The pirate theme in movies continues to be as alive and well in 2021 as it was 100 years ago. Disneys recent ride-inspired film The Jungle Cruise scored A-listers Dwayne Johnson and Emily Blunt as the leads and the upcoming live-action Peter Pan & Wendy starring Yara Shahidi and Jude Law is set to be released in 2022. Thankfully, you dont have to wait to watch a great pirate film today, matey.
From action films that pack literal punches (it wasnt just the bad diet that made pirates lose their teeth) to family-friendly films that have just enough scares to keep teens and adults entertained, the world of the best pirate movies is as wide as the open seas.
Pirate movies can be a fun way to get inspired for Halloween (yay, costume ideas!), or they can simply serve as a night of entertainment. Dream of sailing the high seas, searching for treasure, and pulling off a hat and bird-on-shoulder combo? Check out our favorite pirate movies below, if you dare theres a lot of curses in the best pirate movies.
It doesnt get much more swashbucking than the first installment in the hugely successful Pirates of the Caribbean franchise. Inspired by the Disney theme park ride, the film doesnt conclude with a trip through a gift shop, but it did lead to four more films and a renewed interested in all things pirate (see: every Halloween costume after 2003). Johnny Depps introduction to his Keith Richardson-inspired Jack Sparrow character, a drunken sailor who is just smart enough to stay alive through fights, follies and scurvy, earned him an Oscar nomination. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley help to ground the film and add a love story with plenty of sword fighting, while Geoffrey Rushs villainous Barbossa brought a splendidly spooky aspect to a pirate movie that features pirates both living and dead.
Buy: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl $17.99
If you judge a films success based on how well iconic lines are remembered, Captain Phillips definitely earned its spot on our list. Based on the true story of Captain Richard Phillips and the hostage situation of his merchant boat by Somali pirates, this pirate movie earned six Academy Award nominations, including one for newcomer Barkhad Abdi i.e. the captain now. Tom Hanks stars as Phillips in the Paul Greengrass-directed film, which packs pulse-racing action and real-world stakes into a two-hour film that proves real pirates are just as scary, if not more so, than the fictionalized version audiences see in movies.
Buy: Captain Phillips $12.99
In Steven Spielbergs beloved 1991 pirate movie, Peter Pan finally grew up and became a corporate lawyer. Yeah, this is exactly what he was afraid of happening. When his children are kidnapped by Captain Hook, Peter, who has no memory of his childhood, must figure out what it means to use his imagination and fly. Robin Williams is brilliant as Peter and the all-star cast is rounded out by Julia Roberts as Tinker Bell, Maggie Smith as Wendy Darling, Bob Hoskins as Smee, and Dustin Hoffman as the eponymous Captain Hook. From the stunning sets to the high-action fight scenes, Hook remains a classic family film that will still have young viewers believing in magic and chanting for Rufio.
Buy: Hook $12.99
The Goonies may have the least amount of water of all the pirate films on our list, but the classic Spielberg coming-of-age film still has plenty of yo-ho-hoing to earn its spot. While trying to save the homes in their neighborhood from foreclosure, a group of friends known as the Goonies stumbles upon a treasure map leading them to a fortune once owned by a pirate. The film made stars out of its young cast, which included Sean Astin, Josh Brolin and Corey Feldman, and continues to be a fan favorite that new generations of movie-goers can enjoy.
Buy: The Goonies $7.99
Starting in 1953 with Disneys animated film, which, tbh, still holds up, the story of Peter Pan and Neverland continues to be celebrated on screen. Theres Hook, Pan, Wendy, the aforementioned upcoming Peter Pan & Wendy, plus several live-action movies made for TV. One of the best forays into the world of the Lost Boys was in 2003s Peter Pan. The film failed to land on its feet at the box office, possibly due to a lack of big-name stars attached, but it remains one of the best retellings of J.M. Barries classic story. From intricate backdrops to impressive special effects, the film is filled with several pirate-heavy fight scenes and has all the magic and wonder of Barries original tale.
