Bitcoin has again begun moving lower, following broader financial markets down as investors count the cost of the spreading coronavirus.
The bitcoin price, which had found a temporary floor of just over $5,000 per bitcoin late last week, sunk to lows of $4,787 on the Luxembourg-based Bitstamp exchange early this morning.
Bitcoin's latest fall comes as the U.S. Federal Reserve, working with the U.K., Japan, the eurozone, Canada, and Switzerland, tried to shore up financial markets with massive stimulusbut many feel the central banks haven't gone far enough and some have warned the bitcoin price could crash even further.
Bitcoin prices had stabilized over the weekend but have now begun sliding again.
The bitcoin price surged higher when the Fed yesterday announced it would cut interest rates to a target range of 0% to 0.25% and said it would begin quantitative easing to pump $700 billion worth of cash directly into the economy.
Bitcoin briefly jumped to almost $6,000 per bitcoin before falling back almost immediatelylosing almost 10% over the last 24-hour trading period.
Elsewhere on crypto markets, other major digital tokens fell alongside bitcoin with the likes of ethereum, Ripple's XRP, litecoin and bitcoin cash all losing between 5% and 12% over the same period.
"Crypto-asset markets again seem to be mirroring the actions of the traditional markets," said Simon Peters, analyst and bitcoin expert at brokerage eToro.
"However, fear is arguably a more dominant emotion than greed at the moment, because even with this stimulus, investors are still very worried about global economies grinding to a halt due to COVID-19."
U.S. equity futures and global stocks tumbled after the Fed made its historic move, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 futures each dropping to their out-of-hours trading limits of about 5% in out-of-hours trading.
"There can be no denying the Feds commitment to action but its dramatic move will initially stoke further debate as to whether the monetary medicine will work, on the economy or markets or both," said Russ Mould, investment director at stock broker AJ Bell.
Many senior figures in the bitcoin and cryptocurrency community have argued the Fed's bond-buying and interest rate cuts highlight bitcoin's superiority to traditional markets.
"The Fed just cut rates to zero and entered into QE again. Bitcoin was built for this moment," said Dan Held, U.S.-based bitcoin and crypto exchange Kraken's head of businesses development, via Twitter.
"Bitcoin is a hedge to this," cofounder of the U.S.-based Gemini bitcoin and crypto exchange, Tyler Winklevoss, said via Twitter.
The bitcoin price failed to be supported by the latest central bank measures to prop up the economy. ... [+]
"Bitcoin doesnt have a 'limit down' or 'circuit breakers' because it is a real market with a real clearing price," bitcoin and cryptocurrency expert and cofounder of the Satoshi Nakamoto Institute, Pierre Rochard, tweeted.
"Stocks and bonds are not real markets, they are Potemkin villages, their prices are highly manipulated and political."
- Why Twitter Rumor Bitcoin Founder Satoshi Nakamoto Cashed Out Lowered Cryptocurrency Value - Screen Rant - May 24th, 2020
- The Shadow of Satoshi's Ghost: Why Bitcoin Mythology Matters - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - May 24th, 2020
- Moving Coins, Data Breaches, and Magical Authors: Bad Crypto News of the Week - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- XRP Loses the Number 3 Spot to Tether (USDT) on Coinmarketcap - Ethereum World News - May 24th, 2020
- 5 Key Reasons Bitcoin Price Fell From $9,800 to $9,200 Overnight - Cointelegraph - May 24th, 2020
- The $90 Million Bitcoin Pizza Story Has an Unexpected Silver Lining | NewsBTC - newsBTC - May 24th, 2020
- Stablecoins Might be The Key to Unlocking the Transactional Value of Cryptocurrencies - Yahoo Finance - May 19th, 2020
- New theory: Adam Back denies being the creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto - Crypto News Flash - May 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving Q&A: what it's all about and what it means for the cryptocurrency - The Conversation US - May 19th, 2020
- DeFi can take Ethereum higher than 2017 bull run - Invezz - May 19th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin the digital equivalent of gold? - Rask Media - May 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving is imminent heres why it happens every 4 years - The Next Web - May 9th, 2020
- The CoinDesk 50 - CoinDesk - May 9th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- Secure and Anonymize Your Bitcoin Transactions With MyCryptoMixer, The Best Bitcoin Mixer of 2020 - AMBCrypto English - May 9th, 2020
- The Bitcoin Halving: What Traders Need to Know - City Index - May 9th, 2020
- Blockstream CEO: Bitcoin (BTC) Creator Satoshi Nakamoto May Have Written This Newly Discovered Post - The Daily Hodl - April 26th, 2020
- The Next Bitcoin Halving: To Halve and to Hold? - Cointelegraph - April 26th, 2020
- What Is Bitcoins Stock-to-Flow? - Crypto Briefing - April 26th, 2020
- Users found a publication from 1999 that Satoshi Nakamoto could write - Sunriseread - April 26th, 2020
- Crypto Timeline: The Evolution of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency Technologies - BlockPublisher - March 31st, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Coin Rivet - March 31st, 2020
- Just Like Bitcoin Before It, Cardano Is Banned From Wikipedia - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Nervos Network Blockchain Believes Trust is Incredibly Valuable But Has Boundaries - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 31st, 2020
