Shailene Woodley and UF researchers saw sperm whales, a single flip-flop and thousands of microplastics in the middle of the ocean.
Nerine Constant and Alexandra Gulick, 29-year-old UF doctoral students who study sea turtles, participated in a sea research expedition as part of the Greenpeace Protect the Oceans campaign with Woodley, an activist and Divergent actress. The goal of the expedition is to study how climate change affects the ecosystem.
The campaign pushes for a Global Ocean Treaty to protect open oceans that are offshore from any countrys national waters because they lack protection and oversight, Gulick said.
The yearlong expedition, which began in the Arctic and ended in Antarctica, started in April. The UF duo, who joined the expedition from July 29 to Aug. 12, researched free-floating algae that congregates into thick mats in the Sargasso Sea.
Woodley joined the expedition, which researched key locations and ecosystems in the high seas. She wrote an article for Time magazine detailing her experience. The expeditioners goals are to highlight threats to the ocean.
The Sargasso Sea has a diverse ecosystem and could potentially be a part of the ocean where discarded waste collects, Woodley wrote.
Staring at the vast blanket of blue ahead of us, the baking sun tanning our legs, the fresh, clean air filling our lungs, its difficult to imagine this paradise being declared a climate emergency, Woodley wrote.
The UF students research is focused on if algae acts like incubators for baby loggerhead sea turtles.The UF students research is focused on if algae acts like incubators for baby loggerhead sea turtles. The warmth from solar radiation causes increasing temperatures in algal areas,which may help growth rates.
Turtles get caught in the currents that surround the Sargasso Sea, and they end up in the algae mats, Constant said.
The algae are a developmental habitat for young turtles as they stay in the open waters for five to 10 years, Gulick said.
Expeditioners saw plastic in the open water more than 200 miles from shore.
Gulick said everyone on the trip reflected on their use of plastic. One of the scientists on the expedition grabbed a patch of seaweed and shook out thousands of microplastics.
Even though we were aware that there was a plastic issue in the ocean, thats a huge problem, she said. Theres just something about it once you go out and see it.
Constant and Gulick said Woodley helps raise awareness about issues in unregulated waters.
She didnt just show up to the expedition for the photo ops. Even now that the expedition is over, shes really trying to maintain the presence in the press and in the public eye to really raise awareness, Gulick said.
Correction: This article has been updated to reflect the impact of solar radiation on sea turtles, which may help their growth rates. The Alligator previously reported different.
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 6th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line Extends Pause of US Sailings Through October 31st, Canceling "Halloween on the High Seas" - LaughingPlace.com - August 6th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 6th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 6th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Windbound Preview - The Most Relaxing Survival Game You'll Play This Year - Twinfinite - August 6th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 3rd, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Video: Boxship Arrives in UAE With Toppled Containers - The Maritime Executive - August 3rd, 2020
- The Galapagos islands face an invasion of trawlers - The Economist - August 3rd, 2020
- The story behind the latest humongous ship to dock at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Live - August 3rd, 2020
- There are three scenarios at play - Press of Atlantic City - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas When Will Season 3 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar 'High Seas' Season 3: Has The Official Discussed Its Arrival And The Possible Storyline - The Digital Wise - July 31st, 2020
- Best swimming headphones 2020: best waterproof earbuds for the pool and the high seas - T3 - July 31st, 2020
- What are the long-term prospects for offshore wind? | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - July 31st, 2020
- Life is Strange - Partners in Time Comic Continues Max and Chloe's Story, Set to Release This October - Gameranx - July 31st, 2020
- Players team up on demand for Sea of Thieves to hit PS4 - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in August 2020 - Netflix Life - July 31st, 2020
- East Ladakh LAC Standoff: Winter is Coming - News Intervention - July 31st, 2020
- The Best Movies to Stream This Weekend in Seattle: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 31st, 2020
- China has won control of the South China Sea. Now we wait for Beijing's next move - ABC News - July 31st, 2020
- Flags of Convenience in Merchant Shipping - Sea News - July 31st, 2020
- 'Bartlow's Dread Machine' (ALL) Available On Steam Early Access - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - July 30th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - E-Flux - July 30th, 2020
- How to find Ashen Lords in Sea of Thieves Ashen Winds update - Gamepur - July 30th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Adds Auto Float Accessibility Option To Help Players With Underwater Phobias - GameSpot - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Movies and Shows to Watch in Portland This Weekend: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- 'High Seas'/'Alta Mar' Season 3: Release date, plot, cast and all you need to know about the show's return - MEAWW - July 30th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas season 3: Are We Getting It Soon Or We Have To Wait - The Digital Wise - July 29th, 2020
- Lockdown on the high seas | TheHill - The Hill - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaas, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 28th, 2020
- Sea ice extent in the Arctic reaches historical low in July - The Independent Barents Observer - July 28th, 2020
- Galapagos Islands: 'Protection strategy' set up after 'hundreds of Chinese fishing vessels' spotted nearby - Sky News - July 28th, 2020
- Why Waterworld Was a Failure in the '90s But Is Actually Much Better Than We Remember - Esquire.com - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaias, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 27th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - July 27th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - July 26th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - July 26th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - July 26th, 2020
- How we recruited albatrosses to patrol the high seas for illegal fishers - MENAFN.COM - July 26th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Liked Greyhound | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - July 26th, 2020
- How to stop China completing its takeover of the South China Sea - The Strategist - July 26th, 2020
- Fisheries Subsidies Reform Could Reduce Overfishing and Illegal Fishing, Case Studies Find - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 26th, 2020
- HMS Challenger: The voyage that birthed oceanography - BBC News - July 26th, 2020
- High seas adventures and hilarity all part of 'Salty' - Petoskey News-Review - July 20th, 2020
- Global Fisheries Need Better Governance to Sustain Key Stocks - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 20th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship Hosting World's Only Biker Cruise in 2021 - Cruise Fever - July 20th, 2020
- Pirate attacks have doubled in Asia thanks to the coronavirus - New York Post - July 20th, 2020
- Top 10 world news: UK suspends extradition treaty, Oxford vaccine trials, and more - WION - July 20th, 2020
- The Pentagon confronts the pandemic - NationofChange - July 20th, 2020
- With Skull And Bones Missing, King Of Seas May Be Your Pirate ARRPG This Year - TechRaptor - July 20th, 2020
- 129 years in the UAE: My family's journey through the birth of a country - Gulf News - July 20th, 2020
- Justice League Death Metal Tie-In Introduces Major Villain: The Omega Knight - CBR - Comic Book Resources - July 20th, 2020
- Master & Commander 2? Why The Sequel Never Happened | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 20th, 2020
- Column One: At age 60 and paralyzed, she tried to row across the Pacific - Los Angeles Times - July 20th, 2020
- Buildings partially collapse after another night of raging seas on the NSW Central Coast - ABC News - July 20th, 2020
- S.A. Chakraborty Tells Us the Best Writing Advice She Ever Got in Reddit AMA - tor.com - July 20th, 2020
- Ghost of Tsushima could be a pirate game or the Three Musketeers - Explica - July 20th, 2020
- Pentagon Confronts the Pandemic - LA Progressive - July 20th, 2020
- Nile dam: Sudan says talks to break deadlock will be held on Tuesday - The National - July 20th, 2020
- How Not to Deal With Murder in Space - Slate - July 20th, 2020
- Nurses among those missing in Temotu - Solomon Star - July 20th, 2020
- HI-SEAS - July 19th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - IMDb - July 19th, 2020