Back in my day, jocks and nerds didnt get along much, but it seems such old distinctions are now gone. Making its debut at halftime during Monday Night Football, the final trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delighted athletes and asthmatics alike. We are all united when it comes to Jedi, droids and Wookiees.
The Rise of Skywalker is billed as the culmination of the sequel-trilogy, or non-ology, or whatever you call the main Star Wars storyline. There will be more from the galaxy far, far away (The Mandalorian is just around the corner on Disneys streaming service) but for material directly connected with George Lucass 1977 original, this is it. Or at least until its Daisy Ridley and John Boyega as the elder statespeople passing the lightsaber to the next generation. (Dont think that wont happen.)
As the new trailer launched, there were many questions. Is Rey an everywoman, or is she to the cosmic manor born? Will Kylo Ren revert to the light side? Will Finn and Rose live happily ever after? Can Poe Dameron be any more dreamy?
And how will Luke Skywalker fit in, now he is dead? How exactly will Emperor Palpatine, AKA Darth Sidious, fit in, since hes been dead since 1983? How smooth will the repurposed footage of General Leia look, since Carrie Fisher died before production of this movie began? And for the hardcore, is that ship in the background really the Ghost from the animated series Star Wars Rebels? (All signs point to yes.)
This is a JJ Abrams film, so zilch of substance was revealed in this latest promo. But here were the five moments where we made noises that most resembled millions of voices crying out in terror (in a good way).
The third film in each Star Wars trilogy has, thus far, involved a reversal of what true nerds call alignment. In Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader became good. Yay! In Revenge of the Sith, Anakin Skywalker turned bad. Boo! Will this new one be the tiebreaker? We hope so. And we hope it involves Rey forgiving Kylo Ren his transgressions and the two of them having a big smooch somewhere with the wind blowing her robes and his wavy hair.
But until that can happen, theres going to be some fighting, and it looks like some of that will be on the high seas. Adam Driver looks diabolical emerging from the water and holding his red, cruciform lightsaber like some kind of upside-down trident.
Palpatine is back in this new one. How how how? No one saw it coming, so we should have expected it.
Weve yet to see Ian McDiarmid in any of the promotional materials is it really him, or his Force ghost? but weve heard him laugh and now weve heard him say spooky things such as Long have I waited! (Never keep McDiarmid standing in a queue; hes terrifying!) Its unclear exactly what the Darth Formerly Known As Sidious has been waiting for, but we can guess as to the where: a crazy-looking stone throne that would make even Thanos wince!
I thought we had got all the Star Death out of the way with The Last Jedi. Vice-Admiral Holdo sacrificed herself by hyperdriving the Raddus into a fleet of Star Destroyers and Luke Skywalker evaporated after his Force Projection. Then there was Carrie Fisher who actually died. Couldnt our tear ducts maybe take a movie off?
Well, no. I just didnt think it would be C-3PO, the protocol droid who along with R2-D2 has been in every Star Wars movie thus far, to be the one to go. A solemn farewell moment in this trailer makes it seem as if thats the case.
When George Lucas (remember him?) was first dreaming up these stories (and giving them tongue-twister titles such as Adventures of the Starkiller as taken from The Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars) his influences were varied. Yes, he was reading Joseph Campbell. Yes, he was watching Akira Kurosawa. But he was always inspired by cheap, dopey film serials from the 1940s and earlier. To that end, this shot of our heroes on a fleet of interplanetary horses (they arent tauntauns!) really brings it all home. Its fun to see new character Jannah (Naomi Ackie) leading the charge, and outstanding to see BB-8 zooming alongside them.
Each trilogy is about one persons journey. The prequels were about Anakin, the original trilogy was about Luke and the sequel trilogy is about Rey. The final shot of this trailer, with the digital sparkle added to her eyes (unless Abrams blinded her on set!), is a gorgeous image of a new icon. And the voice from elsewhere in the room (or maybe from beyond) echoes some memorable lines from the first film: The Force will be with you, says Luke. Always, adds Leia.
Excuse me, someone must be chopping up space onions in here!
