IMAGE:Representative maximum-intensity projection PET images of a healthy human volunteer injected with 64Cu-NOTA-EB-RGD at 1, 8, and 24 hours after injection. Axial MRI and PET slices of glioblastoma patient injectedview more
Credit: Jingjing Zhang et al., Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China/Xiaoyuan Chen et al., Laboratory of Molecular Imaging and Nanomedicine, NIBIB/NIH, Bethesda, USA
A first-in-human study presented at the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging 2020 Annual Meeting has demonstrated the safety, favorable pharmacokinetic and dosimetry profile of 64Cu-EBRGD, a new, relatively long-lived PET tracer, in patients with glioblastomas. The radiotracer proved to be a superior, high-contrast imaging diagnostic in patients, visualizing tumors that express low or moderate levels of v3 integrin with high sensitivity.
Glioblastoma is the most common and most aggressive primary malignant brain tumor in adults, with 17,000 diagnoses annually. It is a highly diffuse and invasive disease that is personally devastating and virtually incurable. Once diagnosed, most patients survive less than 15 months, and fewer than five percent survive five years.
The 64Cu-EBRGD radiotracer presented in this study has several unique qualities. The peptide sequence Arg-Gly-Asp (RGD) specifically targets the cell surface receptor v3 integrin, which is overexpressed in glioblastomas. To slow clearance, Evans Blue (EB) dye, which reversibly binds to circulating albumin, is bound to RGD, significantly enhancing target accumulation and retention. The addition of the 64Cu label to EBRGD provides persistent, high-contrast diagnostic images in glioblastoma patients.
This first-in-human, first-in-class study included three healthy volunteers who underwent whole-body 64Cu-EBRGD PET/CT. Safety dataincluding vital signs, physical examination, electrocardiography, laboratory parameters and adverse eventswere collected after one day and after one week. Regions of interest were drawn, time-activity curves were obtained and dosimetry was calculated. Two patients with recurrent glioblastoma also underwent 64Cu-EBRGD PET/CT. Seven sets of brain PET and PET/CT scans were obtained over two consecutive days. Tumor-to-background ratios were calculated for the target tumor lesion and normal brain tissue. One week after radiotracer administration, the patient underwent surgical treatment, and immunohistochemical staining of tumor samples was performed.
64Cu-EBRGD was well-tolerated in patients with no adverse symptoms immediately or up to one week after administration. The mean effective dose of 64Cu-EBRGD was very similar to the effective dose of an 18F-FDG scan. Injection of 64Cu-EBRGD to the patients with recurrent glioblastoma showed high accumulation at the tumor with continuously increased tumor-to-background contrast over time. Post-operative pathology revealed World Health Organization grade IV glioblastoma, and immunohistochemical staining showed moderate expression of the v3 integrin.
In this study, we have demonstrated a potential radiotheranostic agent that is safe, sensitive and highly selective in humans, which infers a future diagnostic tool and breakthrough targeted radiotherapy for glioblastoma patients, said Jingjing Zhang, MD, PhD, of Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing, China. We believe this innovative use of 64Cu-EBRGD will significantly improve therapeutic efficacy and patient outcomes.
64Cu-labeled EBRGD represents a viable model compound for therapeutic applications since 177Lu, 90Y or 225Ac can be substituted for 64Cu, said Deling Li, MD, of Beijing Tiantan Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China. We are currently studying the 177Lu homolog to treat glioblastoma and other v3 integrin expressing cancers, including non-small cell lung, melanoma, renal and bone, and hope to build on the current wave of radiotherapies like 177Lu-DOTATATE.
Abstract 349. First-in-Human Study of a 64Cu-Labeled Long-acting Integrin v3 Targeting Molecule 64Cu-NOTA-EB-RGD in Healthy Volunteers and GBM Patients, Jingjing Zhang, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing, China, and THERANOSTICS Center for Radiomolecular Precision Oncology, ENETS Center of Excellence, Zentralklinik Bad Berka, Bad Berka, Germany; Deling Li, Department of Neurosurgery Beijing, Tiantan Hospital, Beijing City, China; Gang Nu, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB), National Institutes of Health (NIH), Bethesda, Maryland; Richard Baum, THERANOSTICS Center for Radiomolecular Precision Oncology, ENETS Center of Excellence, Zentralklinik Bad Berka, Bad Berka, Germany; Zhaohui Zhu, Department of Nuclear Medicine, Peking Union Medic, Beijing, China; and Xiaoyuan Chen, NIBIB/NIH, Bethesda, Maryland. SNMMIs 67th Annual Meeting, July 11-14, 2020.
Molecular Targeting Technologies, Inc., received an exclusive worldwide commercialization license from NIH for rights that, in part, cover EBRGD radiotherapeutics using various radionuclides. Glioblastoma treatment is among its potential uses.
