Mondays storm surge, which resulted in flooding in low-lying areas between Amsterdamhoek and Port Alfred, was caused by a rare convergence of weather conditions, according to the South African Weather Service.
The flooding, which caused some road closures and disruption to businesses in low-lying areas, but no major damage, resulted from a spring high tide, high seas and strong winds all occurring at the same time, the Weather Services Garth Sampson said.
The passage of the cold front yesterday, in combination with a steeply ridging high-pressure system behind it, resulted in gale-force winds, which in turn caused high sea conditions of between 6m and 9m out to sea, Sampson said on Tuesday.
Simultaneously, there was a spring high tide which further enhanced the wave heights and resulted in a storm surge along the coast between Plettenberg Bay and East London.
While there have been other floods and instances where two of the three phenomena occurred concurrently, the last time all three conditions occurred at the same time in Port Elizabeth was in 2008.
Its the first time, other than during floods, that I have seen the roads in Amsterdamhoek flooded like that, Sampson said.
Had the winds turned onshore, places like Sidon Street [North End] and the N2 would have been flooded, as was the case on 1 September 2008.
He said the conditions were expected to subside from Tuesday night with wave heights still expected to be between 4.5m and 5.5m on Wednesday.
Moreover, abnormal waves are possible in the Agulhas Current between Port Alfred and East London from [Tuesday] afternoon until Wednesday morning, possibly causing coastal inundation, damage to vessels and affecting coastal recreational activities, he said.
While no major damage was reported, Port Alfred residents described Mondays stormy conditions as scary.
Port Alfred businessman Diederick Stopsorth said at about 4.30pm on Tuesday it appeared that the storm surge, which had resulted in road closures in some parts of the town, seemed to be easing.
There have been some road closures due to yesterdays [Monday] storm and right now as Im looking I can tell its making its way back.
There is no rain at the moment; its windy but yesterdays rain left a lot of flooding, flooding on roads, Stopsorth said.
Another resident, Siphesihle Msimang, said she had managed to drive home at about 5.30pm on Monday, before the storm worsened.
At the time, the water went just above my ankle but we could still drive about but it worsened after that and resulted in more flooding.
Even today theres still a lot of water and although its not raining at the moment, you can tell that its coming back, she said.
See the original post here:
- THE HIGH SEAS: Brunswick looks bounce back and send seniors off on high note - Brunswick News - November 1st, 2019
- This Cruise Line Sails 5-Star Luxury Hotels On The High Seas. I Had To Find Out More. - Forbes - November 1st, 2019
- Opinion | Another auto merger across the high seas - Livemint - November 1st, 2019
- What's Leaving Netflix in November 2019? All the Movies and Shows on Last Call List - Newsweek - November 1st, 2019
- Highland cadets witness life on the high seas on UK's newest aircraft carrier - Press and Journal - November 1st, 2019
- These are the cities that will drown first as the seas rise - Salon - November 1st, 2019
- Ghost Nets Haunt the World's Oceans, Hunting Beyond the Grave - Atlas Obscura - November 1st, 2019
- The Below Deck Crew Will Spill All the High-Seas Secrets in the Season 7 After Show - Bravo - November 1st, 2019
- Long: The tragedy in Britain wasn't unique - Roanoke Times - November 1st, 2019
- Rising Seas Are Going to Drown Way More Cities Than Wed Thought: Study - New York Magazine - November 1st, 2019
- New charges announced in conspiracy to bring massive amounts of cocaine into US, central Ohio - 10TV - November 1st, 2019
- Cities to be erased by 2050: Rising seas could affect three times more people - NEWS.com.au - November 1st, 2019
- 19 tons of cocaine and cannabis worth $380MILLION seized off Florida making massive dent in Colombian drug - The Sun - November 1st, 2019
- High winds expected for most of Friday, especially along the coast - Bangor Daily News - November 1st, 2019
- Let's Send the U.S. Navy's 'Stealthy' Destroyer Back in Time to Fight a World War II Battle - The National Interest Online - November 1st, 2019
- Ecuador: A Cocaine Superhighway to the US and Europe - Insightcrime.org - November 1st, 2019
- Rising seas will erase more cities by 2050, including Ho Chi Minh City, Bangkok and Mumbai, new research shows - The Straits Times - November 1st, 2019
- Tens of Millions Could Be Hit by Sea Level Rise Sooner Than Thought, New Study Suggests - The Weather Channel - November 1st, 2019
- The ice used to protect them. Now their island is crumbling into the sea. - msnNOW - November 1st, 2019
- Chef Curtis Stone takes fine dining to the high seas with Princess Cruises - 7NEWS - October 24th, 2019
- Chocolate-themed cruise to become Willy Wonka factory on the high seas - INQUIRER.net - October 24th, 2019
- What The Truck?!? [podcast] Piracy on the high seas, drone deliveries, cybersecurity, and strikes - FreightWaves - October 24th, 2019
- Get Ready To Set Sail at Online Casinos On the High Seas and Join Peter Pan in LOST BOYS LOOT - Tunf.com News - October 24th, 2019
- SMOOTH SAILING: Couple tie the knot on the high seas - Morning Bulletin - October 24th, 2019
