When we get a wound on our skin, the cells in our bodies quickly mobilize to repair it. While it has been known how cells heal wounds and how scars form, a team led by researchers from Washington University in St. Louis has determined for the first time how the process begins, which may provide new insight into wound healing, fibrosis and cancer metastasis.
The team, led by Delaram Shakiba, a postdoctoral fellow from the NSF Science and Technology Center for Engineering Mechanobiology (CEMB) at the McKelvey School of Engineering, discovered the way fibroblasts, or common cells in connective tissue, interact with the extracellular matrix, which provides structural support as well as biochemical and biomechanical cues to cells. The team uncovered a recursive process that goes on between the cells and their environment as well as structures in the cells that were previously unknown.
Results of the research were published in ACS Nano on July 28. Senior authors on the paper are Guy Genin, the Harold and Kathleen Faught Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the McKelvey School of Engineering, and Elliot Elson, professor emeritus of biochemistry and molecular biophysics at the School of Medicine.
Clinical efforts to prevent the progression of fibrocontractile diseases, such as scarring and fibrosis, have been largely unsuccessful, in part because the mechanisms that cells use to interact with the protein fibers around them are unclear, Shakiba said. We found that fibroblasts use completely different mechanisms in the early and I think the most treatable stages of these interactions, and that their responses to drugs can therefore be the opposite of what they would be in the later stages.
Genin, who is the co-director of the CEMB, said the process has stymied mechanobiology researchers for some time.
Researchers in the field of mechanobiology thought that cells pulled in collagen from the extracellular matrix by reaching out with long protrusions, grabbing it and pulling it back, Genin said. We discovered that this wasnt the case. A cell has to push its way out through collagen first, then instead of grabbing on, it essentially shoots tiny hairs, or filopodia, out of the sides of its arms, pulls in collagen that way, then retracts.
Now that they understand this process, Genin said, they can control the shape that a cell takes.
With our colleagues at CEMB at the University of Pennsylvania, we were able to validate some mathematical models to go through the engineering process, and we now have the basic rules that cells follow, he said. We can now begin to design specific stimuli to direct a cell to behave in a certain way in building a tissue-engineered structure.
The researchers learned they could control the cell shape in two ways: First, by controlling the boundaries around it, and second, by inhibiting or upregulating particular proteins involved in the remodeling of the collagen.
Fibroblasts pull the edges of a wound together, causing it to contract or close up. Collagen in the cells then remodels the extracellular matrix to fully close the wound. This is where mechanobiology comes into play.
Theres a balance between tension and compression inside a cell that is newly exposed to fibrous proteins, Genin said. There is tension in actin cables, and by playing with that balance, we can make these protrusions grow extremely long, Genin said. We can stop the remodeling from occurring or we can increase it.
The team used a 3D-mapping technique the first time it has been applied to collagen along with a computational model to calculate the 3D strain and stress fields created by the protrusions from the cells. As cells accumulated collagen, tension-driven remodeling and alignment of collagen fibers led to the formation of collagen tracts. This requires cooperative interactions among cells, through which cells can interact mechanically.
New methods of microscopy, tissue engineering and biomechanical modeling greatly enhance our understanding of the mechanisms by which cells modify and repair the tissues they populate, Elson said. Fibrous cellular structures generate and guide forces that compress and reorient their extracellular fibrous environment. This raises new questions about the molecular mechanisms of these functions and how cells regulate the forces they exert and how they govern the extent of matrix deformation.
Wound healing is a great example of how these processes are important in a physiologic way, Genin said. Well be able to come up with insight in how to train cells not to excessively compact the collagen around them.
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Exclusive mining could have negative implications for the Blockchain industry, say experts - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Reimagining blockchain for healthcare solutions with the MAXathon - Health Europa - September 8th, 2020
- All fintech companies will use blockchain within 10 years: Aussie government report - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- 'Decentralized Reddit' enables users to secure Twitter on the blockchain - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Former Georgian PM: Blockchain is the steam engine of Industry 4.0 - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- How will decentralized blockchain technology evolve in the future? - Gary Skentelbery - September 8th, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 8th, 2020
- Starbucks' Deployment of a Blockchain Network May Show Restaurants the Way to Future Revenue Growth | - Restaurant Technology News - September 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 5th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market : Updates, Future Growth, Industry Analysis And Comprehensive Study On Key Players To 2020 2028 -... - September 5th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Reports... - September 5th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Nanocapsules Market - StartupNG - September 5th, 2020
- NanoViricides is Developing Drugs Against SARS-CoV-2 with an Integrated Approach to Combat COVID-19, as Reported at The LD 500 Virtual Conference -... - September 5th, 2020
- Clene Nanomedicine, researching the use of gold atoms to slow ALS progression, nets $42.5M Series D - Endpoints News - September 2nd, 2020
- Amorphous Soft Magnetic Materials Market to Reach USD 728.5 Million by 2027; Need to Blend Amorphous & Nano-crystalline Alloys will Favor Growth,... - September 2nd, 2020
- 5 Recent Tech Innovations Disrupting the Medical and Healthcare Industry - HealthTechZone - September 2nd, 2020
- Mohali INST scientists develop new nano-particle-based treatment for kala azar - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2020
- Book Review: What Can India's Embrace of Nanotech Tell Us About India's Science? - The Wire Science - August 21st, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Analysis, Key Players, Industry Segments And Forecast To 2026 - The News Brok - August 21st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2026: By Modality, Diseases, Application and Region - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 21st, 2020
