LNG from Canada has some important operational-cost and carbon-intensity advantages over LNG from many other parts of the natural gas-producing world, including the simple fact that Canada is cold.
You can see Canadian temperatures are, obviously, on average lower than those on the Gulf Coast and those in several parts of Australia and certainly those in Africa, where we have emerging projects going forward, and also in Qatar, said Ryan Pereira, global director of oil and gas at Gaffney, Cline & Associates. This leads to substantial operational cost savings in the running of the plants going forward.
Further, he told a recent event in London, U.K. (hosted on behalf of the Alberta government) to discuss the scope of Canadian LNG growth, the sort of innovation, technology and forward thinking about the energy transition that makes LNG both ecological and economical is being massively embraced in Canada, which bodes well for projects.
Its pleasing to see that Canadian proponents today are leading the way in terms of carbon intensity of liquefaction facilities, setting examples, Pereira said, adding LNG is poised to play an important role in the global transition to less carbon-intensive forms of energy. The reason for this are the four Es you hear an awful lot about in Canada, and we hear an awful lot about in this part of the world energy, environment, the economy, and finally, electrification.
Canada's Green LNG Advantage: New report outlines low-emissions opportunities
However, during the event, which was hosted by JWN parent company Glacier Media and the Canadian Society for Unconventional Resources, Shawn Tupper, associate deputy minister, Natural Resources Canada, said Canadas interest in LNG is not about de-carbonization or a kind of runaway from carbon-based fuels, but rather defining how the countrys energy mix will exist in the future (and the roles LNG and other products plays in that).
Our fundamentals are about making sure we have a clear path forward, and that investors see that path forward in terms of how that energy mix evolves.
Likewise, Bill Whitelaw, chief executive officer of JWN Energy, said that LNG is just a proxy for an energy renaissance in the Canadian natural gas sector. Alberta in particular has a different set of interests from a lot of the other natural gas producers, because we have a full value-chain set of opportunities along how all those molecules can work on the behalf of all Canadians.
Meanwhile, Sandy MacMullin, executive director of petroleum resources for Government of Nova Scotia, noted the distance advantage of potential East Coast Canadian LNG terminals when it comes to reaching European markets. He said: A lot of people dont realize that the sailing distance from Halifax to London is less than half the distance from Houston to London. Thats an advantage.
For Nova Scotia, LNG is important because it could potentially offer international markets for the provinces offshore natural gas reserves, noted MacMullin.
We have a lot of natural gas potential in our offshore, but right now the oil and gas companies are not looking for offshore gas, he said, adding if an LNG industry could take hold in Atlantic Canada, then Newfoundland and Labrador could also add its 12 tcf of discovered gas in need of market. Those could ultimately augment the supply of natural gas coming out of Eastern Canada for LNG markets, and so theres lots of optionality there thats evolving.
According to MacMillan, there are two proposed LNG projects for Nova Scotia. His province is working with Pieridae Energy Limited, Goldboro LNGs proponent, to appropriately set a carbon price. He noted that another East Coast LNG challenge is environmental opposition. One of the main things weve [got] to worry about and concern ourselves about is that we do have single-issue interest groups out there that arent fans of fossil fuel development.
Bill Breckenridge, assistant deputy minister, energy and mines, Government of New Brunswick, said while his province does not export LNG, it does import it, and has done so safely for a decade a time when natural resource projects have faced intense public scrutiny and increasing criticism. Weve had 10 years of LNG tankers coming into New Brunswick with no problems and no challenges.
