Brain-machine interfaces (BMI) and brain-computer interfaces (BCI) are devices that enable direct ... [+] communication between a brain and an external device.
Philosopher John Locke said, I have always thought the actions of men the best interpreters of their thoughts. Locke lived during the Age of Enlightenment. He probably wasnt thinking about human machine actions during his philosophical ponderings. But what does it mean when machine actions are the result of human thoughts? No longer part of science fiction, many would argue that brain-machine and brain-computer interfaces are the next way we will communicate with machines and even with one another.
Brain-machine interfaces (BMI) and brain-computer interfaces (BCI) are devices that enable direct communication between a brain and an external device. BCIs let someone type onto a screen without a keyboard. Brain-machine interfaces make it possible for amputees to move robotic limbs. BCIs can be as intricate as placing devices directly on the brain or via devices that communicate directly to machines without invasive surgery.
This type of technology opens a whole world of business applications. From dangerous jobs that already utilize robots to manufacturing, and even the consumer space. Brain-machine interfaces create a new way for humans to interact with technology, whether it be their smartphones, smart speakers, voice assistants, cars, and even each other. Startups and established companies alike realize the promise of brain-machine interfaces. They are racing to link humans to tech and machines, allowing humans to control digital technology using only their minds, which in turn opens up a whole new world of opportunities for businesses and brands to reach the customer of the future.
Here are 10 companies that are working on connecting our brains or actions to our machines and creating the future of input.
Testing out Neurable at FutureX Live in Atlanta in April 2019.
Neurables mission is very exciting. Ramses Alcaide, founder of Neurable, got the idea for helping people with technology when he was a kid after his uncle lost his legs in a trucking accident. Alcaide said, the idea of developing technology for people who are differently abled has been my big, never-ending quest. Neurable launched onto the brain-computer interface scene in 2017 at SIGGRAPH with a proof of concept BCI game called The Awakening. Users put on a VR headset to escape from a room with only their minds. In December 2019, Neurable raised a $6 million Series A round to develop an everyday consumer based brain-computer interface in the form of headphones.
Alcaide sees neurotechnology built into a pair of headphones as the first step towards a BCI for consumers. Think about stopping, starting, or skipping songs with your mind without ever touching your phone. Interacting with smart devices with just our thoughts through a headphone-like device is impressive enough on its own. For Neurable, its the data behind the interactions that show the real value of BCIs.
Cognitive analytics are, measures of different mental states, especially those aligned with performance. BCI enabled headphones could help a person, enter their desired emotion and then have a customized playlist generated to provoke that response. Not to mention open a whole new world of metrics for marketers, training, health professionals, and a variety of other industries. Alcaide believes computing is going to become more spatial. He said, As it continues to go down that path, we need forms of interaction that enable us to more seamlessly interact with our technology.
MindX believes the next frontier in computing is a direct link from the brain to the digital world. Theyre creating this link by combining neurotechnology, augmented reality and artificial intelligence to create a "look-and-think interface for next-generation spatial computing applications. Part of spatial computing, is being able to interact with computers beyond a two-dimensional screen.
MindX uses smart glasses to create a link between human brains and technology. Julia Brown, MindXs CEO, said smart glasses will let wearers access information with a single thought. Glasses connect to the mind from eye movements. Brain waves signal back what the wearer is thinking and where they are looking. BCI enabled smart glasses opens a world of opportunities for visual search. Think about your lost car keys and the smart glasses can locate them. Wonder what someone is wearing and get the brand and link to places to buy from the glasses - all with a thought.
While some brain-computer interface companies focus on understanding the brain and cognitive metrics, others focus on real-time device control. NextMind, headquartered in Paris, France, uses a non-invasive BMI that translates brain signals instantly from the user's visual cortex into digital commands for any device in real-time. NextMind debuted their device at CES 2020. Visitors to the booth demoed changing channels on a TV with just their thoughts.
Testing the NextMind device at CES 2020 and using thoughts to turn on lights and dim them.
Users wear NextMind on the back of their heads. It creates a symbiotic connection with the digital world by combining neural networks and neural signals. The Next Mind SDK is open to developers. Theyre at a price point that the industry believes consumers are ready for the next phase in computer interaction.
