Back in my day, jocks and nerds didnt get along much, but it seems such old distinctions are now gone. Making its debut at halftime during Monday Night Football, the final trailer for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker delighted athletes and asthmatics alike. We are all united when it comes to Jedi, droids and Wookiees.
The Rise of Skywalker is billed as the culmination of the sequel-trilogy, or non-ology, or whatever you call the main Star Wars storyline. There will be more from the galaxy far, far away (The Mandalorian is just around the corner on Disneys streaming service) but for material directly connected with George Lucass 1977 original, this is it. Or at least until its Daisy Ridley and John Boyega as the elder statespeople passing the lightsaber to the next generation. (Dont think that wont happen.)
As the new trailer launched, there were many questions. Is Rey an everywoman, or is she to the cosmic manor born? Will Kylo Ren revert to the light side? Will Finn and Rose live happily ever after? Can Poe Dameron be any more dreamy?
And how will Luke Skywalker fit in, now he is dead? How exactly will Emperor Palpatine, AKA Darth Sidious, fit in, since hes been dead since 1983? How smooth will the repurposed footage of General Leia look, since Carrie Fisher died before production of this movie began? And for the hardcore, is that ship in the background really the Ghost from the animated series Star Wars Rebels? (All signs point to yes.)
This is a JJ Abrams film, so zilch of substance was revealed in this latest promo. But here were the five moments where we made noises that most resembled millions of voices crying out in terror (in a good way).
The third film in each Star Wars trilogy has, thus far, involved a reversal of what true nerds call alignment. In Return of the Jedi, Darth Vader became good. Yay! In Revenge of the Sith, Anakin Skywalker turned bad. Boo! Will this new one be the tiebreaker? We hope so. And we hope it involves Rey forgiving Kylo Ren his transgressions and the two of them having a big smooch somewhere with the wind blowing her robes and his wavy hair.
But until that can happen, theres going to be some fighting, and it looks like some of that will be on the high seas. Adam Driver looks diabolical emerging from the water and holding his red, cruciform lightsaber like some kind of upside-down trident.
Palpatine is back in this new one. How how how? No one saw it coming, so we should have expected it.
Weve yet to see Ian McDiarmid in any of the promotional materials is it really him, or his Force ghost? but weve heard him laugh and now weve heard him say spooky things such as Long have I waited! (Never keep McDiarmid standing in a queue; hes terrifying!) Its unclear exactly what the Darth Formerly Known As Sidious has been waiting for, but we can guess as to the where: a crazy-looking stone throne that would make even Thanos wince!
I thought we had got all the Star Death out of the way with The Last Jedi. Vice-Admiral Holdo sacrificed herself by hyperdriving the Raddus into a fleet of Star Destroyers and Luke Skywalker evaporated after his Force Projection. Then there was Carrie Fisher who actually died. Couldnt our tear ducts maybe take a movie off?
Well, no. I just didnt think it would be C-3PO, the protocol droid who along with R2-D2 has been in every Star Wars movie thus far, to be the one to go. A solemn farewell moment in this trailer makes it seem as if thats the case.
When George Lucas (remember him?) was first dreaming up these stories (and giving them tongue-twister titles such as Adventures of the Starkiller as taken from The Journal of the Whills, Saga I: The Star Wars) his influences were varied. Yes, he was reading Joseph Campbell. Yes, he was watching Akira Kurosawa. But he was always inspired by cheap, dopey film serials from the 1940s and earlier. To that end, this shot of our heroes on a fleet of interplanetary horses (they arent tauntauns!) really brings it all home. Its fun to see new character Jannah (Naomi Ackie) leading the charge, and outstanding to see BB-8 zooming alongside them.
Each trilogy is about one persons journey. The prequels were about Anakin, the original trilogy was about Luke and the sequel trilogy is about Rey. The final shot of this trailer, with the digital sparkle added to her eyes (unless Abrams blinded her on set!), is a gorgeous image of a new icon. And the voice from elsewhere in the room (or maybe from beyond) echoes some memorable lines from the first film: The Force will be with you, says Luke. Always, adds Leia.