- New 'molecular computers' find the right cells - UW Medicine Newsroom - August 21st, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 10th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Industry Outlook 2020-2027 with Profiles of 46 Players Including Abbott Labs, Celgene Corp, GE... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Nanomedicine Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 - News... - August 10th, 2020
- Green One-Step Synthesis of Medical Nanoagents for Advanced Radiation | NSA - Dove Medical Press - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- What is Nanomedicine? : Center for Nanomedicine - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine | medicine | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - August 10th, 2020
- Cleaning the Nano-Texture Glass on Your New iMac - The Mac Observer - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 was created in the Wuhan laboratory and is now in the hands of the Chinese military - Malaysian Christian News - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market To Reach USD 343.8 Billion By 2026 | CAGR of 12.6% - PharmiWeb.com - August 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Actual Strategies of Key Players to Overcome COVID 19 Pendamic | GE Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Mallinckrodt plc, Merck... - August 5th, 2020
- What happens when bacteria resist treatment? Trobix lands $3M to protect us from next 'Super Bug' - Geektime - August 5th, 2020
- Topical nanoparticles interfering with the DNA-LL37 complex to alleviate psoriatic inflammation in mice and monkeys - Science Advances - August 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Worth $475B by 2027 - Therapeutics Will Account for $369B - Benzinga - August 5th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market 2020 Comprehensive analysis with Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast by 2027... - August 2nd, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Provides in-depth analysis of the Nanomedicine Industry, with current trends and future estimations to elucidate the investment... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Nano Therapy Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by, Type, Application, and Region. - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedical Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE Bulletin Line - Bulletin... - July 31st, 2020
- BIOPHARMACEUTICAL AND BIOMEDICINE MARKET RESEARCH, OPPORTUNITIES, EMERGING TRENDS, COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND FORECASTS 2016-2028 | AMGEN INC., F.... - July 31st, 2020
- Redefining the status quo in healthcare - The Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Report (2019-2027) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future? - Research Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine in lung cancer: Current states of overcoming drug resistance and improving cancer immunotherapy - DocWire News - July 29th, 2020
- New insights into wound healing - Newswise - July 29th, 2020
- Seer raises another $55M and finally reveals proteomic tech can it hold up? - Endpoints News - July 29th, 2020
- Tracked the behavior of nanoparticles in the body - FREE NEWS - July 29th, 2020
- CLR 131 Leads a New Generation of Lipid-Based Cancer Drug Delivery Systems - OncLive - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2019 by Rising-Trends, Growth Analysis, Industry Share, Product Types, User-Demand, Business Strategy and Comprehensive Valuation... - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 24th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market is Expected to Grow at Moderate Pace by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic, Latest Market Research Report by... - July 24th, 2020
- Small AI biotech BioXcel surges on positive PhIII results, setting up dementia and Alzheimer's test - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- How research groups are tackling the problem of biologic drug delivery - Pharmaceutical Technology - July 22nd, 2020
- NanoViricides to Participate in Panel Discussion at the B. Riley FBR Virtual Infectious Disease Summit Today, July 21, 2020 - BioSpace - July 22nd, 2020
- Investigating the Effect of Nano-Curcumin on the Expression of Biofilm | IDR - Dove Medical Press - July 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus news: Understanding the relationship between nanotechnology and COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - July 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And... - July 19th, 2020
- THE 1918 PANDEMIC: What Happened When the Flu Overwhelmed Humboldt's Medical System? - Lost Coast Outpost - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch... - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 Bulletin Line... - July 18th, 2020
- What is nanomedicine? | ETPN - July 18th, 2020
- Nanosensors Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 18th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Nanomedicine Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Report: New PET radiotracer proven safe and effective in imaging malignant brain tumors - Tdnews - July 13th, 2020
- Value of Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2075 2015 2021 - Bulletin Line - July 13th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 -... - July 12th, 2020
- New nanomedicines for mRNA therapeutics in breast cancer and heart failure - Mirage News - July 12th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Antibacterial Nano Coatings Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Nanogate AG,... - July 12th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market with Emerging Trends, Global Scope and Demand 2020 to 2026 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - July 11th, 2020
- 3D Printed Medicine Uses Fish Gelatin to Deliver Cancer Treatment - 3DPrint.com - July 11th, 2020
- INBRAIN Neuroelectronics receives funding to push forward the development of graphene-based implants for brain disorders - Graphene-Info - June 14th, 2020
- Nanotechnology for Healthcare Market Global Competitions and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - News Collective - June 14th, 2020
- Combination Therapy of Lung Cancer Using Layer-by-Layer Cisplatin Prod | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - June 14th, 2020
- Medical Biomimetics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - June 14th, 2020
- 'Laser tweezers' in nano lab used in search for drug to prevent COVID-19 replication - The Province - May 3rd, 2020
- Missouri Indian American Professor Develops Disinfecting Tunnel to Kill Viral Infections Using Silver Nano-particles - India West - May 3rd, 2020