NASA astronaut Jessica Meir rocks her CAVES shirt on board the International Space Station. Jessica was the first woman to participate in ESA's underground astronaut training programme in 2016. It might not be obvious, but there are many similarities between working deep underground and in outer space.
Since 2011, ESA's Cooperative Adventure for Valuing and Exercising human behaviour and performance Skills course has been taking astronauts below Earth's surface and preparing them to work safely and effectively as representative spaceflight teams in an environment where risk, scientific operations and living conditions have many similarities to space . At the end of the course astronauts are better prepared to participate in long term ISS expeditions, balancing mission goals, environmental risks, team demands through their individual skills and team processes.
As many as 34 astronauts from six agencies have scouted caves to experience the challenges and excitement of exploring alien environments on Earth.
Jessica joined the 2016 edition along with five astronauts from China, Japan, USA, Spain and Russia in the caves of Sardinia, Italy, to explore the depths and train for life in outer space. As the team's biologist, Jessica was tasked with searching for alien underground life. Jessica talked about her love for exploration and her experience at CAVES in her video before launching to the Space Station.
Just as with spacewalks, the underground 'cavewalks' required safety tethering, 3D orientation, careful planning and teamwork. Jessica and her fellow cave explorers needed to stay alert in an environment where they were deprived of natural light and every move was a step into the unknown.
The experience no doubt complemented the extensive spacewalk training she has since received. Jessica went on to conduct the first ever all-female spacewalk during her 205 days in space. Alongside NASA astronaut and friend Christina Koch, the women totalled 21 hours and 44 minutes outside the Space Station across three historic spacewalks.
The next ESA Caves course will take place in 2021. ESA astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti is tentatively booked for the course. Follow all the Caves adventures on the blog.
From under the Earth to above it, Jessica is now back down on our planet. She returned with fellow NASA astronaut Drew Morgan and cosmonaut Oleg Skripochka on 17 April.
Given a global pandemic and strict quarantine measures, the crew were welcomed home, just in time for Earth Day on 22 April. The annual event to mark environmental protection is celebrating its 50th anniversary and is the first to be celebrated from home.
As difficult as quarantine has been for communities across the globe, the impact on our planet is noticeable. Analyses from Earth observation satellites are showing the continued low levels of nitrogen dioxide concentrations across Europe - coinciding with lockdown measures implemented to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
In light of this, staying home does not seem such a bad way to celebrate Earth Day.
Related LinksCooperative Adventure for Valuing and Exercising human behaviour and performance SkillsSpace Tourism, Space Transport and Space Exploration News
With the rise of Ad Blockers, and Facebook - our traditional revenue sources via quality network advertising continues to decline. And unlike so many other news sites, we don't have a paywall - with those annoying usernames and passwords.
Our news coverage takes time and effort to publish 365 days a year.
If you find our news sites informative and useful then please consider becoming a regular supporter or for now make a one off contribution.
