HomeOpinionBeing proactive re: childcare worker shortage
July 20, 2017 The Goat Opinion
by EVAN MATTHEWS, editor
Valemount has a growing problem with the lack of available licensed childcare.
This week, Manager of the Valemount Childrens Activity Society Krista Voth told the Goat the daycare is desperate for Early Childhood Educators (ECE) and ECE assistants, which is causing a growing waitlist for the centre.
Voth says the society will even consider hiring people to work while they take their courses.
Meanwhile, parents in the community are struggling to hold down jobs, especially during summer months when school is out. Some parents are even contemplating moving.
There have been more than 20 babies born in Valemount in the last year, according to the Childrens Activity Society.
While some are looking at solutions to address the childcare issue, the only thing for certain is that a gap exists in the community between the number of children and the available care.
Now the citizens of Valemount need to address it.
When the mill closed, people were fleeing in droves. The community has since recovered, in a transition from a resource extraction-based economy to a tourism-based economy.
As this community has longed for, people are coming and staying with their families. The community needs reliable childcare.
I dont know what the solution is, but an issue exists.
Our community needs to work on viable solutions before families start to move away, or avoid moving here in the first place.
There are not many people I know of who can afford to take time away from work. The time to address the issue is now.
Escaping 100 Mile House
Valemount daycare desperate for workers
Here is the original post:
- Trudeau to destroy another resource industry in the west but to the chagrin of the Feds Alberta could benefit - Brooks Bulletin - January 19th, 2020
- Bringing Consensus Politics Back to Environmental Issues - State of the Planet - January 19th, 2020
- PNGs economy rebounds in 2019, a year in review - POST-COURIER - January 19th, 2020
- B.C. cheers high tech in its rural communities - but financial support is missing - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2020
- Hello, Hanover - The Post - Ontario - January 19th, 2020
- Ghana And World Bank Sign $570 Million Agreement | Banking/Finance - Peace FM Online - January 19th, 2020
- Carbon pricing: Research on carbon taxes and cap-and-trade - Journalist's Resource - January 19th, 2020
- Focus on demand creation reforms in budget: PHDCCI to govt - ETAuto.com - January 19th, 2020
- Union Budget 2020 | PHDCCI urges govt to focus on demand creation reforms in budget - Jagran English - January 19th, 2020
- Shadowfax Ties Up With ASSOCHAM To Upskill And Employ Youth Under The Skill India Mission - IndianWeb2.com - January 19th, 2020
- Timipre Sylva: Nigeria to focus on five critical areas in oil and gas sector in 2020 - TODAY NEWS AFRICA - January 19th, 2020
- Digital citizen rights need to have teeth for Canada to succeed in data-driven economy - The Globe and Mail - December 27th, 2019
- Azmin: Malaysia to realign economy in the next decade - The Malaysian Reserve - December 27th, 2019
- The Malaysian economy in 2020 - Malaysiakini - December 27th, 2019
- There's a Genius, Sustainable Economic System We Could All Be Using. Here's How - ScienceAlert - December 27th, 2019
- Diane Francis: If Ottawa won't listen to the West on resources, perhaps the West should stop listening to Ottawa - Financial Post - December 27th, 2019
- How Cambridge Analytica and the Trump campaign changed Big Tech forever - CNBC - December 27th, 2019
- Abe says planning to visit Middle East in early Jan. - The Mainichi - December 27th, 2019
- The Next Big Thing - The Maritime Executive - December 27th, 2019
- ANCHORAGE PRESS PERSON OF THE YEAR: At 95, Vic Fischer continues to fight for the Alaska Constitution he drafted - Anchorage Press - December 27th, 2019
- Year in Review 2019: The five fastest-growing jobs in Singapore - Yahoo Singapore News - December 27th, 2019
- Moe has no regrets about divisive 2019 as he targets more autonomy in New Year - Regina Leader-Post - December 27th, 2019
- 65 Outstanding Black And Hispanic Men Leading In Cannabis - Benzinga - December 27th, 2019
- The Triad of Commoning - Resilience - December 21st, 2019
- What the United Arab Emirates can teach resource-rich countries in Africa - Brookings Institution - December 21st, 2019
- COP 25 in Madrid and the Limits of Climate Diplomacy - State of the Planet - December 21st, 2019
- This Teacher Makes $40,000 A Year. This Lawyer Makes $210,000 A Year. That Explains The American Economy. - BuzzFeed News - December 21st, 2019
- Newport, R.I. Looks to Protect its History From Climate Change - Government Technology - December 21st, 2019
- OP/ED: What the Linn County Lawsuit Really Means - Tillamook County Pioneer - December 21st, 2019
- Enbridge to create 300 new jobs for T-south pipeline expansion - Business in Vancouver - December 21st, 2019
- Capitalism and the Limits of Greening - CounterPunch - December 21st, 2019
