Keld van Schreven is the Managing Director and Co-Founder of KR1 plc, the London listed cryptocurrency and blockchain investment company.____
Central Banks are excited by Bitcoin's dramatic innovation, its blockchain technology and the potential for Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC). However, they are also cautious as Bitcoin has a reputation as the badlands of financial services, used by drug dealers and money launderers, not upright citizens and certainly not central bankers.
So after the Bitcoin innovation what have been the catalysts for Central Banks to act? One word. Libra. Facebooks Libra caused Central Banks to panic around the world by announcing it would launch its own digital currency. Libra could become the global default crypto with two billion people having instant access to it just by having a Facebook account. Governments around the world threw their arms up in horror. France and India immediately banned it. Libra doubled governments efforts to respond to protect their interests. China reacted to the Libra launch quickly.
Libra has introduced a concept that will impact the traditional cross-border business and payment system, said former Peoples Bank of China (PBoC) Governor Zhou Xiaochuan.
China saw Libra as an American Imperial economic invasion and responded by fast-tracking its own digital currency known as digital currency electronic payment (DCEP) system. In the early days of digital currencies, the PBoC did not outlaw assets such as Bitcoin, but rampant speculation and wild price swings led China to implement a blanket ban on trading and new initial offerings of digital currencies. PBoC created a dedicated institute to explore a CBDC. China is well suited to a CBDC as most payments are now digital through apps operated by Alipay or Tencent.
The prize to get a functioning CBDC in a nation's economy is huge. The Bank of Englands own research suggests a 3% bump to GDP if you run a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC), roughly the same boost to the economy as a big tax cut. The Bank of Englands recent whitepaper states there are plenty of benefits of CBDCs around interest rates, stimulus, and accountability. This is highly compelling.
Just like the Portuguese Escudo, Dutch Gulder, English Pound and U.S. dollar became global reserve currencies in their time, in paper terms, its now the turn of a digital currency to take the crown. This is the reason CBDCs are a hot topic. Whoever wins, wins big therefore justifying their Central Banks move to launch these currencies. While the Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg was up in front of Congress explaining himself and being blocked, the Chinese were quietly rifling through the whitepaper and making plans. This tension between America and China has resulted in a classic superpower slugging match with CBDCs.
Watch the latest reports by Block TV.
Where is the rest of the world? In fact, some of the worlds major central banks are already teaming up to assess potentially developing their own digital currencies. A group has been formed in order to share experience as they assess the potential cases for central bank digital currency in their home jurisdiction'. The body will be made up of the Bank of England, the Bank of Canada, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank (ECB), the Riksbank, and the Swiss National Bank, along with the Bank for International Settlements. Noticeably absent from the group is the Peoples Bank of China and yes you guessed it America. The body forming is a great move. The reality is the group will move even slower than PBoC and Libra and these Central Banks may get left behind, and lose first-mover advantage.
The U.S.s Federal Reserve has so far largely distanced itself from the concept of a CBDC. In December, Treasury Secretary Steven Munchin said he and Fed Chairman Jerome Powell see no need for the U.S. to create a digital currency in the near future. Yet Powell has said the Fed is monitoring the activities of other central banks to identify potential benefits. There is further skepticism from Canada and the Netherlands The essence of the [distributed ledger technology] infrastructure is that no single party should be trusted enough, but dont we just trust a central bank to maintain the integrity of the global ledger? said Harro Boven, policy advisor in the payments policy department of the Dutch central bank. Satoshi Nakamoto, the legendary mysterious inventor of Bitcoin would say not.
In England, the debate around CBDCs intensified last year when the outgoing Bank of England Governor Mark Carney laid out a radical proposal for an overhaul of the global financial system that would eventually replace the dollar as a reserve with a Libra like CBDC currency. Carney felt fully justified to explore the possibilities. In Europe, the ECB policymakers have already discussed the idea of issuing their own CBDC. Christine Lagarde, the ECBs head, has long argued that central banks should consider the merits, which she believes include public goals such as financial inclusion, consumer protection, and payment privacy. In Sweden, they are moving quickly to adopt a CBDC Sveriges Riksbank, the central bank of Sweden, which recently announced a pilot for a digital krona, or e-krona and the main reason is to be ready for a cashless future.
But where does this leave Bitcoin and other non-CBDC cryptocurrencies in relation to several functioning CBDCs? Firstly, its a great endorsement for all of crypto, rubber stamping their benefits, although the paradox is that this endorses decentralization and control away from Central banks. Secondly, fully functioning CBDCs are a tide that will lift all crypto boats, many skeptics will get off the fence and invest time and money into crypto. CBDCs will create a new boom for Decentralised Finance (DeFi) services as these new CBDCs are digital and will interoperate with DeFi services, greatly increasing volumes. Bitcoin and other major cryptocurrencies are decentralized and not owned by a central organization and therefore inherently more trustworthy. Bitcoin was a response to the 2008 banking crisis and no casino bankers operate in Bitcoin.
But the ultimate question is - who would you trust, incorruptible decentralized currencies like Bitcoin, or centrally controlled and potentially co-opted Central Bank Digital Currencies?