All 2020 SNMMI Annual Meeting abstracts can be found online at http://jnm.snmjournals.org/content/61/supplement_1.toc.
About the Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging
The Society of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging (SNMMI) is an international scientific and medical organization dedicated to advancing nuclear medicine and molecular imaging, vital elements of precision medicine that allow diagnosis and treatment to be tailored to individual patients in order to achieve the best possible outcomes.
SNMMIs members set the standard for molecular imaging and nuclear medicine practice by creating guidelines, sharing information through journals and meetings and leading advocacy on key issues that affect molecular imaging and therapy research and practice. For more information, visit http://www.snmmi.org.
The rest is here:
- $700 Million Worth of Synthetic Bitcoin Is Circulating on the Ethereum Blockchain - Bitcoin News - September 8th, 2020
- Exclusive mining could have negative implications for the Blockchain industry, say experts - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Reimagining blockchain for healthcare solutions with the MAXathon - Health Europa - September 8th, 2020
- All fintech companies will use blockchain within 10 years: Aussie government report - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- 'Decentralized Reddit' enables users to secure Twitter on the blockchain - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- Former Georgian PM: Blockchain is the steam engine of Industry 4.0 - Cointelegraph - September 8th, 2020
- How will decentralized blockchain technology evolve in the future? - Gary Skentelbery - September 8th, 2020
- How the Bitcoin Blockchain Is Being Used to Safeguard Nuclear Power Stations - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - September 8th, 2020
- Starbucks' Deployment of a Blockchain Network May Show Restaurants the Way to Future Revenue Growth | - Restaurant Technology News - September 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 5th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market : Updates, Future Growth, Industry Analysis And Comprehensive Study On Key Players To 2020 2028 -... - September 5th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Segmentation By Qualitative And Quantitative Research Incorporating Impact Of Economic And Non-Economic Aspects By 2027 - Reports... - September 5th, 2020
- Impressive Trends and Future Scope of Nanocapsules Market - StartupNG - September 5th, 2020
- NanoViricides is Developing Drugs Against SARS-CoV-2 with an Integrated Approach to Combat COVID-19, as Reported at The LD 500 Virtual Conference -... - September 5th, 2020
- Clene Nanomedicine, researching the use of gold atoms to slow ALS progression, nets $42.5M Series D - Endpoints News - September 2nd, 2020
- Amorphous Soft Magnetic Materials Market to Reach USD 728.5 Million by 2027; Need to Blend Amorphous & Nano-crystalline Alloys will Favor Growth,... - September 2nd, 2020
- 5 Recent Tech Innovations Disrupting the Medical and Healthcare Industry - HealthTechZone - September 2nd, 2020
- Mohali INST scientists develop new nano-particle-based treatment for kala azar - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2020
- Book Review: What Can India's Embrace of Nanotech Tell Us About India's Science? - The Wire Science - August 21st, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Analysis, Key Players, Industry Segments And Forecast To 2026 - The News Brok - August 21st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market: Industry Analysis and forecast 2026: By Modality, Diseases, Application and Region - Good Night, Good Hockey - August 21st, 2020
- New 'molecular computers' find the right cells - UW Medicine Newsroom - August 21st, 2020
- How can nanomedicine be applied to cannabis? - Leafly - August 10th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Industry Outlook 2020-2027 with Profiles of 46 Players Including Abbott Labs, Celgene Corp, GE... - August 10th, 2020
- Global Projection 2020: Nanomedicine Market Exclusive Profitable Comprehensive Research Report with COVID-19 Impact Overview | Forecast 2029 - News... - August 10th, 2020
- Green One-Step Synthesis of Medical Nanoagents for Advanced Radiation | NSA - Dove Medical Press - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - Wikipedia - August 10th, 2020
- What is Nanomedicine? : Center for Nanomedicine - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine | medicine | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics - August 10th, 2020
- Cleaning the Nano-Texture Glass on Your New iMac - The Mac Observer - August 10th, 2020
- COVID-19 was created in the Wuhan laboratory and is now in the hands of the Chinese military - Malaysian Christian News - August 10th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market To Reach USD 343.8 Billion By 2026 | CAGR of 12.6% - PharmiWeb.com - August 8th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Actual Strategies of Key Players to Overcome COVID 19 Pendamic | GE Healthcare, Johnson & Johnson, Mallinckrodt plc, Merck... - August 5th, 2020
- What happens when bacteria resist treatment? Trobix lands $3M to protect us from next 'Super Bug' - Geektime - August 5th, 2020
- Topical nanoparticles interfering with the DNA-LL37 complex to alleviate psoriatic inflammation in mice and monkeys - Science Advances - August 5th, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Worth $475B by 2027 - Therapeutics Will Account for $369B - Benzinga - August 5th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market 2020 Comprehensive analysis with Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast by 2027... - August 2nd, 2020
