In a world overloadedwith inspirational quotes, daily affirmations, and endless positivity,sometimes it can seem wrong to feel anything less than cheerful. Buy intothis relentless flow of messages promoting happiness and feeling good above allelse, and we end up in a kind of spiritually anemic wasteland a type of toxicpositivity that would have us believe that emotions can fall into only one oftwo categories bad or good. And, if we fail at feeling only the good ones,then we are somehow inadequate and miss out on creating an engaged andpurposeful life. Sigh.
Heres theproblem with this over-simplified view of our interior lives:
The things that bring true meaning and purpose to our lives areoften the same things that invite the whole array of emotions into ourconsciousness, even the supposedly negative ones.
Forexample, think of a long-term intimate relationship, or when a person becomes aparent. These are complex life experiences that require us to be vulnerable, tostep into the unknown, and brave the full array of our emotional responses.Its totally unrealistic to assume we could orient to these types ofcircumstances with the goal of only feeling the good vibes.
Having such an expectation sets us up to miss some of the most enriching opportunities for growth and connection. How can we teach our children about emotional resiliency if we are demanding they embrace a false positivity instead of learning to deal with the world the way it is? How can we model self-acceptance and self-compassion if we are effectively denying huge parts of ourselves and deeming them unacceptable simply because those parts are less than comfortable to feel?
The rigid approach of positivity and nothing else is indeedtoxic. It stands in direct contradiction to a path of conscious evolution, onein which we welcome in the moments of vulnerability and see them asopportunities to acknowledge and feel all of our feelings. This is how we gainwisdom in life and access to deeper layers of our own potential by allowingourselves to be present to full spectrum of our experiences and emotions.
So whatsthe antidote to this epidemic of toxic positivity? In a word, itsauthenticity.
Unlike the counterfeit form of enlightenment promised to us with toxic positivity, authenticity promotes a deep and potent inner-knowing, and allows us to show up in the world from a place of embodied presence no matter what emotions we are experiencing. But how exactly do we do that?
1.To be authentic, we must start with awareness.
We need to be willing to show up, stay curious, and make ourselves completely available to the present moment. When we do that, we are setting the stage to stay open to possibility and invoke the power of beginners mind. We refuse to make assumptions, including the assumption that certain emotions are better than others. Only then do we become truly available to listen to and receive from the experiences life is offering us.
2. With awareness intact, the next step towards authenticity is to clarify and connect with our values.
This is an essential step for making life more meaningful. When we know our values, what we want to be a stand for in this world, we can have a different orientation to our feelings. They are no longer good or bad. Instead, they are opportunities to learn more about what truly matters to us.
We tend to have the strongest emotional reactions to things that are important to us. For example, if we feel big grief about the millions of children living in poverty in our world, perhaps that is an indicator to us that we might deeply value being of service to others less fortunate than us. And as such, we can start to choose actions that align with that, which leads us to the next step.
3. Once we are clear on our values, then we can choose to act in accordance with those values to create a purpose driven-life.
Life no longer is about seeking out perpetual happiness. Instead, we choose to connect and prioritize those things that will move us further in the direction of what matters most to us.
When we have a clear connection to our inner purpose like this, we develop a much greater tolerance for the full spectrum of feelings. We dont fear the difficult emotions any longer. Instead, we understand that each feeling we have is part of a larger process of self-discovery and self-creation. And with our values at the forefront of our mind, we feel motivated to create a life filled with meaning and passion. But the practice of authenticity doesnt stop there.
4. To fully own our deepest truth and leave the cult of toxic positivity behind us, we must also embrace the ambiguity that inevitably comes with choosing authenticity.
As they say, the only thing certain in life is change. When we stop wasting energy trying to be in control of everything (including our emotions), we enter a more truthful relationship of co-creation with the universe. We allow ourselves to be changed by the journey as it unfolds.
This is where our true power lies not in cultivatingsome artificial sense of positivity but in genuinely showing up in the here andnow, clear on our values, ready to act, and willing to be changed. This isthe ground from which a life of real meaning and purpose can blossom andflourish and incidentally its also the place from which we truly can experience authentic happinessand fulfillment.
