The comment was made by Anders Sandberg, a senior research fellow at the universitys Future of Humanity Institute. His work focuses on the potential risks future technology could pose to human civilisation.
Mr Sandberg has also spent decades involved with the transhumanist movement, which consists of people who believe humans can and should use technology to artificially augment their capabilities.
Speaking to Express.co.uk he argued humans in the future could enjoy greatly expanded lifespans and could even have their brains uploaded onto computers for safekeeping.
Asked how long humans could live Mr Sandberg replied: There is no fundamental ceiling but you are going to need to solve certain problems.
Accidents is the first one cryonics wont help you if a bus runs over you and turns you into mush.
Even if ageing and disease is not a problem you need to handle accidents and probably that means having some form of backup copies. You need some form of uploading or artificial body.
Probably the human brain cant handle that much information so you need to extend it as you get older.
You want to remember what needs to be remembered and maybe put other stuff in cyber storage.
Transhumanists believe humans can halt the ageing process and natural death.
According to Mr Sandberg this is one of the most provocative aspects of their programme.
He explained: Transhumanists have essentially since day one been saying we should really extend the human lifespan and this is perhaps one of the most controversial claims ever made.
We get way more pushback when talking about life extension than cloning or uploading into computers or going to space or taking drugs to become a more moral person.
Thats nothing compared to the potential of oh you might live much longer than you expected.
READ MORE:Academic explains how humans could become part mechanic cyborgs'
That is kind of dreadful to many people so they get very upset and start defending disease, sickness and death very strongly.
Its weird because if one believed their arguments we should be shutting down hospitals left and right and having people naturally and painfully die which of course people dont normally do. Normally we are very keen on having good hospitals and ambulances.
Mr Sandberg is the co-founder of Swedish thinktank Eudoxa and previously chaired the Swedish Transhumanist Association.
Transhumanist ideas have been gaining ground over recent years, with transhumanist political parties emerging in countries across the world including the UK.
An American transhumanist, Zoltan Istvan, recently ran against Trump for the 2020 Republican Presidential nomination.
Mr Sandberg also suggested advances in AI and drugs that improve human abilities are likely to play a role in the future.
READ MORE:US Presidential hopeful plans to ABOLISH DEATH using technology
He asserted: Its very likely artificial intelligence is going to become extremely powerful relatively soon.
Not necessarily the kind of self-willed Hal like being but at least very smart services that can solve problems for us which might speed things up.
I also have been working quite a lot on the ethics of cognitive enhancement. What about making ourselves smarter?
The good news is there are various things like smart drugs that might be helpful for certain mental tasks.
The bad news is there doesnt seem to be anything that really boost intelligence itself. That seems to be very complicated and we dont understand the brain well enough.
Oxford Universitys Future of Humanity Institute was founded in 2005 to focus on the opportunities and threats that could emerge for the human species.
It is headed by Swedish philosopher Nick Bostrom, who grabbed wide attention with his 2014 book Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies.
Asked what the world could look like in 40 years time Mr Sandberg replied: think a time traveller going 40 years into the future is first going to be super disappointed because it looks almost the same.
On the surface I think its going to be very similar theres going to be vehicles moving around, maybe without any drivers, there are going to be houses around and so on and then they start interacting with people and theyre going to realise this society works completely differently.
We most likely are going to have quite a lot of enhancements around that are regarded as everyday.
People are not going to think that the morning cognition enhancing pill is any weirder than the morning coffee they might even be the same thing.
The existence of a lot of machine learning and probably nanotechnology making a lot of material way more alive than they used to.
Here is the original post:
- Teacher who insulted pupils and colleagues in 'Gossip Girl' style blog faces being struck off - Mirror Online - January 29th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - January 29th, 2021
- FDA sends warning letter to company that is advertising COVID-19 curing tea - Food Safety News - January 14th, 2021
- The QAnon Doctor Pushing Wild Conspiracies About the COVID Vaccine - VICE - January 14th, 2021
- BravePicks 2020 - The Scribes Speak! Paul Stenning - bravewords.com - January 14th, 2021
- VidCon Now to Debut at the Singapore Media Festival - Branding in Asia Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Watch This Superb Fan Adaptation of Peter Watts' Blindsight - tor.com - October 19th, 2020
- Pandemics and transhumanism - The Times of India Blog - September 18th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red have nabbed Cyberpunk, but here are 5 other punks that deserve games - PC Gamer - September 18th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 18th, 2020
- Transhuman - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- The Transhuman Revolution: What it is and How to Prepare ... - August 10th, 2020
- What No One Will Tell You About Robots - OZY - July 25th, 2020
- Black LGBTQ+ playwrights and musical-theater artists you need to know - Time Out New York - July 25th, 2020