- Blockchain Nation. The currency that is infiltrating the data centre sector - Data Economy - March 31st, 2020
- Peter Vessenes in the Focus of Cointelegraph China - Cointelegraph - March 31st, 2020
- Binance will launch a debit card for Bitcoin and BNB payments - Crypto News Flash - March 31st, 2020
- The Good Weekend Quiz: March 28 - The Age - March 31st, 2020
- 7 movies of Bitcoin to see in quarantine - Cryptocurrency Market - March 31st, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - Bitcoin Wiki - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto - investopedia.com - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? A Look at the Candidates - March 16th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto: 9 Interesting Facts You Need To Know - March 16th, 2020
- Three People Who Were Supposedly Bitcoin Founder Satoshi ... - March 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin can still be a safe haven, experts say - Decrypt - March 16th, 2020
- The History and Symbolism Behind Bitcoin's Logo - Bitcoin Magazine - March 16th, 2020
- Latest Bitcoin price and analysis (BTC to USD) - Yahoo Finance - March 16th, 2020
- Forced to 'Work from Home' due to Covid-19? Crypto Can Help - Bitcoinist - March 16th, 2020
- The Race Is On To Become the World's Digital Reserve Currency. Who Will Win? - Cryptonews - March 16th, 2020
- Ethereum Betting Now Launched By Cloudbet - TimesOfCasino - March 16th, 2020
- Who is Satoshi Nakamoto? - The CryptoCation - March 5th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Unresolved - March 5th, 2020
- Will the identity of bitcoin creator Satoshi Nakamoto be ... - March 5th, 2020
- Craig Wright's Notorious Satoshi Nakamoto Saga Continues ... - March 5th, 2020
- Hyperbitcoinization | Satoshi Nakamoto Institute - March 5th, 2020
- CoinGeek Conference Rolls On To New York in October 2020 - Yahoo Finance - March 5th, 2020
- A Comprehensive Guide to Bitcoin Price Forecast - The Merkle Hash - March 5th, 2020
- What could your $100 investment in Bitcoin fetch you in 2140? - Finance and Funding - Altcoin Buzz - March 5th, 2020
- How Millennials Will Inherit Trillions And Buy Bitcoin - Bitcoinist - March 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin braced for brutal weekend as fear sets in - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- The Mystery of Warren Buffett's Missing Crypto is Solved - Cointelegraph - February 29th, 2020
- CoinGeek London: When Bitcoin SV came of age - CoinGeek - February 29th, 2020
- Crypto currency goes showbiz: Bitcoin makes guest appearance on The Simpsons - Express - February 29th, 2020
- Wielding the Tools of Liberty: Exploring Wendy McElroy's Latest Book 'The Satoshi Revolution' - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Changpeng Zhao Launches Attack on Craig Wright - Live Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Bitcoin Halving Will Drop Inflation Rate Lower Than Central Banks' 2% Target Reference - Bitcoin News - February 28th, 2020
- Spend BTC, Ethereum and Ripple (XRP) with the Satoshi Nakamoto card - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin brutally rejected from $10,000 to form lower high - Coin Rivet - February 24th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Net Worth: Bitcoin Founder Worth Around $10 Billion With 1 Million BTC - International Business Times - February 24th, 2020
- Is Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Still Used in Terror Financing? - Coin Idol - February 24th, 2020
- The U.S. Is Very Worried About BitcoinAnd Its Finally Doing Something About It - Forbes - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin founder Satoshi Nakamoto: An invention of the CIA? - Cryptocurrency Market - February 24th, 2020
- Blockchain for the Environment: It Is Real and It Is Here - Cointelegraph - February 24th, 2020
- Trace Mayer Explains the Importance of Proof of Keys - Live Bitcoin News - February 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin millionaires of today: Who owns how much BTC? - Crypto News Flash - February 24th, 2020
- Kevin Kelly Names Bitcoin And Blockchain Fifth Innovation Revolution. - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Got New Emoji to 'Spread Awareness', New Goal Emerged - Cryptonews - February 4th, 2020
- Expert Josip Heit Shares His Thoughts On Why Bitcoin Is Seen As Digital... - Forex Crunch - February 4th, 2020
- BSVs Upcoming Upgrade Will Increase The Block Size From 2G To Infinite - The Coin Republic - February 4th, 2020
- A Brief History of Bitcoin and Online Casinos - CoinCodex - February 4th, 2020
- Joe Rogan gives the thumbs up to the Bitcoiners' meat diet - Decrypt - February 4th, 2020
- How profitable will Bitcoin be in 2020? - Coin Rivet - February 4th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto's Net Worth: How Rich Is Satoshi Now? [LIVE] - January 19th, 2020
- The Creator of Bitcoin, Satoshi Nakamoto, Is Most Likely This Guy - January 19th, 2020
- The Bitcoin News - Who is Satoshi Nakamoto - always up to date - January 19th, 2020
- Satoshi Nakamoto Calls Bitcoin The Embodiment Of Value Creation - The Coin Republic - January 19th, 2020
- First Bitcoin (BTC) Transaction Was Made 11 Years Ago by Satoshi. What Was Its Purpose? - U.Today - January 19th, 2020
- Visionary Bitcoin Creator Satoshi Nakamoto to Reveal Identity - January 19th, 2020
- Bitcoin Reaches Its Highest In More Than 2 Months - Forbes - January 19th, 2020
- Listicle: 5 Bitcoin Lightning Games you need to know - Sahiwal Tv - January 19th, 2020