Young Scientist in The Laboratory
If the Covid-19 pandemic has reaffirmed anything about the human condition, its that connectivity matters. Neuroscientists have long understood that being linked to others, interacting with others, and building with others is vital to development, as well as mental, emotional, and physical well-being. But during this same turbulent period in human history weve also been tasked once again with confronting inequities in experiences and representation particularly racial divides around the world. And that includes the education we receive and the work we do.
Currently, Black Americans make up 13% of the population, but estimates by the National Center for Education Statistics of full-time faculty suggestless than 6% of faculty members are Black. And, according to theNational Science Foundation,for more than a decade only about 5% of the 50,000 students earning PhDs each year are Black. What this means is that in everyday situations Black scientists often find themselves to be the only Black person occupying the space they are in. Leaving many feeling isolated and noting they dont have mentors or peers with shared experiences.
So after seeing the way that social media was recently able to connect and network groups of people from all over through hashtag campaigns and efforts to share experiences and interests,a fourth year PhD student at the University of California, Irvine,Angeline Dukes,asked Twitter when they were going to have a Black in Neuro week. But she had no idea the response she would get. Within days a groupof neuroscientists, neuro-engineers, and science communicators mobilized, creating not a day, but an entire week (July 27th-August 2nd) to bring together, celebrate, amplify, and support Black voices in the brain space.
Co-organizer and Stanford postdoctoral fellow,BrielleFerguson, PhD pointed out that, We also cant ignore the social context all of these movements are responding to, were literally watching members of our community either be threatened with violence or being killed for being in spaces people dont think they belong. So, we as members of the Black community, and specifically Black people in neuro were so ready to counter that, and when Angeline tweeted out the call, the answer was a resounding yes from all 22 of us that became organizers, basically in unison.And the result has been beyond anything the organizers could have predicted even with all that brain power.
Beginning Monday,Black In Neurostarted celebrating a week of Black excellence in neuro-related fields. In a matter of days their Twitter account (@BlackInNeuro) has over 12,000 followers, and more than 2,000 people have attended live events. Not to mention that more than 60 individual and institutional donors have become official sponsors. But the most incredible part of all, is that this initiative and all its programming across sites came together in just three weeks proving how eager and passionate neuroscientists are to share their joy for science.
When asked what called her to action, Angeline Dukes said, Growingup, I thought all scientists were old, white men because that's what we see in the media. It is difficult to strive to be what you have never seen. Seeing and being mentored by brilliant Black female scientists at my undergraduate institution, Fisk University, inspired me to apply to graduate school. To this day, they are still a valuable part of my community and reassure me regularly that I belong in neuroscience.
Her sentiment was echoed by other co-organizers such asAshley Cunningham,a neuroscience PhD student at Mount Sinai who added For me, Black In Neuro week has been about redefiningwhat a neuroscientist looks like. We want to show current and future neuroscientists that we are making this space for them, where no one can dull their shine, their intelligence, or their existence. And thats exactly whatDanielle Nadin, a Masters student in Neuroscience at McGill University contends shes gotten from helping to organize. To put it lightly, Black In Neuro Week has changed my life.Its hard to explain the power of seeing people who look like you, and love learning about the brain as much as you do, after having gone for so long feeling as though you would always be the only Black person in the room.
Something else that has made this initiative meaningful is that its broken down barriers not only in terms of race, but also career maturity. Neuroscience is not a field known for cross-sector collaboration or strong partnerships between scientists. But this week undergraduate students, bench scientists, and tenured professors alike have offered up time to share stories, personal journeys, and offered to collaborate with those that they never knew existed.
Adnan Hirad, MD, PhD has been one of those already carving out his valuable time to do calls with younger scientists and aspiring scientists. What the organizers - mostly women - of the #BlackInNeuroWeek platform have done is invaluable. Im immensely grateful. It is already paying dividends in terms of mentoring, sharing ideas, networking and even potential collaborations. Equally important, is that younger students in college or even high school realize there are people that look like them, that are at all stages of the neuroscience knowledge pathway. And we want these younger students to know it is possible to become a neuroscientist, a doctor, or both at the same time. And we are ready to mentor them.
But in addition to building networks and confidence, as well as validating that one isnt alone, its also important to remember thatdiversity drives innovation. Brielle Ferguson reminds us dataconfirms thatdiverse scientists find novel discoveriesat higher rates than their peers - but are still less likely to be rewarded for them, in terms of accolades, and securing faculty positions.
#BlackInNeuro Zoom meeting with team organizers.
