Mesothelioma Symptoms and Signs
Mesothelioma tumors begin as tiny nodules on the lining of the lungs or abdomen. The cancer doesnt cause symptoms until the tumors have grown and spread. This is usually around cancer stage 3 and 4, when tumors begin to press against the chest wall or abdominal cavity.
Recognizing symptoms of malignant mesothelioma early in the cancers development is nearly impossible because the disease doesnt produce early symptoms to identify.
Most early mesothelioma diagnoses happen by accident through routine X-rays or blood tests. By the time someone identifies warning signs, the cancer often has spread, making it difficult for doctors to treat.
Informing your primary care doctor about any history of asbestos exposure and seeking cancer screenings can help lead to an earlier-than-normal mesothelioma diagnosis and a much better chance of qualifying for life-extending therapy.
In the early stages of mesothelioma, you may notice:
Free information, books, wristbands and more for patients and caregivers.
The exact stage of the cancer at the time of diagnosis how far it has progressed is impossible to predict through symptoms alone. Most patients are not diagnosed until stage 3 or 4 because symptoms dont develop until later stages. The earlier the cancer is caught, the better the prognosis.
Addressing symptoms as soon as they develop can improve medical outcomes. When symptoms are identified and treated quickly, patients often benefit from higher quality of life and may live longer if the symptoms and cancer are controlled sooner.
Doctors can provide chemotherapy drugs that shrink peritoneal mesothelioma tumors and slow the growth and spread of cancer. It can be given before, during or after surgery. In some cases, doctors offer chemotherapy as the only treatment option. Chemotherapy drugs considered effective in treatment include pemetrexed, cisplatin, carboplatin and gemcitabine.
Doctors are now seeing extraordinary results with HIPEC. Once an experimental treatment, HIPEC starts with surgery to remove all visible tumors from the patients peritoneum. Next, doctors introduce a heated salt-water solution that contains chemotherapy drugs.
A machine pumps the medicine throughout the patients abdomen. This helps destroy any cancer cells left behind after surgery. Nearly half of peritoneal mesothelioma cancer patients who receive HIPEC can live at least five years after diagnosis.
This form of asbestos-related cancer develops in the lining around the heart. It is one of the rarest types of the disease. Symptoms include difficulty breathing and chest pains. They stem from thickening of the pericardium, the lining around the heart.
A lump in the testes is the most common sign of testicular mesothelioma the rarest of all types. It accounts for less than 1 percent of all mesothelioma cases.
Our patient advocates can answer your questions on mesothelioma and asbestos exposure.
Symptoms of mesothelioma and other asbestos cancers first emerge in small, subtle ways. This happens after the cancer has spread, which is around stage 3 or stage 4. Some are so minor that people and their doctors mistake them as symptoms of some other disorder or shrug them off entirely.
Mesothelioma starts to develop around 20 to 50 years after exposure to asbestos. This latency period is not related to the delayed onset of mesothelioma symptoms, but these concepts get easily confused because both involve an unexpected delay.
Symptoms usually dont make a noticeable impact on someones life until the cancer has reached a late stage. Most people who get mesothelioma of any type are diagnosed in stage 3 or stage 4. These are considered late or end stages.
I had gotten to the point where I couldnt walk without being out of breath. It scared the heck out of me. But having my lung drained was immediate relief. I felt so much better.
Although the decades-long latency period is similar with each type of the cancer, some studies suggest it is shorter for people with peritoneal mesothelioma. A 2011 study found women have a slightly longer latency period than men.
Nonspecialists often mistake pleural mesothelioma for less serious conditions. These include pneumonia, bronchial infection and COPD. People with peritoneal mesothelioma may initially be diagnosed with ovarian cancer or irritable bowel syndrome. Pericardial mesothelioma is so rare that doctors can easily confuse it with heart failure, coronary heart disease and other common heart illnesses.
I feel lucky, but I dont feel like a miracle. Ill reserve miracles for bigger and better things than me. Im just a grateful guy today who thinks every day I wake up is a gift.
A mesothelioma misdiagnosis can delay proper treatment. Anyone with a history of asbestos exposure should inform their primary care physician of their exposure. Also ask about annual cancer screenings. If you develop any abdominal or pulmonary issues in your lifetime, make sure to mention your asbestos exposure history to the medical professionals who provide your care.
The primary factor that affects the onset of mesothelioma symptoms is tumor growth and spreading.
Mesothelioma symptoms are caused by tumors that press against nerves, organs, bones and other parts of the body.