- Taking Up Second Committee Reports, General Assembly Adopts 47 Resolutions, including Texts to Combat Protectionism, Unilateral Economic Measures -... - December 21st, 2019
- Business movers: The biggest appointments in Irish business to kick off 2020 - BreakingNews.ie - December 21st, 2019
- Gilgit Baltistan: a peace of heaven! - Daily Times - December 21st, 2019
- Look Back 2019: PM Lee reaches out to Singapore's key partners - The Straits Times - December 21st, 2019
- Our Top Infographics of 2019 - Visual Capitalist - December 21st, 2019
- Open and shut cases: North - Resource Clips - December 21st, 2019
- Tackling the difficult political history of the sub-continent - Dhaka Tribune - December 21st, 2019
- Innovating Your Way Out Of The Resource Curse - Forbes - December 5th, 2019
- Opinion: Is Canada's economy keeping up with the Joneses? Unfortunately, the answer is no - The Globe and Mail - December 5th, 2019
- Philip Cross: Stop meddling, government. Let the economy play to its strengths - Financial Post - December 5th, 2019
- Premiers urge Ottawa to boost fiscal stabilization program retroactively to cope with downturn in resource sector - The Globe and Mail - December 5th, 2019
- 'In pursuit of a knowledge based economy' - The Patriot On Sunday - December 5th, 2019
- Experts say reliance on resource revenue is the reason for Alberta credit downgrade - The Globe and Mail - December 5th, 2019
- In China, coal creeps back in as slowing economy overshadows climate change ambitions - Reuters - December 5th, 2019
- Space race: The next trillion-dollar economy? - Fox Business - December 5th, 2019
- Be industry 4.0-ready! - Study International News - December 5th, 2019
- Most Black Friday purchases soon end up as waste - University of Leeds - December 5th, 2019
- Report from Exxon Mobil-owned firm in 1991 shows the cost of curbing CO2 - The Japan Times - December 5th, 2019
- London audience hears why Canadian LNG is the 'coolest' | Oil & Gas - JWN - December 5th, 2019
- Futureproof your career in Business Analytics - Study International News - December 5th, 2019
- Time to change aid to give people sovereignty over their food - Open Democracy - December 5th, 2019
- Column: Wolverine tracking and the tale of Terrible Ted - Salmon Arm Observer - November 29th, 2019
- How to launch Ethiopia's tech and innovation lift-off - UNCTAD - November 29th, 2019
- Challenges of the Indus Basin - The News International - November 29th, 2019
- Resiliency and sustainability in the face of industry 4.0 | Eagle Watch - Business Mirror - November 29th, 2019
- The Grand Illusion - CounterPunch - November 29th, 2019
- Podcast: Rich pickings on the abyssal plain? - chinadialogue ocean - November 29th, 2019
- Igniting Innovation - BCBusiness - November 29th, 2019
- Shedding Light on Surefire Resources Unaly Hill and Victory Bore Vanadium Projects - Kalkine Media - November 29th, 2019
- North Lake Tahoe vacation rentals impacted most with new regulations - Rocklin & Roseville Today - November 29th, 2019
- 13 new books and reports about the future of food - Yale Climate Connections - November 29th, 2019
- Economic clichs and misconceptions - Daily Times - November 29th, 2019
- 68% of Edmontonians believe transition to green energy will lead to job opportunities: survey - Global News - November 29th, 2019
- News > Working with Business > University opens National Pig Centre in Yorkshire - University of Leeds - November 29th, 2019
- Saudi Arabia on a Bold Mission to Transform its Economy and Culture by 2030 - CBN News - November 16th, 2019
- To build a circular economy, we need to put recycling in the bin - Big Think - November 16th, 2019
- Risk-based Audits for Transfer Pricing : Some Key Concerns - Economic and Political Weekly - November 16th, 2019
- Are wellness and economic growth connected? - Human Resource Executive - November 16th, 2019
- Offshore wind will be a $1T industry by 2040, but our oceans and economy need it now - Utility Dive - November 16th, 2019
- SUMA's president will help represent the west in Ottawa - 620 CKRM.com - November 16th, 2019
- Trying to bridge Canadas archipelago of envies again - Business in Vancouver - November 16th, 2019
- Reassess The PCS: Stop Moving Soldiers Every 2 Years - Breaking Defense - November 16th, 2019
- Why micromobility is the future of transportation in cities - World Economic Forum - November 16th, 2019
- Growing GDP Amid Hazardous Pollution The True Welfare of our Communities? - The Citizen - November 16th, 2019
- How Reparations to Descendants of Slavery Can Heal a Nation - YES! Magazine - November 16th, 2019
- India's Sanitation Economy estimated to be a $62 billion market opportunity - IndiaCSR - November 16th, 2019
- Skills and training the focus for new CIWM President - Resource Magazine - November 16th, 2019
- Green economy already eclipses that of oil and gas - The Rocky Mountain Goat - November 16th, 2019
- Two research projects receive combined $448000 from Innovate BC - BetaKit - November 16th, 2019