Thus, the need for diversity applies not only within our science communities on the human level but also between them. The brain is the most complex organ in the body and arguably the most complex object on earth. Its going to take many different creative minds to begin to unravel its mysteries.D'Angela Pritchett-Rowe,an NIH NAEP Fellow pointed out that, #BlackInNeuroWeek has been extremely validating for me as a Black woman, a neuroscientist, a musician, an artist, and a writer. Someone who is both analytical and creative. This week, especially Thursday #BlackNeuroArt day, showed me that there are so many different intersections of our identities and that none can exist without the other.
And the more connections, the more potential for collaborations of all kinds. Not just here in the U.S., but all over the world because many of the same issues are experienced by Black neuroscientists around the globe.De-Shaine Murray,a Neurotechnology doctoral student at Imperial College London points out, The power of peer support must also be stressed here, as seeing other Black neuroscientists who look like you, encounter the same hurdles as you and feel the same pressures of doing a PhD is rejuvenating, especially in the context of U.K. academia, which has a major diversity problem. But this opportunity has, completely reinvigorated my spirit as we have curated an intercontinental community of support, joy, and resources, saysGwenalle Thomas,a Neurobiology PhD Candidate at Duke University. As the only Black woman in my department, it's easy to feel isolated, especially when people's actions directly contradict their statements on diversity, inclusion, and equity.
But diversity doesn't end with discussions about race for Black In Neuro organizers, according toDr. Kaela S. Singleton, As a Black Queer woman, the beauty of #BlackInNeuroWeek was that it highlighted intersectionalities that are often forgotten in university diversity initiatives. Seeing the amplified voices of Black Disabled, Black Non-Binary, Black trans, Black lesbian/gay folks and Black Women in neuro is so necessary to creating inclusive, welcoming spaces. By being intersectional #BlackInNeuroWeek not only highlighted Blackness but also the beauty and complexity of Black identities in our field.
With three days to go, there is still more for the Black In Neuro team to accomplish. And with each passing day it becomes more evident that their efforts will certainly extend past the week itself. Not just for those in and around neuroscience, but for the patients they treat and research they conduct. "In all my years of organizing, I have never seen a more dedicated, efficient, and passionate group of people. I have no doubt that the accomplishments of #BlackinNeuro will have lasting impacts on our community for years to come, saysRackeb Tesfaye, aPhD Candidate and BlackInNeuro organizer.
When asked what the group envisionsgoing forward, Angeline says the group hopes to seeBlack people in neuro-related fields from all over the world connect with each other and be recognized. And further, that non-Black people will use the opportunity to connect with Black scientists and medical professionals, invite them for speaking engagements (preferablynot just to talk about 'diversity and inclusion'), nominate them for deserved awards, and recognize how their own research impacts the Black community.
For those looking for everything frommentorshiptofunding opportunitiesto network growth, resources are availableonlineand through the Black In Neuro social media accounts. And, please, continue to use the hashtags, share advice, share your journeys, open your networks, and connect with those in and around #BlackInNeuro so together, we can move science forward.
Read the rest here:
- Voice Biometrics Technology Market: Year 2021-2028 and its Detail Analysis by Focusing on Top Key Players like 3M Cogent, NEC Corporation of America,... - July 12th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market Will Generate Revenue, Opportunity and Huge Sales Near Future 2021-2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 12th, 2021
- Image Recognition AI Camera Market Business Strategies and Opportunities, Challenges with Top Trending Key Players || Catchoom, Honeywell... - July 12th, 2021
- JAMA Highlights Success of BrainScope's EEG-based Concussion Index As Reliable Indicator of Concussion - Herald-Mail Media - February 17th, 2021
- The benefits and risks of neural interfaces - Bangkok Post - February 17th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 3rd, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends by Manufacturers, States, Type and Application, Forecast to 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- Neurotech Bill Introduced in Both Senate and House of Representatives - Epilepsy Foundation - September 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market Revenue to Witness Steady Growth Through 2025 - Industry Today - September 8th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Share, Size, Status, Manufactures, Growth and Forecast 2020-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- AI X-ray scanner and robotic muscles could be adopted by NHS - E&T Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker to participate in the Morgan Stanley 18th Annual Virtual Global Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- Walk-through cancer diagnoses and robotics muscles among groundbreaking projects backed by government - GOV.UK - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker's AxSOS 3 Ankle Fusion System Offers Innovative Plates That Are Designed to Fit a Range of Patients - BioSpace - September 8th, 2020
- Arctop Launches New State-of-the-Art Brain Decoding Technology: Neuos Eureka - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Facial Recognition Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 -... - August 10th, 2020
- Neurolief Awarded Breakthrough Device Designation from FDA for Wearable Technology to Address Major Depression - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Brave users of Elon Musks Neuralink brain implants could be HACKED by crooks in future, cyber-experts sugge - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - August 9th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on 3D Reconstruction Technology Market has Huge Growth in Industry | Neurotechnology, Vi3dim, Phenom-World - Levee Report - August 8th, 2020
- Soon, your brain will be connected to a computer. Can we stop hackers breaking in? - ZDNet - August 8th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication, providing a new option for patients with aneurysms in the back of the brain -... - August 6th, 2020