Small tumor size is the main reason why mesothelioma patients dont experience symptoms in the early stages of the cancers growth. Mesothelioma tumors typically dont become big enough to press against body parts until stage 3 or stage 4.
Our Patient Advocates can help you avoid a mesothelioma misdiagnosis by connecting you with a top doctor in your area.
Symptoms such as nerve pain that shoots down an arm may indicate cancer invasion has occurred locally in the chest. Mesothelioma tends to spread locally throughout the chest or abdominal cavity more often than spreading to distant locations throughout the body.
If you have a history of asbestos exposure and believe you have symptoms of mesothelioma, seek immediate medical attention. Tell your doctor about your exposure and alert them to the possibility of an asbestos-related disease. You will likely need to get a second opinion from a mesothelioma specialist.
Mesothelioma symptoms result from the cancer itself and may overlap with side effects caused by cancer treatment. Side effects of cancer treatment usually fade away after the treatment ends. Mesothelioma symptoms tend to progress along with the cancer. Symptom management is critical to quality of life.
Talk to your oncologist about working with a palliative care specialist. These doctors specialize in managing symptoms and improving quality of life. Many cancer centers now offer palliative care to patients undergoing treatment, even those participating in clinical trials.
Rebuilding and getting back to normal isnt a race for the swift. Its for those who can endure the highs and lows. There are small victories and setbacks. But eventually, the battle is won.
Registered Nurse and Patient Advocate
Karen Selby joined Asbestos.com in 2009. She is a registered nurse with a background in oncology and thoracic surgery and was the regional director of a tissue bank before becoming a Patient Advocate at The Mesothelioma Center. Karen has assisted surgeons with thoracic surgeries such as lung resections, lung transplants, pneumonectomies, pleurectomies and wedge resections. She is also a member of the Academy of Oncology Nurse & Patient Navigators.
9 Cited Article Sources
Last Modified March 15, 2019
Continue reading here:
- Odds of Surviving Mesothelioma Equal in Rural and Urban Australia | - Surviving Mesothelioma - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Treatment - Home of Science - May 3rd, 2020
- Study Reveals Concerning Aftereffects of Peritoneal Mesothelioma Surgery - Mesothelioma.net Blog - April 2nd, 2020
- 3 Objectives for People With Mesothelioma During Coronavirus Isolation - Mesothelioma Guide - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Pain Management with PCC - Surviving Mesothelioma - April 2nd, 2020
- California Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Urges A Person in California with Mesothelioma to Forgo the 'Free booklet and to Call for Direct Access to... - April 2nd, 2020
- Prevention key to protecting those at high risk during pandemic - Orange Leader - Orange Leader - April 2nd, 2020
- Arizona Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste To Ensure a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma Receives... - April 2nd, 2020
- Maryland US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran with Lung Cancer in Maryland Who Also Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for Direct... - April 2nd, 2020
- Mesothelioma Lawsuits and why you will need a Lawyer by your side - California Herald - March 26th, 2020
- Missouri US Navy Veterans Lung Cancer Advocate Urges a Navy Veteran or Person with Lung Cancer in Missouri Who Had Asbestos Exposure to Call for... - March 26th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Causes, symptoms, and outlook - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments, and Coping - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Symptoms | Learn the Warning Signs - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - TechMirror - February 24th, 2020
- Editorial Guidelines and Standards - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Study Examines Efficacy of Peritonectomy and Chemotherapy for Peritoneal Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.com - February 24th, 2020
- Are Mesothelioma Patients Leaving An Effective Treatment on the Table? - Mesothelioma.net Blog - February 24th, 2020
- Sheldon Silvers Attempt to Have More Conviction Appeals Heard by Court Rejected - NBC New York - February 24th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Nationwide Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of the Amazing... - February 24th, 2020
- Mesothelioma - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic - February 17th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Causes, Symptoms, Treatment & Prognosis - February 17th, 2020
- Exhaled Breath Analysis: Is it the Future of Mesothelioma Diagnosis? | - Surviving Mesothelioma - February 17th, 2020
- The dangers of asbestos: What the public should know - Penn: Office of University Communications - February 17th, 2020
- Asbestos, Ubiquitous and Unavoidable, Is a Deadly Threat to Our Kids - EcoWatch - February 17th, 2020
- German Researchers Deem Heated Chemotherapy Safe Option for Pleural Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- Facing The New Year With Malignant Mesothelioma - Mesothelioma.net Blog - January 5th, 2020
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst if the Law Firm of Karst von... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Is Open During the Holidays to Make Certain A Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma Has Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Urging a Navy Veteran or Person with Mesothelioma to Call Them Anytime During the Holidays for Direct Access to... - January 5th, 2020
