Your brain shrinks as you grow older, and even a healthy person can lose up to 20% of brain volume over a lifetime, according to Elysium Health. Nootropics first referred to specific chemicals that met criteria for brain health, but now the term refers to the myriad of products, natural and synthetic, that have an impact on mental skills and mental health. Finding the best nootropics for patients can be a matter of trial and error.
We spoke with Brett R. Martin DC, MPH, MSAc, associate professor for the National University of Health Sciences, who teaches botanical medicine courses and nutrition courses at NUHS.
Nootropics are substances such as medications, vitamins, minerals, herbs, or any other chemical that has the capacity to improve the function of the brain. Some nootropics are ginkgo biloba, L-theanine, ashwagandha, rhodiola, Asian ginseng, and magnesium.
Nootropics may have a variety of different effects depending on the substance that is being used. Unfortunately, for some chemical substances, we dont know the function on the body. However, certain herbs may interact and increase the blood flow to the brain. This increases oxygen and glucose utilization, which could help with attention and memory. Magnesium, bilberry or grape seed extract may work in that manner.
Other herbs can control neurotransmitter or chemical messengers activity in the brain. For instance, ginkgo biloba can act as a serotonin, dopamine, or norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.Asian ginseng helps to reduce cortisol (the stress hormone) levels, which may help with its effects on memory and cognition.
I believe that this is dependent on the type of nootropic agent. Some people consider general stimulants such as caffeine, Adderall, and nicotine to be nootropics because they increase alertness. However, chronic intake of these substances could potentially produce undesired complications later on in life such as blood pressure issues, anxiety, sleep disturbances, or an increased risk of a heart attack or stroke.
Long-term use of most natural substances is believed to be safe. Unfortunately, there is still not a lot known about the long-term use of certain herbs. Consequently, it would be better to use herbs, vitamins, and minerals like grape seed extract, magnesium, and B vitamins that are considered generally safe to use for long periods of time.
The benefit of using grape seed extract is that it not only can improve blood flow and cognitive function, but it has many phytochemicals (plant substances) that are capable of producing a wide array of different effects. For example, grape seed extract is a potent antioxidant reducing free radical production. Free radicals can damage tissues and over time are thought to be a major factor contributing to aging. Grape seed extract has phytochemicals that can reduce inflammation, cholesterol, and the potential for atheromatous plaque formation.
Certain nootropics could potentially help with weight management. Caffeine, which again it is debatable if it is actually a nootropic, is found in a lot of different nootropic supplements. Caffeine can accelerate the metabolism promoting weight loss, but studies have shown that not all the weight that is lost is from fat. There is also a potential to lose a small amount of muscle tissue. Amphetamines were used for years to help with weight loss, but had a large quantity of side effects and complications.
Green tea is an excellent nootropic. It has L-theanine in it, which has been shown to improve mood and increase cognitive function. Green tea is also great for weight loss. It contains epigallocatechin gallate, which can down regulate the effects of the caffeine, so that muscle loss doesnt occur. This herb promotes weight loss by increasing uncoupling proteins in the inner mitochondrial membrane. This causes heat to be created, increasing metabolism, which boosts fat burning effects in a process known as thermogenesis. Several studies show that it helps with weight loss without muscle loss.
There are a few reasons that herbs like rhodiola or Siberian ginseng could be beneficial for sports performance. These herbs can potentially help promote blood flow to the tissues enhancing sports performance. The most likely mechanism is by increasing the amount of oxygen delivered to the tissue to keep a person in aerobic metabolism, which is 19 times more efficient than anaerobic metabolism.
These herbs may also affect cortisol levels. The higher the amount of cortisol, the sooner a person will become fatigued. Siberian ginseng has been shown to be really beneficial for sports, while more research still needs to be done on rhodiola.
It really depends on the nootropic. Siberian ginseng and ashwagandha can boost the immune system. Siberian ginseng can also reduce histamine release, mild to moderately and has been used has been used for energy support during chemo and radiation therapy.
Among the best nootropics Ashwagandha can increase the production of red blood cells and hemoglobin and could be beneficial for anemia. It can also promote the release of thyroid hormone. Green tea has been widely used as an anticarcinogenic agent. Ginkgo biloba can reduce insulin resistance and improve pancreatic beta cell function in Type II diabetics. Bilberry [European blueberries] extract is used to improve eye function and can treat any type of retinopathy including diabetic and hypertensive.
