We assumed all along that the loser would top off his tenure by pardoning a motley crew of crooked politicians and lying felons. And he did so last week, blessing some bent congressmen whod shown early fealty to MAGA, as well as some flunkies whod lied for Der Leader during the federal probe of the Trump-Russia scandal.
But arguably most noteworthy of all was his decree that four murdering war criminals all serving long prison terms shall henceforth be free. Thats our boy, shredding American values to the bitter end.
Remember Blackwater? The mercenary firm that made big money in Iraq, thanks to the Bush administrations unprecedented efforts to outsource the U.S. occupation and entrust war-fighting to profit-motive privateers? The marauding guns for hire who achieved infamy in 2007 by mowing down 14 innocent civilians in a Baghdad square men, women, and children, many with their hands in the air one of the most horrific episodes in Bushs war?
Granted, 2007 feels like ancient history, but bear with me, because the slaughter of those 14 people had international repercussions, staining our global reputation and alienating even more Americans from the war effort. Ultimately, in 2014, a federal jury in Washington convicted four Blackwater mercenaries one for murder, three for voluntarily manslaughter. One was sentenced to life, two drew 15 years apiece, and the fourth went away for 12.
A massacre like that was bound to happen. Blackwater, which had a $750-million contract to guard State Department personnel, already had a bad rep. Karl Horst, a U.S. brigadier general, had already told author Jeremy Scahill, These guys are loose in this country and do stupid stuff. Theres no authority over them.
But finally, seven years after the killings, the feds cracked down. One major player the most prominent person who pushed for justice was Vice President Joe Biden. The four mercenaries naturally became a right-wing cause celebre, and they were nicknamed The Biden Four.
In one memo filed with the federal court, retired U.S. Army colonel David Boslego called the massacre a grossly excessive use of force grossly inappropriate for an entity whose only job was to provide personal protection to somebody in an armored vehicle. (The killings) had a negative effect on our mission. And FBI investigators who visited the scene described it as the My Lai massacre of Iraq, a reference to the infamous massacre of civilians in Vietnam.
After the four mercenaries were sentenced, the federal prosecutor said the trial was America at its best: These Blackwater contractors unleashed powerful sniper fire, machine guns, and grenade launchers on innocent men, women, and children. Today, they were held accountable for that outrageous attack and its devastating consequences for so many Iraqi families. This verdict is a resounding affirmation of the commitment of the American people to the rule of law.
Oh well. We all know what Trump thinks about the rule of law.
Why has Trump further degraded the presidency by freeing those killers? Its easy to connect the dots. Lets use one of Trumps Sharpies.
Blackwater was founded and helmed by a guy named Erik Prince. Prince contributed $250,000 to the MAGA campaign mission in 2016, and had close ties to Steve Bannon. Princes sister is Trump Education Secretary Betsy DeVos. DeVos is a former Michigan chairwoman of the GOP, and the DeVos family has contributed tens of millions to conservative causes.
And oh, I almost forgot: Shortly before Trumps Inauguration, Prince had a back-channel meeting in the Seychelles with a Russian banker close to Vladimir Putin. He was later written up in the Mueller Report, and was accused by the House Intelligence Committee of making manifest and substantial falsehoods that materially impaired the committees investigation of the Trump-Russia 2016 scandal.
There you have it. Justice for 14 dead Iraqi civilians, including two children, was a disposable commodity. Denizens of the Trump swamp took priority over the rule of law as did Trumps abiding desire to screw Joe Biden. What can we possibly say at this point? Congressman Seth Moulton, a former Marine who serves on the House Armed Services Committee, gave it a shot on Twitter:
Those convicted war criminals are disgraces to our country, and they belong in jail. Thank God (Trump) is on the way out. Decent people everywhere should speak up against this, and show the world that Americas values are not what the president is displaying.
One more mess for Joe to mop up.
Dick Polman, a veteran national political columnist based in Philadelphia and a Writer in Residence at the University of Pennsylvania, writes at DickPolman.net.
Follow this link:
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles Maps & Facts - World Atlas - August 24th, 2021
- SEYCHELLES: Covid-19 puts a damper on waste management on the island of Perseverance - AFRIK 21 - February 11th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - RADIO.COM - February 11th, 2021
- Waldorf Astoria and Canopy by Hilton to Debut in the Seychelles - Franchising.com - February 7th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 7th, 2021
- Africa in the news: Nigerian oil, COVID-19, and Uganda updates - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2021
- Tales from the Coffeeshop: A gift for splitting hairs and spinning gestures - Cyprus Mail - February 7th, 2021
- How travelers help to protect the Outer Islands of the Seychelles - CNN - February 4th, 2021
- Air Seychelles would be ahead of schedule on transformation plan if 2020 was a normal year: CEO | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - February 4th, 2021
- KuCoin CEO Reflects on 2020 and Looks to the Future - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Israel and Greece in talks to allow reciprocal visits for vaccinated tourists - Ynetnews - February 4th, 2021
- Vaccinated tourists can now visit the Seychelles without quarantining - Euronews - January 23rd, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know Before Visiting The Amazing Seychelles - TravelAwaits - January 23rd, 2021
- Got the vaccine? Then you can now hit the beach in Seychelles - Time Out - January 23rd, 2021
- Why Romania is a better post-lockdown holiday option than the Seychelles - Telegraph.co.uk - January 23rd, 2021
- Ambassador for United States to the Republic of Seychelles bids Farewell - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- More contributions to the Covid-19 Relief Fund - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- 3 islands in the Seychelles you must see - IOL - December 28th, 2020
- What Happened To Air New Zealands Boeing 767s? - Simple Flying - December 28th, 2020
- Top 10 Nature Images of 2020: Wildflowers, Coastal Scenes, and Ancient Treasures - The Pew Charitable Trusts - December 28th, 2020
- Year in Review: Africa's 2020 elections - Africanews English - December 28th, 2020
- Seychelles, Longtime Home of BitMEX, Is Bending to US Pressure on KYC - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles and San Jose among routes axed by BA - Daily Business - December 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 16th December 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- BitMEX Trading Exchange Earns Criminal and Civil Prosecution for AML Violations - JD Supra - December 21st, 2020
- President meets with Seychellois Community in the UAE - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles Promoted in the First Virtual Gulf Travel Show - FTNnews.com - December 21st, 2020
- Figure of the week: Africas visa openness continues to improve - Brookings Institution - December 21st, 2020
- India needs more than Quad to secure the Indo-Pacific - The Times of India Blog - December 21st, 2020
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Rescue operation fails to find any sign of Bribie Island couple after boat sinks in stormy seas off African coast - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- Coronavirus: Abu Dhabi couple spent 15 weeks in the Seychelles after flights were grounded - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- Ray of light for region's economies - The Southern Times - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020