Unboxing Neurosity's Notion developer's kit in January 2020.
Neurositys goal is to help developers get focused faster and stay focused longer. Notion (Neurositys thought-powered computer) has eight sensors as part of an EEG headset. In their demo, a woman scrolls through a recipe on her tablet while cooking. In another, a man changes the lighting in the room with his mind. The Notion brain sensor can be pre-ordered. The device touts its secure design saying, it never stores your brainwaves. Something to look out for in a BCI.
Neurosity launched dev kits in 2019. The Neurosity developer community is one of the signs that brain-computer interfaces have arrived. Developers can write apps for Notions brain sensor, which is developed to do two things: to detect human intent and to quantify the self. Think of it like wearing a fitness tracker for the brain. In April 2020, Neurosity temporarily cut the price of Notion pre-orders to $799 for developers. Neurosity pledges their support to developers interested in helping quantify the human mind even further by making their team available to brainstorm, code, and deploy neuro apps.
Kernel is a neurotechnology company based in Los Angeles, California. Their aim is to create a brain interface that develops real-world applications of high-resolution brain activity. Kernals founder and CEO, Bryan Johnson, believes in a world where people are empowered by technology, not limited by it. He sees neuroscience, specifically Kernals neuroscience as a service (NaaS) as a way to get there. Kernel was featured in I Am Human, a 2020 award-winning documentary about the the scientists and entrepreneurs on a quest to unlock the secrets of the brain.
Kernel created two different experiments with their technology. One is Speller which allows participants to type with only their gaze and a visual keyboard. The other is Sound ID that can decode song IDs based on the brain signals from the listener. These experiments show that with just a helmet, brain scientists can run the same type of experiments as those in labs with room size equipment. With the use of a helmet, brain scientists can study thousands of more people than they can currently. Johnson believes this can help people who have suffered strokes and are unable to speak or those dealing with mental disorders.
There are so many applications when it comes to brain-machine interfaces and neuroscience. Nectomes technology is developed to preserve human memory by studying how the brain physically creates memories. Nectome isnt just creating a BMI for the present. Theyre hoping to change how people preserve the languages, cultures, and wisdom of the past, and how health care engages with individuals memories and personal narratives.
President of Y Combinator, Sam Altman, is one of 25 people who have put down a $10,000 refundable deposit to join a waiting list at Nectome. The only catch is, Nectome needs a living brain to capture the memories. The procedure kills the patient. Nectome planned to test it with terminally ill volunteers in California, which permits doctor-assisted suicide for those patients. Sam said of the procedure, I assume my brain will be uploaded to the cloud. The startup has faced some setbacks but seems to still be in operation.
Eventually, Nectome believes their biological preservation techniques will be like an episode from Amazons Upload TV series. At the end of their life, patients can choose to upload themselves into a digital afterlife.
CRTL-Labs uses non-invasive neural interfaces to expand human bandwidth. CRTL-Labs recreates the 0s and 1s of neurons by listening to muscle twitches. They send the signals into machine learning to decode a persons intention. This network is fed back to the wearer to create a symbiotic relationship. Thomas Reardon, CEO of CRTL-Labs said, AI and Machine Learning can be dominated by us. CRTL-Labs does all of this with a wristband.
Facebooks leadership have talked about a new type of interface that includes work around direct brain interfaces that are going to, eventually, one day, let you communicate using only your mind. In September 2019, they bought CRTL-Labs and have said the following about the acquisition, The goal is to eventually make it so that you can think something and control something in virtual or augmented reality.
Neuralink is a company owned by none other than Elon Musk. The man who made electric cars cool (Tesla) and sends astronauts to space is his own spacecraft (SpaceX) also wants to connect humans to machines. Neuralink takes a slightly different approach to brain-machine interfaces by placing threads into the brain. Elon Musk wants his brain implants to stop humans being outpaced by artificial intelligence.