See the original post here:
- Conscious evolution - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2020
- What Is Conscious Evolution? | HuffPost - May 3rd, 2020
- Foundation for Conscious Evolution | barbaramarxhubbard - May 3rd, 2020
- Home | Foundation for Conscious Evolution - April 2nd, 2020
- Conscious Evolution TV - The Convergence of Science ... - March 14th, 2020
- Sacramento boasts a hot lineup of community and culture events this week - Yahoo News - October 24th, 2019
- Tara Westover on Being 'Educated' - The Emory Wheel - October 8th, 2019
- Sacred Centers - Tools for Conscious Evolution - March 21st, 2019
- Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) | Meetup - October 29th, 2018
- The 8 Stages of Conscious Evolution - Waking Times - May 5th, 2018
- Conscious Life News | News and Articles About Conscious ... - February 15th, 2018
- Sheila Gautreaux Highlights Importance of Forgiveness | Benzinga - Benzinga - August 21st, 2017
- Sheila Gautreaux Highlights Importance of Forgiveness - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Nights Of Fire: A Conscious Evolution Festival Preview - NYSMusic - August 14th, 2017
- What's Happening: August 4, 2017 - Verde Independent - August 4th, 2017
- KABAKA PYRAMID + One-A-Chord & DJ Spleece - SantaCruz.com - August 3rd, 2017
- First Gaia Symposium scheduled for July 7-9 in Weed - Taft Midway Driller - July 5th, 2017
- Talk About INDEPENDENCE. We just divorced, yet get along better than ever! - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 4th, 2017
- First Gaia Symposium scheduled for July 7-9 in Weed - Mount Shasta Herald - July 3rd, 2017
- Surprise: People Who Claim They Don't Eat or Drink Are Probably Liars - ATTN: - June 23rd, 2017
- Native Americans are getting cheated again by a white president ... - Los Angeles Times - June 21st, 2017
- JACKAL Releases 'Endorphins' EP - Noiseporn - June 14th, 2017
- New book published by Balboa Press presents the Miross system, a measure for conscious evolution, self ... - Benzinga - June 11th, 2017
- Dr. Leslie Wells Announces Upcoming Launch of the EVE Consciousness World Tour - PR Web (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Jackal - Summer In Your Arms - EDM Sauce - June 6th, 2017
- Pierre Teilhard De Chardin Information - April 3rd, 2017
- Skill to discriminate - The Hindu - March 10th, 2017
- Modi supports yoga at Lord Shiva bust unveiling - Easterneye (press release) (subscription) - March 3rd, 2017
- 112-foot tall Shiva statue 'Adiyogi' - Times of India (blog) - February 28th, 2017
- Important to preserve the essence of yoga: PM Narendra Modi - Economic Times - February 27th, 2017
- YOGA-PM 2 LAST : PTI feed, News - India Today - India Today - February 27th, 2017
- PM Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva in Coimbatore on occasion of Maha Shivratri' - Zee News - February 25th, 2017
- PM Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva in Coimbatore - Zee News - February 24th, 2017
- PM Modi to unveil 112-foot Shiva statue at Maha Shivaratri event of Jaggi Vasudev's Isha Foundation as protests grow - International Business Times,... - February 24th, 2017
- Narendra Modi to unveil 112-ft tall Shiva idol on February 24 - India ... - India.com - February 20th, 2017
- Coimbatore: PM Modi to unveil 112-feet tall face of Adiyogi on Feb ... - India.com - February 20th, 2017
- Modi to unveil 112-ft tall Shiva idol in Coimbatore on February 24 - Hindustan Times - February 18th, 2017
- Grey Magick and Soapbox Preachers - Patheos (blog) - February 15th, 2017
- Stay Inspired: Conscious Evolution with Barbara Marx ... - December 11th, 2016
- Conscious Evolution Defined - Foundation for Conscious ... - June 8th, 2016
- Back to the Future: LCWR nuns and Conscious Evolution ... - June 8th, 2016
- Cures Without Side Effects - Video - April 13th, 2015
- How to Activate Our Genetic Blueprint - Video - April 13th, 2015
- Activate Your Higher Mind Powerful DNA Healing Energy | All 9 Solfeggio Frequencies - Video - April 11th, 2015
- How Technology is Connected to Consciousness - Video - April 11th, 2015
- How Can You Be Happy - Video - April 9th, 2015
- What is Cultural Fusion - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Conscious Evolution! - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Eyes of Emerald - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Teddy M. - Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup - April 2nd, 2015
- Conscious Eating for Health - Video - April 1st, 2015
- Are We at a Turning Point for Humanity - Video - March 30th, 2015
- Barbara Marx Hubbard - The Next Phase of Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Reverend Jim Lee on Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- 06 Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Living an Inspired Life - March 26th, 2015
- How to Reach Higher Levels of Consciousness - Video - March 20th, 2015
- How to Find the Seeds of Consciousness - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Conscious Evolution ~ Yoga with Haley - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Solfeggio Frequency 174hz ||| The Foundation of Conscious Evolution ||| 1 HOUR ||| - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Is that All there is-The Journey Within - Video - March 14th, 2015
- How to Open Your Mind to Unlimited Possibilities - Video - March 13th, 2015
- How to Eliminate Stress and Overwhelm - Video - March 12th, 2015
- Our True Nature as The Divine Spark - Barbara Marx Hubbard - Video - March 12th, 2015
- How Not To Be Frightened of Love - Video - March 10th, 2015
- Ride the Wave - Creative Conscious Evolution - Video - March 9th, 2015
- 8 Steps to Stop Dying Every Day and Start Waking Up - Video - March 8th, 2015
- How and Why to Integrate Nutrition into Conscious Living - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Connecting with People On the Other Side - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Crossroads 6 Conscious Evolution - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Dr. Marilyn Gewacke (CSETI) & Diane Saunders interviewed on Conscious Evolution Radio, 20.2.2015 - Video - March 6th, 2015
- The Violence in Chicago - Video - March 5th, 2015
- How to Embrace Our Truth as Spiritual Beings - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Donna The Buffalo "Conscious Evolution" Virginia Key GrassRoots Festival, 2-21-2015 - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Art as a Conduit for Conscious Evolution with Darinka Blagaj fine artist - Video - March 4th, 2015
- How to Unzip the Fat Suit Using Your Mind - Video - March 2nd, 2015
- Courtney W. - Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup - February 27th, 2015
- How You Communicate Impacts Your Relationships - Video - February 22nd, 2015
- What are the 5 Supposedly Healthy Habits - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How the Laws of Attraction and Fate Destiny Works - Video - February 19th, 2015