Despite recent advances in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis(RA) attributed to biologic medications, only a minority of patients achieve andmaintain disease remission without the need for continuous immunosuppressive therapy.1Complicating the treatment of RA further is the development of tolerance over timeor failure of patients to respond to currently available therapies.1Thus, the development of new treatment strategies for RA remains a priority.
Nanotherapies for RA have received increasing attention in the past decade because they offer several potential advantages compared with conventional systemic therapies.2 Nanocarriers are submicron transport particles designed to deliver the drug at the site of inflammation the synovium thereby maximizing its therapeutic effect and avoiding unwanted systemic adverse effects.1 This targeted drug delivery approach also has the potential to minimize the amount of drug required to control joint inflammation3 and increase local bioavailability by protecting it from degradation in the circulation.1
In essence, nanotechnology enables the redesign of alreadyeffective rheumatologic medications into nanoformulations that may confer greaterspecificity, longer therapeutic effect, and more amenable safety profile.4Nanoencapsulated nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs),5 liposomaland polymeric preparations of glucocorticoids,6 and nanosystems thatdirectly inhibit angiogenesis are just several examples of nanotherapies that havebeen tested in experimental models of inflammatory arthritis.7
Despite the promising findings observed in studies to date, further development and subsequent integration of nanotherapies in the management of RA remains hampered by the lack of efficacy and toxicity studies in humans. In an interview with Rheumatology Advisor, Christine Pham, MD, chief of the Division of Rheumatology at the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, discussed the advantages and challenges of applying nanotherapies in RA.
RheumatologyAdvisor: How can nanotechnology be applied in the treatment of RA?
ChristinePham, MD: Nanotechnology is a multidisciplinary approach aimed at the deliveryof therapeutic agents using submicron nanocarriers. In RA, the vessels at the siteof inflammation are leaky, allowing passage of these nanocarriers from the circulationto specific target sites in the joint environment.
RheumatologyAdvisor: Which RA drugs are suitable forthis approach?
DrPham: Many conventionalantirheumatic drugs such as methotrexate, glucocorticoids, and NSAIDs have beensuccessfully delivered by nanocarriers to mitigate inflammatory arthritis in experimentalmodels.
RheumatologyAdvisor: Whatare the main advantages of using nanotherapy/nanocarriers, as opposed to systemictherapy, in the treatment of RA?
DrPham: The mainadvantages are selective drug delivery to desired sites of action through passiveor active targeting, which can lead to increased local bioavailability and potentiallycan reduce unwanted off-target side effects. In addition, nanocarriers may increasethe solubility of certain drugs and protect therapeutics against degradation inthe circulation.
RheumatologyAdvisor: Howfar has the medical community gotten in developing (and testing) nanotherapies forRA? Which nanotherapies have shown the most promise?
DrPham: A numberof nanotherapeutics have been developed and tested in animal models of RA. Mosthave shown disease mitigation, however, none has so far made it to the clinic.
RheumatologyAdvisor: Whatneeds to happen before nanotherapies can get fully integrated into clinical practiceand treatment of patients with RA?
DrPham: Insufficientdata regarding long-term toxicity and optimal therapeutic efficacy have hamperedtheir integration into clinical practice. Anticytokine biologics have been verysuccessful, so nanotherapeutics need to show clearly that they have higher efficacyand lower toxicity for pharmaceutical companies to invest in their development forthe clinic.
Rheumatology Advisor: Are any other promising treatment strategies for RA currently under investigation?
DrPham: RNA interference(RNAi) has recently emerged as a specific way to silence gene expression. The invivo delivery of small interfering RNA (siRNA), however, remains a significant hurdle,given the short half-life of the molecule in the circulation. We have used a self-assemblingpeptide-based nanosystem that protects the siRNA from degradation when injectedintravenously and which has shown to mitigate experimental RA.8,9 siRNAworks by knocking down NFkappaB p65, asubunit of NF-kappa-B transcription complex which plays acentral role in inflammation in general and in RA in particular. This platform promisesto have real translational potential.
1. Pham CTN. Nanotherapeutic approaches for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Nanomed Nanobiotechnol. 2011;3(6):607-619.
2. Dolati S, Sadreddini S, Rostamzadek D, Ahmadi M, Jadidi-Niaragh F, Yousefi M. Utilization of nanoparticle technology in rheumatoid arthritis treatment. Biomed Pharmacother. 2016;80:30-41.
3. Rubinstein I, Weinberg GL. Nanomedicine for chronic non-infectious arthritis: the clinicians perspective. Nanomedicine. 2012;8(Suppl 1):S77-S82.