Neuralink threads are connected to a 4mm chip called the N1. The chips are placed close to important parts of the brain and are able to detect messages as they are relayed between neurons, recording each impulse and stimulating their own. The chip connects to a wireless device worn over the ear which is Bluetooth enabled. Currently, the chip is placed via traditional brain surgery but Musk envisions the chip will be inserted virtually painlessly in the future. Applications for the Neuralink are endless - from treating neurological disorders to replacing language, and eventually turning humans into cyborgs.
Paradromics developed brain-computer interface technology to help those disconnected from the world by mental illness, paralysis, or other types of brain disorders. Paradromics believes they can meet medical challenges with technical solutions. That is, a high-data rate brain-computer interface. Similar to the Neuralink, Paradromics places electrode arrays on the brain. They do this with a computer chip that plugs into a part of the brain called the cortex. With Paradromics technology, mental disorders and injuries no longer have to be debilitating. They can connect those affected back to the world.
Brain-computer interfaces arent just for people. Zoolingua, owned by Con Slobodchikoff, wants people to understand dogs. Their device will allow both dog and human to communicate in both directions. The translating dog collar from the movie UP is coming to real life. Zoolingua bases their technology on research. Observing (through video) dog vocalizations and behavior in specific contexts; classifying the complex forms of communication that occur; and working with computer programs to effectively and accurately decode and translate into US-English.
According to an Amazon report, advances in AI and machine learning will enable companies to make devices that can accurately translate a cats meows and a dogs barks into English. William Higham, co-author of the report, believes devices that can talk dog could be less than 10 years away.
All these companies are working on the future of input.
Separate from Zoolingua, another example of someone working on decoding Fidos thoughts is Dr. Gregory Berns from Emory University. He is a neuroscientist whos also interested in what dogs think. Dr. Berns developed a go/no-go test to scan dog brains in M.R.I machines. The results show dogs use corresponding parts of their brain to solve similar tasks as people do. This isnt something seen in non-primates before.
Neuroscience technology is a quickly developing field. Its one with endless applications for understanding the brain, unlocking human potential, and preserving todays minds for the future. Some of the companies listed above are working towards specific use cases. Some use direct-brain sensors while others use non-invasive devices.
What each brain-machine interface company has in common is that they see the world as a connected place. Its going to become even more so. The future of computing is beyond two-dimensional interactions. Its more than voice, facial recognition, artificial intelligence, and augmented reality.
Its all these things coming together under the power of the human brain.
- Voice Biometrics Technology Market: Year 2021-2028 and its Detail Analysis by Focusing on Top Key Players like 3M Cogent, NEC Corporation of America,... - July 12th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market Will Generate Revenue, Opportunity and Huge Sales Near Future 2021-2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 12th, 2021
- Image Recognition AI Camera Market Business Strategies and Opportunities, Challenges with Top Trending Key Players || Catchoom, Honeywell... - July 12th, 2021
- JAMA Highlights Success of BrainScope's EEG-based Concussion Index As Reliable Indicator of Concussion - Herald-Mail Media - February 17th, 2021
- The benefits and risks of neural interfaces - Bangkok Post - February 17th, 2021
- Facial Recognition System Market to Witness Robust Expansion Throughout the Forecast Period 2018-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 3rd, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Trends by Manufacturers, States, Type and Application, Forecast to 2020 2030 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- Neurotech Bill Introduced in Both Senate and House of Representatives - Epilepsy Foundation - September 8th, 2020
- Global Neurotechnology Market Revenue to Witness Steady Growth Through 2025 - Industry Today - September 8th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Share, Size, Status, Manufactures, Growth and Forecast 2020-2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 8th, 2020
- AI X-ray scanner and robotic muscles could be adopted by NHS - E&T Magazine - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker to participate in the Morgan Stanley 18th Annual Virtual Global Healthcare Conference - Yahoo Finance - September 8th, 2020
