The forecast is based on 380,000 bearing acres, up 4% from 2019s estimated bearing acreage of 365,000.
A warm and dry January and February meant growers started irrigating early. The 2020 chilling hours were low. Leaf-out was prolonged, which resulted in uneven canopy and nut development. April rains increased blight risk. Nut sets looked good, with reports of tree limbs heavy with nuts. Harvest is expected to begin in early September, ahead of last year.
Survey data indicated an average nut set per tree of 1,197, up 22% from 2019s average of 983. However, growers fear a larger crop will continue to bring prices down.
Lumber prices have surged to a fresh record high of $932 per 1000 board feet in August amid continuing high demand from the renovation and new home markets. Prices are triple what they were in May. Alongside the strong demand were a supply shortage as mills failed to anticipate the coronavirus pandemic setting off a building boom.
Sunshine Reality/Dimension Energy plans to erect a 4-megawatt solar farm at 7227 West Doe on 20 acres in the Visalia Industrial Park. The project is part of Southern California Edisons community solar program.
Californias Employment Development Department reports that agricultural employment in 2020 was 20% to 30% lower than in 2019, with the largest drop in June 2020.
The reductions in agricultural employment varied by county. Agricultural employment in Fresno County was down five percent in spring and summer 2020 compared the same period of 2019, down 25 to 35 percent in Kern County, and down 35 to 45 percent in Monterey County.
In Tulare County as of July there were 12,100 fewer farm jobs compared to July 2019, the height of the summer harvest season for many crops. There were 27,100 workers in the fields vs 39,2000 the year before. That is about a one third decline.
Kings County was hit less hard with farm jobs dropping 1,000 from 8,200 to 7,200 in July, year over year.
Observers say grocery store sales for many crops are higher but restaurant sales are way down.
Starbucks has opened a location in Goshen east of the new Betty Drive interchange. It the latest national retailer to see a future in this Hwy 99 community. In the works are two large fueling stations with more food choice including a new Burger King.
Rogers Jewelers may be gone from Caldwell Avenue in Visalia but a next door furniture store will expand into the 5,000-square foot space says property owner George Ouzounian. Mattress specialists Drop Box has leased the space and will expand their retail store in Visalia.
Homeless advocates Salt and Light, based in Tulare, are negotiating with Tulare County to site a micro-home village in Visalia. The potential site includes locations both north and south of the county owned Government Plaza complex on south Mooney on open land. The nonprofit plans to build intentional, master-planned communities designed to lift people experiencing chronic homelessness off the streets of Tulare County.
The rest is here:
- How will we live together? The Middlebury Campus - Middlebury Campus - September 18th, 2020
- Closing Thoughts: Being Intentional About Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - All Together - Society of Women Engineers - September 18th, 2020
- Governor Cuomo Announces Insurance Fraud Action Against Johnson & Johnson for Leading Role in the Opioid Crisis - ny.gov - September 18th, 2020
- He speaks their language: UW medical student trained in Brewster this summer - wenatcheeworld.com - September 18th, 2020
- Philanthropy, Race and Overcoming Lack of Access to Networks - Triple Pundit - September 18th, 2020
- Biden campaign grows more diverse with people of color making up nearly half of staff - CNN - September 18th, 2020
- No Justice, No Peace: On The Role of Violence - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - September 18th, 2020
- Keys to addressing diversity, equity and inclusion in real estate - Inman - September 18th, 2020
- When diversity and inclusion are part of the mission - The Advocate - September 18th, 2020
- Massacres in Colombia Lay Bare Next Phase of the Conflict - NACLA - September 18th, 2020
- OPINION: Creating equal access to energy efficiency crucial for cities like Fall River - Fall River Herald News - September 18th, 2020
- OPINION: IU and Bloomington exacerbate violence against those without homes - Indiana Daily Student - September 18th, 2020
- Environmental racial injustice highlighted by lack of diversity in advocacy groups - WTMJ-TV - September 18th, 2020
- Washington University bolsters its promise to St. Louis community - Washington University in St. Louis Newsroom - September 2nd, 2020
- Why Im leaving The Forward to become a rabbi - Forward - September 2nd, 2020
- SIUE Receives 2020 Higher Education Excellence In Diversity Award - RiverBender.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Kenosha residents say they're wary of becoming backdrop for the 2020 presidential campaign - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - September 2nd, 2020
- The State of Diversity and Inclusion Technology in the Workplace - CMSWire - September 2nd, 2020
- How to defund the police without creating another George Zimmerman - Insider - INSIDER - September 2nd, 2020
- Members of Georgia football team gather outside Holmes-Hunter Building in support of social justice - Red and Black - September 2nd, 2020
- Deesha Philyaws new story collection is window into the rich, varied lives of Black women - PGH City Paper - September 2nd, 2020
- Latinx Meaning: The Origin and Importance of the Inclusive Term - GoodHousekeeping.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Drexel professor's app allows choir members to create music apart but together - Generocity - September 2nd, 2020
- 'It's time to do better': A call for action in Jacob Blake's hometown of Evanston, Illinois - Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - September 2nd, 2020
- Dylann Roof and Kyle Rittenhouse Are Proof That Racism Won't Just "Age Out" - HarpersBAZAAR.com - September 2nd, 2020
