A member of the Boulder community was among esteemed explorers from around the globe honored at the sixth annual Leif Erikson Exploration awards. Jeff Blumenfeld was named winner of the 2020 Leif Erikson Exploration History Award. Another Coloradan, Broomfield resident Dr. Ulyana Horodyskyj took home the Leif Erikson Young Explorer Award.
The awards were established by the Exploration Museum in 2015 and are awarded for outstanding achievements in exploration and for documentation of exploration history. Located in Hsavk, Iceland, a mere 30 miles from the Arctic Circle, the Exploration Museum dedicated the history of human exploration from early explorers all the way through space exploration. The awardees received their awards in August in a Zoom ceremony, the main event of the Hsavk Explorers Festival.
Blumenfeld, who calls himself a groupie for adventures and explorers, was recognized for his efforts to promote and preserve exploration history. He is the editor and publisher of Expedition News, a website where he has chronicled 26 years of exploration research. In addition to documenting adventures, Blumenfeld has dedicated his career to helping new explorers gain funding.
The explorer historian said he is thrilled to win this award. Recognition from my peers and others in the exploration community is something thats quite rewarding, Blumenfeld says. He feels fortunate to work with explorers and thankful his path has allowed him to work alongside many of his heroes.
This acknowledgment has only strengthened the passion he has for his work. It makes me want to lean in and do even more of what Im doing. Lean in and do even more to support exploration.
Blumenfeld has been a longtime member and leader in the Explorers Club. He has written several books including, Get Sponsored: A Funding Guide for Explorers, Adventurers and Would-Be World Travelers and Travel With Purpose: A Field Guide to Voluntourism, hoping to promote the benefits of exploration and travel.
Exploration is critically important in this world. Its through exploration that we answer many of the questions, many of the mysteries of this planet. Its through exploration that well understand this planet, he says.
Blumenfeld says he is among impressive company for this years award.
COURTESY Ulyana Horodyskyj
The Leif Erikson Young Explorer Award was bestowed upon Dr. Ulyana Horodyskyj for her exceptional achievements in exploration under the age of 35. Horodyskyj fell in love with the outdoors at a young age, which inspired her to pursue a career in geology and glaciology.
She is the founder of Science in the Wild, further distinguishing her in her field as a science communicator. The program is aimed to bring citizen-scientists into the field, by getting people outdoors, thinking like scientists, and collecting data in the field. She says, Science in the Wild is getting people to experience what its like to be a scientist; they contribute to science, and they learn a lot more.
Horodyskyj explains, Im not trying to turn people into scientists, but rather expose them to the kind of work that they do.
Although the pandemic has forced her to reinvent the Science in the Wild experience, the message is still resounding. The big picture is the importance, now more than ever, of science communication and demystifying a lot of things about what it means to be a scientist.
Above all, she wants people to understand that science can be an adventure.
LikeHorodyskyj,Blumenfeld believes the work done by scientists and researchers will make the world a better place.
If I can foster their efforts, Im totally rewarded by that. Thats all the reward I need, he says.