4. Henderson CS, Madison AC, Shah A. Size matters nanotechnology and therapeutics in rheumatology and immunology. Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2014;10(1):11-21.
5. Srinath P, Chary MG, Vyas SP, Diwan PV. Long-circulating liposomes of indomethacin in arthritic ratsa biodisposition study. Pharm Acta Helv. 2000;74:399-404.
6. Metselaar JM, Wauben MH, Wagenaar-Hilbers JP, Boerman OC, Storm G. Complete remission of experimental arthritis by joint targeting of glucocorticoids with long-circulating liposomes. Arthritis Rheum. 2003;48:2059-2066.
7. Koo OM, Rubinstein I, nyuksel H. Actively targeted low-dose camptothecin as a safe, long-acting, disease-modifying nanomedicine for rheumatoid arthritis. Pharm Res. 2011;28:776-787.
8. Zhou H-F, Yan H, Pan H, et al. Peptide-siRNA nanocomplexes targeting the NF-kB subunit p65 suppress nascent experimental arthritis. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:4363-4374.
9. Rai MF, Pan H, Yan H, Sandell L, Pham C, Wickline SA. Applications of RNA interference in the treatment of arthritis. Transl Res. 2019;214:1-16.
Go here to see the original:
- What is Nanomedicine? : Center for Nanomedicine - March 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine | medicine | Britannica - March 31st, 2020
- Nano Medicine: Meaning, Advantages and Disadvantages - March 31st, 2020
- Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine ... - March 31st, 2020
- What Might be the Best Way to Delivery Nanoparticle Therapy for Cancer? - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - March 31st, 2020
- Nano Healthcare Technology For Medical Equipment Market Business Opportunities, 2020 Trends, Challenges and Standardization, Research, Key Players and... - March 31st, 2020
- Global Healthcare Nanotechnology Market 2019 Present Status and Future Opportunities by Major Companies Typs and Applications 2024 - The Fuel Fox - March 31st, 2020
- Nanobiotix 2019 Q4 and Annual Revenues - BioSpace - February 29th, 2020
- Dying Of Flu, College Student Used Cellphone To Call 911. He Died When Police Couldn't Find His Location. - Kaiser Health News - February 29th, 2020
- Clene Nanomedicine Announces First Patient Dosed in the RESCUE-ALS Clinical Trial for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) with Lead... - January 25th, 2020
- Modifying ICCA with Trp-Phe-Phe to Enhance in vivo Activity and Form N | IJN - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2020
- Biomedical Applications of Zeolitic Nanoparticles, with an Emphasis on | IJN - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2020
- Nanocarriers for Stroke Therapy: Advances and Obstacles in Translating | IJN - Dove Medical Press - January 25th, 2020
- Healthcare Nanotechnology (Nanomedicine) Market Share, Size, Future Demand, Global Research, Top Leading Player, Emerging Trends and Forecast to 2015 ... - January 25th, 2020
- Advancells Group & IFC Concluded their 3-Day Workshop on Regenerative Medicine - Business Wire India - January 25th, 2020
- I asked Tanzanians about studying in China: here's what they said - The Conversation Africa - January 25th, 2020
- The Future Of Nano Medicine - January 19th, 2020
- New Approaches in Breast Cancer Therapy Through Green Nanotechnology a | IJN - Dove Medical Press - January 19th, 2020
- Controlled phage therapy hints at future alternative to antibiotics - New Atlas - January 19th, 2020
- A New Old Therapy - The UCSB Current - January 19th, 2020
- Most engineered nanoparticles enter tumours through cells not between them, U of T researchers find - News@UofT - January 19th, 2020
- Canterbury father and son's invention will revolutionise medical treatment - Stuff.co.nz - December 28th, 2019
- Rewind 2019: A Look Back at Significant Developments in Indian Science This Year - The Weather Channel - December 27th, 2019
- Electroplating method makes conductive nanostraws for injecting into and sampling from cells - Chemical & Engineering News - December 3rd, 2019
- Protein-Protected Metal Nanoclusters That Behave Like Natural Enzymes - Advanced Science News - December 3rd, 2019
- Design and Synthesis of Gold-Gadolinium-Core-Shell Nanoparticles as Co | IJN - Dove Medical Press - December 3rd, 2019
- Biochips Technologies, Companies, Applications & Markets, 2028 - 94 Companies are Included Along with a Listing of 121 Collaborations Between... - December 3rd, 2019
- Invicro LLC Joins Accenture's INTIENT Network to Help Advance Innovation in Drug Discovery and Scientific Research - BioSpace - December 3rd, 2019
