Travel restrictions in Seychelles and globally due to theCOVID-19pandemic has resulted in a steep drop in revenue in the local tourism industry, affecting both owners and the staff they employ.
SNA spoke to some hotel owners to find out how they are coping with the sudden downturn, which comes after several years of strong tourism growth, including many new international flights, in the island nation.
The owner ofLes Lauriers Eco Hotel, Sybille Cardon, told SNA that the situation is dire for her as she had just completed construction works on the hotel and was expected to do the official opening on April 1.
For me, this is a catastrophe as we do not have any cash flow and I have invested all that I had in the establishment. Even if the bank has frozen the loan for six months, I dont know how the situation will be in six months. The government will be helping me to pay the staff otherwise I would have had redundancies, said Cardon.
She added that before the government came forward with the financial aid, she had already spoken to the staff and they understood the situation.
Following the governments decision to grant leave to parents with children under 15 years of age, only 10 percent of staff are working to maintain the establishment.
Le Duc de Praslin Hotel & Villas, a Seychellois-owned establishment located on Seychelles second-largest island, Praslin, closed March 23. The marketing director of the establishment, Derek Savy, said the situation will be reassessed toward mid-April to decide on the re-opening date.
From the 100 staff that the hotel employ, we have retained 40 who are working to maintain the hotel. Every effort is being made to keep the costs at a minimum and taking all precautions to ensure that all safety standards are adhered to, said Savy.
Most recently the hotel opened a new complex of 20 deluxe rooms. Though these rooms are in top shape, staff are concentrating on the back of the house maintenance such as full equipment maintenance of chillers, freezers, airconditioners among others.
Talking about safety measures, he said that, to avoid overcrowding in the canteen during meals, special timings have been designated for staff. Sanitisation spots have been installed around the hotel to ensure good hygiene is maintained at all times.
We are also taking the opportunity to modernise some of our older rooms and have recently reopened our villas for clients who are still in Seychelles seeking accommodation. Keeping the gardens and grounds clean as well as improving on our landscaping is an ongoing process in this downtime which will ensure that upon reopening the hotel will be welcoming back its guests with a new face, said Savy.
The general manager ofHilton Seychelles Labriz Resort and Spa, Andre Borg, told SNA that the 30 percent of employees still on duty are there to maintain infrastructures of the resort on Silhouette.
At the moment we are maintaining the power plants, we supply the water and we also maintain the boat, the transportation between Mahe and Silhouette. This is what the hotel is responsible for. Right now, there are no guests and the last visitor left around March 27, said Borg.
Please Donate Today Did you enjoy this article? Then please consider donating today to ensure that Eurasia Review can continue to be able to provide similar content.
View original post here:
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - October 19th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Rescue operation fails to find any sign of Bribie Island couple after boat sinks in stormy seas off African coast - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi couple spent 15 weeks in the Seychelles after flights were grounded - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- Ray of light for region's economies - The Southern Times - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - July 17th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020
- Cabinet Business- 17 June 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting with multisectoral representatives - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - June 18th, 2020
- Exclusive Use of a Private Island at Six Senses Zil Pasyon, the Ultimate Playground in Paradise - Franchising.com - June 18th, 2020
- COVID-19 Is the Biggest Test African Governments Have Ever Faced - BRINK - June 18th, 2020
- Tiny Tax Haven Accounts for $36B of Cross-Border BTC Transactions - Cointelegraph - June 18th, 2020
- All at sea: the future of cruises in the age of contagion - Globetrender - May 31st, 2020
- Seychelles prepares the reopening of its National Museum during the COVID-19 pandemic - India Education Diary - May 31st, 2020
- How can we avoid pandemics in the future? - World Economic Forum - May 21st, 2020
- Seychelles bans all cruise ships till the end of 2021 amid the spread of COVID-19 - Happytrips - May 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business- Thursday 21st May 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Faure chairs meeting to address maritime security matters - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - May 21st, 2020
- President Assents to Legislation: Children (Amendment) Act, 2020 and Defence (Amendment) Act, 2020 - Office of the President of the Republic of... - May 21st, 2020
- Nature Is Our Best Antiviral - The Asean Post - May 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Situation update for the WHO African Region, External Situation Report 12 (19 May 2020) - South Africa - ReliefWeb - May 21st, 2020
- COVID-19: The Economic and Social Impact on Ocean Islands - The New Dawn Liberia - April 25th, 2020
- An opportunity not seen since the Garden of Eden - The Highland County Press - April 25th, 2020
- Over 3000 foreigners held up in Croatia and in no rush to leave - Croatia Week - April 25th, 2020
- FEATURED PHOTOGRAPHER | JOE DANIELS - DIVE Magazine - April 25th, 2020
- India's Indian Ocean Diplomacy in the COVID-19 Crisis - The Diplomat - April 25th, 2020
- This tiny island nation is setting the global standard for ocean conservation - AOL - April 9th, 2020
- After Trump, Bolsonaro thanks Modi for supply of anti-malarial drug - Livemint - April 9th, 2020
- Plenty of fish in the Seychelles - Grist - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles extends protection to marine area twice the size of Great Britain - Mongabay.com - April 2nd, 2020
- The Brief: Small and growing business liquidity and stabilization, Seychelles' debt-for-conservation swap, development-finance relief, tools for... - April 2nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 1 April 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- President Faure briefed on security measures in place in response to COVID-19 outbreak - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - April 2nd, 2020
- Seychelles Map / Geography of Seychelles / Map of ... - March 26th, 2020
- Seychelles Tourism Board CEO: Stay home and travel later - we are all in this together! - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - March 26th, 2020
- 'We better go home': Kearney couple returns from 11-country world tour, is now isolating - Kearney Hub - March 26th, 2020