- THE HIGH SEAS: Brunswick looks bounce back and send seniors off on high note - Brunswick News - November 1st, 2019
- This Cruise Line Sails 5-Star Luxury Hotels On The High Seas. I Had To Find Out More. - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Opinion | Another auto merger across the high seas - Livemint - November 1st, 2019
- What's Leaving Netflix in November 2019? All the Movies and Shows on Last Call List - Newsweek - November 1st, 2019
- Highland cadets witness life on the high seas on UK's newest aircraft carrier - Press and Journal - November 1st, 2019
- These are the cities that will drown first as the seas rise - Salon - November 1st, 2019
- Ghost Nets Haunt the World's Oceans, Hunting Beyond the Grave - Atlas Obscura - November 1st, 2019
- The Below Deck Crew Will Spill All the High-Seas Secrets in the Season 7 After Show - Bravo - November 1st, 2019
- Storm surge, flooding caused by freak weather conditions - HeraldLIVE - November 1st, 2019
- Long: The tragedy in Britain wasn't unique - Roanoke Times - November 1st, 2019
- Rising Seas Are Going to Drown Way More Cities Than Wed Thought: Study - New York Magazine - November 1st, 2019
- New charges announced in conspiracy to bring massive amounts of cocaine into US, central Ohio - 10TV - November 1st, 2019
- Cities to be erased by 2050: Rising seas could affect three times more people - NEWS.com.au - November 1st, 2019
- 19 tons of cocaine and cannabis worth $380MILLION seized off Florida making massive dent in Colombian drug - The Sun - November 1st, 2019
- High winds expected for most of Friday, especially along the coast - Bangor Daily News - November 1st, 2019
- Let's Send the U.S. Navy's 'Stealthy' Destroyer Back in Time to Fight a World War II Battle - The National Interest Online - November 1st, 2019
- Ecuador: A Cocaine Superhighway to the US and Europe - Insightcrime.org - November 1st, 2019
- Rising seas will erase more cities by 2050, including Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Mumbai, new research shows - The Straits Times - November 1st, 2019
- Tens of Millions Could Be Hit by Sea Level Rise Sooner Than Thought, New Study Suggests - The Weather Channel - November 1st, 2019
- The ice used to protect them. Now their island is crumbling into the sea. - msnNOW - November 1st, 2019
- Chef Curtis Stone takes fine dining to the high seas with Princess Cruises - 7NEWS - October 24th, 2019
- Chocolate-themed cruise to become Willy Wonka factory on the high seas - INQUIRER.net - October 24th, 2019
- What The Truck?!? [podcast] Piracy on the high seas, drone deliveries, cybersecurity, and strikes - FreightWaves - October 24th, 2019
- Get Ready To Set Sail at Online Casinos On the High Seas and Join Peter Pan in LOST BOYS LOOT - Tunf.com News - October 24th, 2019
- SMOOTH SAILING: Couple tie the knot on the high seas - Morning Bulletin - October 24th, 2019
- Oldsmar wants to spend $125,000 on a climate assessment. Heres what that means. - Tampa Bay Times - October 24th, 2019
- 80 years ago a Connecticut inventor patented an icon of prepdom: the boat shoe. - Connecticut Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Britain was built on the backs of slaves. A memorial is the least they deserve - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Tony Winner Brian Stokes Mitchell Will Host 11th Annual Broadway Salutes - Playbill.com - October 24th, 2019
- Best Shots Advance Review: MARAUDERS #1 'Shows What It's Like to Live in that Weird, Crazy World' - Newsarama - October 24th, 2019
- This Fisherman Wants Us To Use The Oceans To Fight Climate Change - HuffPost - October 24th, 2019
- JMA warns of landslides, high waves as Typhoon Bualoi strikes islands south of Tokyo - The Mainichi - October 24th, 2019
- How America Learned How to Hunt and Kill Submarines (Thank World War I) - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- SSN(X) Will Be the U.S. Navy's New Attack Submarine: Here's How to Make it A Success - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- Cruises: New cruise ship could help beat seasickness with this clever feature - Express - October 24th, 2019
