I have a kitchen phobia.
Given the choice of chopping an onion or ordering takeout, Im on the phone in a snap. So I wasnt happy when a friend signed me up for a culinary arts class on a recent cruise, especially because it was a French cooking course.
Wow. French cuisine. This seemed alarmingly like super-chef territory to me; no place for someone who cant remember the last time she turned on her stove. I dreamed about sitting on my balcony watching the high seas slide by instead.
But then I walked into an elaborate kitchen classroom and got a panoramic view of the high seas sliding by. Plus a bountiful selection of French wines to drink and lots of shiny equipment to use. Maybe this wouldnt be so bad after all.
I was on the 11th deck of the Regent Seven Seas Explorer, a 3-year-old luxe-class ship sailing off Norway on this balmy August day. The Explorer and its sister ship the Splendor are outfitted with a culinary arts kitchen and 18 workstations that include induction cooktops, stainless steel sinks, and a comprehensive collection of spatulas, knives and other cooking essentials, not to mention helpers who chop your ingredients and clean up after you.
The only thing a participant has to do is drink lots of wine while the food is cooking and eat it after its done. Not surprisingly, the 2-hour classes, which cost $89, are hot tickets.
Onboard cooking classes are popular on most cruise ships that offer them. Holland America Line offers live cooking shows, demonstrations and hands-on workshops. For $39, you can enroll in a class in which youll learn how to decorate a cake, bake a perfect pie or create your own homemade pasta.
Oceania Cruises, a longtime leader in onboard cooking, has Culinary Centers on its ships Riviera and Marina. Participants learn about regional cuisines and brush up on skills such as barbecuing. They learn from master chefs, who may accompany them on port-stop shopping excursions at local markets. Buy it in the morning; cook it in the afternoon.
Although hands-on cooking classes arent available on most ships, culinary demonstrations have become popular on many lines, including Crystal, Disney, Norwegian, Princess and Seabourn. Some lines, such as Azamara, offer cooking lessons onboard and in port. Most lines, including Carnival and Royal Caribbean, include land-based cooking classes in their excursions.
My Seven Seas Explorer class, with the intimidating name La Technique Franaise, featured chef Nolle Barille, who has taught cooking-at-sea classes for seven years. Every day, seven to 10 classes, she said cheerfully.
This is about fun, not about being perfect, she told us. That was good news.
Were not going to go super fast like Top Chef. We want to enjoy this, not be stressed.
We drank a little wine for starters, then went to the front of the class en masse to watch Barille demonstrate the first dish, classic mustard vinaigrette with greens. The menu also included steak bistro and dessert crpes. I couldnt imagine being able to make the crpes, but I was game to try.
But first, we were working on the salad dressing. While whisking the vinegar and mustard vigorously, slowly add the olive oil in a thin, steady stream to form an emulsion, Barille said, stirring mightily and adding oil drop by drop.
This is the most important part of the recipe; if you dont get this right, youre in trouble, she said. Barilles dressing was beginning to cloud, a sure sign she had done it correctly.
We retreated to our mini-kitchens, drank some wine and began to whisk like crazy.
I never knew you had to do it this way, I overheard my friend Wendi saying. Its working.
Mine was working too: The emulsion was clouding, and the dressing was becoming thicker. We dressed the greens and then tasted. Amazing flavor. I drank more wine to celebrate, wondering momentarily if great cooks always drank wine to help them get it right.
Maybe that was what I had been doing wrong all these years.
Or maybe all I need is a couple of helpers who appear miraculously whenever things get a little messy. Plus the wine, of course.