Excuse me, someone must be chopping up space onions in here!
- Horror on the High Seas: Animal Welfare & the Live Export Industry - The Yucatan Times - July 6th, 2020
- Greyhound review Tom Hanks goes to war on the high seas - The Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Lamborghini takes to the high seas - Paint and Panel - July 6th, 2020
- Weather: Heavy downpours and high seas forecasted for 1st week of July - Khmer Times - July 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus fallout: Cruising into the unknown - DW (English) - July 6th, 2020
- Happy 4th of July from WLTX! - WLTX.com - July 6th, 2020
- NHV: Shaking up the offshore market - Vertical Magazine - July 6th, 2020
- Saving workers from the hell of the fishing industry in Asia - Equal Times - July 6th, 2020
- Special weather alert: Snow, heavy rain and strong winds to lash Western and Northern Cape - News24 - July 6th, 2020
- What Is The Missing Link For Evolution Of Technical Education? - FE News - July 6th, 2020
- Sea vessels warned of higher and lower than normal tides - News24 - July 6th, 2020
- For injured turtles, a return to the sea - The Keene Sentinel - July 6th, 2020
- Chinese imports stalled at India's ports and airports - The Straits Times - July 6th, 2020
- The Greens bear responsibility for capitulation to NZ First and Big Fish - Stuff.co.nz - July 6th, 2020
- CCL Stock Price: Carnival Corp sailing the high seas after as analyst sinks rivals - FXStreet - May 28th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves' big Tall Tale adventures are finally getting checkpoints - PC Gamer - May 28th, 2020
- Russia Intercepts P-8, Sends MiG-29s and Su-24s to Libya - Aviation International News - May 28th, 2020
- Relief and fear - Authorities promise tight ship, but COVID-19 concern high in communities as joyous relatives welcome cruise workers - Jamaica... - May 28th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves sails onto Steam on June 3 - PC Gamer - May 28th, 2020
- Opinion | A red line that Beijing shouldn't try to cross - Livemint - May 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: BP's North Sea chief Ariel Flores promoted - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - May 28th, 2020
- The myriad consequences of trauma - Sydney Morning Herald - May 28th, 2020
- Mutiny on the high seas saved trafficked Rohingya - Dhaka Tribune - May 11th, 2020
- UN rights office concerned over migrant boat pushbacks in the Mediterranean - UN News - May 11th, 2020
- How smaller neighbours of China are taking on the dragon - WION - May 11th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Is Call Of The Sea Coming To PS5? - PlayStation Universe - May 11th, 2020
- Shore Lore: Tales of the night patrol - News - Wicked Local Brewster - May 11th, 2020
- The Disgraced Offices of Joseph Muscat - The Shift News - May 11th, 2020
- Stranded Deep: How to Build a Raft | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 11th, 2020
- Botanical gardens, gym or commune among ideas for a refurbished Celandine Hall in Ramsgate - The Isle of Thanet News - May 11th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Worst Thing About Each Main Character, Ranked - Screen Rant - May 11th, 2020
- Legislative leaders and the S-word Floridians stayed home before they were told to Mar-a-Lago mess Live sports returns - Politico - May 11th, 2020
- Modis goal of making India Vishwaguru wont transform lives of Indians: Shivshankar Menon - ThePrint - May 11th, 2020
- The Isle of Gold by Seven Jane - coastalbreezenews.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Floating Power Plants Are Taking to the High Seas - gcaptain.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Mobile power plants take to the high seas, sidestepping red tape involved with traditional plants - NNY360 - May 3rd, 2020
- International Fisheries Managers' Pandemic Response Highlights Need to Expand Electronic Monitoring - The Pew Charitable Trusts - May 3rd, 2020
- Discovery Greenlights All On The Line Reality Series For May Premiere - Deadline - May 3rd, 2020
