All's fair in Sea of Thieves. Sinking other ships and taking their treasure. Betraying your alliance so you can take all of the loot instead of just half. Four-man galleons ganging up on solo sloops. We're pirates, after all, and pirates aren't to be trusted.
But I have become the worst kind of Sea of Thieves pirate. I'm an outpost ambusher. And while I feel some degree of shame over this, it's not nearly enough shame to change my ways.
The outpost ambusher doesn't fight pirates on the high seas or go sword-to-musket with them on an uninhabited island. He waits at an outpost for another ship to arrive, a ship he knows is carrying treasure. He sinks his own ship ahead of time so the arriving pirates won't know he's there. He plants explosive barrels and detonates them from a safe distance, killing the other pirates just as they're about to cash in their loot. And then he rushes in to grab the treasure and quickly sell it himself.
That treasure was fought for and earned (or at least legitimately stolen) and was probably carried dozens of nautical miles to get there. The outpost ambusher carries it the last few feet and takes 100% of the profit.
That's what I've become in Sea of Thieves. An ambusher. A rat. I don't do it often, and I don't join a session with the express intent of ambushing other pirates at outposts. But when the opportunity for an outpost ambush presents itself, I don't hesitate for a second, and I've done it enough times that I can't pretend it's an anomaly. I will do it again.
The first time I ambushed pirates at an outpost in Sea of Thieves, months ago, it wasn't really my plan. I'd been playing solo, sailing around in my little sloop, pulling treasure out of randomly spawning shipwrecks. Then I'd head to seaposts and outposts to sell what I'd found, and along the way I'd usually fight a kraken or a megalodon and gather a bit more loot from them. It's an enjoyable solo loop, perfect for an hour or two of low-stakes play.
I was done playing for the night, so I headed toward the nearest outpost to sell the remaining loot I had. It was Plunder Outpost, which is right next to Lost Gold Fort, a skeleton stronghold. As I got close to Plunder Outpost, I noticed a player galleon anchored near the fort, which meant a crew was there battling waves of skeletons for a massive pile of loot. As I arrived at Plunder, the big skull cloud over the fort vanished, which meant the galleon crew had won.
It occurred to me that they'd probably head straight to Plunder Outpost, where I was, to sell everything. It would probably only take them a few minutes to load their ship and sail over. I realized I could be there waiting for them and their treasure-filled ship. Plus, I had some explosive barrels with mewhen I play solo I always pick up a few in case I get chased by other players.
I figured they would probably bring the most valuable chest to the merchant's tent first, so I placed an explosive barrel inside the tent. I scuttled my ship on the far side of the island so my mast wouldn't give me away. Then I hopped onto a roof of one of the vendors where I had a clear shot at the barrel I'd placed. I used the sleeping emote to lie down, and watched as they sailed over and docked.
It all worked perfectly except for the part where I completely failed. I'd guessed right: the first pirate off the galleon headed to merchant's tent carrying the expensive stronghold chest. I fired a sniper round and detonated the barrel, which killed him instantly, but I'd let him get too close to the tent. He'd managed to sell the crate a moment before he died. When I scurried over, there was nothing there but his dissipating ghost.
The rest of the treasure was in a rowboat that had been lowered to the water, but it was so crammed with loot I couldn't grab the stuff I really wanted. I only got a few pieces of low-value treasure out before the rest of the crew killed me.
Less than a week later, I wound up in almost the exact same situation again. I was heading toward Plunder Outpost, ready to call it a night, and I saw yet another galleon over at Lost Gold Fort. I had two explosive barrels this time, so I thought I'd try my ambush again.
This time, there was a bit of a twist. Shortly after the skull cloud vanished, I saw a sloop headed toward the fort. I could make out some distant cannonfire and through my spyglass I saw the masts of the galleon fall over. Several minutes later, I saw the sloop making its way toward the outpost where I'd scuttled my ship and was waiting. The sloop crew had sunk the galleon and taken all that treasure! And now I was going to try to take it from them, even though they'd put in the hard work of killing the pirates who'd put in the hard work to take down the fort. I'd be putting in no work at all because I'm a filthy rat.
This time my sniper shot was well-timed: I took out the pirate before he could sell the stronghold chest. I grabbed it, sold it, then took my second explosive barrel onto the sloop and nuked it. The pirate (who was apparently alone) respawned to find his ship already sinking, and we fought toe-to-toe on the beach. I managed to kill him and with his sloop destroyed he couldn't respawn. The pile of treasure he'd defeated the galleon crew for was floating in the water, all mine. It's the rattiest thing I've ever done, stealing from a legitimate thief.
I didn't try it again for a long, long while after that. Like I said, I'm a rat but an impatient one. I'm not going to spend my entire night lying on the roof at an outpost hoping someone sails over: I only ambush when the opportunity is already developing. Case in point, the other night.
I'd spent about 15 minutes crossing the sea in my sloop headed toward a reaper's chest, which appear in special, haunted shipwrecks you can see from anywhere on the map. Just as I was arriving I saw another sloop had beat me to it. A real pirate would chase them down and put some cannonballs in their hull, and maybe even sink them before they got the chest onboard.
But I'm no real pirate, so instead I headed to Sanctuary Outpost, the closest port. You sell the reaper's chests in the pub, so I scuttled my ship, dragged my barrel into the pub, placed it by the front door, and waited. Sure enough, a few minutes later I saw the sloop pulling up to the dock. When the pirate ran into the pub, I blew up the barrel and collected the chest myself.
I just wanted the chestI had spent all that time sailing toward it and so I felt vaguely (and wrongly) entitledbut after killing the second pirate I boarded their ship and stole a mermaid gem, too.