See the original post:
- Join the National Space Society for 'A Day in Space,' a celebration of spaceflight, this week - Space.com - July 14th, 2020
- Global Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market to Witness Huge Growth by 2025 Along with Top Keyplayers This report presents a comprehensive... - July 14th, 2020
- Space exploration is still the next frontier and it's been happening for 80 years in the military - We Are The Mighty - July 14th, 2020
- Three space missions heading to Mars, from NASA, China and UAE - ABC News - July 14th, 2020
- AI in Space Exploration Market is expected to grow at Outstanding CAGR during the forecast period from 2020 to 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 14th, 2020
- AGU 2020 Session P010: Detecting Life through Space and Time: From Geochemistry to Biology - Planetary News - July 14th, 2020
- Mars inspires a new generation of astronauts, like Alyssa Carson - Business Insider - Business Insider - July 14th, 2020
- WVU Robotic Technology Center to play crucial role in the future of in-space assembly - WBOY.com - July 14th, 2020
- Space Photonics Opportunities Abound As NASA Renews Moon And Planetary Exploration Market to Witness over XX% Growth 'in Revenue During the COVID-19... - July 14th, 2020
- Despite a Skyward Mission, NASA Shaped the Study of Life on Earth - Undark Magazine - July 14th, 2020
- NASA Perseverance rover's search for life on Mars: What you need to know - CNET - July 14th, 2020
- EAEU countries mull over joint space project - Kazinform - July 14th, 2020
- Russia Actively Developing Nuclear Propulsion System for Space Exploration - Roscosmos - UrduPoint News - July 14th, 2020
- Space Robotics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - July 14th, 2020
- UK at forefront of space exploration with biomining experiment - Mirage News - July 14th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth with Industry Study, Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Summer on Mars: NASA's Perseverance Rover Is One of Three Missions Ready to Launch - Scientific American - July 13th, 2020
- 4 Strange Objects Discovered in Deep Space Have Astronomers Baffled - MovieWeb - July 13th, 2020
- Australia's first Aboriginal-owned ground station could be vital for space research - SBS News - July 13th, 2020
- 8 Awesome Games Based on Movies, TV Shows, and Books - Gizmodo UK - July 12th, 2020
- Moon Mining Could Begin As Early As 2025 - OilPrice.com - July 11th, 2020
- Deep Space Exploration and Technology Market: Key Players, Growth, Analysis, 20 - News by aeresearch - July 11th, 2020
- Op-ed | On the verge of a new era for space exploration? Assessing the impact of the ongoing crisis - SpaceNews - July 11th, 2020
- Spuds and space: NASA and Idaho have a long history - East Idaho News - July 11th, 2020
- 2 Tampa Bay area counties are vying to become home of the US Space Force - WTSP.com - July 11th, 2020
- From Dinosaurs to Deep Space, CuriosityStream Brings a World of Factual Entertainment to Sweden Through Its Launch on Com Hem - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- Your guide to spotting the NEOWISE comet - London Free Press (Blogs) - July 10th, 2020
- UK government takes $500 million stake in space exploration firm OneWeb - The Verge - July 5th, 2020
- 4 Private Indian Rocket Companies That Will Push The Boundaries Of Space Exploration With ISRO - MensXP.com - July 5th, 2020
- NASA Renews Campus Research Center for Another Two Years | Newsroom - UC Merced University News - July 5th, 2020
- Japan to boost space cooperation with US in revised policy - WUSA9.com - July 5th, 2020
- Lunar Subsurface May Be Richer in Metals than Previously Thought | Planetary Science, Space Exploration - Sci-News.com - July 5th, 2020
- Privatisation in Space: Poor Prospects and the Inevitable Lurking Dangers - NewsClick - July 5th, 2020
- Japan to Boost Space Cooperation with US - Manufacturing Business Technology - July 5th, 2020
- Sex in Space: Can Astronauts Ever Have This Out-of-the World Experience? - News18 - July 5th, 2020
- SpaceX success has Asia startups dreaming of the stars - Nikkei Asian Review - July 5th, 2020
- We Have To Get Our Act Together: Cosmos: Possible Worlds Creator Ann Druyan On Science And Preserving Our Species - Deadline - July 5th, 2020
- Named the date of the first stage of placing of system of the Russian satellites in space - The Times Hub - July 5th, 2020
- Satellite Payload Market 2020 Size, Share, Trends with Growth and Business Strategies by 2026 |Dettwiler and Associates, honeywell International Inc,... - July 5th, 2020