- NASA's New Space Exploration Gear Can Withstand Impact, Freezing Temperatures For Lunar Mission - SpaceCoastDaily.com - September 8th, 2020
- Russia makes bid to become a space power with Luna-25 mission to the moon - The Hill - September 8th, 2020
- Alabama rocket builder Bruno: Space exploration 'will help us to alleviate poverty here on Earth' - Yellowhammer News - September 8th, 2020
- Will Elon Musks Neuralink Wipe Disability Off The Face Of The Earth? - Forbes - September 8th, 2020
- Lisa Campbell becomes the first woman to head the Canadian Space Agency - CBC.ca - September 8th, 2020
- Extraterrestrial Hunters Figure Out a Way to Expand Their Search for Signals by a Factor of 200 - Universe Today - September 8th, 2020
- Space Race victory for UK: Britain leads the way with prestigious 'Exploration Award' - Daily Express - September 8th, 2020
- Latest Trends in Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market 2020, In-depth Analysis Considering Impact of Covid -19 on Share, Size and Future... - September 8th, 2020
- $2.3M in space exploration grants awarded to 3 New Mexico universities - KRQE News 13 - September 1st, 2020
- Reflections on America, space exploration, moon walking | News - MyEasternShoreMD - September 1st, 2020
- UCF students to go behind the scenes of live NASA asteroid mission - EdScoop News - September 1st, 2020
- INSERTING and REPLACING AMERGINT Technology Holdings Completes Acquisition of Raytheon Technologies' Space-based Optics Business to Be Renamed Danbury... - September 1st, 2020
- Can the Moon be a person? - Cosmos - September 1st, 2020
- US, Israeli delegations leave UAE after discussing broader cooperation - The Arab Weekly - September 1st, 2020
- NASA event marks 100th anniversary of women's voting rights - Space.com - September 1st, 2020
- Hilary Swank Takes Us Inside the Space Scenes of Netflix's 'Away' - TV Insider - September 1st, 2020
- Want your name on the next Mars rover? - Observer Online - September 1st, 2020
- How enigneers test the radiation shielding of electronics in space vehicles - Aerospace Testing International - September 1st, 2020
- A new wave of space exploration - Palatinate - August 10th, 2020
- Hilary Swank on New Space Exploration Series Away: I Wanted to Be an Astronaut Before I Wanted to Be an Actor - Anglophenia - August 10th, 2020
- In space exploration, Switzerland punches above its weight - MENAFN.COM - August 10th, 2020
- OWC Sending Customer Content to Outer Space on the Envoy Pro - PRNewswire - August 10th, 2020
- San Antonio 'in the hunt' to land U.S. Space Command - San Antonio Express-News - August 10th, 2020
- How the first Navy SEAL ended up in space - Business Insider - Business Insider - August 10th, 2020
- NASA releases weird-looking shape of our solar system - The Indian Express - August 10th, 2020
- The fault in our stars: Constellation mapping through events in time shows devastation caused by man in space - MEAWW - August 10th, 2020
- The Weather Station At The Top Of The World - Hackaday - August 10th, 2020
- Ice Sheets Covered Southern Highlands of Early Mars | Planetary Science, Space Exploration - Sci-News.com - August 10th, 2020
- Stunning Illustrated Guide To The Universe And Space Exploration Reaches New Zealand - Scoop.co.nz - August 10th, 2020
- Mark Zuckerberg Got $5.3 Billion Richer This Week Following Instagrams Launch Of TikTok Competitor - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- GomSpace + ESA Working Together To Implement Juventas Smallsat For Hera Mission - SatNews Publishers - August 9th, 2020
- 'Twinkle' mission will search for planets outside our solar system that could support life - The Ohio State University News - August 8th, 2020
- Quantitative & Qualitative Analysis on AI in Space Exploration Market 2020 |Trends, Growth, Opportunities, Scope & Detail Survey by 2026 | ... - August 8th, 2020
- Florida's Space Coast: The Great Space Coast Road Trip - PRNewswire - August 8th, 2020
- The Eagle Has Landed | Georgia Southern Magazine - Georgia Southern University Newsroom - August 8th, 2020
- Mars is the place (in space) to be - Cosmos - August 8th, 2020
- Western Slope Skies - The Limits of Space - KVNF Public Radio - August 8th, 2020
- The Eagle Has Landed - Georgia Southern University Newsroom - August 8th, 2020
- Casetify launches NASA-branded tech accessories on day of Perseverance rover launch - Space.com - August 8th, 2020
- The next giant leaps: The UK missions getting us to the Moon - BBC Focus Magazine - August 8th, 2020
- ITER, The Worlds Largest Nuclear Fusion Project: A Big Step Forward - Forbes - August 8th, 2020
