Local Indianapolis duo Brother O Brother takes on artificial intelligence with a heavier sound in their most recent single, Cyborg.
If youre familiar at all with the Indy music scene, then youve no doubt at least heard of Brother O Brother. Their live performances have been dubbed as some of the best in the area, with publications like NUVO going so far as to call them the best rock band in all of Indianapolis.
Ive personally seen Brother O Brother live a few times over the past few years at random venues or music festivals. And Ive got to say, every single time I did, they were one of the most entertaining acts on stage. Its hard to believe just two guys can create so much energy.
Before we get into our song of the day, heres a little bit of info on Brother O Brothers career so far.
Brother O Brother is just two guys, and a lot of rock. Chris Banta brings the shredding guitar and soaring vocals, while Warner Swopes bangs the drums. Similarly to The Black Keys, Banta and Swopes have found success by keeping their lineup simple, and their output relentless.
With roots in garage rock, blues, and gospel, on paper Brother O Brother may look like a Black Keys doppelganger. But as soon as you listen to them, you realize theyve managed to carve out their own niche within the space.
Since 2013, Brother O Brother has been pumping out quality material through a variety of labels including Fonoflo, Grimtale, and Romanus Records. In 2017, Brother O Brother released their most recent album, Neon Native, following it up with their EP Monster Truck last year. Earlier this year, they announced that they were at work on another album with the release of Cyborg.
After listening to Cyborg, fans can expect a change in tone for Brother O Brothers upcoming album. The single brings the high-energy weve all come to expect from Banta and Swopes, but has a heavier edge to it than most of their other material. I know, I know, Monster Truck was pretty dang heavy. But Cyborg is a different kind of heavy. Its much closer to thrash, punk, and metal than anything else theyve made.
Another interesting development we can hear in Cyborg is the light use of electronic sounds and synths. This could be a hint that well be hearing more of that in Brother O Brothers upcoming album. I wouldnt be surprised if this slight shift in style is foreshadowing a concept album around artificial intelligence and technology.
The lyrics and structure of Cyborg seem to reflect that a concept album may be in the works. Halfway through the track, theres a break where Banta belts out a paranoid A.I. monologue.
Hundreds of thousands of years of knowledge wrapped up in mere seconds, mere moments / What was once a wiretap, now turns on your light / Yes, it turns on your wife, turns on your very soul.
It goes on, but I wont ruin the experience of listening to it all first-hand.
Overall, Cyborg is an angry, thrashy push back against the rising influence of artificial intelligence. While listening to Brother O Brothers song on repeat may convince you theres cause to panic, you can probably relax for now. Artificial intelligence isnt going to become a Terminator-level threat anytime soon. Probably.
For the past few months, weve mostly pulled our songs of the day from the realm of relatively well-known or successful musicians. But in doing so, weve unintentionally been ignoring some of the great music thats right in our own backyard. Going forward, well be putting a larger emphasis on showcasing songs from local Indianapolis artists. We want to show off just how awesome our local scene is.
If you like the local Indy scene, be sure to check out LemonWire on YouTube, where were bringing in local artists to our Music Corner and showing them off!
View original post here:
- The Great Divide: What is the biggest dream fight fans missed out on? - MMA Fighting - March 26th, 2020
- Darkseid is Showing Thanos How You REALLY Change Reality - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- 100 Fights to Watch at Home this Weekend - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - March 26th, 2020
- The Mandalorian casts Terminator and Aliens legend Michael Biehn as bounty hunter in Disney+ season 2 - The Irish Sun - March 26th, 2020
- Walking the Walk and Heeding the Talk for Now - The SandPaper - March 26th, 2020
- 15 Female UFC Fighters In Their Workout And Gym Gear | TheThings - TheThings - March 26th, 2020
- Super Promotions: 10 Teen Characters Who Graduated To The Avengers Or Justice League - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 26th, 2020
- DCEU: 10 Ways The Slate Has Changed Since The Franchise Began - Screen Rant - March 26th, 2020
- Here is every UFC womens champion in the history of the promotion - FanSided - March 26th, 2020
- Meet The STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS of Marvel's New Comic - Screen Rant - March 16th, 2020
- Planet Earth Report Cyborgs Will Lead Us to an Intelligent Universe to a New Force of Nature - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel - March 16th, 2020