- Demand for Facial Recognition Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Aware Inc, NEC Corporation -... - August 6th, 2020
- Indian School Of Media: 70 EMG Founder Martin Da Costa speaks about his journey and events in the post-covid age. - Animation Xpress - August 6th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Research Report by Type, by Computing, by Vertical, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - August 6th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Surpass Estimates - Yahoo! Voices - August 3rd, 2020
- Top Shorts In The Last Eight Years That Paid Off Big Time - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Life Lived On Screen: Philosophical, Poetic, and Political Observations - lareviewofbooks - August 3rd, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SYK.N earnings conference call or presentation 30-Jul-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020, Industry Overview by Current-Status, Advancements, Top Trends, Challenges, Investment, Strong Development and Forecast... - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Will Be Vastly Smarter Than Humans Within Five Years, Says Tech Billionaire Elon Musk - Swarajya - July 31st, 2020
- How Neurotechnology Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies... - July 30th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Market... - July 30th, 2020
- Ti'Air Riggins: Prolonging the function of brain implants - MSUToday - July 30th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2025 Real Time Analysis & Forecast of COVID 19 Impact on Top Manufacturers: 3M Cogent (USA), NEC... - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size, Share Growth, Trend, Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Neurology Devices Market Outlook To 2026 - Business Opportunity and Technological Innovations - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2028 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Global Facial Recognition Software Market Report 2020 with Industry Positioning of Key Vendors & COVID-19 Impact Analysis : Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 29th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys... - July 29th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market is Expected To Thrive At Impressive CAGR By 2025 NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 27th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Current Trends, SWOT Analysis, Business Overview and Forecast by 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 27th, 2020
- Global Neurosurgery Market 2020 Expected to Reach Highest CAGR During COVID 19 crisis ,Share Growth, Trends, Devices, Applications, Competitive... - July 27th, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 26th, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 25th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- I Am Therefore I Am Wrong - Dr. Howard Rankin on Recovery Now with Kim Justus - BlogTalkRadio - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- What is NeuroTechnology? | NeuroTechnology and Hearing Loss - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Outlook, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast To 2020-2025 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- 2020 to 2026 Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Research Analysis Report with 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys Biometrics... - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Facial Recognition Market by Component (Software Tools and Services), Vertical (BFSI, Government & Defense, Retail &... - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Analysis by Current Status & Target Audience and Forecast to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - July 16th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Therapy Market 2020 2023: Company Profiles, COVID 19 Outbreak, Regional Study, Emerging Technologies, Business Trends, Industry... - July 16th, 2020
- Elon Musk to release progress update on Neuralink brain chip on August 28 - Inceptive Mind - July 13th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Key Drivers, Business Insights, Trends And Forecast To 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 13th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Jewish... - July 13th, 2020
- Clinicians find encouraging results from functional MR in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Neuralinks capability to cure mental illness is great and terrifying - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Encouraging results from functional MRI in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - Science Codex - July 11th, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market: Deep Analysis by Production Overview and Insights 2018 - Market Research Publicist - July 11th, 2020
- Humans 'prick' their ears up just like cats and dogs when they hear interesting sounds, scientists find - Telegraph.co.uk - July 11th, 2020
- Face Recognition Software Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Owned - July 11th, 2020
- Trending: Neurotechnology Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of... - June 21st, 2020
- Growth of Facial Recognition Technology Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - WorldsTrend - June 21st, 2020
- Meet 10 Companies Working On Reading Your Thoughts (And Even Those Of Your Pets) - Forbes - June 21st, 2020
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation Breakthrough Suggests Route To Therapies for Arthritis, Heart Failure - Technology Networks - June 18th, 2020
- 2020 Judges, FAQ, and Nominations - MIT Technology Review - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025... - June 18th, 2020
- Read Only Memories: Neurodiver Gets PS4, Xbox One, And PC Release Window - Noisy Pixel - June 18th, 2020
- Partnership brings together education and diagnostic tool on concussion - Med-Tech Innovation - May 19th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Report 2020 Industry Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Sales Revenue, Business Strategies, Key Countries Analysis by Leading... - May 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology overview: Why we need a treaty to regulate weapons controlled by thinking - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - May 3rd, 2020
- NeuroOne Medical Technologies Corp. Appoints Vanessa Tolosa to Scientific Advisory Board: Leading Researcher in Neurotech to Guide Further Development... - May 3rd, 2020