Two years ago, Omid Farokhzad left his prominent nano-medicine lab at Bostons Brigham and Womens Hospital and moved across the country to found a startup off technology that, he said, could change the field of proteomics and, with it, parts of medicine, agriculture and a range of fields.
Today, Farokhzad has finally revealed what that technology is. In aNature Communicationspaper, he showed how his company, Seer, and their lead product, called the Proteograph, can use nanoparticles to analyze the protein compositions in a single blood sample, like a fishing net webbing the contents of a particular swath of sea. Or to use the companys preferred metaphor like a sequencing machine reading out the base pairs on a particular strand of DNA.
Alongside the publication, Seer also announced a new $55 million round to help launch the product, bringing its total financing to over $150 million.
We now enable what was previously not possible, Farokhzad toldEndpoints News.Today about every 25 seconds, someone [can] sequence anothers human genome. This technology allows you to begin to interrogate the human proteome in an unbiased way, deep, in speed and scale.
Its a bold talk for a field full of it, although its now at least burnished by peer-reviewed data something that cannot be said for all of Seers competitors. The proteome has long been a source of fascination for scientists, for the simple fact that were built of proteins, and changes in the concentration or shape of proteins are what ultimately underlie changes in function and disease.
The problem is that its far harder to get a complete picture of someones proteins than it is of their genes. Genes are comparatively simple: 4 base pairs, each of which can only bind in one direction. Proteins can be made of up to 20 amino acids that bind in myriad ways. They can also change after translation. The technological or computing power simply did not exist to analyze all of them at a rate comparable to how researchers can analyze genes.
Thats changed to a degree in recent years. Several companies have popped up, most notably SomaLogic, offering to screen peoples blood for a limited set of proteins data have indicated correlates with disease. Researchers also have techniques to map out every protein in a blood sample, but it can take months.
Seer claims to be able to do screening in a fast and unbiased way, similar to how we can now analyze genes a quick and complete picture. A new company, called Nautlius, launched this year with over $100 million from prominent tech funds with a similar promise, but they are earlier stage and have yet to disclose their tech. And everyone is comparing themselves to Illumina, the $60 billion sequencing giant, which itself has a proteomics division.
The key variable that next-gen sequencing and in particular that Illumina technology changed was the ability to access the genome or the transcriptome in an unbiased, deep way, rapidly and at scale, Omead Ostadan, a former Illumina executive who was recently named Seers COO and president, told Endpoints. With Seers proteomics tech, you enable enormous depth and breadth analogous to the biologic insight that emerged when you could [first] access genomic information.
Seer has developed over 250 nanoparticles for its Proteograph. These different particles, when put in the blood, attract different proteins that bond to chemical groups on the surface, forming a corona, or a kind of molecular halo around the protein. Other proteins then bind to those proteins and so on. Not every nanoparticle will bind to every protein, but if you put in enough, the different coronas will give a kind of picture both of what proteins exist and if those proteins have changed shape.
As a proof of concept, the company looked at samples from early-stage non-small cell lung cancer patients and found proteins that correlated with disease.
This kind of analysis, Farokhzad said, could be used to diagnose patients early a goal shared by well-backed liquid biopsy companies like GRAIL and Karius. It could also, he said, be used to find new proteins associated with cancer, and those proteins could then become biomarkers or targets for new therapies. There are also applications in agriculture and environmental science.
For now, the company is focused on building new nanoparticles and launching the product next year, before finding new applications. Theyll have to seal partners and buyers, who in turn will be able to say if the product is just as transformational as they claim.
It sounds simple, but having lived through product development and commercialization, theres a lot to do, Ostadan said.
See original here:
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Exclusive mining could have negative implications for the Blockchain industry, say experts - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Reimagining blockchain for healthcare solutions with the MAXathon - Health Europa - September 8th, 2020
- All fintech companies will use blockchain within 10 years: Aussie government report - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- 'Decentralized Reddit' enables users to secure Twitter on the blockchain - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Former Georgian PM: Blockchain is the steam engine of Industry 4.0 - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- How will decentralized blockchain technology evolve in the future? - Gary Skentelbery - September 8th, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 8th, 2020
- Starbucks' Deployment of a Blockchain Network May Show Restaurants the Way to Future Revenue Growth | - Restaurant Technology News - September 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 5th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market : Updates, Future Growth, Industry Analysis And Comprehensive Study On Key Players To 2020 2028 -... - September 5th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Reports... - September 5th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Nanocapsules Market - StartupNG - September 5th, 2020
- NanoViricides is Developing Drugs Against SARS-CoV-2 with an Integrated Approach to Combat COVID-19, as Reported at The LD 500 Virtual Conference -... - September 5th, 2020
- Clene Nanomedicine, researching the use of gold atoms to slow ALS progression, nets $42.5M Series D - Endpoints News - September 2nd, 2020
- Amorphous Soft Magnetic Materials Market to Reach USD 728.5 Million by 2027; Need to Blend Amorphous & Nano-crystalline Alloys will Favor Growth,... - September 2nd, 2020
- 5 Recent Tech Innovations Disrupting the Medical and Healthcare Industry - HealthTechZone - September 2nd, 2020
- Mohali INST scientists develop new nano-particle-based treatment for kala azar - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2020
