Windhoek In the gloom of COVID-19, Mauritius and Tanzania have cast a ray of light for Southern Africa as the two countries economies continue to grow.
The World Bank recently classified Tanzania as a lower-middle income economy, while Mauritius classification was enhanced from upper-middle to high income.
The World Bank classifies economies in four income groups: low, lower-middle, upper-middle and high.
For its assessment, the World Bank uses gross national income (GNI) per capita, which entails dividing the gross annual income by the population to determine what a person earns on average per year.
The GNI per capita model is linked to indicators that measure social and environmental wellbeing, and classifications are updated every 1st of July 1.
Lower-middle income refers to GNI per capita of between US$1,026 and US$3,995; and upper-middle income as GNI per capita between US$3,396 and US$12,375. A high income economy has GNI per capita of US$12,375 and above.
The majority of Southern African countries are in the broad middle income bracket.
For 2020-2021, the World Bank said Mauritius GNI per capital had risen from US$12,050 to US$12,740, thus making it a high income economy.
Tanzania was this year classified lower-middle income with GNI per capita of US$1,080, up from US$1,020.
We had envisaged achieving this status by 2025 but, with strong determination, this has been possible in 2020. God Bless Tanzania, President John Magufuli said on Twitter after the World Bank published its 2020 classifications.
Tanzania has achieved high growth rates on the back of revenue from natural resources and tourism. The countrys GDP growth from 2009 to date has been between six and seven percent per year.
The government has used fiscal stimulus measures and monetary policy tools to lessen the impact of the global recession, while the country also benefited from low oil prices.
While Tanzania is transitioning to a market economy, the government retains a presence in the telecommunications, banking, energy, and mining sectors.
The economy largely depends on agriculture, which accounts for slightly less than a quarter of GDP and employs about 65 percent of the work force. Gold production has been on the rise and now accounts for 35 percent of exports.
All land in Tanzania is owned by the government, which can lease land for up to 99 years. Proposed reforms to allow foreign land ownership are widely unpopular.
Meanwhile, the Seychelles remains one of Africas top performing economies.
The Indian Ocean archipelago achieved high income status with GNI per capita of more than US$12,000 in 2013, a figure that grew to US$13,990 the following year and surpassed US$17,000 in 2019.
It has the highest GNI per capita in SADC.
With its recent accession to the World Trade Organisation, an upswing in tourism and steady progress towards ocean-floor oil and gas exploration, the Seychelles is on the path to increasing its GNI per capita in the 2021 fiscal year.
On the other hand, Namibias government wants its upper-middle income classification revised as it feels the country misses out on financial facilities available to low-middle and low income economies.
Namibias GNI per capita is US$5,931.45.
Namibias government contends that the criteria used by the World Bank to elevate the country to upper middle-income status did not reflect the reality on the ground.
Namibia's classification as an upper-middle-income country has made it difficult for the country to access loans at favourable rates, and has hampered development efforts, President Hage Geingob has said.
Despite the headwinds brought by COVID-19, which has led to a slump in economic output and massive job losses, South Africa remains classified as an upper middle-income economy with GNI per capita of US$6,374.03.
Read more from the original source:
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles Maps & Facts - World Atlas - August 24th, 2021
- SEYCHELLES: Covid-19 puts a damper on waste management on the island of Perseverance - AFRIK 21 - February 11th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - RADIO.COM - February 11th, 2021
- Waldorf Astoria and Canopy by Hilton to Debut in the Seychelles - Franchising.com - February 7th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 7th, 2021
- Africa in the news: Nigerian oil, COVID-19, and Uganda updates - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2021
- Tales from the Coffeeshop: A gift for splitting hairs and spinning gestures - Cyprus Mail - February 7th, 2021
- How travelers help to protect the Outer Islands of the Seychelles - CNN - February 4th, 2021
- Air Seychelles would be ahead of schedule on transformation plan if 2020 was a normal year: CEO | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - February 4th, 2021
- KuCoin CEO Reflects on 2020 and Looks to the Future - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Israel and Greece in talks to allow reciprocal visits for vaccinated tourists - Ynetnews - February 4th, 2021
- Vaccinated tourists can now visit the Seychelles without quarantining - Euronews - January 23rd, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know Before Visiting The Amazing Seychelles - TravelAwaits - January 23rd, 2021
- Got the vaccine? Then you can now hit the beach in Seychelles - Time Out - January 23rd, 2021
- Why Romania is a better post-lockdown holiday option than the Seychelles - Telegraph.co.uk - January 23rd, 2021
- Ambassador for United States to the Republic of Seychelles bids Farewell - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- More contributions to the Covid-19 Relief Fund - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- 3 islands in the Seychelles you must see - IOL - December 28th, 2020
- What Happened To Air New Zealands Boeing 767s? - Simple Flying - December 28th, 2020
- Top 10 Nature Images of 2020: Wildflowers, Coastal Scenes, and Ancient Treasures - The Pew Charitable Trusts - December 28th, 2020
- Year in Review: Africa's 2020 elections - Africanews English - December 28th, 2020
- His View: That's our boy, shredding values to the bitter end - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - December 28th, 2020
- Seychelles, Longtime Home of BitMEX, Is Bending to US Pressure on KYC - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles and San Jose among routes axed by BA - Daily Business - December 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 16th December 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- BitMEX Trading Exchange Earns Criminal and Civil Prosecution for AML Violations - JD Supra - December 21st, 2020
- President meets with Seychellois Community in the UAE - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles Promoted in the First Virtual Gulf Travel Show - FTNnews.com - December 21st, 2020
- Figure of the week: Africas visa openness continues to improve - Brookings Institution - December 21st, 2020
- India needs more than Quad to secure the Indo-Pacific - The Times of India Blog - December 21st, 2020
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Rescue operation fails to find any sign of Bribie Island couple after boat sinks in stormy seas off African coast - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi couple spent 15 weeks in the Seychelles after flights were grounded - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020