Indias prime minister Narendra Modi urged people to embrace the age-old practice of yoga, saying that rejecting an idea because it is ancient could be potentially harmful.
Yoga is constantly evolving, the prime minister said as he unveiled a 112-foot statue of Adiyogi, Lord Shiva, on the occasion of Mahashivratri at the Isha foundation in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu last Friday (24).
As a tribute to Adiyogi, Modi lit the sacred fire to commence the Maha Yoga Yagna across the world. He urged one million people to take an oath to teach a simple form of yoga to at least 100 other people each over the course of the following 12 months, so that 100 million additional people practised yoga by Mahashivratri next year.
Yoga is ancient yet modern, constant yet evolving, but the essence of yoga has not changed. It is important to preserve this essence, Modi said.
A brainchild of spiritual leader Jaggi Vasudev Sadhguru, the statue showcases Shivas contribution as Adiyogi.
It is essential that the next generations of people on this planet are seekers, not believers. As philosophies, ideology, belief systems that dont stand the test of logic and the scientific verification will naturally collapse in coming decades, you will see the longing for liberation will rise. When that longing rises, Adiyogi and the science of yoga will become very important, Sadhguru said.
During his visit to the Isha Foundation ashram, Modi took part in the Pancha Bhuta Aradhana, a yogic process of cleansing. He also visited the shrines of Dhyanalinga and the Linga Bhairavi.
The tallest bust of its kind, the height of Adiyogis face is symbolic of the 112 possibilities he explored for human beings to reach their ultimate potential, besides scientifically representing the 112 chakras of the human system.
Sadhguru said: For the first time in the history of humanity, Adiyogi introduced the idea that the simple laws of nature are not permanent restrictions. If one is willing to strive, one can go beyond all limitations and attain liberation, moving humanity from assumed stagnation to conscious evolution.
But, it also has a scientific significance there are 112 chakras in the human system, with which you can work, to explore 112 dimensions of life. In pursuit of the divine, you dont have to look up because it is not somewhere else. Each of the 112 possibilities is a method to experience the divine within you. You just have to pick one.
The statue was designed by Sadhguru over a period of two and a half years, and built over the next eight months by the foundations in-house team. Sadhguru also expressed a desire to place similar statues of Adiyogi in the other three corners of the country.
Excerpts from Modis speech
Maha-Shivratri symbolises a union of divinity with a purpose, of overcoming darkness and injustice.
It inspires us to be courageous and fight for good. It marks the shift of seasons, from the cold to the lively spring and brightness.
From Somnath to Vishwanath, from Kedarnath to Rameshwaram and from Kashi to Coimbatore where we have gathered, Lord Shiva is everywhere.
Standing here before this 112-feet face of Adiyogi and the Yogeshwar Linga, we are experiencing a colossal presence enveloping everyone in this space.
In the times to come, the place where we have gathered is going to be a source of inspiration for all, a place to immerse ones self and discover truth.
Today, yoga has come a long way. This is the beauty of yoga it is ancient, yet modern, it is constant, yet evolving. The essence of yoga has not changed.
Yoga is the catalytic agent, ushering the transformation from Jiva to Shiva.
By practising yoga, a spirit of oneness is created oneness of the mind, body and the intellect. Oneness with our families, with the society we live in, with fellow humans, with all the birds, animals and trees with whom we share our beautiful planet this is yoga.
Yoga is the journey from me to we. Today, the whole world wants peace, not just peace from wars and conflict but peace of the mind. The burden of stress takes a heavy toll and one of the sharpest weapons to overcome stress is yoga.
There is ample evidence practising yoga helps combat stress and chronic conditions. If the body is a temple of the mind, yoga creates a beautiful temple.
That is why I call yoga a passport to health assurance. More than being a cure to ailments, it is a means to wellness.
Yoga is about Rog Mukti (freedom from diseases) as well as Bhog Mukti (desisting from worldly greed). Yoga makes the individual a better person in thought, action, knowledge and devotion.
It would be very unfair to see Yoga only as a set of exercises that keeps the body fit. You may see people twist and turn their bodies but they are not all yogis.
Yoga is far beyond physical exercises. Through Yoga, we will create a new yuga a yuga of togetherness and harmony.
The coming together of so many nations to mark the International Day of Yoga illustrates the real essence of yogatogetherness. Yoga has the potential to herald in a new yuga (a new era) a yuga of peace, compassion, brotherhood and allround progress of the human race.
