Schools were closed, ferries cancelled and roads across the north battered by snow and sleet yesterday.
The Met Office had a weather warning out for high winds and snowfall, which changes to a warning for snow and ice today.
A high wind speed of 89mph was recorded at the top of Cairngorm Mountain, while there were gusts of 56mph at sea level on the isle of Tiree.
The Met Office recorded 10cm of snow in Aviemore, while flurries closed the A93 between Braemar and the Spittal of Glenshee.
A spokesman warned the wintry showers would continue across the north today.
Shetland Coastguard was called in to assist police and close the Churchill Barriers on the narrow causeway connecting mainland Orkney with South Ronaldsay due to high seas.
The barriers closed at 11am and re-opened just an hour later, but St Margarets Hope and Burray in Orkney were affected by flooding.
Northlink Ferries cancelled all sailings on the Pentland Firth route and todays sailings are under review.
West coast ferry operator CalMac was also forced to cancel or disrupt most of its services.
A CalMac spokesman said: The tail end of Store Ciara continues to cause problems across the west coast ferry network, with all 28 routes impacted to a greater or lesser extent.
In total we have cancelled services completely on 10 routes and people travelling should ensure they keep up to date with the status of the sailing theyre planning on taking.
Moray Council kept Tomintoul Primary School closed for the day as snow prevented the school bus for reaching it.
Highland Council was forced to close 10 of its schools and six nurseries due to bad weather and some of the buildings being without power or heating.
The authority was also out treating roads throughout the area due to snow and sleet, which made for treacherous driving conditions.
Cromarty, Dornoch, Kessock and Skye Bridges were closed for periods throughout the day to high sided vehicles.
Aberdeen City Council was last night preparing for temperatures to drop.
A spokeswoman said: Sleet and ice conditions are expected overnight and road surface temperatures are expected to drop to -0.9C on most routes with some down to -1.9C during the early hours.
Were gritting primary routes this afternoon and again early morning, and city centre pavements before 7.30am too.
Rescue teams were called out after a small blue boat broke free from her mooring on the river of Thurso.
Scrabster and Melvich Coastguard volunteers joined Thurso lifeboat to investigate just before 10pm on Monday and found the vessel had drifted ashore.
The owner later recovered the boat.
- Interview: Building a robot to navigate the high seas - ComputerWeekly.com - March 4th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - March 4th, 2020
- Design Collective by Cintas Creates High Fashion on the High Seas with Virgin Voyages Apparel Collection - Yahoo Finance - March 4th, 2020
- This Is How Much It Costs to Stay in Kylie Jenner's Vacation Villa - KMOX - March 4th, 2020
- The U.S. Navys Future Fleet May Run Aground In Heavy Weather - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Four things to do in the Hastings area - Bexhill Observer - March 4th, 2020
- As sea levels rise, high marshes along the Oregon coast are likely to shrink - Yale Climate Connections - March 4th, 2020
- If Honesty Is The Best Policy, Why Do We Forget It? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Susan Calman announced to host Cruising With after Jane McDonald quit - Metro.co.uk - March 4th, 2020
- This is a solution that could help end illegal fishing - GreenBiz - March 4th, 2020
- Doomed: The Story of How Nazi Germany's Best Battleship Was Sunk - The National Interest Online - March 4th, 2020
- Is Turkey right on Idlib and refugees? - Ahval - March 4th, 2020
- The Perfect Time to Visit Panama City Beach for Every Type of Traveler - Thrillist - March 4th, 2020
- From Brexit to coronavirus: warehousing threats - Tina Massey - March 4th, 2020
- From the Mountain To The Sea: Highlander Teacher, Says Island Life Amazes Him - Fiji Sun Online - March 4th, 2020
- Rear admiral added to Comox Valley Walk of Achievement - Comox Valley Record - March 4th, 2020
- Ancient Earth Was A Waterworld Covered In Oceans That Had No Continents According To A New Study - BroBible - March 4th, 2020
- Hunt the high seas as a hyper-evolved super shark in 'Maneater' - Engadget - February 24th, 2020
- We need to intensify marine conservation efforts - Cosmos - February 24th, 2020
- Seablip: Everything We Know About The Stardew Valley-Inspired RPG (So Far) - TheGamer - February 24th, 2020
- Kevin Lyman seeks fan input on possible Warped Rewind At Sea 2.0 - Alternative Press - February 24th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Update Crews of Rage Out Now - TechRaptor - February 24th, 2020
- Control of offshore gas and oil provokes conflicts in eastern Mediterranean - World Socialist Web Site - February 24th, 2020
- Mozambique, rich in gas, could be going towards a disaster | Mozambique - Up News Info - February 24th, 2020
- Adapting to Rising Seas, Schools Move to the Rafters and Cats Swim - The New York Times - February 24th, 2020
- Efforts ongoing to prevent pollution from MV Alta wreck - The Irish Times - February 24th, 2020
- Ghost ships that drifted the oceans - My Sailing - February 24th, 2020
- Despite talks, more fighting likely in Libya | Michel Cousins - The Arab Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- MV Alta: The unmanned voyage of the Ballycotton ghost ship - The Irish Times - February 24th, 2020
- Parsifal III looks like its going to hit the dock in Below Deck: Sailing Yacht sneak peek - Monsters and Critics - February 24th, 2020
