Malignant mesothelioma, often referred to simply as mesothelioma, is a type of cancer that affects the mesothelium the protective lining of the lungs, abdomen, and heart. It is caused by exposure to asbestos. Asbestos is a carcinogenic mineral that was used for decades in a number of industrial, commercial, military, and residential applications. Mesothelioma is the most severe of all asbestos-related illnesses.
Due to its long latency period the time between exposure to asbestos and the development of the disease mesothelioma is usually diagnosed at advanced stages and often occurs in older people. It is more common in men, especially those who worked in the automotive and construction industries or who served in the armed forces. First responders, such as firefighters, police officers, paramedics, and EMTs, also have an increased risk of developing the disease.
While the prognosis has been historically poor, advancements in treatment options offerpatients newfound hope for longer survival and a better quality of life.
Doctors diagnose 3,300 new cases of mesothelioma each year.
Due to the high number of occupational-exposure cases, patients may be eligible to receive discounted treatment or financial compensation.
The only known cause of mesothelioma is exposure to asbestos. When inhaled, tiny asbestos fibers lodge in the bodys mesothelium. Years after initial exposure, these have the potential to form malignancies. Learn more about what causes mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma occurs as a result of inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers. Common symptoms may mirror less severe conditions, such as the flu or pneumonia. These include shortness of breath, fever, chest pain, wheezing or a cough, and weight loss. Patients exhibiting symptoms should visit their doctor right away. The earlier it is diagnosed, the better the prognosis, as more extensive treatment offerings are usually available. Learn more about the symptoms of mesothelioma.
Diagnosing mesothelioma is difficult, as its symptoms are often mistaken for other conditions. Doctors also struggle to diagnose the disease because of its rarity and because of its extremely long latency period. Doctors use imaging scans, blood tests, and biopsies when identifying the presence and stage of cancer. A biopsy is the only definitive way to diagnose it. It is important to get a second opinion when going through the diagnostic process. Learn more about how doctors diagnose mesothelioma.
There are three primary types of mesothelioma: pleural, peritoneal, and pericardial. Pleural accounts for the majority of cases, followed by peritoneal. Pericardial is extremely uncommon, accounting for less than 5 percent of all cases. The location of mesothelial tumors in the body is a major determinant of courses of treatment. Learn more about the three types of mesothelioma.
The type of cell present in mesothelioma tumors can significantly affect a patients prognosis and treatment options. Tumors are categorized either as epithelioid, sarcomatoid, or a combination of the two, referred to as biphasic. Learn more about mesothelioma tumor cell types.
Mesothelioma, like other cancers, is staged from 1 to 4. Stages 1 and 2 are less severe and more treatable.Advanced stages have a poor prognosis, as thedisease becomes more difficult to treat.
The stage at which you are diagnosed can affect your treatment options and prognosis. Learn more about the four stages of mesothelioma.
Treatment for mesothelioma varies, primarily based on the type, stage, and cell type of each patients unique case. Generally, doctors combine chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery to create a specialized multimodal treatment plan. When it comes to differences in care, curative treatment options aim to completely eradicate the cancer. Often this is only available in early-stage diagnoses. Palliative care refers to treatment options that seek to relieve patient pain and discomfort.
New treatments and advancements in current treatments offer patients hope of fighting the disease.
Your overall health can have a significant impact on your mesothelioma prognosis and life expectancy. Some ways to improve your prognosis include a healthy diet, exercise, and reducing stress. Learn more about how lifestyle changes may help improve your prognosis.
Negligent asbestos exposure accounts for half of all occupational cancer deaths. Unfortunately, asbestos companies and employers knew the dangers of asbestos and still placed the health of their employees at risk. Asbestos trust funds exist to compensate victims of wrongful occupational exposure, totaling an estimated $37 billion. If you or a loved one has mesothelioma, you may be eligible for financial assistance to help recover lost wages and cover the burdensome costs of treatment. Learn more about mesothelioma legal compensation.
Veterans account for nearly 30 percent of all mesothelioma cases. Why so high? The military used asbestos extensively during the mid-1900s in everything from ships and submarines to aircraft and even military barracks and mess halls. As a result, many service members (as well as civilian personnel) encountered carcinogenic asbestos dust and fibers. If you served in the military and have mesothelioma or another asbestos-related illness, you may be eligible to apply for VA benefits. Learn more about mesotheliomaand veterans, including how to file a VA claim.
Brittany Nelson holds a BSBA in Marketing from the Daniels College of Business at the University of Denver. As someone whose life has been touched by cancer, she strives to connect those affected by mesothelioma with the support and resources they need to overcome a life-changing cancer diagnosis. Brittany is a proud Denver native. When she isnt sipping coffee, researching, and writing for the site, you can catch her noshing at a new restaurant or trying to hold a handstand in the yoga studio. Note: Brittany is not a medical professional.