- Space exploration - Wikipedia - June 23rd, 2020
- Making the future of space exploration a more inclusive one - Arizona State University - June 23rd, 2020
- Redwire Acquires Made In Space, the Leader in On-orbit Space Manufacturing Technologies - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- the rumpl NASA collection celebrates the 50th anniversary of apollo 13 - Designboom - June 23rd, 2020
- NASA seeks NH small businesses for help with its new moon mission - New Hampshire Business Review - June 23rd, 2020
- Manufacturing Out of This World - IndustryWeek - June 23rd, 2020
- Massive SLS Rocket Test: NASA to Apply Millions of Pounds of Force to Try to Break Oxygen Tank Structure - SciTechDaily - June 23rd, 2020
- Firgelli Success with Linear Actuators led to the release of the Smart Synchronized controller - PRNewswire - June 23rd, 2020
- From Elusive Mountain Lions to Majestic Fjords, CuriosityStream Goes Wild with Dozens of New and Premiere Documentary Specials from Award-winning... - June 23rd, 2020
- CMR over the moon with SpaceX executive hire - Business Weekly - June 23rd, 2020
- Luca Sorriso-Valvo: Check your space weather forecast and hide from radiation - Asgardia Space News - June 23rd, 2020
- Life support tech company helping pave way for future of space exploration - FirstCoastNews.com WTLV-WJXX - June 9th, 2020
- Space exploration is about adventure, but also responsibility - The National - June 9th, 2020
- A new era: The Space Age is making a comeback, but it's cheaper this time with SpaceX. - USA TODAY - June 9th, 2020
- WRITE TEAM: Space travel is back to once again give us faraway dreams - MyWebTimes.com - June 9th, 2020
- The 'Mars Underground': How a Rag-Tag Group of Students Helped Spark a Return to the Red Planet - Discover Magazine - June 9th, 2020
- Xplore To Host Space For Humanity Payload On Its First Moon Mission - SpaceWatch.Global - June 9th, 2020
- Timken has spot on NASAs next space telescope - The-review - June 9th, 2020
- Cal Poly Partnership with Air Force Research Laboratory Will Direct $2.5 Million to Aerospace Engineering Department - Cal Poly San Luis Obispo News - June 9th, 2020
- A group of enthusiasts has annotated the assembly code for the Apollo 11 mission to the Moon - Neowin - June 9th, 2020
- National Youth Science Camp is online this year, instead of in W.Va. hills - WV MetroNews - West Virginia MetroNews - June 9th, 2020
- ISRO Working On Eliminating Space Debris In Collaboration With ARIES - Gizbot - June 9th, 2020
- 2020 New Momentum of the Space Age, Humanity, and Asgardia - Asgardia Space News - June 9th, 2020
- Emerging Space opportunities in India - Geospatial World - June 9th, 2020
- Space Exploration: Stocks and ETFs to Watch - The Motley Fool Canada - June 9th, 2020
- Stay Home, Watch Horror: 5 Deep Space Horror Movies to Stream This Week - Bloody Disgusting - June 9th, 2020
- Physicists Solve the Mystery of the Light-Speed Cyclist - Popular Mechanics - June 9th, 2020
- ISRO signs MoU with ARIES for cooperation in Space Situational Awareness, Astrophysics - Economic Times - June 9th, 2020
- The Dangers of Space, Military Rivals and Other New Books to Read - Smithsonian.com - June 9th, 2020
- Ethics of Space Exploration: Exploring to Sustain? - EuroScientist - May 19th, 2020
- Struggling with isolation? Astronauts have been there, done that - The Detroit News - May 19th, 2020
- 'Kerbal Space Program' teams up with European Space Agency for 'Shared Horizons' expansion - Space.com - May 19th, 2020
- They Came From Earth IP Rights in Outer Space - JD Supra - May 19th, 2020
- The food and water systems astronauts will need to travel to places like Mars - Horizon magazine - May 19th, 2020
- NASA moves to resume SLS testing 'Next great era of space exploration' still on horizon - Yellowhammer News - May 19th, 2020
- Covid 19 Pandemic: AI in Space Exploration Market Analysis with Market Size, Industry Share, trends and Forecast to 2025 - News Distinct - May 19th, 2020
- Indian space sector reforms: Will it be a big bang approach? - Outlook India - May 19th, 2020
- Isaac Asimov: 'How We'll Live on the Moon' - Popular Mechanics - May 19th, 2020
- Space Mining Market To See Strong Growth and Business Scope During 2019 to 2027 | Key Players: Deep Space Industries, Planetary Resources, SpaceFab,... - May 19th, 2020
- Behind the HYPE: How Hasselblad Became the Camera for Space Exploration - HYPEBEAST - May 19th, 2020
- $ 260 billion will be invested in space exploration in the coming years - Checkersaga - May 19th, 2020