Scientists have identified a protein that can slow or stop some signs of Parkinsons disease in mice.
The team found that the bone morphogenetic proteins 5 and 7 (BMP5/7) can have these effects in a mouse model of the disease.
This research, which appears in the journal Brain, may be the first step toward developing a new treatment for Parkinsons disease.
This type of brain disorder typically affects people over the age of 60, and the symptoms worsen with time.
Common symptoms include stiffness, difficulty walking, tremors, and trouble with balance and coordination.
The disease can also affect the ability to speak and lead to mood changes, tiredness, and memory loss.
Parkinsons Foundation report that about 1 million people in the United States had the disease in 2020, with about 10 million affected globally.
Despite this prevalence, scientists are still unsure why Parkinsons disease affects some people and not others, and there is currently no cure.
The National Institute on Aging note that some cases of Parkinsons disease seem to be hereditary. In other words, the disease can emerge in different generations of a family but for many people with the disease, there appears to be no family history.
Researchers believe that multiple factors may affect a persons risk, including genetics, exposure to environmental toxins, and age.
Since there is currently no cure for Parkinsons disease, treatments typically focus on alleviating its symptoms.
Existing treatments can help alleviate of Parkinsons disease, such as stiffness. However, they may work less well, or not work, for others, such as tremors or a loss of coordination.
Though researchers are still unsure why some develop the disease and others do not, they understand what occurs in the brain of a person with Parkinsons.
The disease causes the neurons in the part of the brain that controls movement to stop working or die. The brain region, therefore, produces less of the chemical dopamine, which helps a person maintain smooth, purposeful movement, as the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke observe.
Also, Lewy bodies occur in the brains of some people with Parkinsons disease. These bodies are clumps primarily made up of misfolded forms of the protein alpha-synuclein.
In their recent study paper, the scientists refer to research suggesting that neurotrophic factors molecules that help neurons survive and thrive could, in theory, restore the function of neurons that produce dopamine. However, the clinical benefit of these factors had yet to be proven.
The team focused on bone morphogenetic proteins 5 and 7 (BMP5/7). They had previously shown that BMP5/7 has an important role in dopamine-producing neurons in mice.
In the latest study, the scientists wanted to see whether BMP5/7 could protect the neurons of mice against the damaging effects of misfolded alpha-synuclein proteins.
To do this, they injected one group of mice with a viral vector that caused misfolded alpha-synuclein proteins to form in their brains. They used other mice as a control group. The scientists then injected the mice with the BMP5/7 protein.
The researchers found that the BMP5/7 protein had a significant protective effect against the misfolded alpha-synuclein proteins.
According to senior study author Dr. Claude Brodski, of the Israel-based Ben-Gurion University of the Negevs Department of Physiology and Cell Biology, We found that BMP5/7 treatment can, in a Parkinsons disease mouse model, efficiently prevent movement impairments caused by the accumulation of alpha-synuclein and reverse the loss of dopamine-producing brain cells. He continues:
These findings are very promising, since they suggest that BMP5/7 could slow or stop Parkinsons disease progression. Currently, we are focusing all our efforts on bringing our discovery closer to clinical application.
The universitys technology transfer company, BGN Technologies, is currently looking to bring the development to the market.
Dr. Galit Mazooz-Perlmuter, the companys senior vice president of bio-pharma business development, notes that There is a vast need for new therapies to treat Parkinsons disease, especially in advanced stages of the disease.
Dr. Brodskis findings, although still in their early stages, offer a disease-modified drug target that will address this devastating condition. We are now seeking an industry partner for further development of this patent-pending invention.