Here is the original post:
- Odds of Surviving Mesothelioma Equal in Rural and Urban Australia | - Surviving Mesothelioma - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Treatment - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Study Reveals Concerning Aftereffects of Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgery - Mesothelioma.net Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- 3 Objectives for People With Mesothelioma During Coronavirus Isolation - Mesothelioma Guide - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Pain Management with PCC - Surviving Mesothelioma - April 2nd, 2020
- California Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Urges A Person in California with Mesothelioma to Forgo the 'Free booklet and to Call for Direct Access to... - April 2nd, 2020
- Prevention key to protecting those at high risk during pandemic - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - April 2nd, 2020
- Arizona Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste To Ensure a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma Receives... - April 2nd, 2020
- Maryland US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran with Lung Cancer in Maryland Who Also Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for Direct... - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Lawsuits and why you will need a Lawyer by your side - California Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Missouri US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran or Person with Lung Cancer in Missouri Who Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for... - March 26th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Causes, symptoms, and outlook - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Coping - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Symptoms | Learn the Warning Signs - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - TechMirror - February 24th, 2020
- Editorial Guidelines and Standards - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Study Examines Efficacy of Peritonectomy and Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.com - February 24th, 2020
- Are Mesothelioma Patients Leaving An Effective Treatment on the Table? - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Sheldon Silvers Attempt to Have More Conviction Appeals Heard by Court Rejected - NBC New York - February 24th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Nationwide Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of the Amazing... - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - February 17th, 2020
- Exhaled Breath Analysis: Is it the Future of Mesothelioma Diagnosis? | - Surviving Mesothelioma - February 17th, 2020
- The dangers of asbestos: What the public should know - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 17th, 2020
- Asbestos, Ubiquitous and Unavoidable, Is a Deadly Threat to Our Kids - EcoWatch - February 17th, 2020
- German Researchers Deem Heated Chemotherapy Safe Option for Pleural Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- Facing The New Year With Malignant Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst if the Law Firm of Karst von... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Is Open During the Holidays to Make Certain A Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma Has Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Urging a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma to Call Them Anytime During the Holidays for Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Tributes to National Express bus driver, who tragically dies of cancer aged just 29 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate is Open Throughout the Holidays to Ensure a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Gets a Game Plan from Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- 1.5 Million UK Buildings are Exposed to Asbestos; Mesothelioma Lawyers are Helping the Victims - BO Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Congressional Hearing Examines Asbestos Detection in Talc - Mesothelioma.com - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Open During Holidays to Ensure a Person with Mesothelioma Gets on the Spot Compensation Advice from Attorney Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: Immunotherapy a Potential Alternative to Chemotherapy - Gilmore Health News - December 27th, 2019
- St. Louis Jury Sides With Johnson & Johnson in Talc Case - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Malignant Mesothelioma Market To Tell Apart Steadfast Growth Within The Course - Bulletin Line - December 27th, 2019
- Industrial Workers Affected due to Asbestos Exposure at Workplace have been Searching Mesothelioma Lawyer Nationwide in the US - Seekers Time - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What Is Malignant Mesothelioma Cancer? - December 21st, 2019
- mesothelioma | Definition, Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment | Britannica - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: How Has Paul Kraus Survived For Over 20 Years? - December 21st, 2019
- What to Avoid Saying to Someone with Mesothelioma - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Rediscovering the Joy of Christmas as a Mesothelioma Widow - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Tiles Used in Home Renovation Blamed for Man's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Make Certain a Navy Veteran or Shipyard... - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Ensure a Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma... - December 21st, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson scores another talc win with California mesothelioma verdict - FiercePharma - December 21st, 2019
- New Study Reveals Worse Mesothelioma Prognosis With Higher Expression of CD70 Protein - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm Karst von Oiste to Assist a Steel Mill Worker with Mesothelioma Nationwide - Get a... - December 21st, 2019
- 5 Occupations Most Affected by Mesothelioma - Occupational Health and Safety - December 13th, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste for a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma to... - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Urges an Industrial Electrician with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst... - December 13th, 2019
- Heather Von St. James Celebrates 14 Years of Survivorship - Mesothelioma.com - December 13th, 2019
- More Than Survival: Cytoreduction With HIPEC Has Psychological Benefits - Mesothelioma Guide - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Appeals to the Family of a School or Hospital Maintenance Man with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to... - December 13th, 2019
- Goodyear Must Face Jury In Face of Carpenter's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 28th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste for a Coal-Gas or Nuclear Power Plant Worker with... - October 28th, 2019
- Rare Mesothelioma Type Linked to In-Dwelling Shunts - MedPage Today - October 1st, 2019
- Disappointment Over Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma - Medscape - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Has Endorsed the Attorney Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste and Erik For a Nuclear Power Worker or... - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Answer Specific... - October 1st, 2019
- Jury awards $40.3 million in talcum powder trial | Around The State - Antelope Valley Press - October 1st, 2019
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Avoid Paying Award to Deceased Mesothelioma Victim - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Symptoms, Causes, and Prognosis Explained - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma.com | Information for Patients and Families - May 3rd, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms: Asbestos Cancer Warning Signs - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma Cancer? | Mesothelioma Book - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms - Critical Signs to Watch For - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Group | Understanding Mesothelioma Cancer ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Cancer Tutor - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | pathology | Britannica.com - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma? Learn About Causes, Survival Rates ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Cancer | Symptoms, Prognosis, & Treatment - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What are it's Causes, Symptoms & Prognosis ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center | Leading Asbestos Attorneys - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Treatments, Symptoms, Causes, Prognosis - April 8th, 2019