- Tributes to National Express bus driver, who tragically dies of cancer aged just 29 - Birmingham Live - January 5th, 2020
- The US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate is Open Throughout the Holidays to Ensure a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Gets a Game Plan from Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- 1.5 Million UK Buildings are Exposed to Asbestos; Mesothelioma Lawyers are Helping the Victims - BO Herald - December 27th, 2019
- Congressional Hearing Examines Asbestos Detection in Talc - Mesothelioma.com - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Is Open During Holidays to Ensure a Person with Mesothelioma Gets on the Spot Compensation Advice from Attorney Erik Karst... - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: Immunotherapy a Potential Alternative to Chemotherapy - Gilmore Health News - December 27th, 2019
- St. Louis Jury Sides With Johnson & Johnson in Talc Case - The New York Times - December 27th, 2019
- Malignant Mesothelioma Market To Tell Apart Steadfast Growth Within The Course - Bulletin Line - December 27th, 2019
- Industrial Workers Affected due to Asbestos Exposure at Workplace have been Searching Mesothelioma Lawyer Nationwide in the US - Seekers Time - December 27th, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What Is Malignant Mesothelioma Cancer? - December 21st, 2019
- mesothelioma | Definition, Symptoms, Diagnosis, & Treatment | Britannica - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: How Has Paul Kraus Survived For Over 20 Years? - December 21st, 2019
- What to Avoid Saying to Someone with Mesothelioma - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Rediscovering the Joy of Christmas as a Mesothelioma Widow - Asbestos.com - December 21st, 2019
- Tiles Used in Home Renovation Blamed for Man's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Make Certain a Navy Veteran or Shipyard... - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Ensure a Power Plant or Energy Worker with Mesothelioma... - December 21st, 2019
- Johnson & Johnson scores another talc win with California mesothelioma verdict - FiercePharma - December 21st, 2019
- New Study Reveals Worse Mesothelioma Prognosis With Higher Expression of CD70 Protein - Mesothelioma.net Blog - December 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm Karst von Oiste to Assist a Steel Mill Worker with Mesothelioma Nationwide - Get a... - December 21st, 2019
- 5 Occupations Most Affected by Mesothelioma - Occupational Health and Safety - December 13th, 2019
- US Navy Veterans Mesothelioma Advocate Now Offers Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste for a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma to... - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Urges an Industrial Electrician with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst... - December 13th, 2019
- Heather Von St. James Celebrates 14 Years of Survivorship - Mesothelioma.com - December 13th, 2019
- More Than Survival: Cytoreduction With HIPEC Has Psychological Benefits - Mesothelioma Guide - December 13th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Appeals to the Family of a School or Hospital Maintenance Man with Mesothelioma to Call Them for Direct Access to... - December 13th, 2019
- Goodyear Must Face Jury In Face of Carpenter's Mesothelioma Death - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 28th, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Has Endorsed Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste for a Coal-Gas or Nuclear Power Plant Worker with... - October 28th, 2019
- Rare Mesothelioma Type Linked to In-Dwelling Shunts - MedPage Today - October 1st, 2019
- Disappointment Over Immunotherapy in Mesothelioma - Medscape - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Compensation Center Now Has Endorsed the Attorney Erik Karst of the Law Firm of Karst von Oiste and Erik For a Nuclear Power Worker or... - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Victims Center Now Offers a Navy Veteran with Mesothelioma Direct Access to Attorney Erik Karst of Karst von Oiste to Answer Specific... - October 1st, 2019
- Jury awards $40.3 million in talcum powder trial | Around The State - Antelope Valley Press - October 1st, 2019
- Judge Rejects J&J's Bid to Avoid Paying Award to Deceased Mesothelioma Victim - Mesothelioma.net Blog - October 1st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Wikipedia - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Symptoms, Causes, and Prognosis Explained - May 26th, 2019
- Mesothelioma.com | Information for Patients and Families - May 3rd, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma Cancer? | Mesothelioma Book - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Symptoms - Critical Signs to Watch For - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Group | Understanding Mesothelioma Cancer ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma - Cancer Tutor - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | pathology | Britannica.com - April 21st, 2019
- What is Mesothelioma? Learn About Causes, Survival Rates ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Cancer | Symptoms, Prognosis, & Treatment - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma: What are it's Causes, Symptoms & Prognosis ... - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma Lawyer Center | Leading Asbestos Attorneys - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center - April 21st, 2019
- Mesothelioma | Treatments, Symptoms, Causes, Prognosis - April 8th, 2019