- Book Review: What Can India's Embrace of Nanotech Tell Us About India's Science? - The Wire Science - August 21st, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Analysis, Key Players, Industry Segments And Forecast To 2026 - The News Brok - August 21st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2026: By Modality, Diseases, Application and Region - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 21st, 2020
- New 'molecular computers' find the right cells - UW Medicine Newsroom - August 21st, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 10th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Industry Outlook 2020-2027 with Profiles of 46 Players Including Abbott Labs, Celgene Corp, GE... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Nanomedicine Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 - News... - August 10th, 2020
- Green One-Step Synthesis of Medical Nanoagents for Advanced Radiation | NSA - Dove Medical Press - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- What is Nanomedicine? : Center for Nanomedicine - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine | medicine | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - August 10th, 2020
- Cleaning the Nano-Texture Glass on Your New iMac - The Mac Observer - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 was created in the Wuhan laboratory and is now in the hands of the Chinese military - Malaysian Christian News - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market To Reach USD 343.8 Billion By 2026 | CAGR of 12.6% - PharmiWeb.com - August 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Actual Strategies of Key Players to Overcome COVID 19 Pendamic | GE Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Mallinckrodt plc, Merck... - August 5th, 2020
- What happens when bacteria resist treatment? Trobix lands $3M to protect us from next 'Super Bug' - Geektime - August 5th, 2020
- Topical nanoparticles interfering with the DNA-LL37 complex to alleviate psoriatic inflammation in mice and monkeys - Science Advances - August 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Worth $475B by 2027 - Therapeutics Will Account for $369B - Benzinga - August 5th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market 2020 Comprehensive analysis with Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast by 2027... - August 2nd, 2020
- Researchers uncover how cells interact with supporting proteins to heal wounds | The Source - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 2nd, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Provides in-depth analysis of the Nanomedicine Industry, with current trends and future estimations to elucidate the investment... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Nano Therapy Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by, Type, Application, and Region. - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedical Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE Bulletin Line - Bulletin... - July 31st, 2020
- BIOPHARMACEUTICAL AND BIOMEDICINE MARKET RESEARCH, OPPORTUNITIES, EMERGING TRENDS, COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND FORECASTS 2016-2028 | AMGEN INC., F.... - July 31st, 2020
- Redefining the status quo in healthcare - The Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Report (2019-2027) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future? - Research Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine in lung cancer: Current states of overcoming drug resistance and improving cancer immunotherapy - DocWire News - July 29th, 2020
- New insights into wound healing - Newswise - July 29th, 2020
- Tracked the behavior of nanoparticles in the body - FREE NEWS - July 29th, 2020
- CLR 131 Leads a New Generation of Lipid-Based Cancer Drug Delivery Systems - OncLive - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2019 by Rising-Trends, Growth Analysis, Industry Share, Product Types, User-Demand, Business Strategy and Comprehensive Valuation... - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 24th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market is Expected to Grow at Moderate Pace by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic, Latest Market Research Report by... - July 24th, 2020
- Small AI biotech BioXcel surges on positive PhIII results, setting up dementia and Alzheimer's test - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- How research groups are tackling the problem of biologic drug delivery - Pharmaceutical Technology - July 22nd, 2020
- NanoViricides to Participate in Panel Discussion at the B. Riley FBR Virtual Infectious Disease Summit Today, July 21, 2020 - BioSpace - July 22nd, 2020
- Investigating the Effect of Nano-Curcumin on the Expression of Biofilm | IDR - Dove Medical Press - July 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus news: Understanding the relationship between nanotechnology and COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - July 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And... - July 19th, 2020
- THE 1918 PANDEMIC: What Happened When the Flu Overwhelmed Humboldt's Medical System? - Lost Coast Outpost - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch... - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 Bulletin Line... - July 18th, 2020
- What is nanomedicine? | ETPN - July 18th, 2020
- Nanosensors Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 18th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Nanomedicine Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Report: New PET radiotracer proven safe and effective in imaging malignant brain tumors - Tdnews - July 13th, 2020
- Value of Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2075 2015 2021 - Bulletin Line - July 13th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 -... - July 12th, 2020
- New nanomedicines for mRNA therapeutics in breast cancer and heart failure - Mirage News - July 12th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Antibacterial Nano Coatings Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Nanogate AG,... - July 12th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market with Emerging Trends, Global Scope and Demand 2020 to 2026 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - July 11th, 2020
- 3D Printed Medicine Uses Fish Gelatin to Deliver Cancer Treatment - 3DPrint.com - July 11th, 2020
- INBRAIN Neuroelectronics receives funding to push forward the development of graphene-based implants for brain disorders - Graphene-Info - June 14th, 2020
- Nanotechnology for Healthcare Market Global Competitions and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - News Collective - June 14th, 2020
- Combination Therapy of Lung Cancer Using Layer-by-Layer Cisplatin Prod | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - June 14th, 2020
- Medical Biomimetics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - June 14th, 2020
- 'Laser tweezers' in nano lab used in search for drug to prevent COVID-19 replication - The Province - May 3rd, 2020
- Missouri Indian American Professor Develops Disinfecting Tunnel to Kill Viral Infections Using Silver Nano-particles - India West - May 3rd, 2020