- Researchers uncover how cells interact with supporting proteins to heal wounds | The Source - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - August 2nd, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Provides in-depth analysis of the Nanomedicine Industry, with current trends and future estimations to elucidate the investment... - July 31st, 2020
- Global Nano Therapy Market- Industry Analysis and Forecast (2020-2027)-by, Type, Application, and Region. - Red & Black Student Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedical Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By MRE Bulletin Line - Bulletin... - July 31st, 2020
- BIOPHARMACEUTICAL AND BIOMEDICINE MARKET RESEARCH, OPPORTUNITIES, EMERGING TRENDS, COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES AND FORECASTS 2016-2028 | AMGEN INC., F.... - July 31st, 2020
- Redefining the status quo in healthcare - The Business Times - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Report (2019-2027) | The demand for the Market will drastically increase in the Future? - Research Newspaper - July 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine in lung cancer: Current states of overcoming drug resistance and improving cancer immunotherapy - DocWire News - July 29th, 2020
- New insights into wound healing - Newswise - July 29th, 2020
- Seer raises another $55M and finally reveals proteomic tech can it hold up? - Endpoints News - July 29th, 2020
- Tracked the behavior of nanoparticles in the body - FREE NEWS - July 29th, 2020
- CLR 131 Leads a New Generation of Lipid-Based Cancer Drug Delivery Systems - OncLive - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2019 by Rising-Trends, Growth Analysis, Industry Share, Product Types, User-Demand, Business Strategy and Comprehensive Valuation... - July 24th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2020 To 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 24th, 2020
- Global Nanotechnology in Medical Market is Expected to Grow at Moderate Pace by 2027 Post COVID 19 Pandemic, Latest Market Research Report by... - July 24th, 2020
- Small AI biotech BioXcel surges on positive PhIII results, setting up dementia and Alzheimer's test - Endpoints News - July 24th, 2020
- How research groups are tackling the problem of biologic drug delivery - Pharmaceutical Technology - July 22nd, 2020
- NanoViricides to Participate in Panel Discussion at the B. Riley FBR Virtual Infectious Disease Summit Today, July 21, 2020 - BioSpace - July 22nd, 2020
- Investigating the Effect of Nano-Curcumin on the Expression of Biofilm | IDR - Dove Medical Press - July 20th, 2020
- Coronavirus news: Understanding the relationship between nanotechnology and COVID-19 - Free Press Journal - July 19th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And... - July 19th, 2020
- THE 1918 PANDEMIC: What Happened When the Flu Overwhelmed Humboldt's Medical System? - Lost Coast Outpost - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 - 3rd Watch... - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 Bulletin Line - Bulletin Line - July 19th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 Bulletin Line... - July 18th, 2020
- What is nanomedicine? | ETPN - July 18th, 2020
- Nanosensors Market to Remain Balanced During the the COVID-19 Period - Cole of Duty - July 18th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market 2020 Industry Share, Size, Consumption, Growth, Top Manufacturers, Type and Forecast to 2028 - Bulletin Line - July 18th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Nanomedicine Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology Market Size By Product Analysis, Application, End-Users, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecast Up To 2026 -... - July 14th, 2020
- Value of Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Predicted to Surpass US$ by the of 2075 2015 2021 - Bulletin Line - July 13th, 2020
- Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Research report explores the Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market for the forecast period, 2020-2026 -... - July 12th, 2020
- New nanomedicines for mRNA therapeutics in breast cancer and heart failure - Mirage News - July 12th, 2020
- New Comprehensive Report on Antibacterial Nano Coatings Market to Witness an Outstanding Growth during 2020 2025 with Top Players Like Nanogate AG,... - July 12th, 2020
- Nanomedicine Market with Emerging Trends, Global Scope and Demand 2020 to 2026 - The Canton Independent Sentinel - July 11th, 2020
- 3D Printed Medicine Uses Fish Gelatin to Deliver Cancer Treatment - 3DPrint.com - July 11th, 2020
- INBRAIN Neuroelectronics receives funding to push forward the development of graphene-based implants for brain disorders - Graphene-Info - June 14th, 2020
- Nanotechnology for Healthcare Market Global Competitions and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - News Collective - June 14th, 2020
- Combination Therapy of Lung Cancer Using Layer-by-Layer Cisplatin Prod | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - June 14th, 2020
- Medical Biomimetics - Market Research | Recent Trends and Growth Forecast 2025 - CueReport - June 14th, 2020
- 'Laser tweezers' in nano lab used in search for drug to prevent COVID-19 replication - The Province - May 3rd, 2020
- Missouri Indian American Professor Develops Disinfecting Tunnel to Kill Viral Infections Using Silver Nano-particles - India West - May 3rd, 2020