Top 20 Of 201) BRITISH LION - The Burning (Explorer1)2) DEAD KOSMONAUT - Gravitas (High Roller)3) EVILDEAD - United $tate$ Of Anarchy (SPV/Steamhammer)4) PYOGENESIS - A Silent Soul Screams Loud (AFM)5) PRIMAL FEAR - Metal Commando (Nuclear Blast)6) ACCUSER Accuser (Metal Blade)7) WISHBONE ASH - Coat of Arms (SPV/Steamhammer)8) GOD DETHRONED - Illuminati (Metal Blade)9) ANNIHILATOR - Ballistic, Sadistic (Silver Lining)10) ARMORED SAINT - Punching The Sky (Metal Blade)11) GREEN CARNATION - Leaves Of Yesteryear (Season Of Mist)12) HEATHEN Empire of the Blind (Nuclear Blast)13) THE ATOMIC BITCHWAX - Scorpio (Tee Pee)14) MORTA SKULD - Suffer For Nothing (Peaceville)15) DEMONS & WIZARDS III (Centruy Media)16) RAGE Wings of Rage (SPV/Steamhammer)17) LIONHEART The Reality of Miracles (Metalville)18) DEEP PURPLE Whoosh! (earMUSIC)19) TESTAMENT Titans of Creation (Nuclear Blast)20) PARADISE LOST Obsidian (Nuclear Blast)
Top 5 Brave Embarrassments
POPPY I Disagree (Warner)Ask yourself why this is always given as a recommendation for a new metal album when the 'singer' outwardly says this is not metal. Transhumanist drivel from a talentless, creepy, walking meme. Does not deserve the metal label in any way, shape or form.
NAPALM DEATH Throes of Joy in the Jaws of Defeatism (Century Media)There was a point in the late '90s where Napalm Death were in danger of doing something different, groundbreaking and daring to intersperse their former embarrassments (seconds of grunting and finishing belongs in the bedroom) with innovation. Now? They just want to prove how they have still got it but its forced both musically and lyrically. Horrible cover art too.
SEPULTURA Quadra (Nuclear Blast)Reunions suck as its always about the money. In this case though, I would happily pay to see the Cavalera brothers back in the band. For so many years, Andreas Kisser and Paolo Jr. have been flying their own flag and somehow no one has told them to just stop, please stop, making music. Every song sounds indistinct with the repetitive and soulless bark of Derrick Green. Utterly pointless.
DANZIG Danzig Sings Elvis (Cleopatra)Actually, this is not so bad. The problem is Fonzig is in his mid-60s and is making music worthy of his age. In itself that is admittedly less horrible than most Danzig output since the first four albums. Yet this is toe curling, like being in a cemetery and hearing a ghost with a purple rinse crooning beneath some moss. Only for limping Goths who might also still believe Elvis is the king.
BODY COUNT Carnivore (Century Media)Ice-T is 62 years old and despite his reputation as a renegade has been toeing the party line (an actor, playing a cop after a supposed shitstorm of anti-authority controversy in the 90s?!) for way too long. Where Body Count was once truly relevant and original, its now a mere habit. Out of the ten songs, two are covers, which sums up the lack of creativity.
Thoughts On 2020A year of big name acts split effectively into two: One for those who carry the flag in a new and innovative way and do it with style (Wishbone Ash) or just about scrape through (Deep Purple). Two is those who should have put the instruments down some time ago (Sepultura especially but even AC/DC is pushing it too far at this point).
Overall a strong year for bands who are still plying a trademark sound (Sodom, Vader and so on) as well as those still trying to prise a semblance of experimentation from a solid blueprint, such as Paradise Lost. I expected more from the most miserable band in the world in all honesty; they are capable of better, but theyre still around and that's a joy.
Great to see the return of Evildead with trademark Ed Repka artwork and an album that manages to reincarnate their classic sound whilst updating just a touch for 2020. Sure missed that Karlos Medina dirty bass rumble.
A great year overall for German bands. Nice to see strong returns from the likes of Accuser and Primal Fear who are always trustworthy. Is there a better example of strength in metal than Ralf Scheepers?
Specific mention to Pyogenesis, a criminally underrated band who once again have released a gorgeous, melodic and original album.
For many years, the best metal came out of Sweden which seemed to lose pace at some point. Until Dead Kosmonaut, who have been releasing truly innovative metal for several years now. Gravitas is their best work yet.
The British Lion album is so far and away the best crafted album of the year its almost embarrassing. Their debut was a little heavy going at times but The Burning is a colossus. Everything about it is perfectly delivered and after 8 years they have somehow managed to come together and produce a beautifully cohesive opus. Album of the decade.
