The idea of humanoid robots taking jobs previously done by humans may feel dystopian, but in the midst of the global COVID-19 pandemic, robots can free up human hospital medical staff and limit the possibility virus spread.
That's precisely why Beijing-based robotics company CloudMinds sent14 robots to Wuhan, China to help with patient care amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The robots, some of which are more humanoid than others, can clean and disinfect, deliver medicine to patients and measure patients' temperature. CloudMinds donated robots to several medical facilities in China, including the Wuhan Wuchang Smart Field Hospital, which was converted from the Hong Shan Sports Center.
For a time in March,"a previously human-run field hospital located inside Hong Shan Sports Center located in Wuhan was converted ... into a robot-led field hospital staffed entirely by robots and other smart [Internet of Things] devices," CloudMinds CEO and founder Bill Huang tells CNBC Make It, in a statement.
The robots cost between $17,000 and $72,000 each, a spokesperson for CloudMinds U.S., tells CNBC Make It.
Take a look.
In the video below, CloudMinds' infrared thermometry system checks peoples' temperature as they enter the Wuhan WuchangSmart Field Hospital. If a person entering the hospital showed fever symptoms, theAI platform would alert humanmedical staff.
All video and photos courtesy of CloudMinds
CloudMinds' humanoid service robot, Ginger, helped with hospital admissions, education services and, as can be seen in the video below, in providing a bit of levity. In addition to its administrative responsibilities, Ginger, "helped lift the spirits of bored quarantine patients by entertaining them with dancing," Bill Huang said.
The delivery robot below has an autonomous navigation and obstacle avoidance system. It can be used to deliver food, drinks and medicine to patients without direct person-to-person contact.
The robots worked with an artificial intelligence information management platform.
Called HARIX (Human Augmented Robot Intelligence with eXtreme Reality), "this AI platform, synced with smart bracelets and rings worn by patients, was able to monitor patient vital signs (including temperature, heart rate, blood oxygen levels), allowing doctors and nurses outside the facility to monitor all patient vital information remotely on one interface," Bill Huang tells CNBC Make It.
"Doctors and nurses were also equipped with these smart devices to monitor their own vitals to catch any potential early symptoms of infection," he says.
Operations in field hospitals like Wuhan Wuchang Smart Field Hospital have now been put on hold.
"These temporary field hospitals were used primarily to treat new incoming cases with light symptoms, with severe cases being transferred to hospitals," a CloudMinds spokesperson tells CNBC Make It. "As the containment efforts have improved, and the number of new cases has decreased, hospitals are now able to accommodate all new incoming cases."
The water in Venice, Italy's canals is running clear amid the COVID-19 lockdown take a look
'Americans need cash now:' Coronavirus has lawmakers calling for UBI
Bernie Sanders: 'If you're a multimillionaire ... you're going to get through' the coronavirus pandemic
Read the original here:
- Top 21 Industrial Robotics Companies in 2018 | Global ... - May 15th, 2020
- New Castle's winning robotics teams turn toward future - New Castle News - May 15th, 2020
- Robotics season to be replayed in 2021 | News - Del Rio News Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Post-COVID-19 Economy: Robots Create Jobs - IFR reports - Business Wire - May 15th, 2020
- NVIDIA Launches New Ampere Architecture, Infrastructure, Robotics And Automotive Technologies At GTC 2020 - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Industrial Robotics Market in Europe 2020-2024 | Rising Industrial Automation to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - May 15th, 2020
- UA's Robotics Team Works Virtually Through COVID-19 Pandemic - The Buchtelite - May 15th, 2020
- Global Robotics Education Market Report Forecast By Investment Statistics,Industry Outlook, Trends and Opportunities 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- AI, Robots, and Ethics in the Age of COVID-19 - MIT Sloan - May 15th, 2020
- This 14-year-old has developed a robotic tool prototype that aids in kinetic movements of fingers, hands, arms - YourStory - May 15th, 2020
- Profitable Report on Rehabilitation Robotics Market With Top Companies like AlterG, Bionik Inc.Statistics Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth,... - May 15th, 2020
- Robotics in Nursing Market (Covid-19 Updated) Ongoing Trends and Recent Developments by 2020 With Top Vendors: Fortis Memorial Research Institute,... - May 15th, 2020
- Commentary: COVID-19 will usher in the industrial robots - CNA - May 15th, 2020
- 26 Robotics Companies You Should Know | Built In - May 9th, 2020
- What's the Difference Between Robotics and Artificial ... - May 9th, 2020
- Denfeld Robotics run halted ahead of FIRST Championships - KBJR 6 - May 9th, 2020
- Future of Work: How the IoT, AI, and Robotics Can Help Keep Workplaces Clean and Safe - Allwork.Space - May 9th, 2020
- Just in Time for a Contactless World, Keenon Robotics has 6,000 Food Server Robots Already in Action - The Spoon - May 9th, 2020
- SCHOOLS BRIEFS: Martinsville robotics team in world event; 4 HCPS students named to All Virginia Band - Martinsville Bulletin - May 9th, 2020
- Rehabilitation Robotics Market With Top Companies like AlterG, Bionik Inc.,COVID-19 Impact, Statistics Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends,... - May 9th, 2020
- Pittsburghs airport is the first in the US to use UV-cleaning robots - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Cisco And AVA Robotics: Getting Closer to Teleportation - IT Business Edge - May 9th, 2020
- Ossining Student and Teacher Receive Awards for Robotics - Patch.com - May 9th, 2020
- The Global Robotic Wheelchair Market is expected to grow from USD 120.13 Million in 2018 to USD 231.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 9th, 2020
