A new paper provides timely evidence to explain the therapeutic benefits of vagal nerve stimulation(VNS), a nervous system-modifying treatment that proponents say could offer relief to patients with lupus, arthritis and even heart failure.
Its a prospect that sounds too good to be true. One 20-minute outpatient surgery could lead to relief from epilepsy, depression, arthritis, heart failure and lupus. Thats the ultimate promise of VNSn, a technique that has accrued interest from enthusiastic startups and major biopharma firms alike.
Importantly, it has also accrued some convincing evidence to back up at least some of its claims VNS has been approved by the FDA as a therapy for treatment-resistant depression and epilepsy. As of 2015, 100,000 people worldwide had received a VNS implant.
But large gaps remain in our understanding of how VNS works. One of those gaps has now been plugged with the publication of a paper investigating how a technique called anodal block works to allow targeted stimulation during VNS. The research team behind the paper, led by Dr Stavros Zanos, have published their work in Scientific Reports.
VNS involves implanting electrodes on the vagal nerve near the carotid artery in the neck. The vagal nerve is in charge of routing signals between the brain and the peripheral organs. As Zanos, an assistant professor in the Institute of Bioelectronic Medicine at the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research, explains, this means it is a uniquely attractive target for neurotechnology. This is primarily the nerve that the brain uses to convey information to the organs and change the way they function. And also, it's the main nerve through which information about the function of the organs is conveyed back into the brain. Because it's such an important nerve for ongoing physiology, it's a very attractive target for neuromodulation, says Zanos.
During VNS implantation, a pair of electrodes is attached to the vagus nerve. Depending on the electrode polarity, signals to or from the brain are stimulated or blocked when the VNS device is activated.
But the nervous system is a little more complicated than a two-lane highway. Nerve fibers sending signals in different directions exist within these larger bundles. Getting the level of stimulation right to ensure therapeutic benefit is of central importance, but is currently done quite crudely, Zanos tells me: The way VNS is done clinically is by increasing intensity. The healthcare provider changes some parameters, most notably the intensity, until the patient starts getting some side effects. Typically, those side effects have to do with contraction of the laryngeal muscles, so it causes coughing, and voice hoarseness.
This is far from optimal, and Zanos says that fine-tuning the approach is a priority. If we wanted to deliver an individualized therapy, we would have to know exactly how we're affecting the physiology of a specific individual, he says.
Anodal block is a central tenet of the current surgical procedure. The precise placement of the VNS electrodes can limit nerve conduction in the fibers under the positively charged anode back in the simplified highway example, this is the equivalent of setting up a tollbooth for traffic going in one direction the flow is slowed, if not stopped. But evidence that anodal block works this way in practice was sorely lacking from the wider literature. Would it be possible to find a biomarker, Zanos wondered, that could show that anodal block works as intended?Zanos and his team investigated this possibility by carrying out experiments with rats. Firstly, they needed to see what would happen when electrical impulses up and down the vagus highway were stopped entirely. The rodents had VNS devices implanted, and then had their vagus nerve cut either above or below the implant completely ending any vagus electrical stimulation towards the brain or the peripheral organs, respectively.
Zanos team noticed a consistent marker. Rats with intact vagus nerves showed a heavy reduction in their breathing and heart rates. When the same rats had their vagus nerve severed near the brain, the rats breathing rates returned to normal whilst the heart rate remained low. Severing the nerve nearer to the body had the opposite effect.
This told Zanos team that:
With these easy-to-measure markers identified, the next step was to work out whether breathing and heart rate were consistently affected by anodal block.The theories behind anodal block suggested that if the anode polarity was towards the brain, then the VNS devices effects on breathing rate would be reduced. Anode polarity facing the body would impair the effects on heart rate.
Whilst the same drastic changes seen in the first experiment were not present the rats in this group had intact vagus nerves, so signals still traveled both ways Zanos noted that their results supported the theories around anode block in a large number of the rats studied.
Importantly, these results werent consistent across all the rats studied. Three rats actually showed reversed effects. This paradox, says Zanos, is likely to be explained by the stimulation of the nearby aortic depressor nerve by the VNS. This unintended stimulation hasnt proved an issue in human VNS studies, so is likely to be a quirk only seen in certain rodents.
Even if the inconsistent data has an explanation, the study still highlights that the mechanisms behind VNS would be much easier to understand if those individual types of nerve fiber could be better identified. Zanos says this will be the target of an upcoming paper that should advance understanding in the area further. In the upcoming paper, says Stavros, We look at even finer relationships between some of these biomarkers; heart rate, breathing rate, but also additional biomarkers with the activation of specific fiber types.
Zanos suggests his teams data supports the idea that anodal block can make VNS more directional and targeted. But there is obviously more research to be done to support our understanding of why VNS works. This, says Zanos, could lead to the technique meeting its potential sooner than we might think. He highlights two US-based companies, LivaNova and Set Point Medical, who are investigating VNS for heart failure and rheumatoid arthritis respectively. My guess is that in the next two or three years at least one of these [companies], based on what I what I see in preliminary reports, will be successful, and VNS will be part of the therapeutic options for physicians for these two diseases.
