The plan covers 11 topics for development along the NSR
Altogether, the plan consists of 84 measures, each of them having a responsible Ministry or other body assigned and strict deadlines.
Lets look at how the plan promises to make NSR competitive.
The port of Pevek will be reconstructed by 2020 and the reconstruction of the seaport of Sabetta will be completed by 2021. After completion of the work, Sabetta port will be able to accept cargo throughout the year.
Search and Rescue (SAR) covers a total of 19 individual measures. By the end of 2020, the full analysis of legal framework related to people SAR, response systems in case of oil spill will be completed. Construction of rescue coordination centers is expected to be co-financed by extracting companies in the Arctic.
According to the document, the Arctic extracting companies shall be involved in preparing proposals for rescue coordinating center constructions in Pevek and Sabetta ports by 2020 and in Dixon and Tiksi by 2022. Furthermore, by the end of 2020, an evaluation of the need to create a state company responsible for the deepening of the seabed along the NSR will be available. Altogether, 11 new SAR vessels serving various purposes are expected to be constructed and in operation by 2024.
Along with increased emphasis on SAR, there is attention to navigational and hydrographic support, which includes modernizing three existing vessels and having 13 new navigational and hydrographic vessels built by 2022-2023. Icebreaking capabilities will be strengthened by introducing five new class icebreakers from 2022-2024 and additional three super powerful Lider class icebreakers scheduled to be ready by 2027, 2030 and 2032.
To attract international shipping, a series of measures have been proposed. The ports of Murmansk and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky have the potential to become logistical hubs for servicing international transit cargo, and the viability of the proposal will be ready by 2020. The creation of a Russian containership operator using ice-class vessels can become an answer to the current uncertainty. Finally, an evaluation of possible state subsidies to support the international competitiveness of NSR will be available by 2021. Creation of digital systems for logistics along the NSR further promises to boost competitiveness.
Plans to expand the NSR network include linking it to existing and new railroad networks and construction of new airports.
Currently, the lack of reliable communications on the NSR is of high concern. The plan covers creating stable and continuous satellite communication for users of NSR by launching four geostationary satellites by 2024. The launch of six space modules by 2024 will secure a high-speed automatic identification system (AIS) on the NSR.
The density of meteorological stations is expected to increase to provide more precise weather forecasting, moreover, and by 2025 the hydrometeorological data would be available via GEO satellites. Safety is addressed by measures to improve the forecasting of ice conditions. Moreover, year-round shipping along NSR would require the creation of a unifying single operational control center, which is expected to be launched by 2021.
Port infrastructure development will require electricity generating capacity, the evaluation plan will include LNG-based solutions. The need for more skilled people and their training, including medical staff is considered in the plan. National shipbuilding stimulating measures include amongst others construction of containerships for the NSR. As for ecological measures, the plan states that there will be mandatory application of the best available technologies aimed at pollution reduction in the seas.
So far, the budget of the Russian Federation for 2020-2022 has funds of RUB2.9 bn (EUR 42 mill.) allocated to support navigational and hydrographic works on the Northern Sea Route. The whole budget for the full plan realization will only appear in the future. What is already clear, is that the plan is ambitious and capital-intensive since it tries to address many problems linked to NSR.
The document is read as a response to all accumulated criticism and uncertainty related to the NSR, especially in the areas of SAR, navigational safety, communications, ecology and prediction of weather and ice conditions.
