by Abby Bratton | published Oct. 8th, 2019
Photo by Jasmine Lin, illustration by Unique Fair-Smith
A sense of vague unease crawls through your mind as you notice that the reflection in your mirror doesnt match your own face,or when a puppet keeps waltzing evenafter its strings have been cut. Then there's the androidthatsmiles whileits eyes stare unblinking into your own. These images of horror story fodder dont rely on fear of the unknown, but of the almost known. Objects that evoke this reaction are said to fall into the uncanny valley.
Chip Sheffield, a professor of the College of Art and Design and faculty affiliate with the School of Individualized Study who created the course Art and Technology: From the Machine Aesthetic to the Cyborg Age, explained the origins of this term. According to Sheffield, the concept of the uncanny valley is credited to the Japanese roboticist Masahiro Mori.
It really has to do with how we would respond to, say, a robot that had human-like attributes or human-like qualities, and the human-likeness of any given entity, and how humans respond to that entity. [Mori] proposes graphing this on an x- and y-axis, Sheffieldsaid.
Moris graph shows that human familiarity or comfort with something increases as it becomes more human-like, until the object reaches approximately 80 percent similarity to a human. At this point, there is a sharp drop-off in familiaritywhich rises up again as the entity approaches 100 percent human-like characteristics. The resulting shape is a valley.
David Simkins, an associate professor with the School of Interactive Games and Media, explained that the uncanny valley is a statistical average rather than an exact reaction experienced by all humans.
Whenever youre talking about the uncanny valley... youre talking about what people see and how it affects them, Simkins said.
Because people react to perception in different ways, Simkins explained, there's some variation in how the uncanny valley affects individuals. However, the phenomenon usually evokes similar emotions.
When we perceive something to be human-like or human, if something is just a little bit off about it,[then]we start to become really uncomfortable interacting with the thing, or being around the thing even," Simkins said. "Its eerily not right, and that sense of it not being right creates anxiety.
One factor that differentiates this phenomenon from other fear reactions is that its source is not always clear.
The interaction with the uncanny valley happens before people are aware usually of whats wrong. So they can identify that they dont like the face or dont like the thing, but they cant necessarily tell you exactly what it is about it that torques them off. Its deep in their perception, Simkins said.
This inability to pin down exactly what is wrong heightens the sense of unease people experience when confronted with the uncanny. At times, they may not even think to look for the source of their anxiety.
As Sheffield put it, we so rarely question, when were looking at another human face, whether that face is human or not.
"We so rarely question, when were looking at another human face, whether that face is human or not."
Once this phenomenon is understood, it can be intentionally avoided or invoked.
Good artists know how to use,and not unintentionally use,the uncanny valley, Simkins said.
The ways thatartists explore the uncanny valley phenomenon go beyond physical designs, he explained. While the uncanny valley has its roots in visual perception, the same idea of uncanniness can be manipulated in music, mood, storyand character movement.
Sheffield alsospoke about artistic examination of the uncanny, in addition to pointing out that awareness of the uncanny is critical in the fields ofprostheticsand facial recognition.
One of the most popular areas for application of this conceptis in the game industry specifically inhorror games.
[Horror games] are a great place to use eeriness, Simkins continued. You want to make your player feel something is eerie, feel anxious, feel a little out of controland if you can ... trigger some of that anxiety before they even know why theyre anxious.Thats a great tool to use to try and get somebody in the mood to be frightened. Thats much of the trick of a horror game, is getting the player to get on board with being willing to be horrified.
While many uncanny games have been created over the years, Simkins recommends The Sinking City and the Silent Hill series as particularly good examples of this phenomenon.
It is always important to realize that [the uncanny valley] is a sociobiological phenomenon, not just a biological phenomenon, Simkins said.
"Thats a great tool to use to try and get somebody in the mood to be frightened."
Thissocial aspect means that the uncanny valley relies heavily on cultural norms. Sheffield also emphasized this point, saying thatthe divide in eastern and western cultural approaches to robotics results in different levels of associated uncanniness.
Not only does the uncanny valley shift between different societies, butit can shift over time, both on an individual and cultural level.
Theres some pushback on the uncanny valley because its not the only thing operating. For one thing, our perception is all socially based, Simkins explained. So when someone gets used to something, it no longer has that uncanny valley response to it."
In terms of more widespread changes, Simkins gave the example of how technological advancements in computer graphics led to an uncanny valley shift. Images and designs that were an accepted standard in the late 20th century are now often considered uncanny because most people are accustomed to a higher degree of realism.