- Mia Dands Fight For Inclusion To Save Humanity From The Dark Side Of AI - Forbes - September 2nd, 2020
- Artist of the Moment: Maria Gaspar - Newcity Art - September 2nd, 2020
- The NAACP Convention That Never Came to Town - Boston magazine - September 2nd, 2020
- Segregation in 2020: Why Arent We Moving Forward? - Newswise - September 2nd, 2020
- Choose Your Own Adventure with a Degree in Theatre Arts - Ole Miss News - Ole Miss News - September 2nd, 2020
- Guns were turned in after Kenosha shooting, but Antioch police won't say who owned them - MyWebTimes.com - September 2nd, 2020
- They Know How to Prevent Megafires. Why Won't Anybody Listen? - Mother Jones - September 2nd, 2020
- Leadership Transition When a Founder's Star Is on the Rise - Stanford Social Innovation Review - September 2nd, 2020
- Families and organizers hope for progress in murder charge of Auburn police officer - The International Examiner - September 2nd, 2020
- Storefronts at buddy's place: These windows in OTR offer a voice to the community - The Cincinnati Enquirer - August 28th, 2020
- Hurricane Laura the latest blow to residents of one HUD-subsidized community in Galveston - HousingWire - August 28th, 2020
- The People Of Belarus Are Rising Up Against 'Europe's Last Dictator'. But Is The Tide Turning Against Them? - The Organization for World Peace - August 28th, 2020
- Fresh Thyme Partners with The Distillery Project to Release New Advertising Campaign and New Company Logo - PerishableNews - August 28th, 2020
- Teen charged in killings of BLM protesters considered himself a militia member - The Guardian - August 28th, 2020
- Spurred by calls for reform, Palo Alto backs restrictions on police use of force - Palo Alto Online - August 28th, 2020
- Opinion: New York Needs Its Own Voting Rights Act - City Limits - August 28th, 2020
- Race and Higher Education in Virginia - Diverse: Issues in Higher Education - August 28th, 2020
- Escape From the Nuclear Family: Covid-19 Should Provoke a Rethink of How We Live - The Intercept - August 10th, 2020
- Communities Suffering from Pollution Demand Justice - The Intercept - August 10th, 2020
- Guest View: Never again to nuclear weapons - Opinion - The Register-Guard - August 10th, 2020
- These 7 gardens in Lancaster save rain and attract bees; see them in a free walking tour - Fly Magazine - August 10th, 2020
- New Report Focuses on Trump Administrations Intentional Disregard Throughout Its Failed COVID-19 Response - Common Dreams - August 10th, 2020
- Letters to the Editor August 10, 2020 by Submitted - Geauga Maple Leaf - August 10th, 2020
- Redlining, racism and climate change: A history of interconnected harms and solutions - Red, Green, and Blue - August 10th, 2020
- Adlers Austin: 5 takeaways from State of the City address - Austin American-Statesman - August 10th, 2020
- PHA responds to activist takeover of empty houses - WHYY - August 10th, 2020
- Macon mayoral candidates Miller, Whitby on busting blight and fixing roads - 13WMAZ.com - August 10th, 2020
- Carson Group Partners with AAAA Foundation to Inspire & Empower the Next Generation of Black Financial Planners - Herald-Mail Media - August 10th, 2020
- Viewpoints: Fighting a pandemic of disinformation | HeraldNet.com - The Daily Herald - August 10th, 2020
- The 1st edition of Independent Iraqi Film Festival to kick off from August 21-28 - Egypttoday - August 10th, 2020
- Governor Whitmer signs executive directive recognizing racism as a public health crisis WBKB 11 - WBKB-TV - August 10th, 2020
- Virtual meetings offer tips, strategies to cope with Covid-19 - thelandonline.com - August 10th, 2020
- Chicago Native American Organizer On The Intersection Of Black Lives Matter And Decolonization - Patch.com - August 10th, 2020
- I Founded BLAQUE Fitness to Make Sure Black Communities Had an Inclusive Place to Work Out - Well+Good - August 9th, 2020
- U.S. to raise naturalization application fee by more than 80 percent - Fall River Herald News - August 9th, 2020
- Watch now: A heightened focus on Central Illinois police agencies' efforts to diversify - Bloomington Pantagraph - August 9th, 2020
- Richland Source joins statewide collaborative to shed light on local voters in 'Ohio Values' - Richland Source - August 9th, 2020
- Intentional community - Wikipedia - August 8th, 2020
- Why Americans of All Ages Are Embracing Communal Living - August 8th, 2020
- 10 Utopian Intentional Communities with Distinct Values - August 8th, 2020
- I Stumbled Into an Intentional Community. Heres What I ... - August 8th, 2020
- Ashland Source joins statewide collaborative to shed light on local voters in 'Ohio Values' - Ashland Source - August 8th, 2020
- The Economy Reimagined, Part 3: Climate and Technology - Marketplace - August 8th, 2020
- Coalition of BIPOC Artists in Milwaukee Writes Letter to Milwaukee Theater Community - Shepherd Express - August 8th, 2020
- Tampa woman's podcast club turns focus on minority mental health - Creative Loafing Tampa - August 8th, 2020
- We Have No Choice But to Do Better: Cook County Pledges to Address Increase in Black Suicides - The Trace - August 8th, 2020
- Black conspiracism in the age of Covid-19and how to fight it - The Philadelphia Citizen - August 8th, 2020
- How To Build Diverse And Inclusive Coworking Spaces - Allwork.Space - August 8th, 2020
- Equity means including Black Detroiters in the arts, too | Opinion - Detroit Free Press - August 7th, 2020
- Will 2021 Be the Year of CX as North Star? - Customer Think - August 7th, 2020
- Intentional Communities Touchstone Mental Health - August 7th, 2020
- Hakhel Wins Prestigious Jerusalem Unity Prize | Teaneck ... - August 7th, 2020
- Health Disparities, Transportation Equity and Complete Streets: a Case Study of a Policy Development Process through the Lens of Critical Race Theory... - August 6th, 2020
- Inside out: Jumping on wagons and worldliness - The Deming Headlight - August 6th, 2020
- Outbreaks and pandemics periods can be stressful, but how can we turn it to a positive life-changing experience? - The European Sting - August 6th, 2020