Mondays storm surge, which resulted in flooding in low-lying areas between Amsterdamhoek and Port Alfred, was caused by a rare convergence of weather conditions, according to the South African Weather Service.
The flooding, which caused some road closures and disruption to businesses in low-lying areas, but no major damage, resulted from a spring high tide, high seas and strong winds all occurring at the same time, the Weather Services Garth Sampson said.
The passage of the cold front yesterday, in combination with a steeply ridging high-pressure system behind it, resulted in gale-force winds, which in turn caused high sea conditions of between 6m and 9m out to sea, Sampson said on Tuesday.
Simultaneously, there was a spring high tide which further enhanced the wave heights and resulted in a storm surge along the coast between Plettenberg Bay and East London.
While there have been other floods and instances where two of the three phenomena occurred concurrently, the last time all three conditions occurred at the same time in Port Elizabeth was in 2008.
Its the first time, other than during floods, that I have seen the roads in Amsterdamhoek flooded like that, Sampson said.
Had the winds turned onshore, places like Sidon Street [North End] and the N2 would have been flooded, as was the case on 1 September 2008.
He said the conditions were expected to subside from Tuesday night with wave heights still expected to be between 4.5m and 5.5m on Wednesday.
Moreover, abnormal waves are possible in the Agulhas Current between Port Alfred and East London from [Tuesday] afternoon until Wednesday morning, possibly causing coastal inundation, damage to vessels and affecting coastal recreational activities, he said.
While no major damage was reported, Port Alfred residents described Mondays stormy conditions as scary.
Port Alfred businessman Diederick Stopsorth said at about 4.30pm on Tuesday it appeared that the storm surge, which had resulted in road closures in some parts of the town, seemed to be easing.
There have been some road closures due to yesterdays [Monday] storm and right now as Im looking I can tell its making its way back.
There is no rain at the moment; its windy but yesterdays rain left a lot of flooding, flooding on roads, Stopsorth said.
Another resident, Siphesihle Msimang, said she had managed to drive home at about 5.30pm on Monday, before the storm worsened.
At the time, the water went just above my ankle but we could still drive about but it worsened after that and resulted in more flooding.
Even today theres still a lot of water and although its not raining at the moment, you can tell that its coming back, she said.
See the original post here:
- Horror on the High Seas: Animal Welfare & the Live Export Industry - The Yucatan Times - July 6th, 2020
- Greyhound review Tom Hanks goes to war on the high seas - The Guardian - July 6th, 2020
- Lamborghini takes to the high seas - Paint and Panel - July 6th, 2020
- Coronavirus fallout: Cruising into the unknown - DW (English) - July 6th, 2020
- Happy 4th of July from WLTX! - WLTX.com - July 6th, 2020
- NHV: Shaking up the offshore market - Vertical Magazine - July 6th, 2020
- Saving workers from the hell of the fishing industry in Asia - Equal Times - July 6th, 2020
- Special weather alert: Snow, heavy rain and strong winds to lash Western and Northern Cape - News24 - July 6th, 2020
- What Is The Missing Link For Evolution Of Technical Education? - FE News - July 6th, 2020
- Sea vessels warned of higher and lower than normal tides - News24 - July 6th, 2020
- For injured turtles, a return to the sea - The Keene Sentinel - July 6th, 2020
- Chinese imports stalled at India's ports and airports - The Straits Times - July 6th, 2020
- The Greens bear responsibility for capitulation to NZ First and Big Fish - Stuff.co.nz - July 6th, 2020
- CCL Stock Price: Carnival Corp sailing the high seas after as analyst sinks rivals - FXStreet - May 28th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves' big Tall Tale adventures are finally getting checkpoints - PC Gamer - May 28th, 2020
- Russia Intercepts P-8, Sends MiG-29s and Su-24s to Libya - Aviation International News - May 28th, 2020
- Relief and fear - Authorities promise tight ship, but COVID-19 concern high in communities as joyous relatives welcome cruise workers - Jamaica... - May 28th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves sails onto Steam on June 3 - PC Gamer - May 28th, 2020
- Opinion | A red line that Beijing shouldn't try to cross - Livemint - May 28th, 2020
- Exclusive: BP's North Sea chief Ariel Flores promoted - News for the Oil and Gas Sector - Energy Voice - May 28th, 2020
- The myriad consequences of trauma - Sydney Morning Herald - May 28th, 2020
- Mutiny on the high seas saved trafficked Rohingya - Dhaka Tribune - May 11th, 2020
- UN rights office concerned over migrant boat pushbacks in the Mediterranean - UN News - May 11th, 2020
- How smaller neighbours of China are taking on the dragon - WION - May 11th, 2020
- Tips, links and suggestions: what are you reading this week? - The Guardian - May 11th, 2020
- Is Call Of The Sea Coming To PS5? - PlayStation Universe - May 11th, 2020
- Shore Lore: Tales of the night patrol - News - Wicked Local Brewster - May 11th, 2020
- The Disgraced Offices of Joseph Muscat - The Shift News - May 11th, 2020
- Stranded Deep: How to Build a Raft | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 11th, 2020
