Wednesday, 18 September 2019, 10:24 amPress Release: New Zealand Defence Force
A multi-national, interagency, high seas fisheries patrol insupport of the sustainable management of Pacific tunafisheries has recently concluded with high levels ofcompliance found.
Although bad weather affected thepatrol, nine fishing vessels were inspected with threealleged offences detected during the patrol.
A positivetrend apparent was the increased level of compliance withinthe licensed fleet compared with previous years. Rules areput in place on the high seas by the Western Central PacificFisheries Commission (WCPFC) which are designed to not onlyprotect the tuna stocks from overfishing but to alsominimise fishing impact on the surrounding marine ecosystem.
The New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) provides operationalsupport to the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) forfisheries patrols.
Royal New Zealand Navy offshore patrolvessel HMNZS Otago patrolled international waters adjacentto the Exclusive Economic Zones (EEZs) of New Zealand,Samoa, Tokelau, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Tonga and Fijiwhile Royal New Zealand Air Force P-3K2 Orion aircraftsupported the patrol with forward air support. The patrolwas also carried out in conjunction with Australia, Franceand the United States.
Maritime Component Commander,Commodore Tony Millar, Acting Commander Joint Forces NewZealand, said the NZDF regularly worked with MPI bydeploying ships and aircraft to assist New ZealandsPacific neighbours with fisheries monitoring andsurveillance activities.
These patrols are important asthey support our Pacific neighbours in the sustainablemanagement of the Pacific tuna fisheries, CommodoreMillar said.
The Commanding Officer of HMNZS Otago,Lieutenant Commander Ben Martin, said the ship supported MPIwith boarding teams, and maritime aviation via the SH2ISeasprite helicopter that was embarked on the ship.
Otago was involved in extensive patrols over a largearea of the South West Pacific, hailing and boarding fishingand transhipment vessels. The boardings found a number ofcompliant and non-compliant vessels, he said.
Thepatrols are carried out to ensure compliance with theWestern Central Pacific Fisheries Commission Treaty whichwas established in 2000 for the conservation and sustainablemanagement of highly migratory species including tuna,billfish and marlin.
During the inspections, catch recordsare checked, holds are inspected and the boarding partymakes sure the vessels fishing equipment meetsregulations.
MPI spokesperson Steve Ham, FisheriesCompliance Manager, said that overall the levels ofcompliance were high but the non-compliance identifiedshowed the importance of boarding inspections at sea.
Allmatters of non-compliance had been referred back to theresponsible flag state for investigation, he said. Inprevious years non-compliance like this had resulted insanctions such as fines, skippers removed from the fisheryand companies having fishing permits revoked.
One memberof the boarding party was HMNZS Otago Able ElectronicTechnician (AET) Timothy Ong, who speaks Mandarin and wasable to communicate with Chinese fishing captains, gainingvaluable information about their fishing activities.
Itwas also during the patrol in the Pacific that the crew of aP-3K2 Orion located a Chinese fishing vessel damaged by fireand arranged for the ships sister ship to rendezvous withthe stricken vessel. The next day the P-3K2 located a memberof the ships crew who had gone overboard, dropping a liferaft to the man who had been in the water for about 50 hoursby that stage. All 18 crew members were rescued.
Scoop Citizen Membership ScoopPro for Organisations
The rest is here:
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 4? Is There Any Possibility? - The Buzz Paper - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - Arkansas Democrat-Gazette - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas Season 3: Release Date, Cast, Plot, Trailer And All New Latest Information Here - World Top Trend - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 3 cast: Who is in the cast of High Seas? - Express - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 Expected Release Date, Cast Info and Every Other Detail - News Lagoon - August 10th, 2020
- Shark Week 2020: How The Pandemic Added To This Years Programming - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Oil Leak Stopped from Bulker as Mauritius Prepares for the Worst Case - The Maritime Executive - August 10th, 2020
- What series to watch this weekend on Netflix, HBO and Prime Video: The extraordinary Playlist of Zoey and the High Sea | Entertainment - Explica - August 10th, 2020
- Information sharing with regional partners aims to reel in transnational crime syndicates - Mirage News - August 10th, 2020
- African states are critical in advancing ocean governance - The Patriotic Vanguard - August 10th, 2020
- No end to South China Sea disputes without code of conduct - The Star Online - August 10th, 2020
- Tuesday's weather: Mainly fine and cool, but high seas in Western Cape and fire alerts elsewhere - News24 - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Season 4 : Will The Spanish Series Return For On Netflix? - Topbuzztrends.com - August 10th, 2020
- 'They just pull up everything!' Chinese fleet raises fears for Galpagos sea life - The Guardian - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High seas | maritime law | Britannica - August 10th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Netflix Review: Stream It or Skip It? - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas (TV Series 2019 ) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb - August 10th, 2020
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts ... - August 10th, 2020
- GAME ON: Drift gently along the high seas with your 'Raft,' your pals and sharks - NWAOnline - August 10th, 2020
- Releases of the week on Netflix: High Seas, Slender Man and more - Checkersaga - August 10th, 2020
- The best and most beautiful boating holidays in the UK and Europe this year - iNews - August 10th, 2020
- Maintaining Command of the Sea: Maritime Doctrines of Pakistan and India - Modern Diplomacy - August 10th, 2020