What/Who Needs To Stop In 2021Its time for sexy female singers to go. There are far too many tattooed, skintight princess warriors out there who manage to maintain attention simply for the way they look. Isnt this to be frowned upon in the modern world? Can we go back to a simpler time where 95% of the women into metal were plain greasers, or just that tad overweight? I want to see plain women who havent attended the Guitar Institute of Technology and instead just play from the heart for the love of it.
Crowd funding campaigns for bands/artists who dont need the money. Instead the money should be raised by big name artists and then put into new labels where new signings can be paid advances like the old days.
Metal Predictions For 2021Festivals will all be cancelled leaving only smaller outdoor shows where people stand 3 miles apart from each other and listen on headphones.
Thanks to this, more bands will create online only shows. KISS is showing the way to go as they hold a special online New Years Eve show to round out this year. Expect servers to crash when big name bands play online only shows.
Metallica and Megadeth will both release new albums and tour (indoors) together.
Meshuggah will return with an experimental and slightly lighter side, with a contender for album of the year.
A year of reunions. Among them, Anthrax will realise John Bush is still the best singer they ever had and he will take over for their new album.
Xentrix will rightly reform with Chris Astley and Paul McKenzie, bringing back the classic line-up of the most underrated British metal band of all time.
More Scribes Speak:Mark GromenCarl BegaiAaron SmallRich CatinoNick BalazsDillon Collins
Check out our BravePicks 2020 countdown where Enslaved took the top spothere.
- Teacher who insulted pupils and colleagues in 'Gossip Girl' style blog faces being struck off - Mirror Online - January 29th, 2021
- It's A Sin cast: meet the unknowns behind 2021's first TV hit - NME.com - January 29th, 2021
- FDA sends warning letter to company that is advertising COVID-19 curing tea - Food Safety News - January 14th, 2021
- The QAnon Doctor Pushing Wild Conspiracies About the COVID Vaccine - VICE - January 14th, 2021
- VidCon Now to Debut at the Singapore Media Festival - Branding in Asia Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Watch This Superb Fan Adaptation of Peter Watts' Blindsight - tor.com - October 19th, 2020
- Pandemics and transhumanism - The Times of India Blog - September 18th, 2020
- CD Projekt Red have nabbed Cyberpunk, but here are 5 other punks that deserve games - PC Gamer - September 18th, 2020
- Scientific Psi? Neuralink and the smarter brain - Covalence - September 18th, 2020
- Transhuman - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- The Transhuman Revolution: What it is and How to Prepare ... - August 10th, 2020
- What No One Will Tell You About Robots - OZY - July 25th, 2020
- Black LGBTQ+ playwrights and musical-theater artists you need to know - Time Out New York - July 25th, 2020
- ANTIBOY: The Family of Harry Hains Unveils Animated Video For Good Enough Single - Icon Vs. Icon - July 22nd, 2020
- No death and an enhanced life: Is the future transhuman ... - July 21st, 2020
- Immortality or Bust - Film Threat - July 20th, 2020
- In Dan Brown's AI Hype Novel, the Hero Stumbles Onto God - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - July 15th, 2020
- Quote of the Day on the Morality of Those Seeking Heaven - Patheos - July 13th, 2020
- A music and arts festival for Mumbaikars - Times of India - July 3rd, 2020
- Experience never seen before immersive music and art festival with transhuman collective 'UNRATED' - RadioandMusic.com - July 3rd, 2020
- This startup is ensuring babies get a good nights sleep with its smart mattress - YourStory - July 3rd, 2020
- Who exactly was Jeffrey Epstein? A history of the mogul and his crimes - Film Daily - July 3rd, 2020
- Livestream event on Steve Fuller's Nietzschean Meditations - Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies - June 22nd, 2020
- Transhuman - TV Tropes - June 13th, 2020
- Artificial eye with 3D retina developed for the first time - Advanced Science News - June 13th, 2020
- How to go on holiday in a pandemic - The Economist - June 13th, 2020
- The Best Way to Handle Your Decline Is to Confront It Head On - The Atlantic - June 13th, 2020
- Humans will be able to replace their bodies within 50 years claims transhumanist writer - Express.co.uk - May 27th, 2020