- Covariant raises $40 million to bring robots to low-tech industries - VentureBeat - May 9th, 2020
- Global Robotic Rehabilitation & Assistive Technologies Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles,... - May 9th, 2020
- Robots to the rescue! Arizona students in lockdown will still get their graduation day - Reuters - May 9th, 2020
- Autonomous Delivery Robots will Provide the Warehouse Industry the Opportunity to Achieve Efficient Material Management - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2020
- Robots, AI, and the road to a fully autonomous construction industry - VentureBeat - May 9th, 2020
- Rise of the Robots: COVID-19 is Causing a Hesitant India to Welcome Automation - The Tech Panda - May 9th, 2020
- Sentinel Robotic Launches Mobile Sentinel with Fever Detection, Antibody Verification - Dealerscope - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Industrial Robotics Market by Type, Industry And Region Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - April 27th, 2020
- Shoreline robotics teams ponder what could have been at cancelled World Competition - The Westerly Sun - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus New Jersey: Group Of High School Robotics Teams Band Together To Provide Face Shields To Jefferson Health - CBS Philly - April 27th, 2020
- Boston Dynamics Open Sources Their Healthcare Robotics Toolkit - Analytics India Magazine - April 27th, 2020
- Astrobotic, RE2 Robotics and Carlow University are hiring. See more Pittsburgh jobs 4/27/20 - NEXTpittsburgh - April 27th, 2020
- Robots on the rise in the COVID-19 economy - Sunbury Daily Item - April 27th, 2020
- As Workers Spread Out to Halt the Virus, Robots Fill the Gaps - WIRED - April 27th, 2020
- Bio-inspired Robotics Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Group Of NJ High School Robotics Teams Band Together To Provide Face Shields To Jefferson Health - CBS Denver - April 27th, 2020
- Best telepresence robots for business in 2020: Double Robotics, OhmniLabs, Meeting Owl, and more - ZDNet - April 27th, 2020
- Innovation from Destruction: Robotics Testing in Fukushima - Nippon.com - April 27th, 2020
- Boston Dynamics open-sources health care robotics toolkit for telemedicine, vitals inspection, and disinfection - VentureBeat - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus speeds the way for robots in the workplace - Axios - April 27th, 2020
- Drones and robots to stop the epidemic - InTallaght - April 27th, 2020
- Breaking the chain the robotic way - The Hindu - April 27th, 2020
- Floor-scrubbing robots go where humans fear to tread - The Globe and Mail - April 27th, 2020
- Impact of Robots In The Financial Sector - Communal News - April 27th, 2020
- RobotWorx - Examples of Robotics - April 26th, 2020
- What Types of Jobs Are in Robotics? - Grad School Hub - April 26th, 2020
- Autel Robotics EVO Review | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- Kell Robotics | Creativity Unleashed - April 26th, 2020
- Danville students draw on robotics team experience to create PPE for East Bay hospitals - danvillesanramon.com - April 26th, 2020
- Service Robotics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- AI'll be there for you: are robots coming to take our jobs? - The Irish Times - April 26th, 2020
- Global Robotic Vision Industry | State - Olean Times Herald - April 26th, 2020
- UV disinfecting robots to be deployed in fighting Covid-19 - straits times - April 26th, 2020
- Community Connections: Midland Public Schools reflects on a memorable school year - Midland Daily News - April 13th, 2020
- Meet the coronavirus drones and robots Coronavirus / 07 Apr - RTE.ie - April 13th, 2020
- The all-female robotics team in Afghanistan who made a cheap ventilator out of Toyota parts - The National - April 13th, 2020
- Global Box Packaging Robots Market : Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2029 - Curious Desk - April 13th, 2020
- Mobile robotics market expected to soar to $23 billion in 2021 - TechRepublic - April 11th, 2020
- RISE Robotics Raises $3 Million in Additional Funding to Drive Forward the Electrification and Sustainability of Heavy Machinery - Business Wire - April 11th, 2020
- Robots Welcome to Take Over, as Pandemic Accelerates Automation - The New York Times - April 11th, 2020
- Robots Are Here to Make Your Job Safer and Cleaner - Competitive Enterprise Institute - April 11th, 2020
- The intelligent soft robotics market is anticipated to grow at a robust CAGR of 37% on the basis of capacity during the forecast period from 2019 to... - April 11th, 2020
- NVIDIA : Robotics Duo Digs Into the Weeds with Winning AI Project at Hacketer.io - Marketscreener.com - April 11th, 2020
- Much-maligned robots may become heroes in war on coronavirus - The Japan Times - April 11th, 2020
- Review: Neato Robotic's Botvac D7 is the Robot Vacuum I've Always Wanted - The Mac Observer - April 11th, 2020
- Will Americans Warm Up To Robots In Place Of Workers Amid Threat Of Being Exposed To Virus? - Kaiser Health News - April 11th, 2020
- Universal Robots Launches ActiNav, the World's First Autonomous Bin Picking Kit for Machine Tending Applications - AiThority - April 11th, 2020
- Robots may become heroes in war on coronavirus - Raw Story - April 11th, 2020
- Robotics - Wikipedia - March 26th, 2020
- What Is Robotics? Types Of Robots | Built In - March 26th, 2020
- Combating COVID-19The role of robotics in managing public health and infectious diseases - Science - March 26th, 2020
- Students, staff bring robotics to students of all abilities - Hood River News - March 26th, 2020
- Robotics champs gutted by tournament cancellation - The Bay's News First - SunLive - March 26th, 2020
- The robots are ready as the COVID-19 recession spreads - Brookings Institution - March 26th, 2020
- ForwardX Robotics Ensures Reliability with Opening of US Test Center - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 26th, 2020
- ForwardX Robotics Opens US Headquarters in California - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 26th, 2020