What can I say? I hate players like me. I'm a rat. I'm the worst kind of pirate. I'm an outpost ambusher. I'm not playing Sea of Thieves, I'm playing Sea of Thieves of Thieves.
So, if you've got a ship full of treasure and you're headed for an outpost, don't feel safe just because you don't see a sloop waiting there. Check the tents and pubs for barrels before you go rushing in with loot. And if you find me hiding nearby with a sniper rifle, kill me quickly and mercilessly. It's what I deserve and it's the only way I'll stop.
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 6th, 2020
- Disney Cruise Line Extends Pause of US Sailings Through October 31st, Canceling "Halloween on the High Seas" - LaughingPlace.com - August 6th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 6th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 6th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Windbound Preview - The Most Relaxing Survival Game You'll Play This Year - Twinfinite - August 6th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 3rd, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Video: Boxship Arrives in UAE With Toppled Containers - The Maritime Executive - August 3rd, 2020
- The Galapagos islands face an invasion of trawlers - The Economist - August 3rd, 2020
- The story behind the latest humongous ship to dock at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Live - August 3rd, 2020
- There are three scenarios at play - Press of Atlantic City - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas When Will Season 3 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar 'High Seas' Season 3: Has The Official Discussed Its Arrival And The Possible Storyline - The Digital Wise - July 31st, 2020
- Best swimming headphones 2020: best waterproof earbuds for the pool and the high seas - T3 - July 31st, 2020
- What are the long-term prospects for offshore wind? | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - July 31st, 2020
- Life is Strange - Partners in Time Comic Continues Max and Chloe's Story, Set to Release This October - Gameranx - July 31st, 2020
- Players team up on demand for Sea of Thieves to hit PS4 - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in August 2020 - Netflix Life - July 31st, 2020
- East Ladakh LAC Standoff: Winter is Coming - News Intervention - July 31st, 2020
- The Best Movies to Stream This Weekend in Seattle: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 31st, 2020
- China has won control of the South China Sea. Now we wait for Beijing's next move - ABC News - July 31st, 2020
- Flags of Convenience in Merchant Shipping - Sea News - July 31st, 2020
- 'Bartlow's Dread Machine' (ALL) Available On Steam Early Access - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - July 30th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - E-Flux - July 30th, 2020
- How to find Ashen Lords in Sea of Thieves Ashen Winds update - Gamepur - July 30th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Adds Auto Float Accessibility Option To Help Players With Underwater Phobias - GameSpot - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Movies and Shows to Watch in Portland This Weekend: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- 'High Seas'/'Alta Mar' Season 3: Release date, plot, cast and all you need to know about the show's return - MEAWW - July 30th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas season 3: Are We Getting It Soon Or We Have To Wait - The Digital Wise - July 29th, 2020
- Lockdown on the high seas | TheHill - The Hill - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaas, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 28th, 2020
- Sea ice extent in the Arctic reaches historical low in July - The Independent Barents Observer - July 28th, 2020
- Galapagos Islands: 'Protection strategy' set up after 'hundreds of Chinese fishing vessels' spotted nearby - Sky News - July 28th, 2020
- Why Waterworld Was a Failure in the '90s But Is Actually Much Better Than We Remember - Esquire.com - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaias, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 27th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - July 27th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - July 26th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - July 26th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - July 26th, 2020
- How we recruited albatrosses to patrol the high seas for illegal fishers - MENAFN.COM - July 26th, 2020
- 10 Movies To Watch If You Liked Greyhound | ScreenRant - Screen Rant - July 26th, 2020
- How to stop China completing its takeover of the South China Sea - The Strategist - July 26th, 2020
- Fisheries Subsidies Reform Could Reduce Overfishing and Illegal Fishing, Case Studies Find - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 26th, 2020
- HMS Challenger: The voyage that birthed oceanography - BBC News - July 26th, 2020
- High seas adventures and hilarity all part of 'Salty' - Petoskey News-Review - July 20th, 2020
- Global Fisheries Need Better Governance to Sustain Key Stocks - The Pew Charitable Trusts - July 20th, 2020
- Royal Caribbean Cruise Ship Hosting World's Only Biker Cruise in 2021 - Cruise Fever - July 20th, 2020
- Pirate attacks have doubled in Asia thanks to the coronavirus - New York Post - July 20th, 2020
- Top 10 world news: UK suspends extradition treaty, Oxford vaccine trials, and more - WION - July 20th, 2020
- The Pentagon confronts the pandemic - NationofChange - July 20th, 2020
- With Skull And Bones Missing, King Of Seas May Be Your Pirate ARRPG This Year - TechRaptor - July 20th, 2020
- 129 years in the UAE: My family's journey through the birth of a country - Gulf News - July 20th, 2020
- Justice League Death Metal Tie-In Introduces Major Villain: The Omega Knight - CBR - Comic Book Resources - July 20th, 2020
- Master & Commander 2? Why The Sequel Never Happened | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - July 20th, 2020
- Column One: At age 60 and paralyzed, she tried to row across the Pacific - Los Angeles Times - July 20th, 2020
- Buildings partially collapse after another night of raging seas on the NSW Central Coast - ABC News - July 20th, 2020
- S.A. Chakraborty Tells Us the Best Writing Advice She Ever Got in Reddit AMA - tor.com - July 20th, 2020
- Ghost of Tsushima could be a pirate game or the Three Musketeers - Explica - July 20th, 2020
- Pentagon Confronts the Pandemic - LA Progressive - July 20th, 2020
- Nile dam: Sudan says talks to break deadlock will be held on Tuesday - The National - July 20th, 2020
- How Not to Deal With Murder in Space - Slate - July 20th, 2020
- Nurses among those missing in Temotu - Solomon Star - July 20th, 2020
- HI-SEAS - July 19th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - IMDb - July 19th, 2020