- 'War of the Worlds' Episode 5: Killer cyborgs' obsession with babies is show's biggest mystery - MEAWW - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists successfully created a cybernetic neural network - The Next Web - March 16th, 2020
- Patricio Freire's title, tourney hopes on the line at closed Bellator event - ESPN - March 16th, 2020
- Scientists Linked Artificial and Biological Neurons in a Networkand Amazingly, It Worked - Singularity Hub - March 16th, 2020
- Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 - Netflix Shares New Stills from Its CG Anime - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 16th, 2020
- The Terminator sequel trilogies that never were - Film Stories - March 16th, 2020
- The Pac-12 in Polaroids - Rule Of Tree - March 16th, 2020
- Who Wants To Help Steve Cohen Build A Trading Cyborg? - Dealbreaker - March 8th, 2020
- Alita's got nothing on this mind-controlled robotic arm that links to your nerves - SYFY WIRE - March 8th, 2020
- 'Don Giovanni' breaks fourth wall, fuses cyborgs with Mozart classic - Indiana University The Penn Online - March 8th, 2020
- 5 Things About Nebula The MCU Changed (& 5 They Kept The Same) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 8th, 2020
- 8 books that inspired fashion collections - Dazed - March 8th, 2020
- Enforce Earbud-Only Zones For The Jerks Infecting The Public With Noise - The Federalist - March 8th, 2020
- Altered Carbon Season 2: Where You Know Trepps Actor From - Screen Rant - March 8th, 2020
- Cyborg | DC - March 4th, 2020
- This is What the Cyborg Movie in the DCEU Can be Like - TVOvermind - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim about a cyborg on a dying Earth - PC Gamer - March 4th, 2020
- Cyborg | Teen Titans Wiki | Fandom - March 4th, 2020
- This YouTube time traveler says hes a cyborg from 2050and he wants you to buy merch - The Daily Dot - March 4th, 2020
- Core Decay is a retro-shooter immersive sim a couple of cyborg on a dying Earth - BingePost - March 4th, 2020
- Energizer Hard Case H280S: A KaiOS-powered blower that can withstand a few knocks - The Register - March 4th, 2020
- DC: 5 Superheroes We'd Want On Our Team In The Zombie Apocalypse (& 5 We Wouldn't) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - March 4th, 2020
- Apple to pay up to $500M over battery-related phone slowdown - ABC 4 - March 4th, 2020
- Felicia 'The FeeNom' Spencer's future could be of vital importance to the UFC after Cris Cyborg fight - Sportskeeda - February 29th, 2020
- Felicia Spencer Aiming For A Title Shot - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - February 29th, 2020
- Teamfight Tactics' next update turns everyone into cyborgs and Sailor Moon - PC Gamer - February 29th, 2020
- Made In Abyss: 10 Burning Questions About Season One That The Sequel Could Finally Answer - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- Star Trek: Picard Fixes The Biggest Problem With First Contact - Screen Rant - February 29th, 2020
- Doctor Who is clearly rewriting the history and future of an iconic villain - SYFY WIRE - February 29th, 2020
- Alita: Battle Angel - 5 Things The Live-Action Movies Got Right (& 5 Things That The Anime Did Better) - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 29th, 2020
- This Cyborg Man Devised a Way to Play Music with His Mind - Beebom - February 29th, 2020
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars episode 1 recap: The Bad Batch blazes into action on Disney Plus - CNET - February 29th, 2020
- Roxane Gay World of Wakanda Was a Short-lived but Brilliant Series - Comic Years - February 29th, 2020
- Cyborg grasshoppers have been engineered to sniff out explosives - New Scientist News - February 23rd, 2020
- 'Cyborg' grasshopper engineered to sniff explosives - E&T Magazine - February 23rd, 2020
- The life of a voluntary cyborg - University Affairs - February 23rd, 2020
- Harley Quinn's Cyborg Might Be Better Than the Justice League's - CBR - Comic Book Resources - February 23rd, 2020
- Sy Borgman: The new Cyborg in town! - Animated Times - February 23rd, 2020
- See Henry Cavill With Black Superman Costume & Beard In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - February 23rd, 2020
- Grievous began to realize far too late - Dork Side of the Force - February 23rd, 2020
- 7 Dance Performances to See in N.Y.C. This Weekend - The New York Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Doom Patrol Season 2 Brings In a New Character Having Cyborg Connection! Find Out Who He/She Is! - Top Buzz Times - February 23rd, 2020
- Fighters and Boxers React to Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder - Heavy.com - February 23rd, 2020
- Scientists create cyborg jellyfish with swimming superpowers - CNET - January 30th, 2020
- New Bellator champ Cris Cyborg was as raw, violent and captivating as ever - The Athletic - January 30th, 2020
- Cyborg Smashes Budd at Bellator 238 to Win Title: Caldwell Taps Borics in Featherweight Grand Prix - BroBible - January 30th, 2020
- B.C. Budd aims to unleash fine form on Cyborg in MMA cage at The Forum - Vancouver Sun - January 30th, 2020
- The J-curve of technology: From Snapchat to cyborgs - Media Update - January 30th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019