Debilitating diseases such as cancer and osteoarthritis could be identified and treated faster and more effectively, thanks to 1 of 6 projects benefiting from 32 million government funding.
As part of a keynote speech on research and development at London Tech Week 2020, the Science Minister Amanda Solloway will today (Monday 7 September) announce 6 new projects aimed at developing revolutionary new technological approaches that aim to transform care and treatments in the NHS by 2050, helping to improve peoples quality of life as they age.
InlightenUs, led by the University of Edinburgh, will receive 5.4 million to use a combination of artificial intelligence (AI) and infra-red lasers to produce fast, high resolution 3D medical images, helping to identify diseases in patients more quickly.
Working with the universities of Nottingham and Southampton, the new research will initially be developed for use on hospital wards and GP surgeries, and by 2050 aims to scale up to walk through airport style X-Ray scanners, which will be able to pick up detailed images of structures often hidden within the human body that can reveal tumours.
Another of the 6 projects, emPOWER, will be led by researchers at the University of Bristol, and will receive 6 million to develop artificial robotic muscular assistance to help restore strength in people who have lost muscle capability. This could include patients who have suffered a stroke or are living with degenerative diseases such as sarcopenia and muscular dystrophy.
Using these highly targeted robotics will help overcome the limitations of current wearable assistive technology of regenerative medicine. Often, these technologies can be bulky and uncomfortable to wear, and can require 2 people to put on and take off. Users can also find the movements too slow. Through using robots, emPOWER will provide life changing benefits for sufferers, restoring their confidence, independence and quality of life, all while reducing the cost to the NHS.
Ahead of her keynote speech on R&D at London Tech Week, Science Minister Amanda Solloway said:
The pioneering projects we are backing today will help modernise healthcare, improving all of our lives now and into the future.
Todays announcement is part of our ambitious R&D Roadmap and underlines our commitment to back our incredible scientists and researchers and invest in ground-breaking research to keep the UK ahead in cutting-edge discoveries.
The funding is being delivered through the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), part of UK Research and Innovation, through the Transformative Healthcare Technologies for 2050 call.
As part of her speech, Minister Solloway will set out the governments ambitions for research to address significant issues such as advancing healthcare outcomes for patients and ensuring the UK is at the forefront of transformational technologies like artificial intelligence.
It follows the launch of the governments R&D Roadmap in July 2020 which detailed plans to make the UK the best place in the world for scientists and researchers to live and work, building on the governments commitment to increase R&D public spending to 22 billion per year by 2024 to 2025.
Innovation minister Lord Bethell said:
Throughout this global pandemic, the NHS has continued to be there for us all and to treat cancer patients and those living with chronic illness as a priority.
These pioneering new projects will help us further improve care for patients and make life easier for NHS staff, cementing the UKs status as a world leader in research and technology and ultimately saving thousands of lives.
EPSRC Executive Chair, Processor Dame Lynn Gladden, said:
The projects announced today will develop new approaches which could become routine in the NHS and community and home care in the coming decades.
Harnessing the latest technologies and the UKs world-leading expertise will allow us to deliver a step-change in how healthcare is delivered and benefit millions of people, emphasising the critical role the UKs R&D sector plays in improving the health of the nation.
Led by Imperial College London, it will receive 5.5 million to develop a Non-Invasive Single Neuron Electrical Monitoring technology, which when combined with AI will allow researchers to monitor the brain in a way never achieved before. This will help scientists gain a better understanding of neurological diseases such as Parkinsons and Alzheimers. Currently approaches to monitoring the brain are invasive and so this new method would enable new pharmacological and neurotechnology-based treatments to be developed which are far more effective than any current treatments.
Led by Edinburgh Napier University, it will receive 3.2 million, to develop hearing aids designed to autonomously adapt to the nature and quality of their surroundings. Currently only 40% of people who could benefit from hearing aids have them, while most current devices make only limited use of speech enhancement. These hearing aids would be able to adapt to the nature and quality of the visual and acoustic environment around them, resulting in greater intelligibility of noise and potentially reduced listening effort for the listener.