- The Call of the Wild is a picturesque cinematic journey that is ruined by the use of a CGI dog - The Canberra Times - February 24th, 2020
- Hardy beetles survived all that Zealandia threw at them for 40 million years - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Weather warnings in place in parts of Ireland ahead of Storm Dennis - IrishCentral - February 12th, 2020
- Future Of Salmon In A Warming World Part 2 - KYUK - February 12th, 2020
- Top things to do in Tampa Bay this weekend: Feb. 14-16 - Tampa Bay Times - February 12th, 2020
- Virus Shuts North Koreas Best Route Around Trump Sanctions - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Saving the Ocean's Wildlife: Sustainable Food - KCPW - February 12th, 2020
- Things to Do: A wild cabaret, '90s blockbuster film, winter carnival and scaled-down 'South Pacific' - Press Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Hill and Immonen Plunge into aquatic horror in this exclusive preview - The A.V. Club - February 12th, 2020
- Bishop Kukah: Our hypocrisy and duplicity have caught up with us - Vatican News - February 12th, 2020
- Govt nod to India-Iceland pact in fisheries sector - Outlook India - February 12th, 2020
- A Desperate bid to Avert Rising Seas Disaster in Californias Bay Area - Government Technology - February 12th, 2020
- A Legless Black Man Comes Into a Windfall in This Biting Satire - The New York Times - February 12th, 2020
- Pirates of the Northern Seas and Scotland's Oceanic Criminals - Ancient Origins - February 12th, 2020
- Advisory Number 4 on the Tropical Cyclone UESI - Vanuatu - ReliefWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Virus outbreak shuts North Korea's best route around US sanctions - The Business Times - February 12th, 2020
- Snow and ice warning as Storm Ciara crosses the country - RTE.ie - February 12th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 2 Coming to Netflix in November 2019 ... - January 19th, 2020
- High Seas Season 3: Renewed For Third And Fourth Season ... - January 19th, 2020
- Mobile protected areas for biodiversity on the high seas - Science Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Townsend residents community involvement earns her an all-expense paid trip on the high seas - Lowell Sun - January 19th, 2020
- 5 High Seas Adventures To Watch When Youre Done With Pirates Of The Caribbean - WhatCulture - January 19th, 2020
- Mobile protected areas needed to preserve biodiversity in the high seas - indiablooms - January 19th, 2020
- Navigating the high seas of deals and discounts during Cruise Season - KING5.com - January 19th, 2020
- WATCH: Hovercraft struggles in the Solent strong winds and high seas hit hovers and trains - Isle of Wight County Press - January 19th, 2020
- Legendary Rockers KISS Return To The High Seas With KISS Kruise X - Icon Vs. Icon - January 19th, 2020
- Azur Lane: Crosswave Gets Ship-Shape With New Screenshots and Details Ahead Of Its U.S. Release - Gamepur - January 19th, 2020
- SpaceX delays dramatic in-flight abort test of Falcon 9 rocket to prove Crew Dragon is safe for astronauts - CBS News - January 19th, 2020
- 20 Things That Will Get Anyone In Hot Water With The Cruise Ship Staff - TheTravel - January 19th, 2020
- Annie's Lilla Crawford and Dear Evan Hansen's Jared Goldsmith Will Star in Readings of We Are Still Tornadoes - Playbill.com - January 19th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Jan. 17 - ECM Publishers - January 19th, 2020
- Dolittle Is One of the Worst Movies in Years - The Atlantic - January 19th, 2020
- Millions of Sharks Around the World May Have Fishing Hooks Stuck Inside Them, Scientists Suggest - Newsweek - January 19th, 2020
- 20 things everyone gets in hot water with the cruise ship staff - Mash Viral - January 19th, 2020
- Twitch streamer goes AFK at the worst possible time in Sea of Thieves - Dexerto - January 19th, 2020
- Ocean temperatures hit record high as rate of heating accelerates - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- Nul points for Britain in the EU revision bong contest - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- How an advert in the Echo led to a life on the high seas and France's highest order of merit - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Bobby Labonte lives up to family name with NASCAR Hall of Fame induction - Speedway Digest - January 19th, 2020
- Dolittle is muddled CGI chaos with a grotesque irony at its core - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2020
- Advanced Native 4K Projector Technology Hits the High Seas, as Panasonic Collaborates with Princess Cruises to Deliver Its First Immersive... - January 7th, 2020
- High Seas Season 3: Netflix Release Date, Cast And Other Details - The Digital Wise - January 7th, 2020
- High Seas Season: Heres Why This Spanish Suspense Drama Is A Must See! - TheNationRoar - January 7th, 2020
- These 5 Navies Are Uncontested On The High Seas - Yahoo News - January 7th, 2020
- Factbox: Highlights of Austrian conservative-Greens coalition deal - Reuters - January 7th, 2020
- Deadly conditions for Indonesian migrant crews tied to illegal fishing - Mongabay.com - January 7th, 2020
- Going Big with Marine Conservation - The UCSB Current - January 7th, 2020
- Tony Winner Paulo Szot and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Erika Jayne Join Broadway Cast of Chicago January 6 - Playbill.com - January 7th, 2020
- [UPDATE 9:27 am] Coast Guard Works to Rescue Three Crew Members of Commercial Fishing Boat Damaged Near the South Jetty - Redheaded Blackbelt - January 7th, 2020
- Gavin Creel to Perform at the Metropolitan Museum of Art - Playbill.com - January 7th, 2020