Keld van Schreven is the Managing Director and Co-Founder of KR1 plc, the London listed cryptocurrency and blockchain investment company.____
Central Banks are excited by Bitcoin's dramatic innovation, its blockchain technology and the potential for Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDC). However, they are also cautious as Bitcoin has a reputation as the badlands of financial services, used by drug dealers and money launderers, not upright citizens and certainly not central bankers.
So after the Bitcoin innovation what have been the catalysts for Central Banks to act? One word. Libra. Facebooks Libra caused Central Banks to panic around the world by announcing it would launch its own digital currency. Libra could become the global default crypto with two billion people having instant access to it just by having a Facebook account. Governments around the world threw their arms up in horror. France and India immediately banned it. Libra doubled governments efforts to respond to protect their interests. China reacted to the Libra launch quickly.
Libra has introduced a concept that will impact the traditional cross-border business and payment system, said former Peoples Bank of China (PBoC) Governor Zhou Xiaochuan.
China saw Libra as an American Imperial economic invasion and responded by fast-tracking its own digital currency known as digital currency electronic payment (DCEP) system. In the early days of digital currencies, the PBoC did not outlaw assets such as Bitcoin, but rampant speculation and wild price swings led China to implement a blanket ban on trading and new initial offerings of digital currencies. PBoC created a dedicated institute to explore a CBDC. China is well suited to a CBDC as most payments are now digital through apps operated by Alipay or Tencent.
The prize to get a functioning CBDC in a nation's economy is huge. The Bank of Englands own research suggests a 3% bump to GDP if you run a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC), roughly the same boost to the economy as a big tax cut. The Bank of Englands recent whitepaper states there are plenty of benefits of CBDCs around interest rates, stimulus, and accountability. This is highly compelling.
Just like the Portuguese Escudo, Dutch Gulder, English Pound and U.S. dollar became global reserve currencies in their time, in paper terms, its now the turn of a digital currency to take the crown. This is the reason CBDCs are a hot topic. Whoever wins, wins big therefore justifying their Central Banks move to launch these currencies. While the Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg was up in front of Congress explaining himself and being blocked, the Chinese were quietly rifling through the whitepaper and making plans. This tension between America and China has resulted in a classic superpower slugging match with CBDCs.
Watch the latest reports by Block TV.
Where is the rest of the world? In fact, some of the worlds major central banks are already teaming up to assess potentially developing their own digital currencies. A group has been formed in order to share experience as they assess the potential cases for central bank digital currency in their home jurisdiction'. The body will be made up of the Bank of England, the Bank of Canada, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank (ECB), the Riksbank, and the Swiss National Bank, along with the Bank for International Settlements. Noticeably absent from the group is the Peoples Bank of China and yes you guessed it America. The body forming is a great move. The reality is the group will move even slower than PBoC and Libra and these Central Banks may get left behind, and lose first-mover advantage.
The U.S.s Federal Reserve has so far largely distanced itself from the concept of a CBDC. In December, Treasury Secretary Steven Munchin said he and Fed Chairman Jerome Powell see no need for the U.S. to create a digital currency in the near future. Yet Powell has said the Fed is monitoring the activities of other central banks to identify potential benefits. There is further skepticism from Canada and the Netherlands The essence of the [distributed ledger technology] infrastructure is that no single party should be trusted enough, but dont we just trust a central bank to maintain the integrity of the global ledger? said Harro Boven, policy advisor in the payments policy department of the Dutch central bank. Satoshi Nakamoto, the legendary mysterious inventor of Bitcoin would say not.
In England, the debate around CBDCs intensified last year when the outgoing Bank of England Governor Mark Carney laid out a radical proposal for an overhaul of the global financial system that would eventually replace the dollar as a reserve with a Libra like CBDC currency. Carney felt fully justified to explore the possibilities. In Europe, the ECB policymakers have already discussed the idea of issuing their own CBDC. Christine Lagarde, the ECBs head, has long argued that central banks should consider the merits, which she believes include public goals such as financial inclusion, consumer protection, and payment privacy. In Sweden, they are moving quickly to adopt a CBDC Sveriges Riksbank, the central bank of Sweden, which recently announced a pilot for a digital krona, or e-krona and the main reason is to be ready for a cashless future.