- Alta Mar season 4 Netflix release date: Will there be another series of High Seas? - Express - August 7th, 2020
- To Protect Seabed, Countries Should Thoroughly Review Proposed Mining Projects - The Pew Charitable Trusts - August 7th, 2020
- GTA Online is getting new missions, cars, and races next week - PCGamesN - August 7th, 2020
- Puerto Rico to Repair Pier 3 in San Juan - The Weekly Journal - August 7th, 2020
- The Best Movies and TV Shows New to Netflix, Amazon and Stan in Australia in August - The New York Times - August 7th, 2020
- The US military has options against China | TheHill - The Hill - August 7th, 2020
- Muddying the Waters - Architecture - e-flux - E-Flux - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Review: A murder, a deadly virus and new players put Eva on guard but where is Nicolas? - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- Apple's Refreshed 27-Inch iMac Looks to Be a Powerhouse and the End of an Era - Gizmodo UK - August 7th, 2020
- Here's Everything New Coming To Netflix This Week, August 6 - BuzzFeed - August 7th, 2020
- Where are Tropical Weather Forecasts Made? - The Maritime Executive - August 7th, 2020
- Whats new on Netflix in August 2020 all the shows and movies coming soon - RadioTimes - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3 Preview: Eva and Carolina need to solve the new mystery before it's too late - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- 'High Seas' Season 3: Meet Ivana Baquero, Jon Kortajarena and rest of the cast of the Netflix series - MEAWW - August 7th, 2020
- All Aboard! Target Has Ghostly Pirate Ship Cat Scratchers and, Yep, There's a Poop Deck - POPSUGAR - August 6th, 2020
- Windbound Preview - The Most Relaxing Survival Game You'll Play This Year - Twinfinite - August 6th, 2020
- Mahlon Reye Boats on Deadliest Catch: What Boat Was Mahlon Reye On? - The Cinemaholic - August 6th, 2020
- Isaias strengthens into a hurricane, South Jersey in forecasted path - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Giants' Judge says sacrifice needed for NFL to have season - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Friday brings rain, storms, repeat of last week, also watching Iasias - Press of Atlantic City - August 6th, 2020
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry Will Never Make It in Hollywood, Expert Claims - Showbiz Cheat Sheet - August 6th, 2020
- Men are rescued after leaving a message on an island - Explica - August 6th, 2020
- Everything Coming To Netflix This Week: August 1st August 9th - Grit Daily - August 3rd, 2020
- Wet pattern continues as two weather systems bring rain to over 25 states - WGRZ.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Rare, million-dollar copies of a letter written by Christopher Columbus replaced with fakes - 60 Minutes - CBS News - August 3rd, 2020
- 7 New Netflix Shows in August 2020, and the Best Reasons to Watch - IndieWire - August 3rd, 2020
- Transformers Join the Battle in World of Warships Game Announced - Tformers.com - August 3rd, 2020
- Great white shark that pinged off Atlantic City, Ocean City leaves South Jersey - Press of Atlantic City - August 3rd, 2020
- Breaking up is hard to do, but sometimes it needs to be done - The Japan Times - August 3rd, 2020
- Video: Boxship Arrives in UAE With Toppled Containers - The Maritime Executive - August 3rd, 2020
- The Galapagos islands face an invasion of trawlers - The Economist - August 3rd, 2020
- The story behind the latest humongous ship to dock at Ocean Terminal in Edinburgh - Edinburgh Live - August 3rd, 2020
- There are three scenarios at play - Press of Atlantic City - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas When Will Season 3 Release On Netflix? - NationEditions - July 31st, 2020
- Alta Mar 'High Seas' Season 3: Has The Official Discussed Its Arrival And The Possible Storyline - The Digital Wise - July 31st, 2020
- Best swimming headphones 2020: best waterproof earbuds for the pool and the high seas - T3 - July 31st, 2020
- What are the long-term prospects for offshore wind? | ESI-Africa.com - ESI Africa - July 31st, 2020
- Life is Strange - Partners in Time Comic Continues Max and Chloe's Story, Set to Release This October - Gameranx - July 31st, 2020
- Players team up on demand for Sea of Thieves to hit PS4 - Explica - July 31st, 2020
- 35 best new Netflix movies and shows coming in August 2020 - Netflix Life - July 31st, 2020
- East Ladakh LAC Standoff: Winter is Coming - News Intervention - July 31st, 2020
- The Best Movies to Stream This Weekend in Seattle: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - TheStranger.com - July 31st, 2020
- China has won control of the South China Sea. Now we wait for Beijing's next move - ABC News - July 31st, 2020
- Flags of Convenience in Merchant Shipping - Sea News - July 31st, 2020
- 'Bartlow's Dread Machine' (ALL) Available On Steam Early Access - Trailer - WorthPlaying.com - July 30th, 2020
- Revaluing the Oceans - Architecture - E-Flux - July 30th, 2020
- How to find Ashen Lords in Sea of Thieves Ashen Winds update - Gamepur - July 30th, 2020
- Sea of Thieves Adds Auto Float Accessibility Option To Help Players With Underwater Phobias - GameSpot - July 30th, 2020
- The Best Movies and Shows to Watch in Portland This Weekend: July 30-Aug 2, 2020 - The Portland Mercury - July 30th, 2020
- 'High Seas'/'Alta Mar' Season 3: Release date, plot, cast and all you need to know about the show's return - MEAWW - July 30th, 2020
- Alta Mar High Seas season 3: Are We Getting It Soon Or We Have To Wait - The Digital Wise - July 29th, 2020
- Lockdown on the high seas | TheHill - The Hill - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaas, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 28th, 2020
- Sea ice extent in the Arctic reaches historical low in July - The Independent Barents Observer - July 28th, 2020
- Galapagos Islands: 'Protection strategy' set up after 'hundreds of Chinese fishing vessels' spotted nearby - Sky News - July 28th, 2020
- Why Waterworld Was a Failure in the '90s But Is Actually Much Better Than We Remember - Esquire.com - July 28th, 2020
- National Hurricane Center monitoring what could be Isaias, may track to the East Coast - Press of Atlantic City - July 27th, 2020