Simkins suspects that this trend may continue as art becomes increasingly cinema-realistic. He predicts the valley will broaden over time as society grows uncomfortable with designs that arent either highly realistic or intentionally abstract.
Because of its cultural and individual relativity, the uncanny valley is a nebulous concept. Perhaps the best way to understand it is to experience it firsthand. If horror games and robotic realism interest you, maybe its time to take the metaphorical plunge down the slopes of the valley. The comforts of the familiar world will be waiting when you climb back out.
- Cris Cyborg reveals one thing Conor McGregor must to do on UFC return - Metro.co.uk - January 19th, 2020
- Thor3D announces 3D scanning bundles with Zbrush and Cyborg - TCT Magazine - January 19th, 2020
- Fans of Flash think Cyborg could be a part of Crisis on Infinite Earth too! - Animated Times - January 19th, 2020
- Cris Cyborg: The Best Featherweights Are In Bellator, UFC Champion Is On An Island (Exclusive) - LowKick MMA - January 19th, 2020
- Bellator star Cris Cyborg reveals WWE and boxing are both possible options for her ahead of Julia Budd clash - NewsChain - January 19th, 2020
- The Flash Fans Think Cyborg Could Be in the Movie Thanks to Crisis on Infinite Earths - Comicbook.com - January 19th, 2020
- Commentators hilariously react to Clippers Kawhi Leonard operating electronic device attached to his knees - ClutchPoints - January 19th, 2020
- Xavier Litt: Chess shows that humans and AI work better together - Irish Examiner - January 19th, 2020
- Revisiting System Shock, and the birth of immersive sim design - PC Gamer - January 19th, 2020
- Horizon: Zero Dawn may reportedly be heading to PC this year - Rock Paper Shotgun - January 19th, 2020
- Grant Gustin Shares BTS Shots of Him and Ezra Miller as Flash - Epicstream - January 19th, 2020
- Scott Coker explains why Cris Cyborg is the greatest female fighter of all time - MMA Mania - December 28th, 2019
- designboom 2020 TECH PREDICTIONS: cyborgs and brainjacking - Designboom - December 28th, 2019
- The best female MMA fighters of the decade - ESPN - December 28th, 2019
- The Coolest (and Scariest) Military Tech of 2019 - Futurism - December 28th, 2019
- The biggest MMA stories of 2019 - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Top 10 MMA fighters of the 2010s: Discussion video, facts about our list - MMA Junkie - December 28th, 2019
- Kevin Smith Reveals His 'Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker' Cameo - Talk Radio 1210 WPHT - December 28th, 2019
- Top-10 MMA fighters of the decade - BJPenn.com - December 28th, 2019
- Henry Cavill's 'The Witcher' Gets An Official Rotten Tomatoes Score - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- 'Star Wars': Adam Driver Hosting First Saturday Night Live Of 2020 - Heroic Hollywood - December 28th, 2019
- Cyborg (comics) - Wikipedia - December 18th, 2019
- AI and the future of work: becoming cyborgs! - Ericsson - December 18th, 2019
- Canadian featherweight Felicia Spencer returns to action on UFC card in Norfolk - The Chronicle Journal - December 18th, 2019
- Watchmen: Damon Lindelof On Why There Were 9 Episodes Instead Of 10 - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- The Witcher: Henry Cavill Says Show Won't Block Him From Superman Role - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- UFC 245 odds, fight card: A closer look at every bout from the early prelims to the main event - CBS Sports - December 18th, 2019
- 'The Falcon and The Winter Soldier' Set Photos Tease New York City Setting - Heroic Hollywood - December 18th, 2019
- Arlene Blencowe thinks she's earned another title shot with win over Leslie Smith at Bellator 233 - MMA Junkie - November 13th, 2019
- Janay Harding: Bellator women's featherweight division is 'almost out of reach for the UFC now' - The Body Lock - November 13th, 2019
- Is Jorge Masvidal now the undisputed BMF? We put together a 32-fighter bracket to find out - The Athletic - November 13th, 2019
- 'Teen Titans GO!' Will Roast Controversial 'Thundercats' Reboot - Heroic Hollywood - November 13th, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization cerebrum waves to control up your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - November 13th, 2019
- Justice League: Has the Snyder Cut Already Been Spoiled? | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 13th, 2019
- Song of the Day: "Cyborg" - LemonWire - November 6th, 2019
- Cyborg Is the Cure for DCeaseds Zombie Virus - Or At Least He WAS - CBR - Comic Book Resources - November 6th, 2019