- Botanical gardens, gym or commune among ideas for a refurbished Celandine Hall in Ramsgate - The Isle of Thanet News - May 11th, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Worst Thing About Each Main Character, Ranked - Screen Rant - May 11th, 2020
- Legislative leaders and the S-word Floridians stayed home before they were told to Mar-a-Lago mess Live sports returns - Politico - May 11th, 2020
- Modis goal of making India Vishwaguru wont transform lives of Indians: Shivshankar Menon - ThePrint - May 11th, 2020
- The Isle of Gold by Seven Jane - coastalbreezenews.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Floating Power Plants Are Taking to the High Seas - gcaptain.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Mobile power plants take to the high seas, sidestepping red tape involved with traditional plants - NNY360 - May 3rd, 2020
- International Fisheries Managers' Pandemic Response Highlights Need to Expand Electronic Monitoring - The Pew Charitable Trusts - May 3rd, 2020
- Discovery Greenlights All On The Line Reality Series For May Premiere - Deadline - May 3rd, 2020
- 5 hidden gems on Hulu (for when you get tired of Netflix) - nj.com - May 3rd, 2020
- Let the boats in: Rohingya refugees plead for stranded relatives to be saved - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Why Warlike One-Upmanship Works to Russia's Benefit - The National Interest - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Things That Make No Sense About The Pirates of the Caribbean Movies - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates Of The Caribbean: 5 Best Rivalries (& 5 That Make No Sense) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 5 Characters Who Got Fitting Endings (& 5 Who Deserved More) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- Moderate becoming good: my journey to every place in the shipping forecast - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- Bangladesh urged to open ports to allow in Rohingya refugee boats - The Guardian - May 3rd, 2020
- VE Day 75th: Even the longest journey starts with a single step - Standard Freeholder - May 3rd, 2020
- Pirates of the Caribbean: 5 Couples Fans Loved (& 5 They Hated) - Screen Rant - May 3rd, 2020
- The Inevitable Clash Between China & ASEAN Nations Over The South China Sea - EurAsian Times - May 3rd, 2020
- This is brilliant from Javier Tebas on football restarting - The Mag - May 3rd, 2020
- After weeks at sea, URIs research ship returned to a different world - WPRI.com - May 3rd, 2020
- There are officially zero Canadians still on cruise ships sailing the high seas - Maclean's - April 27th, 2020
- Venom by Bex Hogan: High stakes on the high seas - Cambridge Independent - April 27th, 2020
- Something is wrong with our bloody ships today - Atlantic Council - April 27th, 2020
- Let's stop pretending billionaires are in the same boat as us during this pandemic - The Guardian - April 27th, 2020
- China's bold behavior borders on aggression and must be checked | TheHill - The Hill - April 27th, 2020
- 7 start-ups with sights set on the seas - Siliconrepublic.com - April 27th, 2020
- Young people arrive in the Netherlands after crossing the Atlantic - Explica - April 27th, 2020
- At Sea Since October, Solo Sailor Takes Isolation to the Extreme While Battling Weather and High Seas - The Weather Channel - April 21st, 2020
- Oakland County-born singer shines some "Light" in Nashville - The Oakland Press - April 21st, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Is Finally Letting Crewmates Revive Each Other - Screen Rant - April 21st, 2020
- The global system drags anchor - United World International - April 21st, 2020
- Below Deck Sailing Yacht Recap: Out With The Old - Reality Tea - April 21st, 2020
- Oil price crash may not benefit India due to falling demand and full tanks - BusinessLine - April 21st, 2020
- Explained | Why are oil futures in negative terrain? - Frontline - April 21st, 2020
- Time to Buy Beat-Down SeaWorld Entertainment, Inc. (SEAS) Stock? Here is the INSIGHT - The InvestChronicle - April 21st, 2020
- Chirayu Model For Fight Against COVID-19 In Bhopal With The Help Of The MP Government - Elemental - April 21st, 2020
- Last 3 cruise ships to dock today The last three cruise ships will be returning to - The Post Millennial - April 21st, 2020
- Outer Banks: Will there be a Season 2 and when will it likely be coming out? - Monsters and Critics - April 21st, 2020
- Protecting The High Seas: Researchers Use Big Data to Identify Biodiversity Hotspots - Noozhawk - April 15th, 2020
- Upcoming 'Sea of Thieves' Update Will Change the High Seas - Exclusively Games - April 15th, 2020
- Review: 'Sea Fever' Is a Contagion Thriller On The High Seas - Pajiba Entertainment News - April 15th, 2020
- Cruise lines turn to virtual cruising to give a taste of life on the high seas - The Telegraph - April 15th, 2020
- Tired of 'Frozen?' Here are a few less obvious kids movies to stream - Martinsville Bulletin - April 15th, 2020
- Death on the high seas; the mysterious death of a humble fishing observer - Stuff.co.nz - April 15th, 2020
- All the cruise ships that have had confirmed cases of COVID-19 onboard - Business Insider - Business Insider - April 15th, 2020
- Fossil discovery that changes the history of monkeys in the Americas - Somag News - April 15th, 2020
- Princess Annes Interview on Prince Andrew, Harry and Meghan & Life as a Royal - Vanity Fair - April 15th, 2020
- Interview: Building a robot to navigate the high seas - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - March 4th, 2020