- Walk-through cancer diagnoses and robotics muscles among groundbreaking projects backed by government - GOV.UK - September 8th, 2020
- Stryker's AxSOS 3 Ankle Fusion System Offers Innovative Plates That Are Designed to Fit a Range of Patients - BioSpace - September 8th, 2020
- Arctop Launches New State-of-the-Art Brain Decoding Technology: Neuos Eureka - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Facial Recognition Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 -... - August 10th, 2020
- Neurolief Awarded Breakthrough Device Designation from FDA for Wearable Technology to Address Major Depression - Business Wire - August 10th, 2020
- Brave users of Elon Musks Neuralink brain implants could be HACKED by crooks in future, cyber-experts sugge - The Sun - August 10th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - August 9th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on 3D Reconstruction Technology Market has Huge Growth in Industry | Neurotechnology, Vi3dim, Phenom-World - Levee Report - August 8th, 2020
- Soon, your brain will be connected to a computer. Can we stop hackers breaking in? - ZDNet - August 8th, 2020
- Stryker's Neuroform Atlas Stent System granted an expanded indication, providing a new option for patients with aneurysms in the back of the brain -... - August 6th, 2020
- Demand for Facial Recognition Market to Experience a Significant Dip in 2020, Influenced by COVID-19 Pandemic 2020-2029 | Aware Inc, NEC Corporation -... - August 6th, 2020
- New #BlackInNeuro Campaign Connects Bright Minds From Around The World - Forbes - August 6th, 2020
- Indian School Of Media: 70 EMG Founder Martin Da Costa speaks about his journey and events in the post-covid age. - Animation Xpress - August 6th, 2020
- Face Recognition Market Research Report by Type, by Computing, by Vertical, by Application - Global Forecast to 2025 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19 -... - August 6th, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) Q2 Earnings and Revenues Surpass Estimates - Yahoo! Voices - August 3rd, 2020
- Top Shorts In The Last Eight Years That Paid Off Big Time - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Stryker (SYK) to Report Q2 Earnings: What's in the Cards? - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Life Lived On Screen: Philosophical, Poetic, and Political Observations - lareviewofbooks - August 3rd, 2020
- Edited Transcript of SYK.N earnings conference call or presentation 30-Jul-20 8:30pm GMT - Yahoo Finance - August 3rd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020, Industry Overview by Current-Status, Advancements, Top Trends, Challenges, Investment, Strong Development and Forecast... - July 31st, 2020
- Artificial Intelligence Will Be Vastly Smarter Than Humans Within Five Years, Says Tech Billionaire Elon Musk - Swarajya - July 31st, 2020
- How Neurotechnology Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And Strategies... - July 30th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Market... - July 30th, 2020
- Ti'Air Riggins: Prolonging the function of brain implants - MSUToday - July 30th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2025 Real Time Analysis & Forecast of COVID 19 Impact on Top Manufacturers: 3M Cogent (USA), NEC... - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size, Share Growth, Trend, Industry Analysis and Forecast to 2025 - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Neurology Devices Market Outlook To 2026 - Business Opportunity and Technological Innovations - Market Research Posts - July 30th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Global Production, Growth, Share, Demand and Applications Forecast to 2028 - Market Research Posts - July 29th, 2020
- Global Facial Recognition Software Market Report 2020 with Industry Positioning of Key Vendors & COVID-19 Impact Analysis : Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 29th, 2020
- Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys... - July 29th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market is Expected To Thrive At Impressive CAGR By 2025 NEC Corporation, Aware, Inc., Ayonix Corporation, Cognitec Systems GmbH,... - July 27th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Current Trends, SWOT Analysis, Business Overview and Forecast by 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 27th, 2020
- Global Neurosurgery Market 2020 Expected to Reach Highest CAGR During COVID 19 crisis ,Share Growth, Trends, Devices, Applications, Competitive... - July 27th, 2020
- Global and Country Specific Neural Control Market Report 2020 Forecast, Opportunities and Strategies To 2027: COVID 19 Impact and Recovery Top Key... - July 26th, 2020
