Schools have gotten spruced up. Teachers are in their last days of training. All thats left is for students to return, and that will take place on Monday, Aug. 28, when schools open in the Bandera, Medina and Utopia school districts.
While projections are difficult for school officials to make with enrollment still going on, there is an indication that student counts could increase in the countys public school systems this year.
The state Legislature did not drop any financial bombshells on schools like they have in the past, and a few leadership changes have been implemented, leading school officials to anticipate good things for this year.
I think were going to have a great year, said John Walts, who is in his 15thyear as superintendent at the Utopia Independent School District.
Kevin W. Newsom, who was hired in April as the new superintendent for the Medina Independent School District, said quality teachers were found to fill staff openings in the district, and everyone has been working hard to get ready for the new year.
If youre a parent here, you have to be excited about the excitement you see in our teachers, said Newsom.
A key staff change in the Medina district was the hiring of Janell Murff as the elementary principal in the district. Last year, the district had one principal overseeing both the elementary and secondary schools, but now, each school has its own principal.
A new principal also has been appointed for the Utopia schools after Ken Mueller, the principal for the last six years, retired. The new principal is Jessica Milam, who had been a counselor in the district.
Superintendent Walts said he expects four more students to enroll in Utopia classes by the time school starts, giving the district 230 students. That would be the largest student count Utopia had seen in many years.
In the Bandera Independent School District, which is the largest in the county with 2,223 students at the end of last year, four, elementary school positions were added for the upcoming year, and Bradley Kinney joined the district as a new assistant high school principal.
Enrollment in the district has grown slightly the last two years, but officials were not certain that growth would continue this year.
The Legislature has placed no new financial demands on the district this year, a spokeswoman for BISD said, so it will continue to take steps to assure that a 21stCentury education is provided all of its students, officials said.
That means that all academic standards are met in core areas while enrichment activities are added to boost regular programing and support services are brought in to narrow skill gaps that exist in schools.
Its efforts paid off last year when the Bandera district earned nine distinction designations for its performance on state assessments, and all of its campuses received a met standards classification from the state, officials said.
I am very proud of our students and staff for this wonderful accomplishment, said Superintendent Regina Howell.
None of the school districts expect that their tax rates will increase this year.
The Medina school district is proposing a $5.95 million bond issue this year that may cause rates to jump slightly in future years, however.
That district also is expanding the dual credit college courses it offers its high school students and hopes to improve the ways it prepares students for the standardized tests they take.
Go here to read the rest:
- Meet new faculty: Katie Adkison and what the Bard tells us about the power of voice - Bates News - October 10th, 2020
- Travis Scott Appears to Hint at New Music: 'Going to Go Cook Up and Build These Walls for Utopia' - Complex - October 10th, 2020
- 'Utopia' is a Pandemic Story That Looks a Lot Like Reality - The Heights - October 10th, 2020
- "Utopia" shows the disheartening problems of pandemic TV - Salon - October 10th, 2020
- Utopia Red Band Trailer - /FILM - September 18th, 2020
- Pandemic thriller Utopia on Amazon might be the perfect viewing - CNET - September 18th, 2020
- The Third Day: everything you need to know about Skys new miniseries - The Guardian - September 18th, 2020
- 4 Films You Need to Watch This Fall - The Atlantic - September 18th, 2020
- Whats on TV This Week: The Emmys, 'The Masked Singer' - Los Angeles Times - September 18th, 2020
- 5 Beauty Trends That Ruled New York Fashion Week - Vogue - September 18th, 2020
- David Byrne and Spike Lee Consider the Oxymoron of "American Utopia" - Hyperallergic - September 18th, 2020
- Netflix's The Social Dilemma fails to tackle the real issues in tech. - Slate - September 18th, 2020
- I never really understand genre: the writer of The Third Day on why he refuses to define his new series - The Guardian - September 18th, 2020
- The Third Day review: Jude Laws inventive mystery drama from the team behind Utopia - NME.com - September 18th, 2020
- Recruiting for Utopia exhibit at Fruitlands looks to the past and the present - Worcester Telegram - September 18th, 2020
- Highlights From a Surreal, Remote Toronto International Film Festival - The Ringer - September 18th, 2020
- Silicon Valley's 'Fatal Flaw'... And How to Avoid It - DailyWealth - September 18th, 2020
- The Housewife Who Was a Spy - The New York Times - September 18th, 2020
- ICYMI: The week's top news in the arts - ArtsHub - September 18th, 2020
- Bill and Ted 3: Here's what you need to know - Metro.co.uk - September 18th, 2020
- Fraser T Smith on going from Britain's most in-demand producer to solo star - British GQ - September 18th, 2020
- Utopia of Asian, Western mythologies comes to Gallery Hyundai - The Korea Herald - September 8th, 2020
- What's New on Amazon in September: The Boys Season 2, Utopia, and More - TV Guide - September 8th, 2020
- What's New to Streaming in September 2020 - rutherfordsource.com - September 8th, 2020
- The 12 Best Fall TV Shows to Keep on Your Radar - ELLE.com - September 8th, 2020
- Mysteries, violence, space invaders and happy pills: Here are 10 new TV shows worth watching this fall - ThePeterboroughExaminer.com - September 8th, 2020
