Ever since I laid eyes on Windbound in its announcement trailer, I was intrigued. Its open world elements and the freedom it gives players to explore its high seas and the uncharted islands that nestle themselves in it evoked that same sense of mystifying wonder that some of my personal favorites of recent years like Breath of the Wild, and What Remains of Edith Finch perfected in their open world design and narrative respectively. Theres a lot to love about Windbound, even if it is a rather simple survival game.
I was recently given the opportunity to go hands-on with Windbounds opening section, and a short segment of gameplay from later on in the game, and came away feeling pretty darn positive about the whole thing.
Players find themselves in control of Kara, a young warrior who finds herself shipwrecked and completely on her own on the Forbidden Islands. With nothing to her name, she must find a way to survive by hunting and scavenging the various islands she stumbles upon as she explores the high seas.
The first segment we played took place at the very beginning of Karas adventure. I explored typical uninhabited islands, with flora and fauna bringing bursts of color to the beige sands and blue waters that enveloped them. Windbounds art style is the first thing youll notice, clearly taking cues from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
It doesnt just look pretty, but feels like a perfect match for the constant sense of discovery and adventure that Windbound dripfeeds you. Theres detail and beauty in its environments, without going down the photorealism route. Windbounds visuals are timelessly beautiful.
As I reached the first island, I found a large pillar. Interacting with this pillar triggered some sort of beacon, and one of three icons on my screen was illuminated upon doing so. Youre never told what you should or shouldnt be doing in Windbound, so assuming I was on the right path, I hopped onto my small boat and took to the seas to try and find the remaining two.
Sailing actually feels pretty good, too, with players required to row or sail their ship from island to island. Wind direction is a significant factor you have to taken into account when traveling, tightening or loosening your sails depending on whether youre sailing into, across, or with the wind.
From our time in stages one and four of Windbound, sailing certainly feels to provide an ample gameplay challenge as the game progresses with choppier waters and harsher winds in the latter stage compared to the relatively tranquil seas in the first. It gets you thinking more about how youll reach your destination and what ship upgrades may benefit you most on your quest.
Youll spend a lot of time sailing the turbulent seas of Windbound and as became clear when we were skipped forward to the games fourth stage, the means in which you island hop can be customized to your own specifications. Do you want multiple sails, or no sails at all? Do you want to add bamboo decking and build a bag rack to help bolster your carry capacity, or would you rather place a campfire on it so you can quickly cook meat or make leather from animal hides? The choice is entirely yours, and ultimately feeds into how your Windbound experience unfolds.
Thats the beauty of Windbound. Even in the two sections of the game this preview is focused on, I never felt like I had to do anything in any particular way, or that I was being pressured to push on to the next section. I was free to venture off the beaten path and have Kara explore the farthest corners of the stages map the fog of war only being cleared as I sailed over it as long as I could survive.
Windbound is a survival game, and so you will need to manage Karas health and stamina gauges by foraging, hunting and preparing food. Berries can be found on some islands, giving you a small boost to health and stamina, or you can take down one of the native creatures and cook its meat to restore a larger amount. Ive never been the biggest fan of hunger and thirst meters in games theyre never really fun, lets be honest and I felt no different in Windbound.
Fortunately, it never felt overwhelming enough to detract from the standout sections of Windbound. Uncovering a new island seldom gets boring. Thanks to procedurally-generated islands, each time you uncover one you never know quite what youre going to get.
Our time in Chapter 4 only reinforced this, with swampy islands popping up to offer some variation on our adventure. With these came new creatures to battle and strip for resources, flora and fauna to create new tools and ship upgrades, and more story tidbits to uncover.
It was only during my stint in Chapter 4 that one of Windbounds most significant downsides became clear. Those three beacons we were seeking out in the games first chapter appear to be the recurring main objective. This would have been fine had they perhaps got trickier to scale and interact with, but they dont.
While we dont know exactly how the rest of the game will pan out, the similarities from what we could gather between Chapters 1 and 4 in their main objectives were a little disappointing. Sure, you may have to beat a few different enemy types along the way, but it still all feels a little too simple. Climb some conveniently-placed pillars, interact with the beacon, move on.
Speaking of enemy types, Windbounds combat feels a little barebones. Youll have an arsenal of spears, slings and even bows and arrows to use, but youll be able to stab and fire your ranged weapon, and perform a basic dodge. Thats it. Theres nothing more to it. While there are a few different types of projectile, my battles with enemies often resulted in repeated stabbing attacks with my spear and the occasional slinging of a rock.
From what Ive played of Windbound, it may be one of the most tranquil, relaxing and mysterious games Ive played this year. I can imagine myself kicking back after a long day and getting lost on its towering waves and tucked-away islands, desperately trying to piece together the secrets these forbidden waters hide. Its main objectives may get a little samey, and the combat a little too linear, but I still want to keep exploring all the same.