There are always contraindications to certain herbal and pharmaceutical products. With individuals who have had a previous heart attack, stroke, hypertension, insomnia, anxiety, or other chronic disease, certain herbs may exacerbate their existing symptoms or disorder. Before attempting to find your best nootropics it is important to know the contraindications and side effects prior to use.
Here is the original post:
- 'Smart drugs' are real here's what's scientifically proven and how to tell if nootropics are right for you - Insider - June 15th, 2021
- Do Brain Supplements Really Improve Focus & Memory? Here's What the Science Says - Yahoo Lifestyle - June 15th, 2021
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2021 2027 | Growth Dynamics, Revenue Outlook and Opportunities Forecast Excelerol, Zhou Nutrition, Neurofuse The... - June 15th, 2021
- Gus Kenworthy Joins beam as Global Athlete and Wellness Ambassador and Investor - PRNewswire - June 15th, 2021
- Comprehensive Analysis On Nootropics Market Based On Types And Application Express Keeper - Express Keeper - February 20th, 2021
- Nootropic Products Market Share, Historical Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Forecast to 2027 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - February 1st, 2021
- The 14 Best Nootropics and Smart Drugs Reviewed - October 19th, 2020
- Buy The Best Nootropics Online Today at Nootropics Depot - October 19th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Size, Share & Growth, Market Research and Industry Forecast Report, 2025 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) -... - October 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market 2020 Estimate CAGR Analysis, Technological Development Overview, Growth Trends and Competitive Research till 2027... - October 19th, 2020
- 'The Biohackers Guide to Getting Things Done In Times of Uncertainty' Episode 1: 'Why You Really Procrastinate' - CT Post - October 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Report to 2026 Industry Demand Analysis and Current Trend - Bulletin Line - August 10th, 2020
- I chewed brain-boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 9th, 2020
- 15 Ways Men Can Boost Their Productivity - The Good Men Project - August 6th, 2020
- I chewed brain boosting nootropic gum for a week straight. Heres how it went - Digital Trends - August 3rd, 2020
- Low-Alcohol Drinks Are the Future of Booze - GQ Magazine - August 3rd, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market - What Industry Holds for the Future post Covid? Growth Analysis & Complete Insights 2020 - 2026 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Can happy hour lose the booze? - The Hustle - July 30th, 2020
- Quokka Brew Debuts Jitter Free Coffee that will start your breakfast on the right foot natio ... - Drew Reports News - July 30th, 2020
- Future Growth Of Nootropics Market By New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies Forecast To 2025 - CueReport - July 29th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Projections & Future Opportunities Recorded for the Period until 2027|Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc., Takeda... - July 29th, 2020
- Impact of Corona on Nootropics Market : What will prove favorable for Nootropics Market? - The Daily Chronicle - July 28th, 2020
- New Study on Global Nootropics Market | Know Which Companies Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19:::Nootrobox, Cephalon,... - July 28th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic and Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Owned - July 27th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Potential Growth, Demand by Regions, Types and Analysis of Key Players;Research Forecasts to 2027|Takeda Pharmaceutical... - July 24th, 2020
- Fun Gifts For Technology Lovers--Any Time Of Year! - knue.com - July 24th, 2020
- Zolmitriptan Market Size, Growth Trends, Top Players, Application Potential and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- Revolutionising the coffee industry - New Food - July 21st, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026... - July 20th, 2020
- USANA (USNA) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance UK - July 20th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Nootropics Manufacturers Profiles, Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up... - July 15th, 2020
- Smart Pills Technology Market Thriving Growth Over Forecast 2020 with Leading Players Proteus Digital Health, Chongqing Jinshan Science &... - July 11th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 11th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Nootropics Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth 2027 with Top Key Players Company1, Company2, Company3, Company4, etc -... - July 11th, 2020