Originally posted here:
- Alberta's oil-based wealth fund misses a $433 billion opportunity - WorldOil - August 8th, 2020
- Business Council of BC urges province to 'fast-track' economic recovery measures - Daily Commercial News - August 8th, 2020
- BMO forecasts full recovery of Canadian economy next year - Daily Commercial News - August 8th, 2020
- Protecting 30% of the earth will bolster economy - thethirdpole.net - August 8th, 2020
- Opinion: Investing in Philly artists during the pandemic could help - WHYY - August 8th, 2020
- Why special education funding will be more equitable under new state law - EdSource - August 8th, 2020
- Canada should support Taiwan's admission to the CPTPP - iPolitics.ca - August 8th, 2020
- Ben Franklin to Invest $114500 in the Regional Economy - bctv.org - August 8th, 2020
- India Must Plan New Strategy for Cities to Reap Full Benefits of 'Self-Reliance' Initiative - TheCityFix - August 8th, 2020
- Microsoft commits to achieve 'zero waste' goals by 2030 - Microsoft - August 8th, 2020
- Education at the mercy of the market - Frontline - August 8th, 2020
- Alberta's oil-based wealth fund misses a $433 billion opportunity - WorldOil - August 7th, 2020
- Business Council of BC urges province to 'fast-track' economic recovery measures - Daily Commercial News - August 7th, 2020
- Embrace the circular economy - Daily Pioneer - August 7th, 2020
- Lake Cowichan says its Not The Wild West - My Cowichan Valley Now - August 7th, 2020
- Protecting 30% of the earth will bolster economy - thethirdpole.net - August 7th, 2020
- BMO forecasts full recovery of Canadian economy next year - Daily Commercial News - August 7th, 2020
- Ben Franklin to Invest $114500 in the Regional Economy - bctv.org - August 7th, 2020
- BC's opportunity to move toward watershed security - Policy Options - August 7th, 2020
- Why special education funding will be more equitable under new state law - EdSource - August 7th, 2020
- Microsoft commits to achieve 'zero waste' goals by 2030 - Microsoft - August 7th, 2020
- India Must Plan New Strategy for Cities to Reap Full Benefits of 'Self-Reliance' Initiative - TheCityFix - August 7th, 2020
- Supply Chain Canada is Proud to Announce its Fellow Inductees for 2020 - Canada NewsWire - August 7th, 2020
- Guest column: Mullins and Sharpe were pivotal in Tyler's growth - Tyler Morning Telegraph - August 7th, 2020
- COVID-19 having big impact on outdoor recreation industry, public lands - WXYZ - August 7th, 2020
- Final webinar on coal transition offers advice and resources for communities - Uinta County Herald - August 7th, 2020
- Lake Cowichan says it's Not The Wild West - My Cowichan Valley Now - August 7th, 2020
- The Pandemic Has Resulted in Record Savings, but Only for Some - NextAdvisor - August 7th, 2020
- For all Marape's achievements in PNG, the biggest challenges await - The Interpreter - August 7th, 2020
- Opinion: Pandemic, floods, fires, hurricanes, extinctions nature is telling us it's time to build our economy around inclusive wealth - Ensia - August 7th, 2020
- Amid the pandemic, can Colorado still lead on a just transition from coal? - Energy News Network - August 7th, 2020
- UAE partners with Airbus to launch satellite testing and assembly centre - The National - August 6th, 2020
- June TechCred to Fund Record-Setting Number of In-Demand Credentials WKTN- A division of Home Town Media - WKTN Radio - August 6th, 2020
- Managing air quality: Urban intergovernmental institutions appear to be logical choice - The Financial Express - August 6th, 2020
- Trump Tries to Make It Hard for Anyone Else to Behave Ethically, Either - The New Yorker - August 6th, 2020
- BCG ECONOMY THRIVING ON RICH BIODIVERSITY AND TECHNOLOGICAL STRENGTHS - Bangkok Post - August 6th, 2020
- Teva and Alvotech Announce Strategic Partnership to Collaborate in the U.S. Biosimilar Market - Business Wire - August 6th, 2020
- These states are happiest with their standard of living - YouGov US - August 5th, 2020
- Tawazun to build, develop Satellite Assembly, Integration and Testing Centre - Emirates News Agency - August 5th, 2020
- Here's how we can make health a core part of the global economy - World Economic Forum - August 5th, 2020
- Crowns and Hops Brewing Launches 8 Trill Pils Initiative to Support Black-Owned Craft Breweries - Brewbound.com - August 5th, 2020
- Conservation NGOs welcome the reopening of intra-provincial nature-based tourism in no touch economy - Phoenix Sun - August 3rd, 2020