- NASA warns of a massive asteroid bigger than the famous London Eye approaching Earth on July 24 - Business Insider India - July 25th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market Poised to Grow at a Healthy CAGR of XX% During the Forecast Period 2017 2025 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- Fingerprint Biometrics In The VAR Market 2020 by Innovations, New Technology And Research- Fulcrum Biometrics, Neurotechnology, 360 Biometrics,... - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2025: Research By Top Manufacturers with Market Size,Market Growth, Competitive Regions with Opportunities in Industry -... - July 22nd, 2020
- Neurosurgery Market Growth, Analysis, Regions and Type by 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 22nd, 2020
- I Am Therefore I Am Wrong - Dr. Howard Rankin on Recovery Now with Kim Justus - BlogTalkRadio - July 22nd, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market 2020 Size By Product Types, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Growth Potential, Price Trends And Forecast To 2025 - Cole of Duty - July 21st, 2020
- What is NeuroTechnology? | NeuroTechnology and Hearing Loss - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Outlook, Growth, Trends, Analysis And Forecast To 2020-2025 - Jewish Life News - July 21st, 2020
- 2020 to 2026 Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market Research Analysis Report with 3M Cogent (USA), NEC Corporation of America (USA), AcSys Biometrics... - July 21st, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Facial Recognition Market by Component (Software Tools and Services), Vertical (BFSI, Government & Defense, Retail &... - July 21st, 2020
- The FINANCIAL - Neuralink chip will stream music into your brain - The FINANCIAL - July 21st, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market Analysis by Current Status & Target Audience and Forecast to 2027 - 3rd Watch News - July 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology Market: Qualitative Analysis of the Leading Players and Competitive Industry Scenario, 2025 - Express Journal - July 16th, 2020
- Virtual Reality in Therapy Market 2020 2023: Company Profiles, COVID 19 Outbreak, Regional Study, Emerging Technologies, Business Trends, Industry... - July 16th, 2020
- Elon Musk to release progress update on Neuralink brain chip on August 28 - Inceptive Mind - July 13th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Technology Market Key Drivers, Business Insights, Trends And Forecast To 2028 - Jewish Life News - July 13th, 2020
- MOBILE BIOMETRICS MARKET TRENDS, TECHNOLOGY AND FORECAST | BY TOP COMPANIES APPLE INC.; IDEMIA; NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.; NEC CORPORATION - Jewish... - July 13th, 2020
- Clinicians find encouraging results from functional MR in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - DOTmed HealthCare Business News - July 13th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Neuralinks capability to cure mental illness is great and terrifying - Republic World - Republic World - July 11th, 2020
- Encouraging results from functional MRI in an unresponsive patient with COVID-19 - Science Codex - July 11th, 2020
- Facial Recognition System Market: Deep Analysis by Production Overview and Insights 2018 - Market Research Publicist - July 11th, 2020
- Humans 'prick' their ears up just like cats and dogs when they hear interesting sounds, scientists find - Telegraph.co.uk - July 11th, 2020
- Face Recognition Software Market Share, Growth, Statistics, By Application, Production, Revenue & Forecast To 2026 - Owned - July 11th, 2020
- Trending: Neurotechnology Market 2020- Analysis And In-Depth Research On Market Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors And Forecast To 2026 - Cole of... - June 21st, 2020
- Growth of Facial Recognition Technology Market has been derived from the growing CAGR 2020-2028 - WorldsTrend - June 21st, 2020
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation Breakthrough Suggests Route To Therapies for Arthritis, Heart Failure - Technology Networks - June 18th, 2020
- 2020 Judges, FAQ, and Nominations - MIT Technology Review - June 18th, 2020
- Impact of COVID-19 Outbreak on Global Face and Voice Biometrics Market 2020 Industry Size, Advancement Strategy, Top Players, SWOT Analysis and 2025... - June 18th, 2020
- Read Only Memories: Neurodiver Gets PS4, Xbox One, And PC Release Window - Noisy Pixel - June 18th, 2020
- Partnership brings together education and diagnostic tool on concussion - Med-Tech Innovation - May 19th, 2020
- Facial Recognition Market Report 2020 Industry Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Sales Revenue, Business Strategies, Key Countries Analysis by Leading... - May 19th, 2020
- Neurotechnology overview: Why we need a treaty to regulate weapons controlled by thinking - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists - May 3rd, 2020
- NeuroOne Medical Technologies Corp. Appoints Vanessa Tolosa to Scientific Advisory Board: Leading Researcher in Neurotech to Guide Further Development... - May 3rd, 2020