But where does this leave Bitcoin and other non-CBDC cryptocurrencies in relation to several functioning CBDCs? Firstly, its a great endorsement for all of crypto, rubber stamping their benefits, although the paradox is that this endorses decentralization and control away from Central banks. Secondly, fully functioning CBDCs are a tide that will lift all crypto boats, many skeptics will get off the fence and invest time and money into crypto. CBDCs will create a new boom for Decentralised Finance (DeFi) services as these new CBDCs are digital and will interoperate with DeFi services, greatly increasing volumes. Bitcoin and other major cryptocurrencies are decentralized and not owned by a central organization and therefore inherently more trustworthy. Bitcoin was a response to the 2008 banking crisis and no casino bankers operate in Bitcoin.
But the ultimate question is - who would you trust, incorruptible decentralized currencies like Bitcoin, or centrally controlled and potentially co-opted Central Bank Digital Currencies?
See the article here:
- TECH TALK:The next step in the evolution of finance - The Jerusalem Post - September 18th, 2020
- Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto Would Be Impressed With DeFi: Crypto Daily - The Daily Hodl - September 10th, 2020
- Liz Louw: Writing the story of Bitcoin - CoinGeek - September 10th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Yahoo Finance - September 10th, 2020
- Kering Teams Up With Pyer Moss Designer on New Creative Platform WWD - WWD - September 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin Mining Market 2019 Break Down by Top Companies, Countries, Applications, Challenges, Opportunities and Forecast 2026 BTC.com, Antpool,Slush... - September 2nd, 2020
- The Rise of DeFi, Potential and Risks - FinSMEs - September 2nd, 2020
- Lost Bitcoin: 3.7 million Bitcoin are probably gone forever - Decrypt - August 10th, 2020
- The Nitty Gritty of Bitcoin Trading | Invision Game Community - Invision Game Community - August 10th, 2020
- Crypto Twitter hackers busted after currency sent to verified accounts - CalvinAyre.com - August 10th, 2020
- George Gilder talks Bitcoin and 'Who is Satoshi Nakamoto' on London Real TV - CoinGeek - August 10th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - August 10th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) Is Continuation of Satoshis Vision, Says Founder Vitalik Buterin - CryptoComes - August 9th, 2020
- TAAL Files Second Patent for Layer 1 Token Technology to Enable Smart Contracts Built on Bitcoin SV and in Direct Competition to Ethereum ERC-20... - August 8th, 2020
- Who Is Satoshi Nakamoto? An Introduction to Bitcoin's ... - August 7th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? Examining Nine Potential ... - August 7th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - Bitcoin Wiki - August 7th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto. Satoshi Nakamoto is an amalgamation of ... - August 7th, 2020
- Recalled the famous word of Satoshi Nakamoto - Somag News - August 3rd, 2020
- The Impact of Inflation on Crypto Adoption - Finance Magnates - August 3rd, 2020
- $39M of Bitcoin Stolen in 2016 Bitfinex Hack Is on the Move - Cointelegraph - August 3rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Association hires Patrick Prinz as Europe & Operations Manager to further advance Bitcoin SV - PRNewswire - August 2nd, 2020
- Who Is Satoshi Nakamoto: 5 Facts Probably You Didn't Know! - July 31st, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? A Look at the Candidates - July 31st, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto mined over 1.1 million BTC, report ... - July 31st, 2020
- How Satoshi Nakamoto may have kept his identity secret ... - July 31st, 2020
- What are Bitcoins: Scam or real London Business News - London Loves Business - July 31st, 2020
- Bitcoin is money, says DC courtbut of course it is - CoinGeek - July 30th, 2020
- New report reveals the truth about how much BTC Satoshi mined - Invezz - July 30th, 2020
- Velas (VLX) on Samsung, Toshiba, Nakamichi, and Motorola to be Satoshi Nakamoto on Blockchain - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - July 29th, 2020
- Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Believed To Have $10.9 ... - July 26th, 2020
- Researcher finds more of Satoshi Nakamoto's lost Bitcoin ... - July 26th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - July 26th, 2020
- Max Keiser's attacks on Bitcoin reveal BTC proponents see it as a threat - CoinGeek - July 26th, 2020
- Bitcoins price hasnt been this stable since 2018. Who's worried? - Decrypt - July 26th, 2020
- Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Mined $10.9 Billion Worth ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Mined More Than 1 Million Bitcoin - Report - July 23rd, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto owns a Bitcoin worth $ 10.9 billion ... - July 23rd, 2020
- Americans Are Googling Bitcoin in the Middle of the Night - Cointelegraph - July 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin (BTC) and Ethereum (ETH) Accumulated Value to Reach $1.3 billion, an Expert Says... - TheTradable - July 22nd, 2020
- Blockchain Bites: Chinas BSN Integrations and Satoshis Newfound Wealth - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Congress To Hold Hearing On Remote Voting Technology, Blockchain Not Invited - Forbes - July 21st, 2020
- Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Believed To Have $10.9 Billion Worth Of BTC - International Business Times - July 21st, 2020
- The People Of Blockchain: Who Is Satoshi Nakamoto? - July 19th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Could Be Rhodesia Born Criminal ... - July 19th, 2020
- New theory claims Adam Back is Satoshi Nakamoto - Decrypt - July 19th, 2020
- 5 Lessons from the Life of Satoshi Nakamoto - The man ... - July 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Down $0.01 On 4 Hour Chart, 5 Day Down Streak Broken; Price Base in Formation Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - July 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Up $0.32 On 4 Hour Chart, Underperforms All Top Cryptos to Start the Day; Price Base in Formation Over Past 30 Days - CFDTrading - July 18th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Other Than Bitcoin That You Can Use To Bet On Sports - NY Sports Day - July 17th, 2020
- The Rise of the Use of Cryptocurrencies in Online iGaming - Siliconindia.com - July 17th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Inspiration Gives Advice On Bitcoins Next Move - Forbes - July 13th, 2020
- There Are Over 13K Bitcoin Addresses Worth $1M - Cointelegraph - July 13th, 2020
- Bitcoin Rally or Altcoin extinction? Top Trader sees gloomy future for ETH, XRP and Co. - Born2Invest - July 12th, 2020
- 60% of Bitcoin supply held as digital gold by investors - Crypto News Flash - June 21st, 2020
- How many Bitcoin billionaires are there? - Decrypt - June 21st, 2020
- Currency wars: The rise of bitcoin - Opinion - Jakarta Post - June 21st, 2020
- The Difference Between Blockchain and Bitcoin - UKTN - June 21st, 2020
- BSV Dukes It Out with Binance - Live Bitcoin News - June 21st, 2020
- Binance becomes the biggest miner of a coin it delisted last year - Invezz - June 21st, 2020
- BTC-Tether relationship: How long can it last? - CoinGeek - June 21st, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - Coindesk - June 9th, 2020
- Cryptoassets and Litigation - Lexology - June 9th, 2020
- 5 Crypto Executive Predictions On Where The Economy Is Headed - Yahoo Sport UK - June 9th, 2020
- Craig Wright's appeal over Norway's jurisdiction dismissed in the defamation suit against Hodlonaut - CoinJournal - June 9th, 2020
- Bitcoin Lies Continue as Craig Wright Testifies Using His iPhone Before It Was Released In 2007 - CryptoPotato - June 9th, 2020
- 5 Crypto Executive Predictions On Where The Economy Is Headed - Yahoo Finance - June 9th, 2020
- Nuts and bolts: What is blockchain and how does it work? - The New Times - June 9th, 2020
- The Many Facts Pointing to Adam Back Being Satoshi | Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 29th, 2020
- Is It Possible To Patent Bitcoin? - Intellectual Property - Poland - Mondaq News Alerts - May 29th, 2020
- NGRAVE Hard Wallet Hits 450% of Crowdfunding Goal Within Two Days - Cointelegraph - May 29th, 2020
- Learn different types of cryptocurrencies and how to earn money | London Business News - London Loves Business - May 29th, 2020
- Here's why digital payments app Anypay does not recommend using BTC - CoinGeek - May 29th, 2020
- Why Twitter Rumor Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Cashed Out Lowered Cryptocurrency Value - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Moving Coins, Data Breaches, and Magical Authors: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- XRP Loses the Number 3 Spot to Tether (USDT) on Coinmarketcap - Ethereum World News - May 24th, 2020
- 5 Key Reasons Bitcoin Price Fell From $9,800 to $9,200 Overnight - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- The $90 Million Bitcoin Pizza Story Has an Unexpected Silver Lining | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 24th, 2020
- Stablecoins Might be The Key to Unlocking the Transactional Value of Cryptocurrencies - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020