- 5 hidden gems on Hulu (for when you get tired of Netflix) - nj.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Let the boats in: Rohingya refugees plead for stranded relatives to be saved - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Warlike One-Upmanship Works to Russia's Benefit - The National Interest - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Things That Make No Sense About The Pirates of the Caribbean Movies - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: 5 Best Rivalries (& 5 That Make No Sense) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 5 Characters Who Got Fitting Endings (& 5 Who Deserved More) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Moderate becoming good: my journey to every place in the shipping forecast - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh urged to open ports to allow in Rohingya refugee boats - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- VE Day 75th: Even the longest journey starts with a single step - Standard Freeholder - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 5 Couples Fans Loved (& 5 They Hated) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- The Inevitable Clash Between China & ASEAN Nations Over The South China Sea - EurAsian Times - May 3rd, 2020
- This is brilliant from Javier Tebas on football restarting - The Mag - May 3rd, 2020
- After weeks at sea, URIs research ship returned to a different world - WPRI.com - May 3rd, 2020
- There are officially zero Canadians still on cruise ships sailing the high seas - Maclean's - April 27th, 2020
- Venom by Bex Hogan: High stakes on the high seas - Cambridge Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Something is wrong with our bloody ships today - Atlantic Council - April 27th, 2020
- Let's stop pretending billionaires are in the same boat as us during this pandemic - The Guardian - April 27th, 2020
- China's bold behavior borders on aggression and must be checked | TheHill - The Hill - April 27th, 2020
- 7 start-ups with sights set on the seas - Siliconrepublic.com - April 27th, 2020
- Young people arrive in the Netherlands after crossing the Atlantic - Explica - April 27th, 2020
- At Sea Since October, Solo Sailor Takes Isolation to the Extreme While Battling Weather and High Seas - The Weather Channel - April 21st, 2020
- Oakland County-born singer shines some "Light" in Nashville - The Oakland Press - April 21st, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Is Finally Letting Crewmates Revive Each Other - Screen Rant - April 21st, 2020
- The global system drags anchor - United World International - April 21st, 2020
- Below Deck Sailing Yacht Recap: Out With The Old - Reality Tea - April 21st, 2020
- Oil price crash may not benefit India due to falling demand and full tanks - BusinessLine - April 21st, 2020
- Explained | Why are oil futures in negative terrain? - Frontline - April 21st, 2020
- Time to Buy Beat-Down SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (SEAS) Stock? Here is the INSIGHT - The InvestChronicle - April 21st, 2020
- Chirayu Model For Fight Against COVID-19 In Bhopal With The Help Of The MP Government - Elemental - April 21st, 2020
- Last 3 cruise ships to dock today The last three cruise ships will be returning to - The Post Millennial - April 21st, 2020
- Outer Banks: Will there be a Season 2 and when will it likely be coming out? - Monsters and Critics - April 21st, 2020
- Protecting The High Seas: Researchers Use Big Data to Identify Biodiversity Hotspots - Noozhawk - April 15th, 2020
- Upcoming 'Sea of Thieves' Update Will Change the High Seas - Exclusively Games - April 15th, 2020
- Review: 'Sea Fever' Is a Contagion Thriller On The High Seas - Pajiba Entertainment News - April 15th, 2020
- Cruise lines turn to virtual cruising to give a taste of life on the high seas - The Telegraph - April 15th, 2020
- Tired of 'Frozen?' Here are a few less obvious kids movies to stream - Martinsville Bulletin - April 15th, 2020
- Death on the high seas; the mysterious death of a humble fishing observer - Stuff.co.nz - April 15th, 2020
- All the cruise ships that have had confirmed cases of COVID-19 onboard - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 15th, 2020
- Fossil discovery that changes the history of monkeys in the Americas - Somag News - April 15th, 2020
- Princess Annes Interview on Prince Andrew, Harry and Meghan & Life as a Royal - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2020
- Interview: Building a robot to navigate the high seas - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020