Buy: Peter Pan $14.99
Most pirate films focus on a central character who is an impressive commander of the seas. This is not one of those movies. The hilarious and family-friendly pirate movie, The Pirates: Band of Misfits, is a stop-motion flick that centers around a band of misfit pirates (its right there in the title) as they try to win the Pirate of the Year award. The film was helmed by Wallace & Gromit creators Aardman Animations and earned an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Film. Featuring voices by Hugh Grant, Martin Freeman, Salma Hayek, Imelda Staunton, and David Tenant, the fun-loving film has enough humor to keep adults entertained without the blood and gore that makes most pirate films too scary for kids.
Buy: The Pirates: Band of Misfits $12.99
Theres no shortage of examples of Disneys take on the pirate genre, but one of the most important was the studios 1950 pirate move, Treasure Island. Starring Bobby Driscoll and Robert Newton, Treasure Island was Disneys first film that was completely shot in live-action. Bringing Robert Louis Stevensons novel to life, the film was a marvel at the time thanks to its impressive sets and action scenes. While more recent Treasure Islands have had the benefit of improved special effects, the OG film of Jim Hawkins and Long John Silver was a marvel at the time of its release.
Buy: Treasure Island $17.99
For a fun take on the pirate genre, the 1952 pirate movie The Crimson Pirate brings action, comedy, romance and even some impressive stunts for the time period. A tongue-in-cheek pirate flick that stars Burt Lancaster and his abs, the action-packed film is part pirate-spoof, part pirate homage. The classic film has earned an impressive 100 percent fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes and continues to be a delightful watch for anyone looking for a pirate film that doesnt take itself too seriously.
Buy: The Crimson Pirate $2.99
As evidenced by the 2020 re-enactment featuring todays biggest celebs and a virtual table read by the original cast, the love for all things Princess Bride continues. The film about two lovers separated by pirates continues to be one of the most beloved comedies ever made. Adapted from William Goldmans 1973 novel, the 1987 Rob Reiner pirate movie didnt open to great fanfare at the box office but has since become a cult classic. Rumors of a remake were quickly shot down (prepare to die, remake rumors) by film lead Cary Elwes and Jamie Lee Curtis, whose husband Christopher Guest also appeared in The Princess Bride. A perfect pirate film left untouched for future audiences to enjoy? As you wish.
Buy: The Princess Bride $14.99
It can get lonely on the high seas, so naturally, there are some pirate movies with a touch of romance. Exhibit A is Cutthroat Island, a film plagued by rewrites and panned as one of the biggest box office bombs ever but to be clear, its still pretty entertaining. Were not watching pirate films for Oscar-winning performances, right?* While the script may be a bit outlandish (again, its a pirate movie), Geena Davis and Matthew Modine star in the 1995 movie that serves up plenty of action and stunning backdrops. For a pirate film that purely entertains, Cutthroat Island continues to be a fun romp.
*Ignore several of the Oscar-nominated films above when reading this statement.
