8-9-2020 - West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus updates: Trump's executive order on unemployment could take months to implement; hundreds quarantining in Ga. school district - USA TODAY - August 10th, 2020
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine tests positive for coronavirus -- and then tests negative on second test - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Inside the federal prison where three out of every four inmates have tested positive for coronavirus - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Global deaths surpass 700,000; Vietnam reports further rise of infections - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- Trump administration steps in as advocacy groups warn of Covid 'death panels' - POLITICO - August 10th, 2020
- Europe's biggest countries are seeing Covid surges -- but not this one - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- More than 97,000 children tested positive for Covid-19 in the last two weeks of July, report says - CNN - August 10th, 2020
- Mexicos Coronavirus Struggle Worsened by Fear of Hospitals - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- Study: 14 Face Masks, Here Are The Best, Worst For Covid-19 Coronavirus - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Coronavirus testing: How it works, why Utah's tests are down, and what's coming next? - Salt Lake Tribune - August 10th, 2020
- Your Hot-Weather Guide to Coronavirus, Air-Conditioning and Airflow - The New York Times - August 10th, 2020
- How San Francisco succeeded more than other U.S. cities in fighting the coronavirus - CNBC - August 10th, 2020
- 17 new coronavirus cases have been reported in Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 9th, 2020
- Everything you need to know about coronavirus in Arizona Aug. 9 - 12news.com KPNX - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus in N.Y.C.: Heres What Happened This Week - The New York Times - August 9th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus Sunday, Aug. 9 - KING5.com - August 9th, 2020
- How fast is the coronavirus spreading (or not) in Philadelphia? Check this chart - Billy Penn - August 9th, 2020
- Coronavirus Live Updates: Latest News and Analysis - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Fact Check: Will there be a coronavirus vaccine by November? - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- One man with coronavirus attending Ohio church service led to infection of 91 others - NBC News - August 8th, 2020
- What you need to know about coronavirus on Friday, August 7 - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- With Old Allies Turning Against Her, Birx Presses On Against the Coronavirus - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- Trump singles out Texas and Florida for help with coronavirus response - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- This Week in Coronavirus: July 31 to August 6 - Kaiser Family Foundation - August 8th, 2020
- St. Louis Cardinals have another series postponed because of positive coronavirus tests - CNN - August 8th, 2020
- At Europes Illegal Parties, Coronavirus Is the Last Thing on Anyones Mind - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- The Roach Unit is the only Texas prison reporting zero coronavirus cases - The Texas Tribune - August 8th, 2020
- Coronavirus in Oregon: 423 new infections and 9 deaths - oregonlive.com - August 8th, 2020
- Suspension Lifted of Georgia Student Who Posted Photos of Crowded Hall - The New York Times - August 8th, 2020
- 20 new coronavirus cases have been reported in Maine - Bangor Daily News - August 8th, 2020
- Saying goodbye to dying wife likely cost 90-year-old 'Romeo' his life. He had no regrets, family says. - USA TODAY - August 8th, 2020