- Hunt the high seas as a hyper-evolved super shark in 'Maneater' - Engadget - February 24th, 2020
- We need to intensify marine conservation efforts - Cosmos - February 24th, 2020
- Seablip: Everything We Know About The Stardew Valley-Inspired RPG (So Far) - TheGamer - February 24th, 2020
- Kevin Lyman seeks fan input on possible Warped Rewind At Sea 2.0 - Alternative Press - February 24th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Update Crews of Rage Out Now - TechRaptor - February 24th, 2020
- Control of offshore gas and oil provokes conflicts in eastern Mediterranean - World Socialist Web Site - February 24th, 2020
- Mozambique, rich in gas, could be going towards a disaster | Mozambique - Up News Info - February 24th, 2020
- Adapting to Rising Seas, Schools Move to the Rafters and Cats Swim - The New York Times - February 24th, 2020
- Efforts ongoing to prevent pollution from MV Alta wreck - The Irish Times - February 24th, 2020
- Ghost ships that drifted the oceans - My Sailing - February 24th, 2020
- Despite talks, more fighting likely in Libya | Michel Cousins - The Arab Weekly - February 24th, 2020
- MV Alta: The unmanned voyage of the Ballycotton ghost ship - The Irish Times - February 24th, 2020
- Parsifal III looks like its going to hit the dock in Below Deck: Sailing Yacht sneak peek - Monsters and Critics - February 24th, 2020
- The Call of the Wild is a picturesque cinematic journey that is ruined by the use of a CGI dog - The Canberra Times - February 24th, 2020
- Hardy beetles survived all that Zealandia threw at them for 40 million years - Stuff.co.nz - February 24th, 2020
- Weather warnings in place in parts of Ireland ahead of Storm Dennis - IrishCentral - February 12th, 2020
- Future Of Salmon In A Warming World Part 2 - KYUK - February 12th, 2020
- Top things to do in Tampa Bay this weekend: Feb. 14-16 - Tampa Bay Times - February 12th, 2020
- Virus Shuts North Koreas Best Route Around Trump Sanctions - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Saving the Ocean's Wildlife: Sustainable Food - KCPW - February 12th, 2020
- Things to Do: A wild cabaret, '90s blockbuster film, winter carnival and scaled-down 'South Pacific' - Press Herald - February 12th, 2020
- Hill and Immonen Plunge into aquatic horror in this exclusive preview - The A.V. Club - February 12th, 2020
- Bishop Kukah: Our hypocrisy and duplicity have caught up with us - Vatican News - February 12th, 2020
- Govt nod to India-Iceland pact in fisheries sector - Outlook India - February 12th, 2020
- A Desperate bid to Avert Rising Seas Disaster in Californias Bay Area - Government Technology - February 12th, 2020
- A Legless Black Man Comes Into a Windfall in This Biting Satire - The New York Times - February 12th, 2020
- Pirates of the Northern Seas and Scotland's Oceanic Criminals - Ancient Origins - February 12th, 2020
- Advisory Number 4 on the Tropical Cyclone UESI - Vanuatu - ReliefWeb - February 12th, 2020
- Virus outbreak shuts North Korea's best route around US sanctions - The Business Times - February 12th, 2020
- Snow and ice warning as Storm Ciara crosses the country - RTE.ie - February 12th, 2020
- Snow and wind hits the north as Met Office warnings continue - Press and Journal - February 12th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 2 Coming to Netflix in November 2019 ... - January 19th, 2020
- High Seas Season 3: Renewed For Third And Fourth Season ... - January 19th, 2020
- Mobile protected areas for biodiversity on the high seas - Science Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Townsend residents community involvement earns her an all-expense paid trip on the high seas - Lowell Sun - January 19th, 2020
- 5 High Seas Adventures To Watch When Youre Done With Pirates Of The Caribbean - WhatCulture - January 19th, 2020
- Mobile protected areas needed to preserve biodiversity in the high seas - indiablooms - January 19th, 2020
- Navigating the high seas of deals and discounts during Cruise Season - KING5.com - January 19th, 2020
- WATCH: Hovercraft struggles in the Solent strong winds and high seas hit hovers and trains - Isle of Wight County Press - January 19th, 2020
- Legendary Rockers KISS Return To The High Seas With KISS Kruise X - Icon Vs. Icon - January 19th, 2020
- Azur Lane: Crosswave Gets Ship-Shape With New Screenshots and Details Ahead Of Its U.S. Release - Gamepur - January 19th, 2020