- Alta Mar season 4 Netflix release date: Will there be another series of High Seas? - Express - August 7th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 3 cast: Who is in the cast of High Seas? - Express - August 7th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 7th, 2020
- To Protect Seabed, Countries Should Thoroughly Review Proposed Mining Projects - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 7th, 2020
- What series to watch this weekend on Netflix, HBO and Prime Video: The extraordinary Playlist of Zoey and the High Sea | Entertainment - Explica - August 7th, 2020
- GTA Online is getting new missions, cars, and races next week - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Puerto Rico to Repair Pier 3 in San Juan - The Weekly Journal - August 7th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- The US military has options against China | TheHill - The Hill - August 7th, 2020
- The best and most beautiful boating holidays in the UK and Europe this year - iNews - August 7th, 2020
- Muddying the Waters - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - August 7th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Review: A murder, a deadly virus and new players put Eva on guard but where is Nicolas? - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- Apple's Refreshed 27-Inch iMac Looks to Be a Powerhouse and the End of an Era - Gizmodo UK - August 7th, 2020
- Here's Everything New Coming To Netflix This Week, August 6 - BuzzFeed - August 7th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 7th, 2020
- Whats new on Netflix in August 2020 all the shows and movies coming soon - RadioTimes - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Preview: Eva and Carolina need to solve the new mystery before it's too late - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3: Meet Ivana Baquero, Jon Kortajarena and rest of the cast of the Netflix series - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Windbound Preview - The Most Relaxing Survival Game You'll Play This Year - Twinfinite - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Video: Boxship Arrives in UAE With Toppled Containers - The Maritime Executive - August 3rd, 2020
- The Galapagos islands face an invasion of trawlers - The Economist - August 3rd, 2020
- The story behind the latest humongous ship to dock at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Live - August 3rd, 2020
- There are three scenarios at play - Press of Atlantic City - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas When Will Season 3 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar 'High Seas' Season 3: Has The Official Discussed Its Arrival And The Possible Storyline - The Digital Wise - July 31st, 2020
- Best swimming headphones 2020: best waterproof earbuds for the pool and the high seas - T3 - July 31st, 2020
- What are the long-term prospects for offshore wind? | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - July 31st, 2020
- Life is Strange - Partners in Time Comic Continues Max and Chloe's Story, Set to Release This October - Gameranx - July 31st, 2020
- Players team up on demand for Sea of Thieves to hit PS4 - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in August 2020 - Netflix Life - July 31st, 2020
- East Ladakh LAC Standoff: Winter is Coming - News Intervention - July 31st, 2020
- The Best Movies to Stream This Weekend in Seattle: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 31st, 2020
- China has won control of the South China Sea. Now we wait for Beijing's next move - ABC News - July 31st, 2020
- Flags of Convenience in Merchant Shipping - Sea News - July 31st, 2020
- 'Bartlow's Dread Machine' (ALL) Available On Steam Early Access - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - July 30th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - E-Flux - July 30th, 2020
- How to find Ashen Lords in Sea of Thieves Ashen Winds update - Gamepur - July 30th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Adds Auto Float Accessibility Option To Help Players With Underwater Phobias - GameSpot - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Movies and Shows to Watch in Portland This Weekend: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- 'High Seas'/'Alta Mar' Season 3: Release date, plot, cast and all you need to know about the show's return - MEAWW - July 30th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas season 3: Are We Getting It Soon Or We Have To Wait - The Digital Wise - July 29th, 2020
- Lockdown on the high seas | TheHill - The Hill - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaas, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 28th, 2020
- Sea ice extent in the Arctic reaches historical low in July - The Independent Barents Observer - July 28th, 2020
- Galapagos Islands: 'Protection strategy' set up after 'hundreds of Chinese fishing vessels' spotted nearby - Sky News - July 28th, 2020
- Why Waterworld Was a Failure in the '90s But Is Actually Much Better Than We Remember - Esquire.com - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaias, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 27th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - July 27th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - July 26th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - July 26th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - July 26th, 2020
- How we recruited albatrosses to patrol the high seas for illegal fishers - MENAFN.COM - July 26th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Liked Greyhound | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - July 26th, 2020
- How to stop China completing its takeover of the South China Sea - The Strategist - July 26th, 2020
- Fisheries Subsidies Reform Could Reduce Overfishing and Illegal Fishing, Case Studies Find - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 26th, 2020
- HMS Challenger: The voyage that birthed oceanography - BBC News - July 26th, 2020
- High seas adventures and hilarity all part of 'Salty' - Petoskey News-Review - July 20th, 2020
- Global Fisheries Need Better Governance to Sustain Key Stocks - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 20th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship Hosting World's Only Biker Cruise in 2021 - Cruise Fever - July 20th, 2020
- Pirate attacks have doubled in Asia thanks to the coronavirus - New York Post - July 20th, 2020
- Top 10 world news: UK suspends extradition treaty, Oxford vaccine trials, and more - WION - July 20th, 2020
- The Pentagon confronts the pandemic - NationofChange - July 20th, 2020
- With Skull And Bones Missing, King Of Seas May Be Your Pirate ARRPG This Year - TechRaptor - July 20th, 2020
- 129 years in the UAE: My family's journey through the birth of a country - Gulf News - July 20th, 2020
- Justice League Death Metal Tie-In Introduces Major Villain: The Omega Knight - CBR - Comic Book Resources - July 20th, 2020