Check out BJPenn.coms list of the top-10 MMA fighters of the decade, featuring the likes of Conor McGregor, Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey, Demetrious Johnson and Cris Cyborg.
The first thing to note is that this is a very subjective and difficult list to come up with. There were so many fighters who could be included in the discussion, but ultimately we had to leave many of them off since its just a top-10. But before we do that, heres a list of some honorable mentions that just missed the list.
Honorable mentions: Max Holloway, Nate Diaz, Tony Ferguson, Eddie Alvarez, Donald Cerrone, Michael Bisping, Frankie Edgar, Rafael dos Anjos, Stipe Miocic, Cain Velasquez, Aung La N Sang, Kyoji Horiguchi, Junior dos Santos, Israel Adesanya, Joanna Jedrzejczyk, Robbie Lawler, Douglas Lima, Patricio Pitbull, Michael Chandler, Mamed Khalidov.
And now, the top-10 fighters of the decade, along with their records from 2010-2019, and a quick rundown of their accomplishments in the sport.
10. Cris Cyborg (13-1, 1 NC)
Cyborg had an incredible decade as she held the UFC featherweight title, the Strikeforce featherweight title, and the Invicta FC featherweight title. She was the scariest female fighter for most of the decade and deserves a top-10 spot on this list. If Cyborg didnt lose to Amanda Nunes at UFC 232 she would be higher on this list, but that loss does knock her down a few pegs. Still, she was incredible. Some of her top performances include two stoppage wins over Marloes Coenen and her destruction of Leslie Smith in her UFC debut.
9. Jose Aldo (12-5)
Even though Aldo flamed out a bit at the end of the decade, what he did during the first half of it cant be forgotten. He started off the decade by defending the WEC featherweight title twice, then he became the first-ever UFC featherweight champion and went on to defend the belt seven times. Some of his most memorable performances include an epic battle against Mark Hominick at UFC 229, two crazy fights with Chad Mendes, and headlining the WECs first-ever pay-per-view against Urijah Faber at WEC 48.
8. Amanda Nunes (15-3)
Nunes was incredible this decade, winning the UFC bantamweight and featherweight titles the first woman in MMA history to be a champ champ and going 12-2 overall inside the Octagon while fighting the highest-level of competition. A couple of losses earlier in the decade drop her down a few spots and keep her out of the elite of this list, but theres no doubt Nunes was incredibly dominant. Some of her top performances include her KO win over Cris Cyborg at UFC 232, his KO win over Ronda Rousey UFC 207, and her submission win over Miesha Tate at UFC 200.
7. Georges St. Pierre (7-0)
GSP had an underrated decade, going unbeaten over the seven fights he had. He also became one of the few fighters to win two belts in two separate weight classes as he defended the UFC welterweight title six times and then beat Michael Bisping at UFC 217 to become the UFC middleweight champion four years after first retiring. Its a shame GSP didnt fight more frequently and retired twice or else he would have been higher on this list. Some of his top performances including his submission over Bisping and his controversial split decision win over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 that led to his first retirement from MMA.
6. Demetrious Johnson (22-3-1)
Many will argue that Johnson deserves the top spot on this list, and if we go by pound-for-pound rankings theres a good argument he should be higher. After all, Johnson was a dominant champion in the UFC between 2012 and 2018, becoming the UFCs first-ever flyweight champion and defending it 11 times. The only problem with Johnson is that he wasnt able to win fans over in the way that some of the other fighters on this list did. But if we go by pure dominance inside the cage, hes right up there with the best of them. Some of his top performances include his two wins over Joseph Benavidez, his insane submission over Ray Borg at UFC 216, and knocking out Henry Cejudo at UFC 197. We should also mention he was part of the first-ever trade in MMA history for Ben Askren and went on to win the ONE Championship Flyweight Grand Prix after he left the UFC, further strengthening his resume on a new continent, and signalling more dominance to come.
5. Khabib Nurmagomedov (21-0)
It was an amazing decade for Nurmagomedov as he didnt lose a single one of his 21 fights, which was the best record of anyone on this list. Whats amazing is that Nurmagomedov missed two years between 2014 and 2016 with injuries, otherwise his record might be even better. He was dominant in the Octagon with a 12-0 record, with notable wins over the likes of Conor McGregor at UFC 229 and Michael Johnson at UFC 205. He also carried the torch from Fedor Emelianenko and became a huge star in Russian MMA.