Buy: Cutthroat Island $6.99
More from SPY
Read the original post:
- High Seas Trading Co.- Hawaiian shirts | Aloha Shirts | USA Made Clothing| - July 8th, 2022
- Romance on the High Seas (1948) - IMDb - July 8th, 2022
- High Seas and High Stakes Communications: Securing the Maritime ... - July 8th, 2022
- Review: 'The Sea Beast' is a high-seas animated adventure with surprising depth - WTOP - July 8th, 2022
- Canada hopes to lure more nations into fighting illicit fishing on the high seas - Canada's National Observer - July 8th, 2022
- Man Accused Of Killing Mother At Sea To Inherit Her Millions Seeks Pre-Trial Release - Oxygen - July 8th, 2022
- 7 new movies and shows to watch this weekend on Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV Plus and more (July 8) - Tom's Guide - July 8th, 2022
- Ubisoft finally shows us Skull and Bones, and it just makes me want to play Sea of Thieves - PC Gamer - July 8th, 2022
- Battling Mountainous Seas Powerless Bulker is Moved to Shelter - The Maritime Executive - July 8th, 2022
- The Metals Company and Allseas - GuruFocus.com - July 8th, 2022
- Taika Waititi Explains His Vision For Representation In Thor: Love And Thunder - Looper - July 8th, 2022
- PierPressure party boat hits Milford's high seas in June - CTPost - May 12th, 2022
- Cruise the Sea in These Luxury Five-Star Pods - The Market Herald - May 12th, 2022
- On the high seas with Engineers Australia's Young Engineering Associate of the Year - Create - create digital - May 12th, 2022
- Are the Great Lakes Really Inland Seas? - Atlas Obscura - April 28th, 2022
- How to Charter a Superyacht: Everything You Need to Know About Booking a High-Seas Vacation - Robb Report - April 28th, 2022
- India and the US Navigate Their Differences - Heritage.org - April 28th, 2022
- Nexxiot equips a significant share of the 3 mio TEU fleet from Hapag-Lloyd with IoT Technology - CSCMP's Supply Chain Quarterly - April 28th, 2022
- New Wrtsil large bore engine will debut in Utopia of the Seas - Marine Log - April 28th, 2022
- Cruising for beginners: Life on Royal Caribbean's Wonder of the Seas - bars, restaurants and activities - RSVP Live - April 28th, 2022
- New Zealand unveils plan to tackle climate crisis by adapting cities to survive rising seas - The Guardian - April 28th, 2022
- Disney On Ice presents INTO THE MAGIC | News - AussieTheatre.com - April 28th, 2022
- HOW I BECAME A PIRATE to Be Performed at The Perry Pavilion - Broadway World - April 28th, 2022
- The present and future of the Philippines-India partnership - The Manila Times - April 28th, 2022
- Joliet native serves aboard USS Hershel "Woody" Williams - 1340 WJOL - 1340 WJOL - April 28th, 2022
- Does the Sinking of the Moskva Matter and Why? - Russia Matters - April 28th, 2022
- Rescued sailor joins RNLI Mayday call as figures reveal busy year for Manx crews - rnli.org - April 28th, 2022
- International waters - Wikipedia - April 14th, 2022
- - High Seas Alliance - April 14th, 2022
- Weather forecast: Showers and rough seas - Dominican Today - April 14th, 2022
- Naval Service on the offensive to enlist more personnel - Irish Examiner - April 14th, 2022
- Meet the Iron Duke-Class: The Most Powerful Battleship of World War I? - 19FortyFive - April 14th, 2022
- Groove Cruise, The World's Largest Floating Dance Music Festival, Announces Its Upcoming Excursion Aboard Newly Remodeled and Award-Winning Ship - PR... - April 14th, 2022
- Costa Rica Directs its Efforts Towards Protecting the Ocean : - The Tico Times - April 14th, 2022
- MAIB: Crew's Comfort With Rough Weather May Have Caused Container Loss - The Maritime Executive - April 14th, 2022
- Sanctioned and Sailing Through Chinese Waters: The Case of the UN-Blacklisted Hoe Ryong - The Diplomat - April 14th, 2022
- World Sailing Speed Record Looks To Be Obliterated By The SP80 Sailboat - Boss Hunting - April 14th, 2022
- Sea Girl Carbon Theatre - The Reviews Hub - April 14th, 2022
- Hawke's Bay rain starts but less forecast than in original warnings - New Zealand Herald - April 14th, 2022
- Sailing the High Seas with Dejeros Cloud-Based Production Tools - TV Technology - October 9th, 2021
