While it might surprise some to learn that crypto technology has been evolving since the early 90s, what shouldnt come as a shock is just how far the technology has come- and how far it hopes to go.
Few buzzwords are as powerful as blockchain and crypto these days. Each creating a thought association with novel technological practice. Even though these terms arent actually new. Crypto technologies have been available for nearly two decades, but only recently have created adaptable, necessary, and accessible applications for the everyday person.
So much so that trading, purchasing, and using the coin have become commonplace in many peoples lives. Even new users and laypeople can enjoy the thrill of an exchange platform, like for example https://bitvavo.com/en with little to know expert knowledge on the subject. This timeline of the evolution of bitcoin and its associated technologies lets us know just how far weve come, so we can all look forward to just how far we can go.
Blockchain has been evolving since Stuart Hager and Scott Stornetta began work on the first blockchain ever. However, 2013 is a notable moment in the history of blockchain, as this is when alternate cryptocurrencies began to evolve and the world received a new term, hard fork.
A hard fork is a divergence from the original functionality of any given blockchain network or cryptocurrency protocol. This divergence ends one protocol splitting, creating a new coin, token, or network along with it. 2013 marked the first known hard fork when Vitalik Buterin released the Ethereum white paper.
In 2009, the father(s) of bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto released a white paper explaining how the blockchain technology that they had developed could provide the structure to create a fully decentralized currency.
Little is known about Nakamoto. Some believe that it is one man or woman, others are sure that it is a group of people. Whoever Nakamoto is, what was conceptualized by them in 2008, was soon to grow into one of the biggest names in tradable assets, digital trust, and decentralized power structures.
This is bitcoin. Bitcoin changed the way we think, not only about currency and assets themselves but about data accumulation and dissemination.
2013 is also an important year for bitcoin, as in February of that year, the main payment processor for bitcoin at the time reported selling $1 million worth of bitcoin in a single month. Through that year, the bitcoin marketplace surpassed $1 billion, showing the marketplaces flair for value volatility and returns.
In the United States, regulating bodies began to sit up and take notice of the technology. Instituting regulations on traders and shutting down the infamous Silk Road empire. Effectively showing the public that bitcoin was here to stay.
When Ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin saw the potential of blockchain, he knew he had to take it further. Ethereum became a full-blown, decentralized network. Enabling users to undertake smart contracts and begin the creation of decentralized applications (dApps).
Smart contracts are like any other contract, only using blockchain technologies instead of arbiters and intermediaries. These contracts are capable of adding in something that original blockchain technology couldnt offer- contingencies.
Smart contracts work with if-then protocols, meaning that the next step in the contract cannot begin until the previous request has been met satisfactorily. Normally, we use a person to guarantee that each benchmark is met, which doesnt always work the way it should. With smart contracts, these benchmarks are non-negotiable and if theyre not carried out as planned, the contract will cancel.
2017 saw the development of yet another hard fork that would change the world of crypto. EOS.io is unveiled as a new protocol within the blockchain that would allow for the further deployment of dApps.
This open-source network aims to encourage users to create their own applications and smart contracts sans-centralization. Which was a massive game-changer in 2017. The continued development of dApp friendly platforms meant that more people had improved access to develop the dApps that they needed most- and use dApps that had already been created by others.
Keep in mind that this is a far cry from an exhaustive list of all the bright points that sparkle in blockchain history. There have been a number of innovations, resulting in an exponentially amount of new technology- designed to solve the problems that plague us most.
The key to the underlying usefulness of crypto and blockchain technologies is that these systems boost trust, reliability, security, and self-sufficiency. All by removing the centralization that far too often becomes corrupted in common day society.
So where will crypto go in the future? Well, the possibilities truly are limitless, so that makes it incredibly hard to say. But, surely, it will continue to evolve exactly as we need it to.
