Two teachers from Abu Dhabi have described becoming stranded in the Seychelles for nearly four months after coronavirus forced an extended holiday on the couple.
Husband and wife Casey James, 33, and Cotie Howard, 32, found themselves trapped on the archipelago after international flights were grounded.
The couple left the UAE in early March for a last-minute luxury holiday intended to take just 11 days.
But as the pandemic struck they had no choice but to stay put, leading to an unexpected, but idyllic, 15 weeks in the tropical paradise.
We were really lucky compared to other couples staying in the Seychelles who paid a fortune to stay four months in a hotel, said Mr James, a Grade Three primary teacher at Raha International School in the UAE capital.
The hardest part was not knowing when we could return or how much it was going to cost us
It is not a cheap place to go, and we only planned 11 days, so thought we could cut costs by staying in guest houses.
The hardest part was not knowing when we could return or how much it was going to cost us.
Mr James, from Canada, and Ms Howard, from the United States, flew out to the Seychelles on March 9.
The holiday promised days of breathtaking strolls along remote sandy beaches followed by cooling drinks as the sun dipped towards the Indian Ocean horizon.
Ten days into their extravagant retreat, however, and the UAE announced it was closing its borders to inbound flights.
Despite the move, the couple were reassured their Air Seychelles flight would take-off as scheduled, and they headed to the airport.
It was only on arriving at Mahes international terminal that their fate was sealed.
Immigration officials said they could fly on elsewhere but not home. The couple decided to stay.
There was a possibility of transiting so we thought about flying back to the US but flights were closing all the time so we decided to stay put, said Mr James.
If we had gone back to the States we would have had an 11-hour time difference so would have had to teach [our UAE classes] in the middle of the night.
A week later we realised we would have to stay there for the foreseeable future.
Mr James revealed he and his wife were able to keep their total spend during the nearly four months down to Dh18,000.
They stayed at a beachside guesthouse at the Farida Apartments in Pointe Au Sel, where the owners charged them a special monthly rate of Dh3,300.
The pair did have to pay Dh3,000 for two laptops to allow them to continue working while away.
But they managed to rent a car for only Dh730 for their entire stay, allowing them to travel around the island.
We just didnt think we would be there for almost four months, said Mr James.
There were three weeks of full lockdown on the island with no one allowed to leave their homes except to buy supplies.
This beautiful beach was right next to us, but we were not allowed to set foot on it.
We ended up doing 15 weeks of online distance learning. At least we were in the same time zone as the UAE, so the only issues were with the Wi-Fi occasionally cutting out.
Mr James said he was able to keep in touch with all the latest travel updates by joining various social media groups for others in similar predicaments.
A cleaner in the Emirates even took in the couples cat, Frank, and after applying to come home they managed to secure approval.
"We know how lucky we were to be able to continue teaching," Mr James said.
His return was approved and while waiting for her application to be approved, his wife decided to fly to Oregon to be with her family.
Although Ms Howard remains in the US, Mr James flew back to the UAE on an Air Seychelles cargo flight on July 4, paying Dh2,350 for his ticket.
It is place we will keep in our hearts, he said. It was a special time but also very strange.
We realised we were lucky to be making a salary while being stuck. Not many people can say they had a work staycation for four months in the Seychelles.
Updated: July 18, 2020 12:22 PM
Originally posted here:
- Seychelles | Culture, History, & People | Britannica - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles - Wikipedia - August 24th, 2021
- Seychelles Maps & Facts - World Atlas - August 24th, 2021
- SEYCHELLES: Covid-19 puts a damper on waste management on the island of Perseverance - AFRIK 21 - February 11th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - RADIO.COM - February 11th, 2021
- Waldorf Astoria and Canopy by Hilton to Debut in the Seychelles - Franchising.com - February 7th, 2021
- Meet the American who is the first Black woman to travel to every country in the world - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - February 7th, 2021
- Africa in the news: Nigerian oil, COVID-19, and Uganda updates - Brookings Institution - February 7th, 2021
- Tales from the Coffeeshop: A gift for splitting hairs and spinning gestures - Cyprus Mail - February 7th, 2021
- How travelers help to protect the Outer Islands of the Seychelles - CNN - February 4th, 2021
- Air Seychelles would be ahead of schedule on transformation plan if 2020 was a normal year: CEO | CAPA - CAPA - Centre for Aviation - February 4th, 2021
- KuCoin CEO Reflects on 2020 and Looks to the Future - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2021
- Israel and Greece in talks to allow reciprocal visits for vaccinated tourists - Ynetnews - February 4th, 2021
- Vaccinated tourists can now visit the Seychelles without quarantining - Euronews - January 23rd, 2021
- Everything You Need To Know Before Visiting The Amazing Seychelles - TravelAwaits - January 23rd, 2021
- Got the vaccine? Then you can now hit the beach in Seychelles - Time Out - January 23rd, 2021
- Why Romania is a better post-lockdown holiday option than the Seychelles - Telegraph.co.uk - January 23rd, 2021
- Ambassador for United States to the Republic of Seychelles bids Farewell - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- More contributions to the Covid-19 Relief Fund - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - January 23rd, 2021
- 3 islands in the Seychelles you must see - IOL - December 28th, 2020
- What Happened To Air New Zealands Boeing 767s? - Simple Flying - December 28th, 2020
- Top 10 Nature Images of 2020: Wildflowers, Coastal Scenes, and Ancient Treasures - The Pew Charitable Trusts - December 28th, 2020
- Year in Review: Africa's 2020 elections - Africanews English - December 28th, 2020