- Venom 2: Tom Hardy Teases Fight With Woody Harrelson's Carnage In Pic - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Daniel Craig's No Time To Die Is The Most Expensive James Bond Film - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- Anthony Mackie Reveals First Look At Falcon & The Winter Soldier - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The only thing deadlier than Leslie Smiths hands is (apparently) her Chapstick - MMA Mania - November 6th, 2019
- The worlds largest cruise ship has a bar with robot bartenders. Heres how my margarita compared to one made by a human. - Business Insider - November 6th, 2019
- Keanu Reeves Goes Public With First Girlfriend In Decades - Heroic Hollywood - November 6th, 2019
- The Top 15 Onscreen Terminator Robots, Ranked in Order - Superherohype.com - November 6th, 2019
- Grant Gustin Dons Green Lantern-Impressed The Flash Go well with In Neat Fan Art - The Media Hq - November 6th, 2019
- Behind The Night: Diaz vs Cyborg - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill roboticist on his way to becoming the world's first full cyborg - Firstpost - October 21st, 2019
- Disembodied cyborg hand can solve a Rubiks Cube using scary smart AI - SYFY WIRE - October 21st, 2019
- ALS affected, terminally-ill Robotics expert will transform himself into the world's first 'cyborg' - Digit - October 21st, 2019
- Is this guitar-playing cyborg from Japan the future of heavy metal? - Guitar World - October 21st, 2019
- Dying scientist is about to become first cyborg - Times of India - October 21st, 2019
- The Terminator timeline explained: Every key event from the franchise in chronological order - GamesRadar - October 21st, 2019
- Ruby Rose's Batwoman & Grant Gustin's The Flash Unite In Arrowverse Crossover BTS Photos - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- Creating the Symbiotic AI Workforce of the Future - MIT Sloan - October 21st, 2019
- See Keanu Reeves Transform Into The MCU's Ghost Rider In New Image - Heroic Hollywood - October 21st, 2019
- The wearable cyborgs that utilization mind waves to catalyst your muscles - Herald Journalism 24 - October 21st, 2019
- Terminally-ill scientist is about to 'transform' into world's first full cyborg - Mirror Online - October 16th, 2019
- Taika Waititi Confirms Korg Will Return In 'Thor: Love And Thunder' - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- J.J. Abrams Spider-Man book killed The Avengers in a very Abrams way - Polygon - October 16th, 2019
- 'Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Runtime Possibly Revealed - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Preparing municipalities for customers of the future - ESI Africa - October 16th, 2019
- Jesse Eisenberg On His Future As Lex Luthor With DC Films - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- BMF Resume: Justin Gaethje - The Official Website of the Ultimate Fighting Championship - October 16th, 2019
- 'Sonic The Hedgehog Halloween Masks Are On Sale & They're Horrifying - Heroic Hollywood - October 16th, 2019
- Teen Titans: How Kid Flash Helped Shape the Iconic DC Team | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 16th, 2019
- Review: The Ninja Saviors - Return of the Warriors - Destructoid - October 16th, 2019
- World of Warcraft's upcoming races revealed: adorable foxes and cyborg gnomes - PC Gamer - October 9th, 2019
- Goodbye humans, hello cyborgs: The moment of Singularity is nigh - Daily Maverick - October 9th, 2019
- 'Avengers' Directors Share First Photo From 'Cherry' With Tom Holland - Heroic Hollywood - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Key DC Characters Who Debuted In The 90s | CBR - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Insight: Transhumanists believe in the bionic body beautiful - The Scotsman - October 9th, 2019
- 10 Best DC Cosplays That Look Exactly Like The Characters - CBR - Comic Book Resources - October 9th, 2019
- Airbus Planes Will Track How Often Passengers Go to the Bathroom - September 14th, 2019
- Watch a Robot Fish Fly by Shooting Water out of Its Rear - September 14th, 2019
- Residents Are Trying to Flee Russian Town Where Snow Turned Black - September 14th, 2019
- This Startup Will Send DNA From Your Spit to the Moon for $99 - September 14th, 2019
- FBI Investigation Targets Trump Booster Peter Thiel’s VC Firm - September 14th, 2019
- YouTube Influencers Are Mentally Collapsing From Stress - September 14th, 2019
- Watch SpaceX Test Its Crew Dragon’s Escape System - September 14th, 2019
- MIT Community Horrified by Famed Researcher’s Epstein Outburst - September 14th, 2019
- Unlike MIT, Harvard Cut Off Epstein Donations After Conviction - September 14th, 2019