See the article here:
- Why Twitter Rumor Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Cashed Out Lowered Cryptocurrency Value - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Moving Coins, Data Breaches, and Magical Authors: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- XRP Loses the Number 3 Spot to Tether (USDT) on Coinmarketcap - Ethereum World News - May 24th, 2020
- 5 Key Reasons Bitcoin Price Fell From $9,800 to $9,200 Overnight - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- The $90 Million Bitcoin Pizza Story Has an Unexpected Silver Lining | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 24th, 2020
- Stablecoins Might be The Key to Unlocking the Transactional Value of Cryptocurrencies - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- New theory: Adam Back denies being the creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto - Crypto News Flash - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving Q&A: what it's all about and what it means for the cryptocurrency - The Conversation US - May 19th, 2020
- DeFi can take Ethereum higher than 2017 bull run - Invezz - May 19th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the digital equivalent of gold? - Rask Media - May 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving is imminent heres why it happens every 4 years - The Next Web - May 9th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- Secure and Anonymize Your Bitcoin Transactions With MyCryptoMixer, The Best Bitcoin Mixer of 2020 - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving: What Traders Need to Know - City Index - May 9th, 2020
- Blockstream CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Creator Satoshi Nakamoto May Have Written This Newly Discovered Post - The Daily Hodl - April 26th, 2020
- The Next Bitcoin Halving: To Halve and to Hold? - Cointelegraph - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Bitcoins Stock-to-Flow? - Crypto Briefing - April 26th, 2020
- Users found a publication from 1999 that Satoshi Nakamoto could write - Sunriseread - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Timeline: The Evolution of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Technologies - BlockPublisher - March 31st, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - March 31st, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Nervos Network Blockchain Believes Trust is Incredibly Valuable But Has Boundaries - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 31st, 2020
- Blockchain Nation. The currency that is infiltrating the data centre sector - Data Economy - March 31st, 2020
- Peter Vessenes in the Focus of Cointelegraph China - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Binance will launch a debit card for Bitcoin and BNB payments - Crypto News Flash - March 31st, 2020
- The Good Weekend Quiz: March 28 - The Age - March 31st, 2020
- 7 movies of Bitcoin to see in quarantine - Cryptocurrency Market - March 31st, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - Bitcoin Wiki - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - investopedia.com - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? A Look at the Candidates - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto: 9 Interesting Facts You Need To Know - March 16th, 2020
- Three People Who Were Supposedly Bitcoin Founder Satoshi ... - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 16th, 2020
- The History and Symbolism Behind Bitcoin's Logo - Bitcoin Magazine - March 16th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Forced to 'Work from Home' due to Covid-19? Crypto Can Help - Bitcoinist - March 16th, 2020
- Ethereum Betting Now Launched By Cloudbet - TimesOfCasino - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? - The CryptoCation - March 5th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Unresolved - March 5th, 2020
- Will the identity of bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto be ... - March 5th, 2020
- Craig Wright's Notorious Satoshi Nakamoto Saga Continues ... - March 5th, 2020
- Hyperbitcoinization | Satoshi Nakamoto Institute - March 5th, 2020
- CoinGeek Conference Rolls On To New York in October 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Bitcoin Price Forecast - The Merkle Hash - March 5th, 2020
- What could your $100 investment in Bitcoin fetch you in 2140? - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - March 5th, 2020
- How Millennials Will Inherit Trillions And Buy Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin braced for brutal weekend as fear sets in - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- The Mystery of Warren Buffett's Missing Crypto is Solved - Cointelegraph - February 29th, 2020
- CoinGeek London: When Bitcoin SV came of age - CoinGeek - February 29th, 2020
- Crypto currency goes showbiz: Bitcoin makes guest appearance on The Simpsons - Express - February 29th, 2020
- Wielding the Tools of Liberty: Exploring Wendy McElroy's Latest Book 'The Satoshi Revolution' - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Changpeng Zhao Launches Attack on Craig Wright - Live Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving Will Drop Inflation Rate Lower Than Central Banks' 2% Target Reference - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Spend BTC, Ethereum and Ripple (XRP) with the Satoshi Nakamoto card - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin brutally rejected from $10,000 to form lower high - Coin Rivet - February 24th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Net Worth: Bitcoin Founder Worth Around $10 Billion With 1 Million BTC - International Business Times - February 24th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Still Used in Terror Financing? - Coin Idol - February 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto: An invention of the CIA? - Cryptocurrency Market - February 24th, 2020
- Blockchain for the Environment: It Is Real and It Is Here - Cointelegraph - February 24th, 2020
- Trace Mayer Explains the Importance of Proof of Keys - Live Bitcoin News - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin millionaires of today: Who owns how much BTC? - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Kevin Kelly Names Bitcoin And Blockchain Fifth Innovation Revolution. - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got New Emoji to 'Spread Awareness', New Goal Emerged - Cryptonews - February 4th, 2020
- Expert Josip Heit Shares His Thoughts On Why Bitcoin Is Seen As Digital... - Forex Crunch - February 4th, 2020
- BSVs Upcoming Upgrade Will Increase The Block Size From 2G To Infinite - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- A Brief History of Bitcoin and Online Casinos - CoinCodex - February 4th, 2020
- Joe Rogan gives the thumbs up to the Bitcoiners' meat diet - Decrypt - February 4th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - February 4th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Net Worth: How Rich Is Satoshi Now? [LIVE] - January 19th, 2020
- The Creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto, Is Most Likely This Guy - January 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin News - Who is Satoshi Nakamoto - always up to date - January 19th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Calls Bitcoin The Embodiment Of Value Creation - The Coin Republic - January 19th, 2020
- First Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Was Made 11 Years Ago by Satoshi. What Was Its Purpose? - U.Today - January 19th, 2020
- Visionary Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto to Reveal Identity - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 19th, 2020
- Listicle: 5 Bitcoin Lightning Games you need to know - Sahiwal Tv - January 19th, 2020