Led by the University of Glasgow, it will receive 5.5 million to develop a project which aims to create a home of the future, providing homeowners with feedback on their health and wellbeing. Bringing clinically approved sensors into the living environment will enable individuals, carers or healthcare professional to monitor blood flow, heart rate and even brain function, in the home. Monitoring physical and emotional well-being in the home will enable tailored programmes to be built for lifestyles improvement, as well as rehabilitation.
Led by Heriot-Watt University, in partnership with the universities of Bath and Edinburgh, it will receive 6.1 million to exploit new laser, optical fibre and imaging technologies, delivering therapy for bacterial diseases and viruses in confined regions of the body such as the lungs, catheters inserted into the body for prolonged periods and areas of the body that have been subject to surgical procedures. The platform will be able to cut out single cells leaving the cells around it undamaged in cancer surgery, aiming to offer a cure for currently unresectable tumours tumours that are too close to critical structures and cannot be cut away safely with current approaches.
The Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), in collaboration with the Medical Research Council, will shortly be inviting proposals for adventurous projects as part of the second phase of the Transformative Healthcare Technologies for 2050 call.
This call will target projects that that are guided by a longer-term vision to pursue new, high risk high reward ideas and develop thinking and approaches supported by the next generation of underpinning science, engineering and emerging technologies in the healthcare space. We seek and encourage adventurous ideas, new thinking and collaborations that have the potential to significantly improve healthcare delivery by 2050. Read further details.
- Voice Biometrics Technology Market: Year 2021-2028 and its Detail Analysis by Focusing on Top Key Players like 3M Cogent, NEC Corporation of America,... - July 12th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market Will Generate Revenue, Opportunity and Huge Sales Near Future 2021-2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 12th, 2021
- Image Recognition AI Camera Market Business Strategies and Opportunities, Challenges with Top Trending Key Players || Catchoom, Honeywell... - July 12th, 2021
- JAMA Highlights Success of BrainScope's EEG-based Concussion Index As Reliable Indicator of Concussion - Herald-Mail Media - February 17th, 2021
- The benefits and risks of neural interfaces - Bangkok Post - February 17th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 3rd, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends by Manufacturers, States, Type and Application, Forecast to 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- Neurotech Bill Introduced in Both Senate and House of Representatives - Epilepsy Foundation - September 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market Revenue to Witness Steady Growth Through 2025 - Industry Today - September 8th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Share, Size, Status, Manufactures, Growth and Forecast 2020-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- AI X-ray scanner and robotic muscles could be adopted by NHS - E&T Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker to participate in the Morgan Stanley 18th Annual Virtual Global Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker's AxSOS 3 Ankle Fusion System Offers Innovative Plates That Are Designed to Fit a Range of Patients - BioSpace - September 8th, 2020
- Arctop Launches New State-of-the-Art Brain Decoding Technology: Neuos Eureka - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Facial Recognition Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 -... - August 10th, 2020
- Neurolief Awarded Breakthrough Device Designation from FDA for Wearable Technology to Address Major Depression - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Brave users of Elon Musks Neuralink brain implants could be HACKED by crooks in future, cyber-experts sugge - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - August 9th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on 3D Reconstruction Technology Market has Huge Growth in Industry | Neurotechnology, Vi3dim, Phenom-World - Levee Report - August 8th, 2020
- Soon, your brain will be connected to a computer. Can we stop hackers breaking in? - ZDNet - August 8th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication, providing a new option for patients with aneurysms in the back of the brain -... - August 6th, 2020
- Demand for Facial Recognition Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Aware Inc, NEC Corporation -... - August 6th, 2020
- New #BlackInNeuro Campaign Connects Bright Minds From Around The World - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Indian School Of Media: 70 EMG Founder Martin Da Costa speaks about his journey and events in the post-covid age. - Animation Xpress - August 6th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Research Report by Type, by Computing, by Vertical, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - August 6th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Surpass Estimates - Yahoo! Voices - August 3rd, 2020