- Nanoparticle therapy shows promise for treatment of rare cancer - The Brown Daily Herald - November 22nd, 2019
- At 9.6% CAGR, Healthcare Nanotechnology Market Global Industry to Reach Valuation over 306100 Million USD by 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 22nd, 2019
- World Pancreatic Cancer Day: increasing awareness and inspiring action - UNSW Newsroom - November 22nd, 2019
- Bankrupt biopharmas are rare. 2019 has some worried that's changing. - BioPharma Dive - November 22nd, 2019
- Healthcare Nanotechnology Market Needs and Demand Analysis 2019 to 2025 - The Chicago Sentinel - November 13th, 2019
- Medical equipment to be infection-free now, says study - Zee News - November 12th, 2019
- Advances in nanomedicine for the treatment of ankylosing spondylitis | IJN - Dove Medical Press - November 1st, 2019
- Market Share in Nanotechnology and Nanomedicine for Treatment of Viral Infections Could Reach Tens of Billion Dollars - P&T Community - November 1st, 2019
- A highly biocompatible and intravenous injectable hafnium oxide nanocrystal synthesized to enhance radiaotherapy efficacy for cancer treatment -... - November 1st, 2019
- Doheny and UCLA Stein Eye Institutes Welcome Kaustabh Ghosh, PhD, to the Scientific and Clinical Research Faculty - PRNewswire - November 1st, 2019
- SUNY Potsdam chemistry professor awarded grant from National Institutes of Health - NNY360 - October 1st, 2019
- Improving 131I Radioiodine Therapy By Hybrid Polymer-Grafted Gold Nano | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 1st, 2019
- MagForce AG to host Lunch Symposium on Local Therapies in Malignant Gliomas during the 19th European Congress of Neurosurgery (EANS2019) - BioSpace - October 1st, 2019
- Synthetic networks with tunable responsiveness, biodegradation, and molecular recognition for precision medicine applications - Science Advances - October 1st, 2019
- Self-Assembly Of Retinoid Nanoparticles For Melanoma Therapy | IJN - Dove Medical Press - October 1st, 2019
- Nanomanipulator Market Upcoming Trends, Revenue, Key Manufactures and Competitive Analysis till 2025 - One Digi Click - October 1st, 2019
- First-of-its-kind trial in ALS spurs hope for brutal disease - BioPharma Dive - October 1st, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Team “Accidentally” Invents Blackest Material in Existence - September 14th, 2019
- A Driver Tricked Uber’s Algorithm, Sexually Assaulted a Passenger - September 14th, 2019
- Toyota Wants to Slather Solar Panels All Over Its Prius Hybrid - September 14th, 2019
- A Runaway Star Is Escaping a Black Hole at 1.2 Million MPH - September 14th, 2019
- Putin Critic Uses Drone to Save Hard Drives Before Police Raid - September 14th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- Horrifying Study: Corpses Thrash Around For a Year After Death - September 14th, 2019
- French Gov Official Warns Facebook: Libra Is Not Welcome Here - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla Model X Blast Through Deep Flood Waters - September 14th, 2019
- Milky Way’s Giant Black Hole Lets out Two Giant, Radioactive Burps - September 14th, 2019
- Instagram Keeps Accidentally Flagging Fish Photos as Offensive - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019
- Can You Tell Which of These Models Is CGI? - May 28th, 2019
- We Asked an AI to Finish Real Elon Musk Tweets - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Super-Strong Robot Dog Pull a Three-Ton Airplane - May 28th, 2019
- Asteroid Flying by Earth Is so Big It Has Its Own Moon - May 28th, 2019
- United Nations: Siri and Alexa Are Encouraging Misogyny - May 28th, 2019
- New Law Could End Robocalling Once and For All - May 28th, 2019
- Scientists Set New Temperature Record for Superconductivity - May 28th, 2019
- Elevate Your Leadership and Grow Your Business at Your Clouds Can 2019 - May 28th, 2019
- NASA’s Moon Mission Leader Just Quit After Only Six Weeks - May 28th, 2019
- Watch a Tesla in an Underground Tunnel Race One on the Street - May 28th, 2019
- SpaceX Just Unleashed 60 Starlink Satellites Into Orbit - May 28th, 2019
- Elon Musk Ridicules Jeff Bezos’ Plan For Space Colonies - May 28th, 2019
- See China’s Newly Unveiled Maglev Train - May 28th, 2019
- Here’s How NASA Prepares Its Spacecraft for Mars - May 28th, 2019
- This Robot Scans Preschoolers’ Faces Daily for Signs of Sickness - May 28th, 2019
- New Research: The Oceans Are Slowly Leaking Into the Earth - May 28th, 2019