Employee outlooks on AI are changing. Here's why they are more trusting of the technology.
The increased adoption of artificial intelligence (AI) at work is changing the relationship between employees and managers. More than half (64%) of employees said they trust a robot more than their manager, with half turning to a robot instead of a supervisor for advice, an Oracle and Future Workplace report found.
SEE: Special report: Managing AI and ML in the enterprise (free PDF) (TechRepublic)
Oracle and Future Workplace's second annual AI at Work report, released on Tuesday, surveyed 8,370 employees, managers, and human resources (HR) leaders from across 10 countries. AI completely shifted the way employees and tech interact at work, and is also reshaping the roles of HR teams and managers, the report found.
When AI first became popular, many employees feared the technology would render their jobs obsolete. However, once employees realized AI could actually help them conduct work more efficiently, their attitudes changed, the report found. The number of employees using AI at work increased by nearly 20% over the past year, from 32% to 50%.
The majority (65%) of workers said they are optimistic, excited, and grateful for their robot co-workers. Nearly a quarter of employees reported even having a loving and gratifying relationship with AI at work, according to the report.
Employees in India (60%) and China (56%) were the most excited about AI, followed by the UAE (44%), Singapore (41%), Brazil (32%), and Australia/New Zealand (26%). Men overall viewed AI more positively than women, with 32% of men reportedly optimistic, compared to 23% of women.
Workers across the world are also more trusting of robots over their manages, the report found. The majority of employees in India (89%), China (88%), Singapore (83%), Brazil (78%), Japan (76%), and the US (57%) all turn to robots before managers. Employees reported more faith in robots over managers because they felt that technology could better provide unbiased information (26%), maintain work schedules (34%), problem solve (29%), and manage a budget (26%).
When asked what areas managers are stronger in, workers reported understanding feelings (45%), coaching (33%), and creating work culture (29%). While automation is helpful with business processes, it is known to struggle with replicating and interpreting human emotion. With human connection being a vital part of the workplace, this ability is crucial.
"The latest advancements in machine learning and AI are rapidly reaching mainstream, resulting in a massive shift in the way people across the world interact with technology and their team," Emily He, senior vice president of the Human Capital Management Cloud Business Group at Oracle, said in a press release. "Organizations need to partner with their HR organization to personalize the approach to implementing AI at work in order to meet the changing expectations of their teams around the world."
With AI predicted to create $2.9 trillion in business value by 2021, according to Gartner's Leverage augmented intelligence to win with AI report, automation is here to stay.
And the use cases for AI continue surfacing, with 76% of workers and 81% of HR leaders finding it challenging to keep up with technological changes in the workplace, the report found.
These issues only create a heightened need for AI, but employees are worried about working with these new systems. Workers need a simplified experience with AI, according to the report. Employees cited a better user interface (34%), best practice training (30%), and personalized experiences (30%) as helpful strategies for adapting to AI.
If companies want to see the full benefits of AI, they must provide employees with these resources and experiences, the report said.
For more, check out AI is key for business success, but lack of skilled staff remains a barrier on TechRepublic.