- Raised by Wolves: What REALLY Happened to the Gen-1 Kids? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - September 8th, 2020
- Identity Needs A Solution Capable Of Actually Winning - AdExchanger - September 8th, 2020
- Our 12 Most-Anticipated Premieres at the 2020 Toronto International Film Festival - The Film Stage - September 8th, 2020
- Fall TV Preview 2020: New and Returning Shows to Watch - IGN India - September 8th, 2020
- Touch of Early October - But Minnesota is Getting Off Easy Compared to Much of USA - Minneapolis Star Tribune - September 8th, 2020
- Seattle Writer Nisi Shawl Casts a Spell on the Science Fiction Community - southseattleemerald.com - September 8th, 2020
- David Byrne apologizes for blackface in 1984 Talking Heads video: 'I have changed' - USA TODAY - September 8th, 2020
- Predicting the Future: Marketing science or marketing myth? - CMO - September 8th, 2020
- Letter to the Editor: UTOPIA, THE DREAM OF SOCIALISTS - Valley Roadrunner - August 28th, 2020
- Trailers of the Week: On the Rocks, Time, Utopia, and More - Rolling Stone - August 28th, 2020
- New York Film Festival Sets Spotlight Lineup, With Hopper/Welles, Sofia Coppolas On The Rocks & More - Deadline - August 28th, 2020
- Finding Joy in the Everyday Mundane, Tyler Mitchell's Photographs 'Visualize What a Black Utopia Looks Like, or Could Look Like' - Culture Type - August 28th, 2020
- Watch the trailer for Spike Lee's Film Adaptation of David... - NYSMusic - August 28th, 2020
- When is the Utopia remake on Amazon Prime Video ? - RadioTimes - August 28th, 2020
- Why Bill & Ted Face the Music scrapped its CGI George Carlin cameo - Polygon - August 28th, 2020
- Sofia Coppola's 'On the Rocks' to World Premiere at NY Film Festival - Hollywood Reporter - August 28th, 2020
- LG's New Wearable Air Purifier Is What George Jetson Would Wear in the Bad Timeline - Gizmodo UK - August 28th, 2020
- 20 Must-See Films at the 2020 Venice, Toronto, and New York Film Festivals - IndieWire - August 28th, 2020
- Marvel's New X-Men Are FINALLY Working As A Team | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - August 28th, 2020
- Living with Children: Where we all went wrong - TribLIVE - August 28th, 2020
- Krugman: QAnon is Trump's last, best chance - The Register-Guard - August 28th, 2020
- The best dramas to watch on TV this Autumn, from The Crown to Des - iNews - August 28th, 2020
- A Roundy and a Roundy: Take the Money, Bill! - Streetsblog New York - August 28th, 2020
- Nine Burning Questions About the 2020 Tony Awards - Time Out New York - August 28th, 2020
- The 14 Best New Books of 2020 - Men's Health - August 28th, 2020
- The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Part II: Le Guin's Psychomyths and Those Who Walk Away - tor.com - August 28th, 2020
- Hollywood Was Supposed To Be A Christian Utopia Free From Alcohol, Gambling And Prostitution. How'd That Work Out? - LAist - August 21st, 2020
- Amazons Utopias Biggest Differences From The UK Original (So Far) - Screen Rant - August 21st, 2020
- Bookmark: Missing the State Fair? These books will transport you - Minneapolis Star Tribune - August 21st, 2020
- Our Only Black Moon Of 2020 And A Stargazing Utopia: What To Watch For In The Night Sky This Week - Forbes - August 21st, 2020
- The 'Mother Of Hollywood' Thought The City Was Going To Be A Christian Utopia Free From Alcohol, Gambling And Prostitution - LAist - August 21st, 2020
- Want to Flee the City for Suburbia? Think Again - The New York Times - August 21st, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Make First Appearance Together in Their New Montecito Home - ELLE.com - August 21st, 2020
- HINAPIA disband after 10 months together - Metro.co.uk - August 21st, 2020
- The story behind the debut album from Todd Rundgrens Utopia - Louder - August 21st, 2020
- Flock Theatre stages Aristophanes' 'The Birds' in Westerly - theday.com - August 21st, 2020
- Around the Remote: What not to miss next week - The Union Leader - August 21st, 2020
- World Photography Day: 5 of the year's best photo series - CNN - August 21st, 2020
- The Unbearable: Toward an Antifascist Aesthetic | by Jon Baskin - The New York Review of Books - August 21st, 2020
- Recruiting for Utopia: Print and the Imagination Opens Next Month at Fruitlands Museum - ArtfixDaily - August 10th, 2020
- Utopia: Amazon Preview Shows Some Conspiracy Theories Are Real - Bleeding Cool News - August 10th, 2020
- Hey Look, There Are Some Cars In That New Animated Star Trek Show - Jalopnik - August 10th, 2020
- Comforters Market with Competitive Analysis, New Business Developments and Top Companies: Utopia Bedding, AmazonBasics, Elegant Comfort, Comfort... - August 10th, 2020
- A Furry Utopia is Overrun with Delicately Rendered Cats in Kamwei Fong's New Illustration - Colossal - August 10th, 2020
- Recharge Mind, Body, and Spirit with Utopia this August - Patch.com - August 10th, 2020
- After leaving the center of everything for the middle of nowhere, an Alaska transplant feels right at home - Anchorage Daily News - August 10th, 2020
- Tyler Mitchells first monograph is an ode to Black freedom - Wallpaper* - August 10th, 2020
- Amazon's New Home Essentials Storefront Has Everything You Need to Keep Your Space Organized, Comfy, and Clean - MSN Money - August 10th, 2020
- Books: Five new books to read this week - HeraldScotland - August 10th, 2020
- See the Legendary Todd Rundgren Live at The Wiltern 1/16/21 - mxdwn.com - August 10th, 2020
- For people and the environment, markets achieve what politicians can only promise - washingtonpolicy.org - August 10th, 2020
- Clearfield will be next city to bring UTOPIA Fiber internet to residents - KSL.com - August 9th, 2020
- What if humans weren't the center of every narrative, but instead animals were? - Berkshire Eagle - August 9th, 2020
- Utopia Trailer Features John Cusack alongside Rainn Wilson of The Office and Star Trek: Discoves - World Top Trend - August 9th, 2020