- SpaceX delays dramatic in-flight abort test of Falcon 9 rocket to prove Crew Dragon is safe for astronauts - CBS News - January 19th, 2020
- 20 Things That Will Get Anyone In Hot Water With The Cruise Ship Staff - TheTravel - January 19th, 2020
- Annie's Lilla Crawford and Dear Evan Hansen's Jared Goldsmith Will Star in Readings of We Are Still Tornadoes - Playbill.com - January 19th, 2020
- Short Redhead Reel Reviews for the week of Jan. 17 - ECM Publishers - January 19th, 2020
- Dolittle Is One of the Worst Movies in Years - The Atlantic - January 19th, 2020
- Millions of Sharks Around the World May Have Fishing Hooks Stuck Inside Them, Scientists Suggest - Newsweek - January 19th, 2020
- 20 things everyone gets in hot water with the cruise ship staff - Mash Viral - January 19th, 2020
- Twitch streamer goes AFK at the worst possible time in Sea of Thieves - Dexerto - January 19th, 2020
- Ocean temperatures hit record high as rate of heating accelerates - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- Nul points for Britain in the EU revision bong contest - The Guardian - January 19th, 2020
- How an advert in the Echo led to a life on the high seas and France's highest order of merit - Liverpool Echo - January 19th, 2020
- Bobby Labonte lives up to family name with NASCAR Hall of Fame induction - Speedway Digest - January 19th, 2020
- Dolittle is muddled CGI chaos with a grotesque irony at its core - The Globe and Mail - January 19th, 2020
- Advanced Native 4K Projector Technology Hits the High Seas, as Panasonic Collaborates with Princess Cruises to Deliver Its First Immersive... - January 7th, 2020
- High Seas Season 3: Netflix Release Date, Cast And Other Details - The Digital Wise - January 7th, 2020
- High Seas Season: Heres Why This Spanish Suspense Drama Is A Must See! - TheNationRoar - January 7th, 2020
- These 5 Navies Are Uncontested On The High Seas - Yahoo News - January 7th, 2020
- Factbox: Highlights of Austrian conservative-Greens coalition deal - Reuters - January 7th, 2020
- Deadly conditions for Indonesian migrant crews tied to illegal fishing - Mongabay.com - January 7th, 2020
- Going Big with Marine Conservation - The UCSB Current - January 7th, 2020
- Tony Winner Paulo Szot and Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' Erika Jayne Join Broadway Cast of Chicago January 6 - Playbill.com - January 7th, 2020
- [UPDATE 9:27 am] Coast Guard Works to Rescue Three Crew Members of Commercial Fishing Boat Damaged Near the South Jetty - Redheaded Blackbelt - January 7th, 2020
- Gavin Creel to Perform at the Metropolitan Museum of Art - Playbill.com - January 7th, 2020
- Climate models agree things will get bad. Capturing just how bad is tricky - Science News - January 7th, 2020
- Cable Girls Season 5: 5 Things To Know Before Its Scheduled Netflix Release - The Digital Weekly - January 7th, 2020
- Enmeshed economies will bring us togeher Himal Southasian - Himal Southasian - January 7th, 2020
- Paul Watson: "If The Oceans Die, We Die" - Their Turn - January 7th, 2020
- Suite Life Of Zack & Cody: What Happened To Cole & Dylan Sprouse - Screen Rant - January 7th, 2020
- Does China Really Need Aircraft Carriers? - The National Interest Online - January 7th, 2020
- Weekends on the Web: Saturday & Sunday, January 4-5, 2020 - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - January 7th, 2020
- The Guardian view on Brexits fishy tale: we will need friends at sea - The Guardian - January 5th, 2020
- Trade negotiators have missed a deadline to help protect fish stocks - The Economist - January 5th, 2020
- MURDER IN '47: Monsters, boozehounds and battered women - Toronto Sun - January 5th, 2020
- They Find It Suffocating And About To Die By Plastic Thrown Into The Ocean [VIDEO] - Maritime Herald - January 5th, 2020
- Wow! 15 incredible things NYC kids can't miss in 2020 - Time Out New York Kids - January 5th, 2020
- Editorial: In this new decade, set the bar high - Concord Monitor - January 5th, 2020
- Dame Edna Rules the Waves, BBC1, review: Dame Edna was resplendent in fire-alarm pink on a gilt throne - inews - January 5th, 2020
- Why Zola from The Witcher looks so familiar - Looper - January 5th, 2020
- Dr Disrespect reveals his favorite streamers and why summit1g is "top" - Dexerto - January 5th, 2020