- PROS Holdings, Inc. Announces Appointment of Catherine A. Lesjak to Board of Directors - Business Wire - August 3rd, 2020
- University Alliance to Deliver Economic and Social Benefits to Wales - Business News Wales - August 3rd, 2020
- Indigenous communities need to be partners in Canadas COVID-19 recovery plan - The Globe and Mail - August 1st, 2020
- Using the EU taxonomy as a guide to sustainable recovery - Investors' Corner BNP Paribas - August 1st, 2020
- Post-COVID Banking: Now is the Time to Make the Enterprise-Wide Risk Assessment Process Match the Rapidly Evolving Risk Environment - JD Supra - August 1st, 2020
- How Provident Fund is taxed: All you need to know - The Financial Express - August 1st, 2020
- India is consumption based economy and it needs logistics more than ever now: K Satyanarayana, Ecom Express - SME Futures - August 1st, 2020
- Greening The Grid: Resource Adequacy, Intermittency, & Carbon Pricing - CleanTechnica - August 1st, 2020
- Trade barriers are slowing plastic-pollution action. Here's how to fix it - World Economic Forum - August 1st, 2020
- What's on the Ballot: Commissioner of Public Lands - Auburn Examiner - August 1st, 2020
- Sunburn The morning read of what's hot in Florida politics 7.31.20 - Florida Politics - August 1st, 2020
- Indian Inc has to move towards decarbonisation: Thermax MD & CEO - The Financial Express - August 1st, 2020
- Seton Hall teams with East Orange to offer virtual summer work experience program - nj.com - August 1st, 2020
- Food waste and plastic pollution: 'The two key sustainability drivers are carbon and circularity' - FoodNavigator.com - August 1st, 2020
- 75 attend webinar on implications of Covid on economy - The Tribune India - July 31st, 2020
- Seton Hall Works with City of East Orange, Jamila Davis, Tamika Mallory and Yandy Smith to Bring Virtual Summer Work Experience Program to Area Youth... - July 31st, 2020
- Plug and Play Japan to Open its New Office "Plug and Play Osaka" - PRNewswire - July 31st, 2020
- Mawson Resources says funded to drill promising gold and silver targets in Mt Isa in Queensland - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 31st, 2020
- Government of Canada protecting the Lake Winnipeg basin Franais - Canada NewsWire - July 30th, 2020
- Strategic Resources Closes the Acquisition of the Mustavaara Mine in Finland - PRNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- Q&A: Tracy Zea, new chief of the Waterways Council - WorkBoat - July 28th, 2020
- Vietnam Threatens China with Litigation over the South China Sea - Lawfare - July 28th, 2020
- Program to deliver $1.2 million in grants to struggling small businesses will provide economic relief - Monroe Evening News - July 28th, 2020
- Chief Secretary to the Treasury delivers his first speech in the role to thinktank Onward - GOV.UK - July 28th, 2020
- Property/Casualty Insurance Industry Suffered Largest-Ever Drop in Surplus in the First Quarter of 2020 - GlobeNewswire - July 28th, 2020
- This is now the world's greatest threat and it's not coronavirus - World Economic Forum - July 26th, 2020
- Be a Weed Detective July 25th: An Introduction to Local Invasive Plants, Their Impacts, and How to Identify, Map, and Control Them - Tillamook County... - July 26th, 2020
- The Gig Economy Beyond COVID-19 | Fisher Phillips - JDSupra - JD Supra - July 26th, 2020
- Budget-minded business owners' love affair with gig workers is growing - CNBC - July 26th, 2020
- Art of change: Maintaining digital and physical balance in times of Coronavirus - The Financial Express - July 26th, 2020
- Indias new fisheries policy will increase private control over open access water bodies - Scroll.in - July 26th, 2020
- Bureaucracy needs revamping to enable growth and development - The Sunday Guardian - July 26th, 2020
- The weekend read: Making solar sizzle - pv magazine International - July 26th, 2020
- Faculty and Staff Authors Compile Impressive List of Works - Middlebury College News and Events - July 25th, 2020
- Be a Weed Detective July 25 | Community - Tillamook Headlight-Herald - July 25th, 2020
- Covid Redefines the State | DK Giri - Mainstream - July 25th, 2020
- Jordan's Prime Minister Says His Country Contained COVID-19 By 'Helping The Weakest' - OPB News - July 25th, 2020
- Business Botswana to roll out recovery plan - The Patriot On Sunday - July 25th, 2020