- Oldsmar wants to spend $125,000 on a climate assessment. Heres what that means. - Tampa Bay Times - October 24th, 2019
- 80 years ago a Connecticut inventor patented an icon of prepdom: the boat shoe. - Connecticut Magazine - October 24th, 2019
- Britain was built on the backs of slaves. A memorial is the least they deserve - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- Tony Winner Brian Stokes Mitchell Will Host 11th Annual Broadway Salutes - Playbill.com - October 24th, 2019
- Best Shots Advance Review: MARAUDERS #1 'Shows What It's Like to Live in that Weird, Crazy World' - Newsarama - October 24th, 2019
- This Fisherman Wants Us To Use The Oceans To Fight Climate Change - HuffPost - October 24th, 2019
- The Rise of Skywalker trailer five things we learned - The Guardian - October 24th, 2019
- JMA warns of landslides, high waves as Typhoon Bualoi strikes islands south of Tokyo - The Mainichi - October 24th, 2019
- How America Learned How to Hunt and Kill Submarines (Thank World War I) - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- SSN(X) Will Be the U.S. Navy's New Attack Submarine: Here's How to Make it A Success - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- Cruises: New cruise ship could help beat seasickness with this clever feature - Express - October 24th, 2019
- The high-tech wetsuit that we don't want - SurferToday - October 24th, 2019
- The Navy's Plan For Ruling The Seas Are Straight Out Of the History Books - The National Interest Online - October 24th, 2019
- 'High-Seas' Season 2 On Netflix? But When? Release Date Updates And Other Latest News - The Digital Wise - September 19th, 2019
- Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day With These Shows - Playbill.com - September 19th, 2019
- High seas fishery patrol completed - Scoop.co.nz - September 19th, 2019
- Who owns the sea? - New Internationalist - September 19th, 2019
- Best of Orange County 2019: Best grocery store - OCRegister - September 19th, 2019
- Man stranded on Northern Michigan pier by high waves, rescued by Coast Guard - MLive.com - September 19th, 2019
- I've become the worst kind of Sea of Thieves pirate: the outpost ambusher - PC Gamer - September 19th, 2019
- Conquer the seas in Battlewake Available now on Steam - googame.net - September 19th, 2019
- Where Does All the Plastic Go? - The New Yorker - September 19th, 2019
- Two Months in the Southern Ocean, for Science - State of the Planet - September 19th, 2019
- Jim Caruso's Cast Party With Billy Stritch Returns To Feinstein's At Vitello's - Broadway World - September 19th, 2019
- Storms wreak havoc on fishing tournament schedule - TCPalm - September 19th, 2019
- Journalist John Solomon leaves the Hill to start own media outlet - Washington Examiner - September 19th, 2019
- Call for All States to Enforce Sulfur Cap - The Maritime Executive - September 19th, 2019
- Area Happenings Sept. 19-20. - Jacksonville Daily News - September 19th, 2019
- Fisherman snags alien fish that looks like something straight out of a horror movie - BGR - September 19th, 2019
- You Can Now Be the Proud Owner of a Tech Billionaire's Yacht - Men's Health - September 19th, 2019
- Shailene Woodley joins UF researchers on Greenpeace sea expedition - The Independent Florida Alligator - September 19th, 2019
- The Outlaw Ocean Exposes Crime in International Waters :: Books :: Features :: ian urbina :: Paste - Paste Magazine - September 19th, 2019
- New Italian government lets migrant rescue ship dock after Salvini's departure - CNN - September 19th, 2019
- Foreign Correspondent: What Trump's Missteps on Iran Have Wrought - Progressive.org - September 19th, 2019
- 100 Years Ago Germany's 'Battleship Fleet' Committed Suicide. This Is Why. - Yahoo News - September 19th, 2019
- You can learn to cook on a cruise ship - Los Angeles Times - September 19th, 2019
- South African Sheep Face Nightmare Journey - The Maritime Executive - September 19th, 2019
- Cable Seals Supplier, American Casting and Manufacturing, Lists and Explains the Current Security Seal Standards - Yahoo Finance - September 19th, 2019
- Why is it important to safeguard free access to the seas? Discover the role of a NATO maritime expert - NATO HQ - September 19th, 2019
- Sea Shepherd Conservation Includes Costa Rica in Long-Term Oceans Campaign - The Costa Rica Star - September 19th, 2019
- The US Navy Has a Water Problem - The Nation - September 19th, 2019
- The tiny algae at ground zero of Greenland's melting glaciers | Dan McDougall - The Guardian - September 19th, 2019
- USM Undergraduate Student Conducts Oceanic Research aboard Drilling Ship - Southern Miss Now - September 19th, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - June 2nd, 2019
- High Seas Rally: Home Top - High Seas Rally Biker ... - * 2019 - June 2nd, 2019
- High Seas Definition - Duhaime.org - June 2nd, 2019
- International waters - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - May 3rd, 2019
- Convention on the High Seas - Wikipedia - May 3rd, 2019
- High Seas Motel, Bar Harbor, ME - Booking.com - May 3rd, 2019
- High seas - definition of high seas by The Free Dictionary - May 3rd, 2019
- High Seas Definition - Duhaime.org - May 3rd, 2019
- Convention on the High Seas - Wikipedia - February 27th, 2019
- International waters - Wikipedia - February 27th, 2019
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica.com - February 27th, 2019
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - February 27th, 2019