Be in the know about smart cities, AI, Internet of Things, VR, autonomous driving, drones, robotics, and more of the coolest tech innovations. Delivered Wednesdays and Fridays
PhonlamaiPhoto, Getty Images/iStockphoto
Read more from the original source:
- Top 21 Industrial Robotics Companies in 2018 | Global ... - May 15th, 2020
- New Castle's winning robotics teams turn toward future - New Castle News - May 15th, 2020
- Robotics season to be replayed in 2021 | News - Del Rio News Herald - May 15th, 2020
- Post-COVID-19 Economy: Robots Create Jobs - IFR reports - Business Wire - May 15th, 2020
- NVIDIA Launches New Ampere Architecture, Infrastructure, Robotics And Automotive Technologies At GTC 2020 - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Industrial Robotics Market in Europe 2020-2024 | Rising Industrial Automation to Boost Growth | Technavio - Business... - May 15th, 2020
- UA's Robotics Team Works Virtually Through COVID-19 Pandemic - The Buchtelite - May 15th, 2020
- Global Robotics Education Market Report Forecast By Investment Statistics,Industry Outlook, Trends and Opportunities 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 15th, 2020
- AI, Robots, and Ethics in the Age of COVID-19 - MIT Sloan - May 15th, 2020
- This 14-year-old has developed a robotic tool prototype that aids in kinetic movements of fingers, hands, arms - YourStory - May 15th, 2020
- Profitable Report on Rehabilitation Robotics Market With Top Companies like AlterG, Bionik Inc.Statistics Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth,... - May 15th, 2020
- Robotics in Nursing Market (Covid-19 Updated) Ongoing Trends and Recent Developments by 2020 With Top Vendors: Fortis Memorial Research Institute,... - May 15th, 2020
- Commentary: COVID-19 will usher in the industrial robots - CNA - May 15th, 2020
- 26 Robotics Companies You Should Know | Built In - May 9th, 2020
- What's the Difference Between Robotics and Artificial ... - May 9th, 2020
- Denfeld Robotics run halted ahead of FIRST Championships - KBJR 6 - May 9th, 2020
- Future of Work: How the IoT, AI, and Robotics Can Help Keep Workplaces Clean and Safe - Allwork.Space - May 9th, 2020
- Just in Time for a Contactless World, Keenon Robotics has 6,000 Food Server Robots Already in Action - The Spoon - May 9th, 2020
- SCHOOLS BRIEFS: Martinsville robotics team in world event; 4 HCPS students named to All Virginia Band - Martinsville Bulletin - May 9th, 2020
- Rehabilitation Robotics Market With Top Companies like AlterG, Bionik Inc.,COVID-19 Impact, Statistics Analysis, Market Size, Share, Growth, Trends,... - May 9th, 2020
- Pittsburghs airport is the first in the US to use UV-cleaning robots - The Verge - May 9th, 2020
- Cisco And AVA Robotics: Getting Closer to Teleportation - IT Business Edge - May 9th, 2020
- Ossining Student and Teacher Receive Awards for Robotics - Patch.com - May 9th, 2020
- The Global Robotic Wheelchair Market is expected to grow from USD 120.13 Million in 2018 to USD 231.13 Million by the end of 2025 at a Compound Annual... - May 9th, 2020
- Covariant raises $40 million to bring robots to low-tech industries - VentureBeat - May 9th, 2020
- Global Robotic Rehabilitation & Assistive Technologies Market - Premium Insight, Competitive News Feed Analysis, Company Usability Profiles,... - May 9th, 2020
- Robots to the rescue! Arizona students in lockdown will still get their graduation day - Reuters - May 9th, 2020
- Autonomous Delivery Robots will Provide the Warehouse Industry the Opportunity to Achieve Efficient Material Management - GlobeNewswire - May 9th, 2020
- Robots, AI, and the road to a fully autonomous construction industry - VentureBeat - May 9th, 2020
- Rise of the Robots: COVID-19 is Causing a Hesitant India to Welcome Automation - The Tech Panda - May 9th, 2020
- Sentinel Robotic Launches Mobile Sentinel with Fever Detection, Antibody Verification - Dealerscope - May 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Industrial Robotics Market by Type, Industry And Region Global Forecast to 2025 - GlobeNewswire - April 27th, 2020
- Shoreline robotics teams ponder what could have been at cancelled World Competition - The Westerly Sun - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus New Jersey: Group Of High School Robotics Teams Band Together To Provide Face Shields To Jefferson Health - CBS Philly - April 27th, 2020
- Boston Dynamics Open Sources Their Healthcare Robotics Toolkit - Analytics India Magazine - April 27th, 2020