Go here to see the original:
- Growing Prevalence & Recurrence Of Rheumatoid Arthritis Is Expected To Growth Of The Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Designer Women... - July 8th, 2022
- Diabetic foot treatment: Here's all you need to know about stem cell therapy - Hindustan Times - July 8th, 2022
- Catherine S. Diefenbach, MD, Talks Future of CAR T-cell Therapy Following Liso-Cel Approval in Second-Line LBCL - Cancer Network - July 8th, 2022
- Next-day manufacture of a novel anti-CD19 CAR-T therapy for B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: first-in-human clinical study | Blood Cancer Journal... - July 8th, 2022
- Orthobiologics Market is Predicted to Expand at a CAGR of 4.7% during the Forecast Period, notes TMR Study - GlobeNewswire - July 8th, 2022
- Akari Therapeutics Announces First Patient to Complete Course of Treatment in the Phase III Part A Clinical Trial of Investigational Nomacopan in... - July 8th, 2022
- Global Lupus Market is Expected to Reach USD 4.3 Billion With CAGR of 12.41% By Forecast 2027 Says Maximize Market Research (MMR) - Digital Journal - July 8th, 2022
- Jasper Therapeutics to Participate in the William Blair 42nd Annual Growth Stock Conference - GuruFocus.com - July 8th, 2022
- TC BioPharm Announces Formation of Scientific Advisory Board with Renowned Cell Therapy Experts - GuruFocus.com - July 8th, 2022
- Global Adrenoleukodystrophy Treatment Market Trends, Growth, Opportunities and Forecast to 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 8th, 2022
- Mayo Clinic Q and A: Stem cell therapy for arthritis ... - November 29th, 2021
- FDA Warns About Stem Cell Therapies | FDA - November 29th, 2021
- A Cure for Type 1 Diabetes? For One Man, It Seems to Have Worked. - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Markets, 2030 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 29th, 2021
- Neuroplast secures 10 million in funding to boost clinical development of stem cell therapy for traumatic spinal cord injuries - Spinal News... - November 29th, 2021
- Innovating Reversible Cell Therapies With RNA - Technology Networks - November 29th, 2021
- US Stem Cell Therapy Market size and analysis by leading manufacturers, application and types 2021-2027 Energy Siren - Energy Siren - November 29th, 2021
- InGeneron Publishes Significant Support for the Existence of Naturally Pluripotent Stem Cells in All Organs in the Adult Body - Galveston County Daily... - November 29th, 2021
- Susanna Park inducted as holder of Roth Endowed Chair for Discovery, Education and Patient Care - UC Davis Health - November 29th, 2021
- Covid vaccine: Stem cell transplant patients who must be completely re-vaccinated struggling to book jabs - iNews - November 29th, 2021
- Immunomic Therapeutics Announces Collaboration With iOncologi - BioSpace - November 29th, 2021
- An Against-the-Odds Cancer Story Can Be Yours - Curetoday.com - November 29th, 2021
- Calls for stem cell donation to change in Australia to reduce reliance on overseas donors - ABC News - November 29th, 2021
- The Expanding Role of Interferons in Myeloproliferative Neoplasms - Targeted Oncology - November 29th, 2021
- Dr. Van Rhee on Future Research Directions for CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market | Exclusive Report on the Latest Market Trends and Development - PharmiWeb.com - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson Now to Offer Solution for Cellular Therapy Toxicities - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- NCCN Issues Updated Guidelines Regarding Third COVID-19 Vaccine Booster for Those With Cancer - Cancer Network - September 5th, 2021
- BioRestorative Therapies Receives Patent in Japan Related to its Off-the-Shelf ThermoStem Program - GuruFocus.com - September 5th, 2021
- Jury awards North Texas doctor $7.8 million in lawsuit over his partner locking him out - The Dallas Morning News - September 5th, 2021
- Iomab-B Shows Early Promise Versus Standard Therapy in Elderly R/R AML - Targeted Oncology - September 5th, 2021
- Pirtobrutinib Exhibits Promising Efficacy in Heavily Pretreated MCL and Other Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas - OncLive - September 5th, 2021
- MD Anderson and Bellicum Announce Additional License Agreement for Use of CaspaCIDe Safety Switch - Newswise - September 5th, 2021
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation (HSCT) Market by Sales, Revenue, Price and Gross Margin (2021-2027) UNLV The Rebel Yell - UNLV The Rebel Yell - September 5th, 2021
- Researchers curb local immune response in horses receiving stem cell injury therapy - Horsetalk - February 7th, 2021
- FDA Green Lights Trials of New Type 1 Diabetes Stem Cell Therapy - A Sweet Life - February 7th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Perales Examines the Impact of COVID-19 on Recipients of Cellular Therapies for Cancer - OncLive - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Westin Evaluates Management of DLBCL With CAR T-Cell Therapy - Targeted Oncology - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cell therapy treatment introduced in Pakistan - The Nation - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size to Reach USD 5,040 Million by 2028 | Rising Public-Private Investments and Developing Regulatory Framework for Stem Cell... - February 1st, 2021