4. Daniel Cormier (21-2, 1 NC)
DCs decade was among the very best as he was both the UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion, not to mention the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix Champion. If it wasnt for his loss and No Contest to Jon Jones, theres an argument that DC could actually be at the very top of this list. But even with the Jones fights, what DC accomplished in the 2010s was astonishing. Some of his top performances include his KO win over Stipe Miocic at UFC 226 to win the UFC heavyweight title, beating Josh Barnett in Strikeforce to win the Grand Prix, and two submission wins over Anthony Johnson at light heavyweight.
3. Ronda Rousey (12-2)
Rousey ended up losing a few fights at the end of her career to Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes, but its hard to argue that she wasnt the most important female fighter in the sport. Before Rousey, there was no such thing as womens MMA in the UFC, but she was the most important driver of bringing women into the Octagon. She was the UFC womens bantamweight champion and the Strikeforce womens bantamweight champion, and she defended that title seven times. Some of her top performances include submitting Miesha Tate twice, knocking out Bethe Correia at UFC 190, and tapping out Cat Zingano in 14 seconds at UFC 184. Its amazing she accomplished all of this in less than seven years.
2. Jon Jones (16-0, 1 NC)
Many will argue that Jones should be No. 1 on this list, and I can see the argument. He was insanely dominant during the decade and emerged as arguably the greatest fighter in MMA history. Jones burst onto the scene in the late 2000s then became the UFC light heavyweight champion in 2011 and he hasnt lost a fight since, defending it 10 times. If it wasnt for his issues outside the Octagon and with USADA, he would be No. 1 on this list, but we cant ignore those issues. Still, Jones was unstoppable for the most part and he deserves to be at the top of this list. Some of his top performances include beating Mauricio Shogun Rua at UFC 128 to win the UFC light heavyweight title, knocking out Daniel Cormier with a head kick at UFC 214, and his violent masterpiece against Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 165 in what many regard as the best fight of the decade.
McGregor might not have the most wins this decade, but its hard to argue he wasnt the most important fighter of the 2010s as he transformed the sport of MMA. When the UFC was going through a transition with past stars like Chuck Liddell and Brock Lesnar retiring, McGregor entered the Octagon and became a living legend. He became the UFC lightweight and featherweight champion, coining the term champ champ in the process as he became the first UFC fighter to hold two belts at the same time. Some of McGregors most notable performances of the decade include his 13-second KO win over Jose Aldo to win the UFC featherweight title at UFC 194, his mauling of Eddie Alvarez to win the UFC lightweight title at UFC 205, and his two legendary fights with Nate Diaz. Plus his boxing match against Floyd Mayweather in 2017 broke pay-per-view records. You may not be a fan of McGregor, and some of his issues outside the Octagon hurt him here, but you cant argue with what hes accomplished when he has stepped into the cage.
What do you think of BJPenn.coms top-10 MMA fighters of the decade list?