- His View: That's our boy, shredding values to the bitter end - Moscow-Pullman Daily News - December 28th, 2020
- Seychelles, Longtime Home of BitMEX, Is Bending to US Pressure on KYC - Yahoo Finance - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles and San Jose among routes axed by BA - Daily Business - December 21st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - 16th December 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- BitMEX Trading Exchange Earns Criminal and Civil Prosecution for AML Violations - JD Supra - December 21st, 2020
- President meets with Seychellois Community in the UAE - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - December 21st, 2020
- Seychelles Promoted in the First Virtual Gulf Travel Show - FTNnews.com - December 21st, 2020
- Figure of the week: Africas visa openness continues to improve - Brookings Institution - December 21st, 2020
- India needs more than Quad to secure the Indo-Pacific - The Times of India Blog - December 21st, 2020
- Upset in Seychelles presidential election as incumbent loses - The Associated Press - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles is likely to maintain its record of free and fair elections in upcoming polls - The Conversation CA - October 28th, 2020
- Seychelles Travel Advisory Updates - October 19th, 2020
- Trade the US Election 'Game of the Throne' Volatility - FX Empire - October 19th, 2020
- Wedding Bells in the Seychelles Islands Read more Skip - eTurboNews | Trends | Travel News - September 5th, 2020
- President Faure meets with the Red Cross Society of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- President Appoints new Chief Executive Officer of the Seychelles Fishing Authority - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - September 5th, 2020
- Region cautiously reopens its doors - The Southern Times - September 5th, 2020
- FJ Book Club: A haunting debut thriller brimming with excess - Fashion Journal - August 10th, 2020
- President Faure visits Agency for Social Protection - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 10th, 2020
- Seychelles Telecommunications Market Share,Trends, and Growth Opportunities to 2025-Analysis of Seychelles Mobile, Fixed Telephone and Broadband... - August 8th, 2020
- Anantara to debut in the Seychelles with rebrand of iconic Maia Luxury Resort & Spa - Travel Daily News International - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure thanks the Leader of Government Business in the sixth National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- President Faure proclaims the dissolution of the National Assembly - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - August 7th, 2020
- Under the Radar Beaches from the Seychelles to Saint-Tropez - Luxury Travel Magazine - August 4th, 2020
- President Faure attends ceremony to mark the 10th anniversary of the Office of the Auditor General - Office of the President of the Republic of... - August 3rd, 2020
- The economic substance exemption: escaping the claws of the Cayman tax - Lexology - July 31st, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 29 July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 31st, 2020
- Expedition removes 25 tons of waste from remote Aldabra Atoll - UNESCO.org - July 31st, 2020
- Covid-19 Hits Spanish Fishing Fleet in the Seychelles - Euro Weekly News - July 31st, 2020
- Seychelles Is Welcoming Commercial Flights In August, And Here's What You Need To Know - TheTravel - July 31st, 2020
- New guidelines aim to support mangrove restoration in the Western Indian Ocean - UN Environment - July 30th, 2020
- Rescue operation fails to find any sign of Bribie Island couple after boat sinks in stormy seas off African coast - ABC News - July 29th, 2020
- Kangaroo, blue macaws among animals rescued in Assam - The Hindu - July 29th, 2020
- With these rules, Seychelles will reopen to travellers from 1 August - Cond Nast Traveller India - July 28th, 2020
- Interview Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands to Kenya, Somalia and the Seychelles, H.E. Frans Makken - The Netherlands and You - July 28th, 2020
- President Faure receives members of the Seychelles Bible Society - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- President Faure receives delegation from Seventh-Day Adventist Church of Seychelles - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 27th, 2020
- Etihad passengers flying to these nine countries may need Covid-19 tests - The National - July 25th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - Direct Relief - July 24th, 2020
- How, and Where, Covid-19 Is Spreading in Africa - World - ReliefWeb - July 24th, 2020
- Ray of light for region's economies - The Southern Times - July 24th, 2020
- THE 10 BEST Seychelles Luxury Resorts - Jul 2020 (with ... - July 22nd, 2020
- Secrets of One of the Most Private Islands in the Seychelles - Luxury Travel Magazine - July 22nd, 2020
- Cabinet Business - Wednesday 15th July 2020 - News - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles - July 21st, 2020
- Have we gone batty? - The Borneo Post - July 18th, 2020
- Tuna Spanish breathe after a month stranded in the Seychelles by the Covid-19 - Wire News Fax - July 18th, 2020
- Claim that coconut oil is worse for biodiversity than palm oil sparks furious debate - Science Magazine - July 18th, 2020
- A Review of OverBit - A Seychelles-based Crypto Margin Trading Platform in Forex and Metals Using Bitcoin - bitcoinke.io - July 18th, 2020
- How the Seychelles Islands came to have its name - Face2Face Africa - July 18th, 2020
- Commercial flights to be welcomed to Seychelles in August 2020 - Travel Daily News International - July 14th, 2020
- Tourism as an Agent of Recovery in Post-COVID-19 Southern Africa - Future Directions International - July 14th, 2020
- British Family Of Four Relocates To Tiny Island In The Seychelles - Scuba Diver Magazine - June 30th, 2020
- ECOVIEWS: Tortoises of all sizes roam the globe - Gadsden Times - June 30th, 2020
- Which countries are open for summer travel? Here's the list - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Here's how much it costs to buy out an entire luxury hotel during the pandemic - CNBC - June 30th, 2020
- Four Kids and It = one winning family movie - Boston Herald - June 30th, 2020
- USS Carney Concludes Time as FDNF-E Asset with 6th Fleet - SEAPOWER Magazine Online - June 30th, 2020