- The high-tech wetsuit that we don't want - SurferToday - October 24th, 2019
- The Navy's Plan For Ruling The Seas Are Straight Out Of the History Books - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- 'High-Seas' Season 2 On Netflix? But When? Release Date Updates And Other Latest News - The Digital Wise - September 19th, 2019
- Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day With These Shows - Playbill.com - September 19th, 2019
- High seas fishery patrol completed - Scoop.co.nz - September 19th, 2019
- Who owns the sea? - New Internationalist - September 19th, 2019
- Best of Orange County 2019: Best grocery store - OCRegister - September 19th, 2019
- Man stranded on Northern Michigan pier by high waves, rescued by Coast Guard - MLive.com - September 19th, 2019
- I've become the worst kind of Sea of Thieves pirate: the outpost ambusher - PC Gamer - September 19th, 2019
- Conquer the seas in Battlewake Available now on Steam - googame.net - September 19th, 2019
- Where Does All the Plastic Go? - The New Yorker - September 19th, 2019
- Two Months in the Southern Ocean, for Science - State of the Planet - September 19th, 2019
- Jim Caruso's Cast Party With Billy Stritch Returns To Feinstein's At Vitello's - Broadway World - September 19th, 2019
- Storms wreak havoc on fishing tournament schedule - TCPalm - September 19th, 2019
- Journalist John Solomon leaves the Hill to start own media outlet - Washington Examiner - September 19th, 2019
- Call for All States to Enforce Sulfur Cap - The Maritime Executive - September 19th, 2019
- Area Happenings Sept. 19-20. - Jacksonville Daily News - September 19th, 2019
- Fisherman snags alien fish that looks like something straight out of a horror movie - BGR - September 19th, 2019
- You Can Now Be the Proud Owner of a Tech Billionaire's Yacht - Men's Health - September 19th, 2019
- Shailene Woodley joins UF researchers on Greenpeace sea expedition - The Independent Florida Alligator - September 19th, 2019
- The Outlaw Ocean Exposes Crime in International Waters :: Books :: Features :: ian urbina :: Paste - Paste Magazine - September 19th, 2019
- New Italian government lets migrant rescue ship dock after Salvini's departure - CNN - September 19th, 2019
- Foreign Correspondent: What Trump's Missteps on Iran Have Wrought - Progressive.org - September 19th, 2019
- 100 Years Ago Germany's 'Battleship Fleet' Committed Suicide. This Is Why. - Yahoo News - September 19th, 2019
- You can learn to cook on a cruise ship - Los Angeles Times - September 19th, 2019
- South African Sheep Face Nightmare Journey - The Maritime Executive - September 19th, 2019
- Cable Seals Supplier, American Casting and Manufacturing, Lists and Explains the Current Security Seal Standards - Yahoo Finance - September 19th, 2019
- Why is it important to safeguard free access to the seas? Discover the role of a NATO maritime expert - NATO HQ - September 19th, 2019
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Includes Costa Rica in Long-Term Oceans Campaign - The Costa Rica Star - September 19th, 2019
- The US Navy Has a Water Problem - The Nation - September 19th, 2019
- The tiny algae at ground zero of Greenland's melting glaciers | Dan McDougall - The Guardian - September 19th, 2019
- USM Undergraduate Student Conducts Oceanic Research aboard Drilling Ship - Southern Miss Now - September 19th, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - June 2nd, 2019
- High Seas Rally: Home Top - High Seas Rally Biker ... - * 2019 - June 2nd, 2019
- High Seas Definition - Duhaime.org - June 2nd, 2019
- International waters - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - May 3rd, 2019
- Convention on the High Seas - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- High Seas Motel, Bar Harbor, ME - Booking.com - May 3rd, 2019
- High seas - definition of high seas by The Free Dictionary - May 3rd, 2019
- High Seas Definition - Duhaime.org - May 3rd, 2019
- Convention on the High Seas - Wikipedia - February 27th, 2019
- International waters - Wikipedia - February 27th, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - February 27th, 2019
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - February 27th, 2019