Sherin Francis is one of the hardest working CEOs in the travel and tourism industry, welcoming visitors to her island nation with open arms for many years.
Sherin is the CEO of the Seychelles Tourism Board, a country that is relying on tourism for its people to prosper. Seychelles is also paradise on Earth in a lot of ways, recognized as one of the most beautiful travel destinations and tourism infrastructures in the world. Located in the Indian Ocean, Seychelles is fragile, like any island region. Seychelles is also a country where everyone is a friend, and no one is considered an enemy.
Its important to maintain Seychelles as a beautiful travel destination and to protect its people.
Today Sherin Francis addressed friends of Seychelles and the world with this heartwarming message and advice:
The world as we know has taken a challenging turn on 30 January 2020, when the WHO declared the COVID-19 outbreak a public health emergency of international concern.
We anticipated that we would be affected as a destination but even more so as individuals, we were concerned for our families, friends, acquaintances, business partners all over the world.
In the past few weeks, we have witnessed the spreading of an aggressive virus that has proven difficult for the medical corps around the world to understand and manage. Our thoughts go to everyone around the world as we are all affected by this crisis.
Over the past few weeks, I believe people have realized that the tourism industry is a very fragile one; everything that happens locally and internationally can affects the industry we all depend on as a country.
It is a sad moment for us to see the industry we cherish be brought to its knees; borders closing, airlines and cruise companies shutting their operations, hotel partners announcing the reduction of their activities.
The fast evolution of the situation makes it very difficult at this point for us as the Tourism Board to estimate and analyze the impact and damage to the industry and much less to plan the recovery of our industry. These sad days are fuelling our motivation as a Tourism Board to work harder to make sure that our industry now critically incapacitated shines again when brighter days will come.
We are currently working on various plans to bring Seychelles Tourism to new dawn basing ourselves on a short-term and a long-term plan.
Our short-term plan would be on the assumption that the situation does not deteriorate. If people are required to stay in confinement at home or if there is a countrywide fear, we will have to wait for these to pass before it can be executed.
Since at STB, we believe there are positive things that come out of everything even from crisis as this one, we now have the possibility to shift our marketing efforts locally and provide some supports to partners who are willing to tap into the staycation segment. We are looking forward to this new challenge!!!
On the long run, our recovery plan to get back on our feet as a destination after this crisis will depend on six major things including:
Above all, for our plan to work, we will need your continued support.
I would like to commend all STB staff for their dedication in this time of need. A special thought to the frontline staff at the Seychelles International Airport, at the Praslin Airport, the La Digue Jetty and also all staff stationed in the four corners of the world.
I am grateful to the industry partners, as most of them have responded positively in all instances when contacted by our teams. This has reassured us in showing that they have our industry at heart and are dedicated to its wellbeing.
My message to the industry and our partners is to remain strong in these trying times, encourage travelers to postpone and not cancel their travel. To all of our travelers, I am urging you to postpone your travel, stay home and travel later.
Remember we are all in this together!
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - October 19th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Rescue operation fails to find any sign of Bribie Island couple after boat sinks in stormy seas off African coast - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi couple spent 15 weeks in the Seychelles after flights were grounded - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- Ray of light for region's economies - The Southern Times - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - July 17th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020
- Cabinet Business- 17 June 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting with multisectoral representatives - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Use of a Private Island at Six Senses Zil Pasyon, the Ultimate Playground in Paradise - Franchising.com - June 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is the Biggest Test African Governments Have Ever Faced - BRINK - June 18th, 2020
- Tiny Tax Haven Accounts for $36B of Cross-Border BTC Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 18th, 2020
- All at sea: the future of cruises in the age of contagion - Globetrender - May 31st, 2020
- Seychelles prepares the reopening of its National Museum during the COVID-19 pandemic - India Education Diary - May 31st, 2020
- How can we avoid pandemics in the future? - World Economic Forum - May 21st, 2020
- Seychelles bans all cruise ships till the end of 2021 amid the spread of COVID-19 - Happytrips - May 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business- Thursday 21st May 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting to address maritime security matters - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Assents to Legislation: Children (Amendment) Act, 2020 and Defence (Amendment) Act, 2020 - Office of the President of the Republic of... - May 21st, 2020
- Nature Is Our Best Antiviral - The Asean Post - May 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation update for the WHO African Region, External Situation Report 12 (19 May 2020) - South Africa - ReliefWeb - May 21st, 2020
- Hotels In Seychelles Try To Cope With Loss Of Income - Eurasia Review - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Economic and Social Impact on Ocean Islands - The New Dawn Liberia - April 25th, 2020
- An opportunity not seen since the Garden of Eden - The Highland County Press - April 25th, 2020
- Over 3000 foreigners held up in Croatia and in no rush to leave - Croatia Week - April 25th, 2020
- FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER | JOE DANIELS - DIVE Magazine - April 25th, 2020
- India's Indian Ocean Diplomacy in the COVID-19 Crisis - The Diplomat - April 25th, 2020
- This tiny island nation is setting the global standard for ocean conservation - AOL - April 9th, 2020
- After Trump, Bolsonaro thanks Modi for supply of anti-malarial drug - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Plenty of fish in the Seychelles - Grist - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles extends protection to marine area twice the size of Great Britain - Mongabay.com - April 2nd, 2020
- The Brief: Small and growing business liquidity and stabilization, Seychelles' debt-for-conservation swap, development-finance relief, tools for... - April 2nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 1 April 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- President Faure briefed on security measures in place in response to COVID-19 outbreak - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles Map / Geography of Seychelles / Map of ... - March 26th, 2020
- 'We better go home': Kearney couple returns from 11-country world tour, is now isolating - Kearney Hub - March 26th, 2020