- Input wanted on changes to high seas fishing rules - The Bay's News First - SunLive - October 9th, 2021
- 9 crew of Indian vessel stranded on high seas rescued - The Statesman - October 9th, 2021
- Coast Guard rescues 9 crew members of mechanised vessal stranded in high seas - News Today - October 9th, 2021
- In Mumbai rave party bust, NCB carries out first-ever drugs search on cruise liner in high seas - Deccan Herald - October 9th, 2021
- Easy Halloween costume ideas for the continued collapse of society - Tampa Bay Times - October 9th, 2021
- What We Do In The Shadows Recap: The Siren - The Workprint - October 9th, 2021
- Trinidad and Tobago chaos over who actually owns the House of Football - Inside World Football - October 9th, 2021
- Deep seabed mining is risky. If something goes wrong, who will pay for it? - Mongabay.com - October 9th, 2021
- Students win new UH awards to protect oceans | University of Hawaii System News - UH System Current News - October 9th, 2021
- Seabed Mining: The Coast Guard's Deep Future - CIMSEC - October 9th, 2021
- SBI launches NAV-eCash Card. Check features and benefits here - Mint - October 9th, 2021
- Navigating Miocene Ocean Temperatures for Insights into the Future - Eos - October 9th, 2021
- Planning a Cruise? Here's What You Need to Know - NBC San Diego - October 9th, 2021
- National Grid in talks over plan for energy island in North Sea - The Guardian - October 9th, 2021
- A drone survives a sail into a major hurricane and "lives" to show the video - KTVZ - October 9th, 2021
- Listen closely: How sound could help improve the way we manage fisheries and conservation - Dal News - October 9th, 2021
- To solve space traffic woes, look to the high seas - MIT Technology Review - August 24th, 2021
- Who Is Going to Map the High Seas? - Hydro International - August 24th, 2021
- War on the High Seas - The Maritime Executive - August 24th, 2021
- Almost there: One more month until calmer seas, better weather - spacecityweather.com - August 24th, 2021
- Meet Rex, a Regal 417-Foot Expedition Yacht Concept With an Underwater Lounge and Helicopter Parking - Yahoo Lifestyle - August 24th, 2021
- Our first vacation fish, and other standout moments of summer 2021 | Pamelas Food Service Diary - SILive.com - August 24th, 2021
- HAWAII Hawaii County Weather Forecast for August 22, 2021 BIG ISLAND NOW - Big Island Now - August 24th, 2021
- NOAA Just Named 31 Nations That Engage in Illegal or Unregulated Fishing. Here's Why That's a Step in the Right Direction. - Earthjustice - August 24th, 2021
- Henri likely to bring rough seas to the south, possibly heavy rainfall in northern Delaware - delawarebusinessnow.com - August 24th, 2021
- You have what you voted for - Santa Barbara News-Press - August 24th, 2021
- Annette and a truly weird summer at the movies - Vox.com - August 24th, 2021
- As Henri Nears US Coast, Threat to Long Island Increases - East Hampton Star - August 24th, 2021
- Indias Highway Construction Is in the Fast Lane - Fair Observer - August 24th, 2021
- The Fiji Times Skipper's legacy A lover of the sea - Fiji Times - August 24th, 2021
- Chubut imposes strict measures on shrimp landings to protect the fishery - MercoPress - August 24th, 2021
- Jellyfish Found in Greece are the Least Dangerous of All - Greek Reporter - August 24th, 2021
- Indian Ocean: The maritime links of India-Malaysia - Hindustan Times - August 24th, 2021
- Shark Experts Agree, These Are The 5 Best Dive Sites In The World - Forbes - August 24th, 2021
- North Vancouver RCMP remind boaters of rules on the water during education blitz - North Shore News - August 24th, 2021
- Salinity Measurements of the Adriatic Sea Record an Unprecedented Increase - Total Croatia News - August 24th, 2021
- China and the Agreement to Prevent Unregulated High Seas Fisheries in the Central Arctic Ocean - The Diplomat - June 10th, 2021
- Africa must protect the high seas before its too late - Mail and Guardian - June 10th, 2021
- Bringing the High Seas Biodiversity Treaty Into Port - Council on Foreign Relations - June 10th, 2021
- SEACOR Power survivor begged God to 'calm the seas' after being swept overboard - WWLTV.com - June 10th, 2021