- Global Nootropics Market Set To Grow At Healthy CAGR Forecast By 2027 With Top Key Players Like Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, Cephalon A/S,... - July 11th, 2020
- Simple ways to release workplace stress - Daily Pioneer - July 11th, 2020
- KOIOS nootropic beverages to be distributed through KeHE - food in canada - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 21st, 2020
- Nootropics Market is Expected to Thrive at Impressive CAGR by 2026 & Top Key Players are Accelerated Intelligence Inc., Onnit Labs, Inc., Peak... - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 18th, 2020
- Need a Boost Working From Home? These Clinically Approved Supplements Can Help. - Greenwich Time - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Key Players, SWOT Analysis, Dynamics, Drivers, Key Indicators and Forecast to 2026 - Personal Injury Bureau UK - June 18th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Segmentation, Application, Technology, Analysis Research Report and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Analysis by Size, Share, Top Key Manufacturers, Demand Overview, Regional Outlook And Growth Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - April 27th, 2020
- Nootropics Market Overview, Top Companies, Region, Application and Global Forecast by 2026 - Latest Herald - April 27th, 2020
- 50,000 Entrepreneurs Tell Us How to Avoid Stress and Anxiety - Entrepreneur - April 27th, 2020
- 3 Tested Ways to Achieve High Work Performance and Deep Thinking - Entrepreneur - March 21st, 2020
- Crownhealth, The Premium Vegan Sports Nutrition Producer, Is Proud to Announce the Launch of Their New Organic Energy and Protein Bars - Yahoo Finance - March 21st, 2020
- Polyphenols from grape and blueberry show promise as effective nootropic ingredients - NutraIngredients-usa.com - March 21st, 2020
- Why the New Right Loves Nootropics - The New Republic - March 15th, 2020
- Nootropics Brain Supplements Market Size Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures with Forecasts Growth By 2024 - 3rd Watch News - March 15th, 2020
- How The Rich Are Protecting Themselves Against Coronavirus - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- Sponsored content: Vitafoods Europe 2020 set to drive the global nutraceutical industry forward in the new decade - Nutritional Outlook - March 7th, 2020
- Brain health: The next big trend in functional beverages? - FoodNavigator-USA.com - February 29th, 2020
- 7 Nootropics That Combat Daytime Sleepiness and Boost Energy - The Crypto Coin Discovery - February 29th, 2020
- Would you try hacking your brain to perform better? - VOGUE India - February 29th, 2020
- Artists Mine Data and the Mostly Chilling Implications of AI in 'Uncanny Valley' - KQED - February 29th, 2020
- NOOTROPIC FOODS TO BOOST THE MEMORY DURING EXAMINATION - NewsPatrolling - February 29th, 2020
- Nootropics Expert | The Authority on Nootropic Supplements - January 25th, 2020
- How To Hack Your Brain - Top 6 Nootropics - January 25th, 2020
- Sleep cages and ice baths: The extreme lifestyle of local biohackers - Minneapolis Star Tribune - January 25th, 2020
- Koios canned nootropic drink to be sold in over 10,000 retail locations by 2020 - BeverageDaily.com - December 13th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market To Witness a Healthy Growth During 2020 To 2029 - Trade Examiner - December 13th, 2019
- This drink has the benefits of alcohol, without the hangover - Yahoo Finance - December 13th, 2019
- Nootropics Market: Rapid Increase In The Application Predict By 2029 - True Version - December 13th, 2019
- Flexitarianism may save the planet -- but it's killed the traditional European diet - FoodNavigator.com - December 13th, 2019
- Tracks of the week reviewed: Lauryn Hill, Grimes, Pet Shop Boys - The Guardian - November 25th, 2019
- These are the food trends youll see taking over Whole Foods in 2020 - Well+Good - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Will Grow Over USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Market News Network - October 24th, 2019
- Global Nootropics Market Estimated to Reach USD 5959 Million By 2024 - Daily Market Updates - October 1st, 2019
- Magtein Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during the Forecast Period 2019-2029 - The Tribune City - October 1st, 2019
- What killed Adrian Lamo? - Boing Boing - September 21st, 2019
- Latest Report on Nootropics Market Expects an Extensive Growth in ROI of USD 5959 Million By 2024 - News Hours Today - September 21st, 2019
- Biohacking: The Art and Science of Upgrading the Human Being - Interesting Engineering - September 21st, 2019
- Best Nootropics (Smart Drugs) to Unlock Your True Brain - June 3rd, 2019
- What are Nootropics? | Braintropic - June 3rd, 2019
- Nootropics - reddit - April 29th, 2019
- Best Nootropics 2019 (Updated from 2018) Nootropics Expert - April 29th, 2019