Read this article:
- Why Twitter Rumor Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Cashed Out Lowered Cryptocurrency Value - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Moving Coins, Data Breaches, and Magical Authors: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- XRP Loses the Number 3 Spot to Tether (USDT) on Coinmarketcap - Ethereum World News - May 24th, 2020
- 5 Key Reasons Bitcoin Price Fell From $9,800 to $9,200 Overnight - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- The $90 Million Bitcoin Pizza Story Has an Unexpected Silver Lining | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 24th, 2020
- Stablecoins Might be The Key to Unlocking the Transactional Value of Cryptocurrencies - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- New theory: Adam Back denies being the creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto - Crypto News Flash - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving Q&A: what it's all about and what it means for the cryptocurrency - The Conversation US - May 19th, 2020
- DeFi can take Ethereum higher than 2017 bull run - Invezz - May 19th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the digital equivalent of gold? - Rask Media - May 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving is imminent heres why it happens every 4 years - The Next Web - May 9th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- Secure and Anonymize Your Bitcoin Transactions With MyCryptoMixer, The Best Bitcoin Mixer of 2020 - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving: What Traders Need to Know - City Index - May 9th, 2020
- Blockstream CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Creator Satoshi Nakamoto May Have Written This Newly Discovered Post - The Daily Hodl - April 26th, 2020
- The Next Bitcoin Halving: To Halve and to Hold? - Cointelegraph - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Bitcoins Stock-to-Flow? - Crypto Briefing - April 26th, 2020
- Users found a publication from 1999 that Satoshi Nakamoto could write - Sunriseread - April 26th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - March 31st, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Nervos Network Blockchain Believes Trust is Incredibly Valuable But Has Boundaries - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 31st, 2020
- Blockchain Nation. The currency that is infiltrating the data centre sector - Data Economy - March 31st, 2020
- Peter Vessenes in the Focus of Cointelegraph China - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Binance will launch a debit card for Bitcoin and BNB payments - Crypto News Flash - March 31st, 2020
- The Good Weekend Quiz: March 28 - The Age - March 31st, 2020
- 7 movies of Bitcoin to see in quarantine - Cryptocurrency Market - March 31st, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - Bitcoin Wiki - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - investopedia.com - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? A Look at the Candidates - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto: 9 Interesting Facts You Need To Know - March 16th, 2020
- Three People Who Were Supposedly Bitcoin Founder Satoshi ... - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin Is Back In Free Fall And Dropping FastHeres Why - Forbes - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 16th, 2020
- The History and Symbolism Behind Bitcoin's Logo - Bitcoin Magazine - March 16th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Forced to 'Work from Home' due to Covid-19? Crypto Can Help - Bitcoinist - March 16th, 2020
- The Race Is On To Become the World's Digital Reserve Currency. Who Will Win? - Cryptonews - March 16th, 2020
- Ethereum Betting Now Launched By Cloudbet - TimesOfCasino - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? - The CryptoCation - March 5th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Unresolved - March 5th, 2020
- Will the identity of bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto be ... - March 5th, 2020
- Craig Wright's Notorious Satoshi Nakamoto Saga Continues ... - March 5th, 2020
- Hyperbitcoinization | Satoshi Nakamoto Institute - March 5th, 2020
- CoinGeek Conference Rolls On To New York in October 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Bitcoin Price Forecast - The Merkle Hash - March 5th, 2020
- What could your $100 investment in Bitcoin fetch you in 2140? - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - March 5th, 2020
- How Millennials Will Inherit Trillions And Buy Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin braced for brutal weekend as fear sets in - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- The Mystery of Warren Buffett's Missing Crypto is Solved - Cointelegraph - February 29th, 2020
- CoinGeek London: When Bitcoin SV came of age - CoinGeek - February 29th, 2020
- Crypto currency goes showbiz: Bitcoin makes guest appearance on The Simpsons - Express - February 29th, 2020
- Wielding the Tools of Liberty: Exploring Wendy McElroy's Latest Book 'The Satoshi Revolution' - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Changpeng Zhao Launches Attack on Craig Wright - Live Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving Will Drop Inflation Rate Lower Than Central Banks' 2% Target Reference - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Spend BTC, Ethereum and Ripple (XRP) with the Satoshi Nakamoto card - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin brutally rejected from $10,000 to form lower high - Coin Rivet - February 24th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Net Worth: Bitcoin Founder Worth Around $10 Billion With 1 Million BTC - International Business Times - February 24th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Still Used in Terror Financing? - Coin Idol - February 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto: An invention of the CIA? - Cryptocurrency Market - February 24th, 2020
- Blockchain for the Environment: It Is Real and It Is Here - Cointelegraph - February 24th, 2020
- Trace Mayer Explains the Importance of Proof of Keys - Live Bitcoin News - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin millionaires of today: Who owns how much BTC? - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Kevin Kelly Names Bitcoin And Blockchain Fifth Innovation Revolution. - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got New Emoji to 'Spread Awareness', New Goal Emerged - Cryptonews - February 4th, 2020
- Expert Josip Heit Shares His Thoughts On Why Bitcoin Is Seen As Digital... - Forex Crunch - February 4th, 2020
- BSVs Upcoming Upgrade Will Increase The Block Size From 2G To Infinite - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- A Brief History of Bitcoin and Online Casinos - CoinCodex - February 4th, 2020
- Joe Rogan gives the thumbs up to the Bitcoiners' meat diet - Decrypt - February 4th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - February 4th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Net Worth: How Rich Is Satoshi Now? [LIVE] - January 19th, 2020
- The Creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto, Is Most Likely This Guy - January 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin News - Who is Satoshi Nakamoto - always up to date - January 19th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Calls Bitcoin The Embodiment Of Value Creation - The Coin Republic - January 19th, 2020
- First Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Was Made 11 Years Ago by Satoshi. What Was Its Purpose? - U.Today - January 19th, 2020
- Visionary Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto to Reveal Identity - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 19th, 2020
- Listicle: 5 Bitcoin Lightning Games you need to know - Sahiwal Tv - January 19th, 2020