Originally posted here:
- Dog saved on the high seas - kdvr.com - September 4th, 2020
- Vault of the Ancients update brings dogs and treasures to Sea of Thieves - PC Invasion - September 4th, 2020
- Piracy in 2020: the trends you need to know - Lexology - September 4th, 2020
- 'We are closer to the other side of this crisis every day' Cruise boss confident of a return to sea - Telegraph.co.uk - September 4th, 2020
- How Chinas Massive Fishing Fleet Is Transforming the Worlds Oceans - Slate - September 4th, 2020
- Apps and after: Chinas growing naval muscle will have to be jointly countered - The Times of India Blog - September 4th, 2020
- The human impact of organized crime in fisheries extends far beyond the ocean - GreenBiz - September 4th, 2020
- The Italian Navy Arrives in World of Warships: Legends - War History Online - September 4th, 2020
- 42 Crew, Nearly 6000 Cows Missing After Ship Sinks In Storm-Tossed Seas Off Japan - NPR - September 4th, 2020
- Can the world unite to combat illegal fishing? - Equal Times - September 4th, 2020
- Ocean Infrastructure Has Basically Created Cities at Sea - Gizmodo - September 4th, 2020
- Urgent action needed for small-scale fishers to withstand the climate crisis says new WWF repor - WWF International - September 4th, 2020
- Reducing inequalities to save the planet - ScienceBlog.com - September 4th, 2020
- Is China Behind a Recent Insurgent Attack in India's Northeast? - The Diplomat - September 4th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 4? Is There Any Possibility? - The Buzz Paper - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 3: Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And All New Latest Information Here - World Top Trend - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 3 cast: Who is in the cast of High Seas? - Express - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 Expected Release Date, Cast Info and Every Other Detail - News Lagoon - August 10th, 2020
- Shark Week 2020: How The Pandemic Added To This Years Programming - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Oil Leak Stopped from Bulker as Mauritius Prepares for the Worst Case - The Maritime Executive - August 10th, 2020
- What series to watch this weekend on Netflix, HBO and Prime Video: The extraordinary Playlist of Zoey and the High Sea | Entertainment - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Information sharing with regional partners aims to reel in transnational crime syndicates - Mirage News - August 10th, 2020
- African states are critical in advancing ocean governance - The Patriotic Vanguard - August 10th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 10th, 2020
- Tuesday's weather: Mainly fine and cool, but high seas in Western Cape and fire alerts elsewhere - News24 - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 : Will The Spanish Series Return For On Netflix? - Topbuzztrends.com - August 10th, 2020
- 'They just pull up everything!' Chinese fleet raises fears for Galpagos sea life - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - NWAOnline - August 10th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 10th, 2020
- The best and most beautiful boating holidays in the UK and Europe this year - iNews - August 10th, 2020
- Maintaining Command of the Sea: Maritime Doctrines of Pakistan and India - Modern Diplomacy - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 4 Netflix release date: Will there be another series of High Seas? - Express - August 7th, 2020
- To Protect Seabed, Countries Should Thoroughly Review Proposed Mining Projects - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 7th, 2020
- GTA Online is getting new missions, cars, and races next week - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Puerto Rico to Repair Pier 3 in San Juan - The Weekly Journal - August 7th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- The US military has options against China | TheHill - The Hill - August 7th, 2020
- Muddying the Waters - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Review: A murder, a deadly virus and new players put Eva on guard but where is Nicolas? - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- Apple's Refreshed 27-Inch iMac Looks to Be a Powerhouse and the End of an Era - Gizmodo UK - August 7th, 2020
- Here's Everything New Coming To Netflix This Week, August 6 - BuzzFeed - August 7th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 7th, 2020
- Whats new on Netflix in August 2020 all the shows and movies coming soon - RadioTimes - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Preview: Eva and Carolina need to solve the new mystery before it's too late - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3: Meet Ivana Baquero, Jon Kortajarena and rest of the cast of the Netflix series - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Video: Boxship Arrives in UAE With Toppled Containers - The Maritime Executive - August 3rd, 2020
- The Galapagos islands face an invasion of trawlers - The Economist - August 3rd, 2020
- The story behind the latest humongous ship to dock at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Live - August 3rd, 2020
- There are three scenarios at play - Press of Atlantic City - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas When Will Season 3 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar 'High Seas' Season 3: Has The Official Discussed Its Arrival And The Possible Storyline - The Digital Wise - July 31st, 2020
- Best swimming headphones 2020: best waterproof earbuds for the pool and the high seas - T3 - July 31st, 2020
- What are the long-term prospects for offshore wind? | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - July 31st, 2020
- Life is Strange - Partners in Time Comic Continues Max and Chloe's Story, Set to Release This October - Gameranx - July 31st, 2020
- Players team up on demand for Sea of Thieves to hit PS4 - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in August 2020 - Netflix Life - July 31st, 2020
- East Ladakh LAC Standoff: Winter is Coming - News Intervention - July 31st, 2020
- The Best Movies to Stream This Weekend in Seattle: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 31st, 2020
- China has won control of the South China Sea. Now we wait for Beijing's next move - ABC News - July 31st, 2020
- Flags of Convenience in Merchant Shipping - Sea News - July 31st, 2020