See the original post here:
- The Best CYBORG Comics DC Fans Need To Read | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- Cyborg Confirmed To Make His DCEU Return In The Flash - We Got This Covered - June 21st, 2020
- Justice League: Cyborg Is The Key To Defeating Darkseid - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- THE FLASH Producer Seemingly Confirms That Ray Fisher's Cyborg Will Indeed Appear In The Movie - CBM (Comic Book Movie) - June 21st, 2020
- Supermans Worst Villain is Based On A MARVEL Hero - Screen Rant - June 21st, 2020
- 5 Modern Technologies That You First Saw In Movies, TV Shows - YourStory - June 21st, 2020
- 30 years ago, Star Trek's Borg canon was rewritten for the scarier - SYFY WIRE - June 21st, 2020
- DC: How A Video Game Revealed The History Of Earth-17 | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 21st, 2020
- This new social network for fitness will forever change your gym and activity tracking #110264 - New Kerala - June 21st, 2020
- My 11-Year-Old Came Up With a Better Government - The New York Times - June 21st, 2020
- Netflix's Eurovision movie with Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams tops this week's TV must-sees - Gananoque Reporter - June 21st, 2020
- Why Justice League's Snyder Cut Will Be On Another Level | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - June 21st, 2020
- Who is The Best UFC Fighter of All Time? - Essentially Sports - June 21st, 2020
- Ray Fisher says Cyborg story in Zack Snyder's Justice League will hit some hearts" - Flickering Myth - May 28th, 2020
- Cyborg & Deathstroke Have One MAJOR Thing in Common | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 28th, 2020
- Transhumanism: Meet the cyborgs and biohackers redefining beauty - CNN - May 28th, 2020
- Researchers Have Created a Cyborg Eye that Works Like the Real Thing - PetaPixel - May 28th, 2020
- Watch Cyborg Actor Ray Fisher Tear Up After the Snyder Cut Announcement - Epicstream - May 28th, 2020
- Half My Nightmares Start With This Giant Cyborg Teddy Bear Learning How to Hug - Gizmodo Australia - May 28th, 2020
- Scientists Create A Cyborg Eye Thats Almost Like The Real Thing - Ubergizmo - May 28th, 2020
- The Worst Parts of Justice League Theatrical Cut, From Supermans CGI Mouth to That Underwater Battle - TheWrap - May 28th, 2020
- What Is The Justice League Snyder Cut Explained | Screen Rant - Screen Rant - May 28th, 2020
- New biomimetic eye research could indicate the future of prosthetic, super-human eyes - Pocket-lint - May 28th, 2020
- Demos for System Shock, Destroy All Humans, and five other upcoming games popped up on GOG - Destructoid - May 28th, 2020
- Darkseid's Greatest Weapon is Nothing To Wonder Woman - Screen Rant - May 28th, 2020
- Henry Cavill will be back as Supermansomewhere - The A.V. Club - May 28th, 2020
- A New Free-To-Play Game Titled Roller Riot Has Just Been Released Full Of Cyberpunk Themed Action - Happy Gamer - May 3rd, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reflects on KO loss to Amanda Nunes: It kept flashing through my head - Bloody Elbow - May 3rd, 2020
- Aldo, Cyborg reflect on what happened after losses to McGregor, Nunes - MMA Fighting - May 3rd, 2020
- Code 404, review: As with the bungling DI John Major himself, this comedy only just about works - The Independent - May 3rd, 2020
- Titans Tomorrow: What Happened to the Teen Titans' Darkest Timeline? - CBR - Comic Book Resources - May 3rd, 2020
- Bops Only: 10 Songs You Need to Start Your Weekend Right - Papermag - May 3rd, 2020
- People Are Getting Microchipped in Sweden, and It's Pretty Normal - VICE - May 3rd, 2020
- 10 Biggest Ways The DCEU Has Changed From Original Plans - WhatCulture - May 3rd, 2020
- Bellator In The 2010s: Looking Back At The Female Divisions - The MIX - May 3rd, 2020
- He Should Do Something Other Than Thinking About Himself Cris Cyborg Hits out at Dana White - Essentially Sports - April 20th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg Reveals Superfight but Not Where You'd Expect - Heavy.com - April 20th, 2020
- Scientists create tiny devices that work like the human brain - The Independent - April 20th, 2020
- UFC In The 2010s: Looking Back At Female Featherweight Division - The MIX - April 20th, 2020
- Local gallopers set their sights on Wagga Guineas - Tumut and Adelong Times - April 20th, 2020
- Justice League 2 Is Not Coming Soon: How Much Time Will It Take?? Whats The Plot And ... - Union Journalism - April 20th, 2020
- As the Coronavirus Spreads, Conspiracy Theories Are Going Viral Too - Foreign Policy - April 20th, 2020
- Justice League TV series is in the works from JJ Abrams - RadioTimes - April 20th, 2020
- It Puts the UFC on the Same Level as NBA and NFL Ronda Rousey Defends UFC Sponsorship Deal - Essentially Sports - April 20th, 2020
- 10 Teen Titans Cosplay That Look Just Like The Comics | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - April 20th, 2020
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020