- Top Shorts In The Last Eight Years That Paid Off Big Time - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Life Lived On Screen: Philosophical, Poetic, and Political Observations - lareviewofbooks - August 3rd, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SYK.N earnings conference call or presentation 30-Jul-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020, Industry Overview by Current-Status, Advancements, Top Trends, Challenges, Investment, Strong Development and Forecast... - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Will Be Vastly Smarter Than Humans Within Five Years, Says Tech Billionaire Elon Musk - Swarajya - July 31st, 2020
- How Neurotechnology Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies... - July 30th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Market... - July 30th, 2020
- Ti'Air Riggins: Prolonging the function of brain implants - MSUToday - July 30th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2025 Real Time Analysis & Forecast of COVID 19 Impact on Top Manufacturers: 3M Cogent (USA), NEC... - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size, Share Growth, Trend, Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Neurology Devices Market Outlook To 2026 - Business Opportunity and Technological Innovations - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2028 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Global Facial Recognition Software Market Report 2020 with Industry Positioning of Key Vendors & COVID-19 Impact Analysis : Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 29th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys... - July 29th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market is Expected To Thrive At Impressive CAGR By 2025 NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 27th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Current Trends, SWOT Analysis, Business Overview and Forecast by 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 27th, 2020
- Global Neurosurgery Market 2020 Expected to Reach Highest CAGR During COVID 19 crisis ,Share Growth, Trends, Devices, Applications, Competitive... - July 27th, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 26th, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 25th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- I Am Therefore I Am Wrong - Dr. Howard Rankin on Recovery Now with Kim Justus - BlogTalkRadio - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- What is NeuroTechnology? | NeuroTechnology and Hearing Loss - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Outlook, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast To 2020-2025 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- 2020 to 2026 Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Research Analysis Report with 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys Biometrics... - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Facial Recognition Market by Component (Software Tools and Services), Vertical (BFSI, Government & Defense, Retail &... - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Analysis by Current Status & Target Audience and Forecast to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - July 16th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Therapy Market 2020 2023: Company Profiles, COVID 19 Outbreak, Regional Study, Emerging Technologies, Business Trends, Industry... - July 16th, 2020
- Elon Musk to release progress update on Neuralink brain chip on August 28 - Inceptive Mind - July 13th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Key Drivers, Business Insights, Trends And Forecast To 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 13th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Jewish... - July 13th, 2020
- Clinicians find encouraging results from functional MR in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Neuralinks capability to cure mental illness is great and terrifying - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Encouraging results from functional MRI in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - Science Codex - July 11th, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market: Deep Analysis by Production Overview and Insights 2018 - Market Research Publicist - July 11th, 2020
- Humans 'prick' their ears up just like cats and dogs when they hear interesting sounds, scientists find - Telegraph.co.uk - July 11th, 2020
- Face Recognition Software Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Owned - July 11th, 2020
- Trending: Neurotechnology Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of... - June 21st, 2020
- Growth of Facial Recognition Technology Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - WorldsTrend - June 21st, 2020
- Meet 10 Companies Working On Reading Your Thoughts (And Even Those Of Your Pets) - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation Breakthrough Suggests Route To Therapies for Arthritis, Heart Failure - Technology Networks - June 18th, 2020
- 2020 Judges, FAQ, and Nominations - MIT Technology Review - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025... - June 18th, 2020
- Read Only Memories: Neurodiver Gets PS4, Xbox One, And PC Release Window - Noisy Pixel - June 18th, 2020
- Partnership brings together education and diagnostic tool on concussion - Med-Tech Innovation - May 19th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Report 2020 Industry Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Sales Revenue, Business Strategies, Key Countries Analysis by Leading... - May 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology overview: Why we need a treaty to regulate weapons controlled by thinking - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - May 3rd, 2020
- NeuroOne Medical Technologies Corp. Appoints Vanessa Tolosa to Scientific Advisory Board: Leading Researcher in Neurotech to Guide Further Development... - May 3rd, 2020