- ProgenCell - Stem Cell Therapies offers an updated Stem Cell Therapy for Anti Aging Protocol - PR Web - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021: Global Key Players, Trends, Share, Industry Size, Segmentation, Forecast To 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU |... - February 1st, 2021
- Stem Cell Recruitment Therapy Registration Awarded by U.S. Patent & Trademark Office for Russell Health - MDJOnline.com - February 1st, 2021
- Cell and Gene Therapy Firms Gear up to Revolutionize Manufacturing - Labiotech.eu - February 1st, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Consumption Market Report By Application, Type, Top Companies, Growth, Regional Outlook, and Forecast to 2027 Murphy's... - February 1st, 2021
- Vertex Announces FDA Clearance of Investigational New Drug (IND) Application for VX-880, a Novel Cell Therapy for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes... - February 1st, 2021
- Dancing on Ice's Colin Jackson to get stem cell op as he's got 'knees of 85-year-old' - Irish Mirror - February 1st, 2021
- Advanced Pancreatic Cancer Pipeline Therapeutics and Analysis, 2021 - GlobeNewswire - February 1st, 2021
- ClearPoint Neuro, Inc. Announces Expansion of Pre-Clinical and Translational Development Team to Support Gene and Stem Cell Therapy Partners -... - January 30th, 2021
- Cell Therapy Market 2020 Industry Size, Share, Segmentation, Comprehensive Analysis and Forecast by 2025 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The... - January 30th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Industry Size, Trends, Global Growth, Insights And Forecast Research Report 2026 NeighborWebSJ - NeighborWebSJ - January 30th, 2021
- Researchers use patients' cells to test gene therapy for rare eye disease - National Institutes of Health - January 30th, 2021
- Exacis Biotherapeutics Announces Key Addition To Its Executive Leadership Team With Dirk Huebner MD Joining As Chief Medical Officer - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Caladrius Biosciences Treats First Patient in the Phase 2b FREEDOM Trial of CLBS16 for the Treatment of Coronary Microvascular Dysfunction - Cath Lab... - January 30th, 2021
- Tevogen Bio Secures Funding from Team of Doctors to Support Clinical Trials of Its Investigational Curative T Cell Therapy for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Orchard Therapeutics Outlines Comprehensive Presence at 2021 WORLDSymposium - GlobeNewswire - January 30th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | ANIMAL CELL THERAPIES,... - December 22nd, 2020
- I Peace, Inc. and Avery Therapeutics announce collaboration to bring iPSC derived cell therapy for heart failure to the clinic - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Successful Application of ImmCelz Immunotherapy for Treatment of Stroke - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Glycostem and Ghent University sign license agreement on NK cell therapy technology - PRNewswire - December 22nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market to See Massive Growth by 2026 Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive - Farming Sector - December 22nd, 2020
- Medicine by Design symposium highlights importance of convergence in regenerative medicine and human health - News@UofT - December 22nd, 2020
- Global NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market: Development, Current Analysis and Estimated Forecast to 2025 - The Courier - December 22nd, 2020
- ONK Therapeutics Announces Three Exclusive Option License Agreements, Which Extend and Strengthen its Dual-Targeted NK Cell Therapy Pipeline -... - December 22nd, 2020
- New Combination Therapy Tested By Children's May Offer Hope For Leukemia Patients - WVXU - December 22nd, 2020
- Ashley Cain says over 80,000 people registered for stem cell donation in 48 hours after appeal to save baby - The Sun - December 22nd, 2020
- Bayer and Atara Biotherapeutics Enter Strategic Collaboration for Mesothelin-Targeted CAR T-cell Therapies for Solid Tumors - Business Wire - December 7th, 2020
- New Cedars-Sinai Biomanufacturing Center to Spur Cell Therapies - Newswise - December 7th, 2020
- ALLO-715, Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy, Produces Early Promise in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - December 7th, 2020
- Stem cell therapy in coronavirus disease 2019: current evidence and future potential - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020
- Magenta Therapeutics and bluebird bio Announce a Phase 2 Clinical Trial Collaboration to Evaluate Magenta's MGTA-145 for Mobilizing and Collecting... - December 7th, 2020
- Treatment to restore vision by injecting stem cells into the eye could help people with damaged eyesight - iNews - December 7th, 2020
- Bayer creates cell and gene therapy platform to support partners - FierceBiotech - December 7th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - December 7th, 2020
- ASH Goes Remote as CAR T-Cell Therapy Competition Heats Up - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - December 7th, 2020
- Hematologist Discusses the Impact a Myeloma CAR T-Cell Approval Would Have on the Treatment Landscape - DocWire News - December 7th, 2020