Dangerous conditions have hindered the search for a missing Bribie Island couple after their boat sank off the coast of Tanzania in East Africa.
Del and Craig McEwan were sailing across the Indian ocean to the Seychelles archipelago when their boat began to sink after encountering stormy seas on Monday night.
It's unclear whether or not the couple successfully boarded a life raft while waiting to be rescued by the Seychelles Coast Guard.
The couple had been travelling the African coast in a catamaran named Ohana-Uli and were planning on returning to Australia.
In a statement, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said a distress beacon registered to an Australian catamaran was detected in the Tanzanian search and rescue region on Monday evening.
"AMSA identified and contacted the closest and only available merchant ship, the tanker Atlantic Lily. The Atlantic Lily diverted to the location," it said.
"Upon arrival on scene the next morning, the ship's crew encountered extremely challenging conditions, including rough seas and strong winds in darkness and attempts to recover survivors were unsuccessful.
"AMSA would like to express its condolences to the families involved and its gratitude to the crew of Atlantic Lily who attempted to provide assistance as per their international obligations in highly challenging conditions."
The sailing community have expressed their concern for the couple with many posting to a Facebook group.
One member, Nikki Loolah said search and rescue teams were sent out on Wednesday to find the couple but were unsuccessful.
"Sadly there was no success finding Del and Craig yesterday," Ms Loolah posted on Wednesday.
"No sightings or debris, last sighting was at 6:00am Tuesday morning and I can confirm the damage to the life raft was significant enough that they were in the water heartbreaking."
Another member, Graham Gower said he had been in contact with the Seychelles Coast Guard who told him a military plane also searched the area on Wednesday.
Jeffrey Cheffers met the couple five years ago when he and his partner's boat was moored next to theirs in the Darwin marina.
"They were living permanently on their vessel and were travelling the world when this accident happened so they're extremely experienced sailors," Mr Cheffers said.
"I can't imagine this would be human error, put it that way."
"The last sighting is that they were sort of floating in the water in very rough conditions off the Seychelles and the word from the Seychelles [Coast Guard] is the conditions were too rough and too dangerous to search for them," Mr Cheffers said.
"So it's all looking a bit tragic for our friends.
"They would have been left floundering and if it was really rough seas and dark it would be catastrophic there wouldn't be worse conditions to find yourself in.
"So it doesn't look good if they're 250 miles off the coast you can't see land, you can't swim for assistance and there's no one there to help."
Mr Cheffers described his friends as seasoned sailors who were friendly and helpful to newcomers on the sailing scene.
"I can remember six or eight of us sitting on the rear deck [of their boat], all lounging in the sun, joking, laughing, having a chat [and] probably a glass of wine.
"Hopefully a miracle occurs and they're rescued."
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade has been providing the couple's family with consular assistance.
Here is the original post:
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - October 19th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi couple spent 15 weeks in the Seychelles after flights were grounded - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- Ray of light for region's economies - The Southern Times - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - July 17th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020
- Cabinet Business- 17 June 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting with multisectoral representatives - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Use of a Private Island at Six Senses Zil Pasyon, the Ultimate Playground in Paradise - Franchising.com - June 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is the Biggest Test African Governments Have Ever Faced - BRINK - June 18th, 2020
- Tiny Tax Haven Accounts for $36B of Cross-Border BTC Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 18th, 2020
- All at sea: the future of cruises in the age of contagion - Globetrender - May 31st, 2020
- Seychelles prepares the reopening of its National Museum during the COVID-19 pandemic - India Education Diary - May 31st, 2020
- How can we avoid pandemics in the future? - World Economic Forum - May 21st, 2020
- Seychelles bans all cruise ships till the end of 2021 amid the spread of COVID-19 - Happytrips - May 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business- Thursday 21st May 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting to address maritime security matters - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Assents to Legislation: Children (Amendment) Act, 2020 and Defence (Amendment) Act, 2020 - Office of the President of the Republic of... - May 21st, 2020
- Nature Is Our Best Antiviral - The Asean Post - May 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation update for the WHO African Region, External Situation Report 12 (19 May 2020) - South Africa - ReliefWeb - May 21st, 2020
- Hotels In Seychelles Try To Cope With Loss Of Income - Eurasia Review - April 26th, 2020
- COVID-19: The Economic and Social Impact on Ocean Islands - The New Dawn Liberia - April 25th, 2020
- An opportunity not seen since the Garden of Eden - The Highland County Press - April 25th, 2020
- Over 3000 foreigners held up in Croatia and in no rush to leave - Croatia Week - April 25th, 2020
- FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER | JOE DANIELS - DIVE Magazine - April 25th, 2020
- India's Indian Ocean Diplomacy in the COVID-19 Crisis - The Diplomat - April 25th, 2020
- This tiny island nation is setting the global standard for ocean conservation - AOL - April 9th, 2020
- After Trump, Bolsonaro thanks Modi for supply of anti-malarial drug - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Plenty of fish in the Seychelles - Grist - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles extends protection to marine area twice the size of Great Britain - Mongabay.com - April 2nd, 2020
- The Brief: Small and growing business liquidity and stabilization, Seychelles' debt-for-conservation swap, development-finance relief, tools for... - April 2nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 1 April 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- President Faure briefed on security measures in place in response to COVID-19 outbreak - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles Map / Geography of Seychelles / Map of ... - March 26th, 2020
- Seychelles Tourism Board CEO: Stay home and travel later - we are all in this together! - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - March 26th, 2020
- 'We better go home': Kearney couple returns from 11-country world tour, is now isolating - Kearney Hub - March 26th, 2020