- Exploring applications of ultraviolet disinfection technology - Health Europa - August 8th, 2020
- View from Brussels: Out of the space race? - E&T Magazine - August 7th, 2020
- I-Connect007 Editor's Choice: 5 Must-Reads for the Week - I-Connect007 - August 7th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market: Competitive Dynamics & Global Out - News by aeresearch - August 7th, 2020
- Flashback Friday: Possibilities of space exploration in 1980 - KELOLAND.com - August 6th, 2020
- SpaceX Took a First Small Step to Mars. That's Great News for Space Investors. - Barron's - August 6th, 2020
- VIPER Rover to use Thales Alenia Space tech for Earth comms - SpaceWatch.Global - August 6th, 2020
- Where no man has gone before: The problematic way we portray space exploration - The Big Smoke Australia - August 6th, 2020
- NASA Awards STTR Research Grant To Geisel Software And UNLV For Robot Simulation Platform for Source Search and Mapping - PRNewswire - August 6th, 2020
- Why are ASEAN nations joining the space race? - ASEAN TODAY - August 6th, 2020
- The first interplanetary helicopter is on its way to Mars - Space.com - July 31st, 2020
- SpaceX: Crew Dragon is returning to Earth heres when to hold your breath - The Conversation UK - July 31st, 2020
- 'On our way to Mars': NASA rover to look for signs of life - The Daily Times - July 31st, 2020
- KOTG: Mass testing at McCrossan Boys Ranch, FBI phone scam and cooler weather in the forecast - KELOLAND.com - July 31st, 2020
- Global space economy grows to $423.8 billion in 2019 - Geospatial World - July 31st, 2020
- Report proposes actions to strengthen US space industry and military capabilities - SpaceNews - July 31st, 2020
- Love the US Space & Rocket Center? #SaveSpaceCamp now - Bham Now - July 31st, 2020
- Space Photonics Opportunities Abound As NASA Renews Moon And Planetary Exploration Market: Future Scenarios and Business Opportunity Analysis COVID-19... - July 31st, 2020
- Perseverance Launches to Hunt for Signs of Ancient Martian Life | Planetary Science, Space Exploration - Sci-News.com - July 31st, 2020
- The lunar rock hounds of Apollo 15: Exploring the moon in a bucking bronco buggy in 1971 - PennLive - July 31st, 2020
- Hope Leads the Way to Mars - The Planetary Society - July 31st, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market Insights Overview 2020-2026 | by Market Value, Volume, Size, Share and Applications - Owned - July 31st, 2020
- Heres how it feels to experience the Mars life on Earth - Livemint - July 31st, 2020
- KULR Technology Receives US Patent Covering Risk Minimization of Fires and Explosions in Lithium-Ion Battery Packs - I-Connect007 - July 30th, 2020
- White House report outlines integrated strategy for space exploration and development - SpaceNews - July 29th, 2020
- A space exploration fan, jazz artist Gregory Porter to sing for NASA launch - Reuters - July 29th, 2020
- JPL Interns Are Working From Home While 'Going the Distance' for Space Exploration - Meet JPL Interns | NASA/JPL Edu - NASA/JPL Edu News - July 29th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market to Grow at a Stayed CAGR from 2019 - News.MarketSizeForecasters.com - July 29th, 2020
- #SpaceWatch Column: Exorcising the ghost of Apollo? - SpaceWatch.Global - July 29th, 2020
- With Pride in Heart: Belarus' achievements in space exploration - Belarus News (BelTA) - July 29th, 2020
- Steampunk Venus rover ideas win NASA contest to 'explore hell' with clockwork robots - Space.com - July 29th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market (Covid-19 Updated) Is Projected to Grow at an Exponential Rate over 2020 to 2025 | MAXAR Technologies... - July 29th, 2020
- Nations with Narrow Goals Are Trying to Capture Outer Space - NewsClick - July 29th, 2020
- KULR Technology Group Announces Issuance of U.S. Patent Covering Risk Minimization of Fires and Explosions in Lithium-Ion Battery Packs -... - July 29th, 2020
- Three-way funding agreement to establish 'Khalifa University Space Technology and Innovation Centre' - WAM EN - July 29th, 2020
- Taking India-Gulf Cooperation Into Space The Diplomat - The Diplomat - July 29th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market to Grow at a Stayed CAGR from 2019 - GroundAlerts.com - July 29th, 2020
- China's Mars mission is a glimpse into its space ambitions. But we're not in a space race yet - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Turkey "freezes" Oil And Gas Research In The Eastern Mediterranean - GreekCityTimes.com - July 29th, 2020