- How Britain's oldest universities are trying to protect humanity from risky A.I. - CNBC - May 27th, 2020
- Heres Everything Coming to HBO Max in June - TheWrap - May 27th, 2020
- Durham's Kriya Therapuetics lands $80M to advance gene therapies for diabetes, severe obesity - WRAL Tech Wire - May 15th, 2020
- Introducing When the Sparrow Falls, the Debut Novel From Neil Sharpson - tor.com - May 15th, 2020
- New Releases And Eshop Discounts Week 20 - N-Europe - May 15th, 2020
- Things To Do: Antonio Eyez Will Perform At R&R Studios April 30 - Houston Press - April 27th, 2020
- Five Essay Collections to Read in Quarantine - Willamette Week - April 27th, 2020
- OISTE.ORG Foundation endorses preserving the human right to privacy statement during the Covid-19 pandemic signed by a group of more than 300... - April 27th, 2020
- The Demo For Soldat 2 Is Now Free On The Steam Platform - Happy Gamer - April 2nd, 2020
- Friending the World Sociality and the Transhuman Vision - Patheos - March 28th, 2020
- Technology and Human Creativity in Theological Perspective - Patheos - March 28th, 2020
- What is an artificial womb and can it work for humans? - Screen Shot - March 28th, 2020
- How the Fast & Furious Movies Should End (and Live on Forever) - Observer - March 28th, 2020
- Oxford academic claims future humans could live for thousands of years - Express.co.uk - March 26th, 2020
- Electioneering on the Eve of the Virus Nathan Thornburgh and photographer Shane Carpenter were in New - Roads and Kingdoms - March 26th, 2020
- MultiBrief: Surviving coronavirus: Bravery, health, and strength - MultiBriefs Exclusive - March 26th, 2020
- Coronavirus and the Rise and Fall of Humanism - CounterPunch - March 26th, 2020
- The Fight against Socialism Isnt Over - National Review - March 16th, 2020
- Harry Hains, actor in American Horror Story and The OA, dies at 27 - SYFY WIRE - January 11th, 2020
- WISeKey to Hold its 13th Annual Cybersecurity IoT Blockchain Roundtable in Davos on January 22, 2020 - GlobeNewswire - December 25th, 2019
- Misinformation, hacking, and imploding startups: 18 books to read in 2020 that puncture Silicon Valley utopianism - Business Insider - December 25th, 2019
- Best books of 2019 - Patheos - December 21st, 2019
- The 50 best TV shows of 2019: No 4 Years and Years - The Guardian - December 21st, 2019
- The Big Read Poppy: Human After All, the NME interview - NME.com - November 13th, 2019
- Jonathan Kay: What to make of racism, sexism and homophobia from the same people lecturing us about bigotry - National Post - November 13th, 2019
- How Australian viewers are reacting to 'Years and Years' - SBS - November 13th, 2019
- Are LED lights and other techno-implants slowly turning us into the Borg? - SYFY WIRE - October 16th, 2019
- The finale issue of House of X/Powers of X: We dig into every detail - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- Yudkowsky - The AI-Box Experiment - June 3rd, 2019
- Corporate Growth Summit and International M&A Awards - June 3rd, 2019
- 7 Reasons Why Transhumanism is the Greatest Threat to the ... - May 22nd, 2019
- Transhuman | Future | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 20th, 2019
- Transhuman | Snafu Comics Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - April 20th, 2019
- The TransHuman Code Initiative | A new initiative that ... - April 20th, 2019
- THE ADVENT OF THE TRANSHUMANS - News - Dreadnought - April 20th, 2019
- Transhuman Treachery - TV Tropes - April 20th, 2019
- Home - Believer - April 12th, 2019
- Transhuman by Jonathan Hickman - April 7th, 2019
- Calls for papers Conferences taking place in May 2019 - April 5th, 2019
- Transhuman Artificial Intelligence Coming to a Hive Mind ... - April 5th, 2019
- Transhuman Space Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia - March 18th, 2019
- Overwatch Transhuman Arm | Xenic-HL2RP Wiki | FANDOM ... - March 18th, 2019
- The TransHuman Code Initiative - January 8th, 2019
- Groundbreaking project seeks to 'bring dead back to life ... - December 5th, 2018
- The Transhuman Code - December 5th, 2018
- Transhuman r/Transhuman - reddit - December 5th, 2018
- Transhuman Space - Steve Jackson Games - November 3rd, 2018
- Transhuman Space: Bioroid Bazaar - November 3rd, 2018
- Believer - Transhuman - Amazon.com Music - August 22nd, 2018
- When Robots Take Over, What Happens to Us? - July 29th, 2018
- Nick Knight - Home - July 14th, 2018
- Transhuman Aliens - TV Tropes - May 30th, 2018