- ANTIBOY: The Family of Harry Hains Unveils Animated Video For Good Enough Single - Icon Vs. Icon - July 22nd, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - July 21st, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 20th, 2020
- In Dan Brown's AI Hype Novel, the Hero Stumbles Onto God - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - July 15th, 2020
- Quote of the Day on the Morality of Those Seeking Heaven - Patheos - July 13th, 2020
- A music and arts festival for Mumbaikars - Times of India - July 3rd, 2020
- Experience never seen before immersive music and art festival with transhuman collective 'UNRATED' - RadioandMusic.com - July 3rd, 2020
- This startup is ensuring babies get a good nights sleep with its smart mattress - YourStory - July 3rd, 2020
- Who exactly was Jeffrey Epstein? A history of the mogul and his crimes - Film Daily - July 3rd, 2020
- Livestream event on Steve Fuller's Nietzschean Meditations - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - June 22nd, 2020
- Transhuman - TV Tropes - June 13th, 2020
- Artificial eye with 3D retina developed for the first time - Advanced Science News - June 13th, 2020
- How to go on holiday in a pandemic - The Economist - June 13th, 2020
- The Best Way to Handle Your Decline Is to Confront It Head On - The Atlantic - June 13th, 2020
- Humans will be able to replace their bodies within 50 years claims transhumanist writer - Express.co.uk - May 27th, 2020
- How Britain's oldest universities are trying to protect humanity from risky A.I. - CNBC - May 27th, 2020
- Heres Everything Coming to HBO Max in June - TheWrap - May 27th, 2020
- Durham's Kriya Therapuetics lands $80M to advance gene therapies for diabetes, severe obesity - WRAL Tech Wire - May 15th, 2020
- Introducing When the Sparrow Falls, the Debut Novel From Neil Sharpson - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- New Releases And Eshop Discounts Week 20 - N-Europe - May 15th, 2020
- Things To Do: Antonio Eyez Will Perform At R&R Studios April 30 - Houston Press - April 27th, 2020
- Five Essay Collections to Read in Quarantine - Willamette Week - April 27th, 2020
- OISTE.ORG Foundation endorses preserving the human right to privacy statement during the Covid-19 pandemic signed by a group of more than 300... - April 27th, 2020
- The Demo For Soldat 2 Is Now Free On The Steam Platform - Happy Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- Friending the World Sociality and the Transhuman Vision - Patheos - March 28th, 2020
- Technology and Human Creativity in Theological Perspective - Patheos - March 28th, 2020
- What is an artificial womb and can it work for humans? - Screen Shot - March 28th, 2020
- How the Fast & Furious Movies Should End (and Live on Forever) - Observer - March 28th, 2020
- Electioneering on the Eve of the Virus Nathan Thornburgh and photographer Shane Carpenter were in New - Roads and Kingdoms - March 26th, 2020
- MultiBrief: Surviving coronavirus: Bravery, health, and strength - MultiBriefs Exclusive - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus and the Rise and Fall of Humanism - CounterPunch - March 26th, 2020
- The Fight against Socialism Isnt Over - National Review - March 16th, 2020
- Harry Hains, actor in American Horror Story and The OA, dies at 27 - SYFY WIRE - January 11th, 2020
- WISeKey to Hold its 13th Annual Cybersecurity IoT Blockchain Roundtable in Davos on January 22, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - December 25th, 2019
- Misinformation, hacking, and imploding startups: 18 books to read in 2020 that puncture Silicon Valley utopianism - Business Insider - December 25th, 2019
- Best books of 2019 - Patheos - December 21st, 2019
- The 50 best TV shows of 2019: No 4 Years and Years - The Guardian - December 21st, 2019
- The Big Read Poppy: Human After All, the NME interview - NME.com - November 13th, 2019
- Jonathan Kay: What to make of racism, sexism and homophobia from the same people lecturing us about bigotry - National Post - November 13th, 2019
- How Australian viewers are reacting to 'Years and Years' - SBS - November 13th, 2019
- Are LED lights and other techno-implants slowly turning us into the Borg? - SYFY WIRE - October 16th, 2019
- The finale issue of House of X/Powers of X: We dig into every detail - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- Yudkowsky - The AI-Box Experiment - June 3rd, 2019
- Corporate Growth Summit and International M&A Awards - June 3rd, 2019
- 7 Reasons Why Transhumanism is the Greatest Threat to the ... - May 22nd, 2019
- Transhuman | Future | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 20th, 2019
- Transhuman | Snafu Comics Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 20th, 2019
- The TransHuman Code Initiative | A new initiative that ... - April 20th, 2019
- THE ADVENT OF THE TRANSHUMANS - News - Dreadnought - April 20th, 2019
- Transhuman Treachery - TV Tropes - April 20th, 2019
- Home - Believer - April 12th, 2019
- Transhuman by Jonathan Hickman - April 7th, 2019
- Calls for papers Conferences taking place in May 2019 - April 5th, 2019
- Transhuman Artificial Intelligence Coming to a Hive Mind ... - April 5th, 2019
- Transhuman Space Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 18th, 2019
- Overwatch Transhuman Arm | Xenic-HL2RP Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 18th, 2019
- The TransHuman Code Initiative - January 8th, 2019
- Groundbreaking project seeks to 'bring dead back to life ... - December 5th, 2018
- The Transhuman Code - December 5th, 2018
- Transhuman r/Transhuman - reddit - December 5th, 2018
- Transhuman Space - Steve Jackson Games - November 3rd, 2018
- Transhuman Space: Bioroid Bazaar - November 3rd, 2018
- Believer - Transhuman - Amazon.com Music - August 22nd, 2018
- When Robots Take Over, What Happens to Us? - July 29th, 2018
- Nick Knight - Home - July 14th, 2018
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - May 30th, 2018