- Astrobotic, RE2 Robotics and Carlow University are hiring. See more Pittsburgh jobs 4/27/20 - NEXTpittsburgh - April 27th, 2020
- Robots on the rise in the COVID-19 economy - Sunbury Daily Item - April 27th, 2020
- As Workers Spread Out to Halt the Virus, Robots Fill the Gaps - WIRED - April 27th, 2020
- Bio-inspired Robotics Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- Group Of NJ High School Robotics Teams Band Together To Provide Face Shields To Jefferson Health - CBS Denver - April 27th, 2020
- Best telepresence robots for business in 2020: Double Robotics, OhmniLabs, Meeting Owl, and more - ZDNet - April 27th, 2020
- Innovation from Destruction: Robotics Testing in Fukushima - Nippon.com - April 27th, 2020
- Boston Dynamics open-sources health care robotics toolkit for telemedicine, vitals inspection, and disinfection - VentureBeat - April 27th, 2020
- Coronavirus speeds the way for robots in the workplace - Axios - April 27th, 2020
- Drones and robots to stop the epidemic - InTallaght - April 27th, 2020
- Breaking the chain the robotic way - The Hindu - April 27th, 2020
- Floor-scrubbing robots go where humans fear to tread - The Globe and Mail - April 27th, 2020
- Impact of Robots In The Financial Sector - Communal News - April 27th, 2020
- RobotWorx - Examples of Robotics - April 26th, 2020
- What Types of Jobs Are in Robotics? - Grad School Hub - April 26th, 2020
- Autel Robotics EVO Review | PCMag - April 26th, 2020
- Kell Robotics | Creativity Unleashed - April 26th, 2020
- Danville students draw on robotics team experience to create PPE for East Bay hospitals - danvillesanramon.com - April 26th, 2020
- Service Robotics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 26th, 2020
- AI'll be there for you: are robots coming to take our jobs? - The Irish Times - April 26th, 2020
- Global Robotic Vision Industry | State - Olean Times Herald - April 26th, 2020
- UV disinfecting robots to be deployed in fighting Covid-19 - straits times - April 26th, 2020
- Community Connections: Midland Public Schools reflects on a memorable school year - Midland Daily News - April 13th, 2020
- Meet the coronavirus drones and robots Coronavirus / 07 Apr - RTE.ie - April 13th, 2020
- The all-female robotics team in Afghanistan who made a cheap ventilator out of Toyota parts - The National - April 13th, 2020
- Global Box Packaging Robots Market : Industry Outlook, Comprehensive Insights, Growth and Forecast 2029 - Curious Desk - April 13th, 2020
- Mobile robotics market expected to soar to $23 billion in 2021 - TechRepublic - April 11th, 2020
- RISE Robotics Raises $3 Million in Additional Funding to Drive Forward the Electrification and Sustainability of Heavy Machinery - Business Wire - April 11th, 2020
- Robots Welcome to Take Over, as Pandemic Accelerates Automation - The New York Times - April 11th, 2020
- Robots Are Here to Make Your Job Safer and Cleaner - Competitive Enterprise Institute - April 11th, 2020
- The intelligent soft robotics market is anticipated to grow at a robust CAGR of 37% on the basis of capacity during the forecast period from 2019 to... - April 11th, 2020
- NVIDIA : Robotics Duo Digs Into the Weeds with Winning AI Project at Hacketer.io - Marketscreener.com - April 11th, 2020
- Much-maligned robots may become heroes in war on coronavirus - The Japan Times - April 11th, 2020
- Review: Neato Robotic's Botvac D7 is the Robot Vacuum I've Always Wanted - The Mac Observer - April 11th, 2020
- Will Americans Warm Up To Robots In Place Of Workers Amid Threat Of Being Exposed To Virus? - Kaiser Health News - April 11th, 2020
- Universal Robots Launches ActiNav, the World's First Autonomous Bin Picking Kit for Machine Tending Applications - AiThority - April 11th, 2020
- Robots may become heroes in war on coronavirus - Raw Story - April 11th, 2020
- Robotics - Wikipedia - March 26th, 2020
- What Is Robotics? Types Of Robots | Built In - March 26th, 2020
- Combating COVID-19The role of robotics in managing public health and infectious diseases - Science - March 26th, 2020
- Students, staff bring robotics to students of all abilities - Hood River News - March 26th, 2020
- Robotics champs gutted by tournament cancellation - The Bay's News First - SunLive - March 26th, 2020
- The robots are ready as the COVID-19 recession spreads - Brookings Institution - March 26th, 2020
- ForwardX Robotics Ensures Reliability with Opening of US Test Center - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 26th, 2020
- ForwardX Robotics Opens US Headquarters in California - Supply and Demand Chain Executive - March 26th, 2020