- Facial Recognition System Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 3rd, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends by Manufacturers, States, Type and Application, Forecast to 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- Neurotech Bill Introduced in Both Senate and House of Representatives - Epilepsy Foundation - September 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market Revenue to Witness Steady Growth Through 2025 - Industry Today - September 8th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Share, Size, Status, Manufactures, Growth and Forecast 2020-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- AI X-ray scanner and robotic muscles could be adopted by NHS - E&T Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker to participate in the Morgan Stanley 18th Annual Virtual Global Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- Walk-through cancer diagnoses and robotics muscles among groundbreaking projects backed by government - GOV.UK - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker's AxSOS 3 Ankle Fusion System Offers Innovative Plates That Are Designed to Fit a Range of Patients - BioSpace - September 8th, 2020
- Arctop Launches New State-of-the-Art Brain Decoding Technology: Neuos Eureka - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Facial Recognition Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 -... - August 10th, 2020
- Neurolief Awarded Breakthrough Device Designation from FDA for Wearable Technology to Address Major Depression - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Brave users of Elon Musks Neuralink brain implants could be HACKED by crooks in future, cyber-experts sugge - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - August 9th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on 3D Reconstruction Technology Market has Huge Growth in Industry | Neurotechnology, Vi3dim, Phenom-World - Levee Report - August 8th, 2020
- Soon, your brain will be connected to a computer. Can we stop hackers breaking in? - ZDNet - August 8th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication, providing a new option for patients with aneurysms in the back of the brain -... - August 6th, 2020
- Demand for Facial Recognition Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Aware Inc, NEC Corporation -... - August 6th, 2020
- New #BlackInNeuro Campaign Connects Bright Minds From Around The World - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Indian School Of Media: 70 EMG Founder Martin Da Costa speaks about his journey and events in the post-covid age. - Animation Xpress - August 6th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Research Report by Type, by Computing, by Vertical, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - August 6th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Surpass Estimates - Yahoo! Voices - August 3rd, 2020
- Top Shorts In The Last Eight Years That Paid Off Big Time - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Life Lived On Screen: Philosophical, Poetic, and Political Observations - lareviewofbooks - August 3rd, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SYK.N earnings conference call or presentation 30-Jul-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020, Industry Overview by Current-Status, Advancements, Top Trends, Challenges, Investment, Strong Development and Forecast... - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Will Be Vastly Smarter Than Humans Within Five Years, Says Tech Billionaire Elon Musk - Swarajya - July 31st, 2020
- How Neurotechnology Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies... - July 30th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Market... - July 30th, 2020
- Ti'Air Riggins: Prolonging the function of brain implants - MSUToday - July 30th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2025 Real Time Analysis & Forecast of COVID 19 Impact on Top Manufacturers: 3M Cogent (USA), NEC... - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size, Share Growth, Trend, Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Neurology Devices Market Outlook To 2026 - Business Opportunity and Technological Innovations - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2028 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Global Facial Recognition Software Market Report 2020 with Industry Positioning of Key Vendors & COVID-19 Impact Analysis : Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 29th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys... - July 29th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market is Expected To Thrive At Impressive CAGR By 2025 NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 27th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Current Trends, SWOT Analysis, Business Overview and Forecast by 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 27th, 2020
- Global Neurosurgery Market 2020 Expected to Reach Highest CAGR During COVID 19 crisis ,Share Growth, Trends, Devices, Applications, Competitive... - July 27th, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 26th, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 25th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- I Am Therefore I Am Wrong - Dr. Howard Rankin on Recovery Now with Kim Justus - BlogTalkRadio - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- What is NeuroTechnology? | NeuroTechnology and Hearing Loss - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Outlook, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast To 2020-2025 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- 2020 to 2026 Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Research Analysis Report with 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys Biometrics... - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Facial Recognition Market by Component (Software Tools and Services), Vertical (BFSI, Government & Defense, Retail &... - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Analysis by Current Status & Target Audience and Forecast to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - July 16th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Therapy Market 2020 2023: Company Profiles, COVID 19 Outbreak, Regional Study, Emerging Technologies, Business Trends, Industry... - July 16th, 2020
- Elon Musk to release progress update on Neuralink brain chip on August 28 - Inceptive Mind - July 13th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Key Drivers, Business Insights, Trends And Forecast To 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 13th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Jewish... - July 13th, 2020
- Clinicians find encouraging results from functional MR in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Neuralinks capability to cure mental illness is great and terrifying - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Encouraging results from functional MRI in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - Science Codex - July 11th, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market: Deep Analysis by Production Overview and Insights 2018 - Market Research Publicist - July 11th, 2020
- Humans 'prick' their ears up just like cats and dogs when they hear interesting sounds, scientists find - Telegraph.co.uk - July 11th, 2020
- Face Recognition Software Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Owned - July 11th, 2020
- Trending: Neurotechnology Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of... - June 21st, 2020
- Growth of Facial Recognition Technology Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - WorldsTrend - June 21st, 2020
- Meet 10 Companies Working On Reading Your Thoughts (And Even Those Of Your Pets) - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- 2020 Judges, FAQ, and Nominations - MIT Technology Review - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025... - June 18th, 2020
- Read Only Memories: Neurodiver Gets PS4, Xbox One, And PC Release Window - Noisy Pixel - June 18th, 2020
- Partnership brings together education and diagnostic tool on concussion - Med-Tech Innovation - May 19th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Report 2020 Industry Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Sales Revenue, Business Strategies, Key Countries Analysis by Leading... - May 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology overview: Why we need a treaty to regulate weapons controlled by thinking - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - May 3rd, 2020
- NeuroOne Medical Technologies Corp. Appoints Vanessa Tolosa to Scientific Advisory Board: Leading Researcher in Neurotech to Guide Further Development... - May 3rd, 2020
- Needham Reaffirms Their Hold Rating on Stryker (SYK) - Smarter Analyst - May 3rd, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q1 Earnings: What's in the Offing? - Yahoo Finance - May 3rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size, Share Growth, Trend, Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Latest Herald - May 3rd, 2020
- Stryker beats The Street on Q1 results, warns of significant COVID-19 impact - Mass Device - May 1st, 2020
- Morgan Stanley Maintains Their Buy Rating on Stryker (SYK) - Smarter Analyst - May 1st, 2020