See the original post here:
- Toxic Positivity is a Thing and It Needs to Stop - Thrive Global - November 25th, 2019
- Sacramento boasts a hot lineup of community and culture events this week - Yahoo News - October 24th, 2019
- Tara Westover on Being 'Educated' - The Emory Wheel - October 8th, 2019
- Conscious Evolution TV - The Convergence of Science ... - May 3rd, 2019
- Conscious evolution - Wikipedia - March 30th, 2019
- Sacred Centers - Tools for Conscious Evolution - March 21st, 2019
- Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) | Meetup - October 29th, 2018
- The 8 Stages of Conscious Evolution - Waking Times - May 5th, 2018
- Conscious Life News | News and Articles About Conscious ... - February 15th, 2018
- Sheila Gautreaux Highlights Importance of Forgiveness | Benzinga - Benzinga - August 21st, 2017
- Sheila Gautreaux Highlights Importance of Forgiveness - Benzinga - August 18th, 2017
- Nights Of Fire: A Conscious Evolution Festival Preview - NYSMusic - August 14th, 2017
- What's Happening: August 4, 2017 - Verde Independent - August 4th, 2017
- KABAKA PYRAMID + One-A-Chord & DJ Spleece - SantaCruz.com - August 3rd, 2017
- First Gaia Symposium scheduled for July 7-9 in Weed - Taft Midway Driller - July 5th, 2017
- Talk About INDEPENDENCE. We just divorced, yet get along better than ever! - The Good Men Project (blog) - July 4th, 2017
- First Gaia Symposium scheduled for July 7-9 in Weed - Mount Shasta Herald - July 3rd, 2017
- Surprise: People Who Claim They Don't Eat or Drink Are Probably Liars - ATTN: - June 23rd, 2017
- Native Americans are getting cheated again by a white president ... - Los Angeles Times - June 21st, 2017
- JACKAL Releases 'Endorphins' EP - Noiseporn - June 14th, 2017
- New book published by Balboa Press presents the Miross system, a measure for conscious evolution, self ... - Benzinga - June 11th, 2017
- Dr. Leslie Wells Announces Upcoming Launch of the EVE Consciousness World Tour - PR Web (press release) - June 7th, 2017
- Jackal - Summer In Your Arms - EDM Sauce - June 6th, 2017
- Pierre Teilhard De Chardin Information - April 3rd, 2017
- Skill to discriminate - The Hindu - March 10th, 2017
- 112-foot tall Shiva statue 'Adiyogi' - Times of India (blog) - February 28th, 2017
- Important to preserve the essence of yoga: PM Narendra Modi - Economic Times - February 27th, 2017
- YOGA-PM 2 LAST : PTI feed, News - India Today - India Today - February 27th, 2017
- PM Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva in Coimbatore on occasion of Maha Shivratri' - Zee News - February 25th, 2017
- PM Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva in Coimbatore - Zee News - February 24th, 2017
- PM Modi to unveil 112-foot Shiva statue at Maha Shivaratri event of Jaggi Vasudev's Isha Foundation as protests grow - International Business Times,... - February 24th, 2017
- Narendra Modi to unveil 112-ft tall Shiva idol on February 24 - India ... - India.com - February 20th, 2017
- Coimbatore: PM Modi to unveil 112-feet tall face of Adiyogi on Feb ... - India.com - February 20th, 2017
- Modi to unveil 112-ft tall Shiva idol in Coimbatore on February 24 - Hindustan Times - February 18th, 2017
- Grey Magick and Soapbox Preachers - Patheos (blog) - February 15th, 2017
- Stay Inspired: Conscious Evolution with Barbara Marx ... - December 11th, 2016
- Conscious Evolution Defined - Foundation for Conscious ... - June 8th, 2016
- Back to the Future: LCWR nuns and Conscious Evolution ... - June 8th, 2016
- Cures Without Side Effects - Video - April 13th, 2015
- How to Activate Our Genetic Blueprint - Video - April 13th, 2015
- Activate Your Higher Mind Powerful DNA Healing Energy | All 9 Solfeggio Frequencies - Video - April 11th, 2015
- How Technology is Connected to Consciousness - Video - April 11th, 2015
- How Can You Be Happy - Video - April 9th, 2015
- What is Cultural Fusion - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Conscious Evolution! - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Eyes of Emerald - Video - April 5th, 2015
- Teddy M. - Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup - April 2nd, 2015
- Conscious Eating for Health - Video - April 1st, 2015
- Are We at a Turning Point for Humanity - Video - March 30th, 2015
- Barbara Marx Hubbard - The Next Phase of Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Reverend Jim Lee on Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- 06 Conscious Evolution - Video - March 26th, 2015
- Living an Inspired Life - March 26th, 2015
- How to Reach Higher Levels of Consciousness - Video - March 20th, 2015
- How to Find the Seeds of Consciousness - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Conscious Evolution ~ Yoga with Haley - Video - March 18th, 2015
- Solfeggio Frequency 174hz ||| The Foundation of Conscious Evolution ||| 1 HOUR ||| - Video - March 14th, 2015
- Is that All there is-The Journey Within - Video - March 14th, 2015
- How to Open Your Mind to Unlimited Possibilities - Video - March 13th, 2015
- How to Eliminate Stress and Overwhelm - Video - March 12th, 2015
- Our True Nature as The Divine Spark - Barbara Marx Hubbard - Video - March 12th, 2015
- How Not To Be Frightened of Love - Video - March 10th, 2015
- Ride the Wave - Creative Conscious Evolution - Video - March 9th, 2015
- 8 Steps to Stop Dying Every Day and Start Waking Up - Video - March 8th, 2015
- How and Why to Integrate Nutrition into Conscious Living - Video - March 8th, 2015
- Connecting with People On the Other Side - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Crossroads 6 Conscious Evolution - Video - March 6th, 2015
- Dr. Marilyn Gewacke (CSETI) & Diane Saunders interviewed on Conscious Evolution Radio, 20.2.2015 - Video - March 6th, 2015
- The Violence in Chicago - Video - March 5th, 2015
- How to Embrace Our Truth as Spiritual Beings - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Donna The Buffalo "Conscious Evolution" Virginia Key GrassRoots Festival, 2-21-2015 - Video - March 5th, 2015
- Art as a Conduit for Conscious Evolution with Darinka Blagaj fine artist - Video - March 4th, 2015
- How to Unzip the Fat Suit Using Your Mind - Video - March 2nd, 2015
- Courtney W. - Conscious Evolution (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup - February 27th, 2015
- How You Communicate Impacts Your Relationships - Video - February 22nd, 2015
- What are the 5 Supposedly Healthy Habits - Video - February 19th, 2015
- How the Laws of Attraction and Fate Destiny Works - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Neuroscience, Freud and Buddha - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Conscious Evolution: Awakening the Power of Our Social Potential - Video - February 19th, 2015
- Maylin Music LONGING - Video - February 17th, 2015